Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2022, 00:20   #1
BANNED

Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer

Hi members,

I just got the delivery of my Alcazar Petrol AT Signature 6 seater from Arsh Hyundai Sion. The sales experience was very smooth as well as the delivery process.

However, when I reached home and was clicking pictures, I realised that the number plate at the back looked crooked. Upon closer inspection I realised that the High Security Number Plates (HSRP) are riveted to the body of the car and are installed after drilling holes into the car body. To remove the rivets one has to drill again.

I was surprised that Arsh Hyundai even thought it is ok to give me the car like this. The Signature top end variant is only available in 'Signature' Hyundai dealerships.

The bottomline is that the top end has everything and the only thing that the dealer had to do was to install the number plate and they messed it up!

I immediately posted the pics on the Whatsapp group that was created as a part of the sales process with Arsh Hyundai employees. They are offering to replace the number plate and use a plastic frame. The difference is of almost an inch in the height level. I am not even sure if the frame will help. The other option would be to drill holes in the new number plate at different levels to ensure that no new holes are drilled in the boot door.

They workshop is almost 20 kms away. Arsh Hyundai doesn't even have the courtesy of offering to pay for transport leave alone compensate me for this mishap. I have asked them for Rs.50,000 as compensation in cash or kind but looking at their insensitive approach I have no hope.

What do the members feel I should do?

Also, to add, they have put up the Arsh Hyundai sticker right in the center of the rear windshield blocking my vision! and of course without my consent.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-hyundai-alcazar-number-plate.jpeg  

Ragin_Ice is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 02:03   #2
BHPian

re: Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer

Arsh is a notorious dealership anyway.

You should have caught this though when you were at the dealership itself. Anyway, even though their idiocy is inexcusable, demanding 50,000/- for this is a bit unreasonable in my opinion. If they have offered to issue a new number plate and encase it with a frame, that would be a proper solution. Get them to issue frames for both front and back plates. Tell them to send someone from their staff to your place to get this sorted, it's a 10 minute job.
IamNikhil is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 07:33   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNikhil View Post
Arsh is a notorious dealership anyway.

You should have caught this though when you were at the dealership itself. Anyway, even though their idiocy is inexcusable, demanding 50,000/- for this is a bit unreasonable in my opinion. If they have offered to issue a new number plate and encase it with a frame, that would be a proper solution. Get them to issue frames for both front and back plates. Tell them to send someone from their staff to your place to get this sorted, it's a 10 minute job.
Actually it’s not a 10 minute job. I have later found out that if the plate is not riveted back then you can be issued a challan by the traffic cops and it’s between 5000 to 10,000 bucks.
The frame will not work here.

Also to remove the existing plates one needs to drill holes through the existing rivets

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.times...w/85814330.cms

Last edited by Ragin_Ice : 26th July 2022 at 07:55.
Ragin_Ice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 07:56   #4
Team-BHP Support

Man, that looks really lousy and hurried. To top it, the dealership’s name and number on the windshield is an eyesore like a big ad!

Please take this up with the dealership and let them drill out the left rivet alone, align the plate properly and secure it back. Use a drill bit large enough to remove the rivet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Ice View Post
I have asked them for Rs.50,000 as compensation in cash or kind but looking at their insensitive approach I have no hope.
Dude, that’s a bit too much. The dealer has erred but asking for a compensation this high is absurd.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2022 at 08:48.
Gannu_1 is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 08:21   #5
BHPian

Getting the stickers removed isn't a huge hassle. You can DIY at home, provided you have a hair dryer, some patience and WD-40.

Try going to a local garage to sort out the number plate if you're not happy with the showroom; one would wonder you seek 50,000 bucks for this. Much more cost effective.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 09:03   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Man, that looks really lousy and hurried. To top it, the dealership’s name and number on the windshield is an eyesore like a big ad!

Please take this up with the dealership and let them drill out the left rivet alone, align the plate properly and secure it back. Use a drill bit large enough to remove the rivet.

Dude, that’s a bit too much. The dealer has erred but asking for a compensation this high is absurd.
This solution will need another hole to be drilled and the existing hole will remain open. That will lead to water seepage in the boot door. The back part is Fiber.

You cannot even repair the Fiber part and it only can be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Getting the stickers removed isn't a huge hassle. You can DIY at home, provided you have a hair dryer, some patience and WD-40.

Try going to a local garage to sort out the number plate if you're not happy with the showroom; one would wonder you seek 50,000 bucks for this. Much more cost effective.
The new HSRP number plates are not given to local garages. It’s only to authorised dealers to avoid car theft.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th July 2022 at 22:52. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Old 26th July 2022, 14:03   #7
BHPian

The dealership will procure the new plate for you. Considering there's no option but to drill another hole, the existing hole will have to be covered-up with the new plate and frame. You'll have to stand on their hand and ensure they don't mess up yet again. Be doubly sure of the alignment this time.
Old 26th July 2022, 15:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

50K compensation for a tilted number plate? Conveyance money?

What next... A brand new car as the dealer sticker is hampering your vision?

Sorry to say, but your demands are quite outrageous (kinda first world issues too, but let that slide).

I do understand that that you have paid top bucks to get a top end variant, but to err is human. It's a simple human error which can be easily fixed. Why lose sleep over that and go bonkers with demands in the name of customer service?

If dealerships need to be prompt in ensuring top notch customer service, customers also need to be reasonable with their expectations. The dealership has already offered to replace the number plate and that's all you should ask from them in my opinion.

Enjoy your new car!
raj_5004 is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 15:25   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

2 options I would suggest :
1. Get a plastic frame, have them make the rivet on the frame in line with the existing holes & have a new number plate installed in frame without making any holes in plate.
2. Get new number plate, have hole on the boot filled up so there is no damage to body, and have the new number plate stuck with 3M VHB tape.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 17:37   #10
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am a bit confused here. I thought the new HSRP number plates have to be riveted to the vehicle and that is one of the security feature that it cannot be easily removed and tampered like a screwed plate. What is the issue here?
Old 26th July 2022, 18:18   #11
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
2. Get new number plate, have hole on the boot filled up so there is no damage to body, and have the new number plate stuck with 3M VHB tape.
Is sticking the new high security plates with tape allowed? I was under the impression that riveting it is mandatory.
ike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 20:41   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
50K compensation for a tilted number plate? Conveyance money?

What next... A brand new car as the dealer sticker is hampering your vision?

Sorry to say, but your demands are quite outrageous (kinda first world issues too, but let that slide).

I do understand that that you have paid top bucks to get a top end variant, but to err is human. It's a simple human error which can be easily fixed. Why lose sleep over that and go bonkers with demands in the name of customer service?

If dealerships need to be prompt in ensuring top notch customer service, customers also need to be reasonable with their expectations. The dealership has already offered to replace the number plate and that's all you should ask from them in my opinion.

Enjoy your new car!
Its not an easy fix.

Hyundai has asked the dealership to replace the boot panel as the issue is unfixable.

You cannot put a plate as according to the new HSRP (High Security Registration Plates) rules, the rivets need to be visible. If you rivet the frame instead of the number plate then the whole purpose is lost as the plate can easily be stolen.

To remove the existing riveted plate one has to drill through the rivet which widens the hole in the fibre/plastic panel and re-riveting it will give it a lose fit.

Also one needs to understand that the Alcazar doesn't have any guide holes for the rear and one needs to use a stencil to make the marking.

I have been proposed putting lambi (which works for metal), using plastic frame - which makes it illegal among other things. Why should I not ask for compensation for the inconvenience that I have endured trying to get the right resolution?

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2022 at 13:53. Reason: Cleaning up
Ragin_Ice is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 22:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
To remove the existing riveted plate one has to drill through the rivet which widens the hole in the fibre/plastic panel and re-riveting it will give it a lose fit.
Yes I agree the correct installation of rivet is not easy and no one does it correctly but taking out the rivet is much easier then you said. No need to drill hole over it. There are pull type cutter. Cut the head and you are done. Thats how number plates are replaced. I have done twice.
Infact I wondered how the rivet was tamper-proof mechanism when it takes less time to replace then the ones which are screwed.

Yes the number plate needs to be have visible rivet which means even if you use the frame you need to have hole.

Now the big question is why we need to drill fresh hole in body. Well this is short cut and easy fix for installer as correct procedure is too tricky and can still fail.

Now the correct procedure. The automobile companies do provide holes for number plate but they are large and need to use spring type washer and/or a fixer behind number plate. Same can also hold the rivet. You need the right size rivet (which can ballon into thicker head inside) and secondly you need a template to drill the hole in exact location of the existing holes.

We as owner do not have problem with drilling holes on front as they are in plastic bumper and not metal but rear number plates are likely to be on metal body and it hurts. It did hurt me when they drilled in my Ford Endeavour which do haves holes. It was not only drilling which bothered me, I imagined all the way upto drill damaging the inner wiring for door locks, Camera and what not. But everything is holding fine. So the lesson is you can’t do much just learn to live with it. If possible please apply some rust preventer or may be paint itself once the holes are drilled provide the installer is ready to wait.
Bottom line, just chill and enjoy drive.

Last edited by Wanderers : 26th July 2022 at 22:11.
Wanderers is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2022, 22:54   #14
BHPian

If you cannot live with it (and it is looking quite odd), Hyundai's solution or replacing the boot is the best solution. Request a factory painted boot door if possible. Given the quality of workmanship at the dealer, god knows what they'll do with the painting.

For me, the number plate fixing (albeit retro) was done in front of me and they checked with me before drilling. Different OEM, different city though.
Old 27th July 2022, 01:07   #15
BHPian

Quote:
This solution will need another hole to be drilled and the existing hole will remain open. That will lead to water seepage in the boot door. The back part is Fiber.

You cannot even repair the Fiber part and it only can be replaced.
No, it won't lead to any water issues. Yes you will have to drill the rivets. No, your existing holes would be filled with new rivets. You can see all this by removing the cover of boot from inside. You will be able to see the rivets too.

Every car has two points in the boot or bumper where plates are riveted. There are no other points where plates can be affixed unless they drill directly to the car's body i.e Boot. If they did that then you have larger problems than just misaligned plate and then your justification for 50k would seem right.

To fix this, just tell them to get one plate, they are available as a single piece. This time tell them to fix it properly.

Speaking all this from experience. My first set of plates had turned completely white, had no option but to get them replaced.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks