Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 11:27   #31
BHPian

Re: Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer

I hope your number plate issues get resolved mate. I can understand it's frustrating to have an issue like that on a new car. Let the dealership bear the costs entirely as it's their own doing.

As for the dealership stickers on the rear windshield -that's a damn shame. They have no right to mess with your property and ask them to take that off. Make sure that happens in front of you because from the evidence so far competency isn't their strong suit.

As for your remarks about compensation - I'm with you on that. In any country with a healthy consumer protection regime you would be completely right. I'm kind of surprised that some people think that demanding a compensation is something other worldly and unheard of. As I think about it the reason could be that it's just what we have been used to- as Indians- being on the receiving end of a power imbalance in a market driven by manufacturers. It's hard for some of us to even fathom that we may have rights, and those rights can be and may be enforced. Now, we might differ on what the quantum of that compensation could be, but as a forum of supposed enthusiasts it'll be much better if within this limited space we can have each other's backs rather than calling out people for thinking they could deserve some sort of compensation for when things go wrong.
BrakeDancer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:53   #32

Contrary to the majority opinion, 50K compensation doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Dealers need to be careful with what they do with the customer's car. This kind of compensation will act as a deterrent and make the dealer think twice before handling a car irresponsibly
SandyN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

I would be furious if I saw something like that. It does look crooked, such an expensive car having a twisted no. plate looks bad. The system is a little different here in TS. It takes a while for your HSR to arrive at the dealer. I had the SA call me when my plate arrived. I made sure that marking were taken perfectly before the plate was drilled to it's proper place. Also, while taking delivery of my car, I made it sure that the showroom should not stick any kind of stickers anywhere. Not only that, I make it a point at every place like water servicing, community parking stickers, wheel alignment guys and FNGs. I just hate to see my windshield having stickers all over.
Raghu M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 16:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

On a general note, many showrooms (and their vendors) have a below-average level of workmanship for this simple yet very important piece of assembly. Even in earlier times the acrylic plate used to be misaligned and tightened to seventh heaven leading to cracks propagating through the plate in tension, in a matter of months

The example quoted on this thread should be treated as damage due to negligence
Old 28th July 2022, 16:35   #35
d.j
BHPian

Sorry, if this sound little out of place but would you consider giving a sort of cosmetic touch up, so that the plate doesn’t looks this much crooked. I mean, adding an inverted crooked frame or an outline, which makes it like a larger rectangle and abnormality at one angle ( number plate) is compensated at another angle ( outside frame). I have faced similar scenario with our Tiguan but it wasn’t so much outward and slowly my eyes got adapted to it, left it so.

Regards/DJ
Old 28th July 2022, 19:36   #36
BHPian

Hello Friends,

In my experience in Nexa JP Nagar when the technician in the showroom fixed my HSRP in my 2022 XL6 he had a measuring tape and a spirit level, he measured, marked on the plates, ensured the HSRP is in the middle, LH aligned, RH aligned, Top aligned, Bottom aligned used the measuring tape and the spirit level to align & centre before he rivetted the HSRP on the car, I was very impressed with the quality of work and gave a generous tip.

Thanks
Sanjeev V S is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:51   #37
BHPian

I would have just read past this thread and not posted a comment, were it not for the Rs 50k demand. Have we gone the American way? Can the mental agony from a tilted number plate be quantified to be equivalent to an amount that can get you a premium smart phone, a decent mirrorless camera, or something similar? Heck, I would probably do a DIY and solve it. If that's illegal, I would like to know, because that's exactly what I had done. In a collision with a Zomato bike, the front HS number plate of my car came loose. I fixed it myself with double sided adhesive tape and new screw (not rivet).

On the other hand there may be possibility of applying for replacement number plate and destroy the old one. In which case the dealer should bear all expenses.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:55   #38
BHPian

I had similar issue in my seltos and they just removed one rivet and adjusted the alignment. Only issue is the screws on the plate wont be in a straight line but the overall plate will be aligned and we cannot notice any issue. Even if you want to replace the rear plate, the dealer told me Rs.410 per plate and they were ready to buy a new plate but I refused.
Old 28th July 2022, 22:37   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I would have just read past this thread and not posted a comment, were it not for the Rs 50k demand. Have we gone the American way? Can the mental agony from a tilted number plate be quantified to be equivalent to an amount that can get you a premium smart phone, a decent mirrorless camera, or something similar?
I think it is not so bad to ask for 50k compensation. Whether he gets it or not, it will help the dealer be more careful with the next customers who could be you or me.
By the way, I really don't think it's because he wants the money - it is to get the dealer to deal with it quickly. Legal compensations always quote high and settle for less. So yeah, demand 50k and settle for some lesser amount closer to the actual expenses, if it comes to that, or maybe leave it out. It's shoddy work done - they have to help it get corrected. And worst case, if he feels they are not competent to do it, get it sorted from outside. Ragin-Ice's own choice of drilling a new hole on the number plate is a good enough solution.

I hope this gets sorted soon and the family can get back quickly to the mood of celebrations on the new buy.
Old 28th July 2022, 22:51   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Incorrect. There are 3 sets of very noticeable dimples of varied lengths to suit your number plate on the hatch door of Alcazar.
After zooming in, I think I know what's happened.
Considering the number plate is lower on the left side, the installer used slot #2 on the left but slot #1 on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
No biggie,
You just need to add another sticker.
This is the best solution ever! Take a bow viXit
RedTerrano is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 23:27   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
After zooming in, I think I know what's happened.
Considering the number plate is lower on the left side, the installer used slot #2 on the left but slot #1 on the right.
Possible but not probable. It’s hard to mess up so badly. Here’s one wild suspicion...since the OP wrote that there wasn’t any guide hole, and also the installer didn’t have any clue, is it possible that the rear hatch was damaged in transit to the dealership and then repaired thereafter at workshop and they covered the dimples with body fillers during the repair? Of course, this is a possibility only if there were actually no guide holes on the hatch.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 07:00   #42
BANNED

This thread went from bad, to worse, to absolutely funny.
Didn't expect seeing something like this on the forum.

It really doesnt matter if your number plate is straight or crooked by an inch. It's there is what is important. The camera's and the authorities that want to give you a ticket will surely be able to view and read it. 50k in compensation or boot replacement seems out of the world. Thank god the owner isn't requesting Hyundai to replace the car.

I faced a similar issue with my car, the dealership themself fixed it with a frame which looked cooler.
WhiteWash is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 13:00   #43
BHPian

This is something very similar to what I went through when getting the i10nios. I have observed most of the rear HSRPs fitted cross, and also fastag being pasted where I usually dont prefer (just below the IRVM) because of the aesthetics as well as since it comes in the way of the dashcam view a little. So i specifically requested the dealership not to paste the fastag (since they were tied up with Axis Bank and I wanted to get one from Paytm) and to fix the HSRP in my presence.

But promptly Axis Bank fastag was pasted and the HSRP was fixed cross. This was so annoying, but I just let it pass. This is when i realised how difficult it is to remove a fastag. As for the crooked HSRP, could not do anything about it.

So, when getting the Taigun I shared this experience with the sales executive. Though they were tied up with Kotak for fastag, they did not paste it on the windshield, i bought the Paytm fastag and stuck it in the position of my choice. As for the rear HSRP, it was fixed in my presence - but surprisingly they bolted it on and did not put the rivets.

Attaching pictures for reference.
Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-screenshot_20220729125327.jpg

Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-screenshot_20220729125515.jpg

Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-img_20220715_085754.jpg
Osteon206 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 13:26   #44
Senior - BHPian

I have seen crooked number plates on all kind of cars (luxury cars included). My colleague has recently bought a Kia Sonet HTK+ and he took me along to the local Kia service center for HSRP installation. He was chilling in the customer lounge with no intention to be around when the plates are fixed. On my insistence, we remained present around the car during the time when this process was being completed. We ensured that old sticker of temporary number is removed completely and plates are aligned properly. Looks like the thread starter also did not remain present around the car during HSRP installation.

Most dealerships stick their names on the rear windscreen and it is not an issue unless someone wants to make one out of it for the sake of making money by calling it an inconvenience. It just takes two minutes to remove it. The Arsh Hyundai sticker is ugly though and stuck at the center of the glass rather than top or bottom center.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 13:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWash View Post
It really doesnt matter if your number plate is straight or crooked by an inch. It's there is what is important. The camera's and the authorities that want to give you a ticket will surely be able to view and read it.
A crooked number plate is an eyesore. No one would like to see such an appalling sight everyday. When you buy a car with hard-earned money, you expect everything to be slick. A lot of us have disagreed with the compensation demand of the concerned member, however one thing he isn't wrong about is his expectation that a crooked number plate should not be affixed to his car.
IamNikhil is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks