Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2018, 17:50   #4411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Quick question - for a stolen car, when do the cops generally issue a non traceable certificate so that I can submit it as part of the insurance claim required documents? (Claim made within 24 hours of the theft on 18/10 and all other documents have been submitted to the insurer).
Bumping this. Anyone who has gone through the process, please get in touch. Thanks.
Old 29th November 2018, 19:41   #4412
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1 View Post
I don't know if Digit can be trusted as there is not much info or reviews available.

Another query - what is the 'Tyre Cover' add on? Does it cover punctures etc. or just tyre thefts?
Digit is a new entrant to the motor insurance business and has been offering some really goof discounts on the car insurance. The buying experience of a few of my friends have been good. It needs to be confirmed whether the claim process is also equally good. But Digit should be good to go.

Tyre cover add on is basically to cover the costs of tyres and tubes during any claim. Please note that most Insurance cos offer this add on cover for only compensating tyre cost when claimed during an accident and not other wise. The compensation is based on the tread loss too which is a bit more complicated. Surprisingly only Royal Sundaram is an exception which provides the add on cover for claims other than accident too.
Quote:
1. Due to impact cuts, bursts.
2. Due to impact bulging of side wall excluding manufacturing defect, chemical or atmospheric damages
3. Flattening of Tyre due to Hard Braking.
You will need to read the T&C's of the add on cover before you want to opt for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandra1 View Post
Moving to some other company and will never recommend HDFC Ergo to anyone.
Surprising. My purchasing process was super smooth with HDFC ergo rep calling almost a month before the renewal date. Initially they didn't offer zero dep add on, but after negotiations they agreed to provide the same. If you are not satisfied with their response, you should find an alternative for sure.

Quote:
Quick question - for a stolen car, when do the cops generally issue a non traceable certificate so that I can submit it as part of the insurance claim required documents? (Claim made within 24 hours of the theft on 18/10 and all other documents have been submitted to the insurer).
Generally the non traceable certificate is issued to the complainant within 90 days of registering the complaint. This is as per one of my colleagues and for Mumbai police jurisdiction. I am unable to find any section under which the non traceability certificate needs to issued by police, if I get any info will post. All the best buddy.
Just check out these old posts for reference:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post2043586 (Car Stolen Need help)
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 19:59   #4413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Generally the non traceable certificate is issued to the complainant within 90 days of registering the complaint. This is as per one of my colleagues and for Mumbai police jurisdiction.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post2043586 (Car Stolen Need help)
Thanks! Quite useful. I guess I just have to wait till mid January then.
Old 29th November 2018, 20:07   #4414
BHPian

I am in the market for a new car. Dealers are quoting Zero Depreciation as standard and few are saying it is mandatory to go for Zero Dep (forget about getting it from outside). Also they are saying the difference is only 10% in the premium value.

Can you please clarify the following?
1. What is the difference in premium between comprehensive vs zero depreciation?
2. Is it worth to pay that additional premium for the insurance?

Sorry I could not get the direct answer for this query with rational in the previous pages of this forum hence this question.
Old 29th November 2018, 20:20   #4415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
I am in the market for a new car. Dealers are quoting Zero Depreciation as standard and few are saying it is mandatory to go for Zero Dep (forget about getting it from outside). Also they are saying the difference is only 10% in the premium value.

Can you please clarify the following?
1. What is the difference in premium between comprehensive vs zero depreciation?
2. Is it worth to pay that additional premium for the insurance?

Sorry I could not get the direct answer for this query with rational in the previous pages of this forum hence this question.
Few things first:
1) There is Comprehensive Insurance which is inclusive of Own damage and Third party Liability and Third party liability insurance. Only two types.
2) Zero depreciation is an add on cover in addition to the Comprehensive Insurance. This add on cover costs additional cost over and above the comprehensive insurance premium and is a must for the new cars.
3) Dealer will always charge a hefty premium for Insurance where as it is cheaper to buy directly from outside.

Since you are buying new car, you will have to pay 3 yrs Third party liability premium, I hope you aware of that. Enquire with the dealer with which Insurance co does the car manufacturer whose model you intend to buy has a national tie up with. Check out the premium quotes online on that Insurance co website. If the dealer is trying to arm twist you in buying the Insurance from them only, then ask them to compare their cost with online quote. If they don't you have every right to buy insurance from outside.

Take an informed decision.
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 22:54   #4416
BHPian

Hi. My policy is up for renewal for the third year. I have had all add-ons possible available from the company till now, and wish to know the usefulness of two of these:

1. RTI (Return To Invoice)
2. Tyre Secure

I am aware exactly of what these are for, and what they allow. My question is more towards the practical benefits that these provide as these two add-ons alone make up 25% of the total premium amount for this year.

PS: RTI is available for the last time for the following year alone, it would not be an option from the 4th year anyway.

Edit: insurer is TATAAIG.

Last edited by ach1lles : 29th November 2018 at 22:55.
Old 30th November 2018, 07:45   #4417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
My question is more towards the practical benefits that these provide as these two add-ons alone make up 25% of the total premium amount for this year.
RTI is beneficial only in case of total loss. Tyre secure is a bit more complicated process of claim reimbursement depending mainly on the tyre tread. IMHO I think you should chuck these two add ons provided you think your more of a sober driver and limited to city driving. If you are a frequent highway driver, then possibly you could keep it for an year or so.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:58   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for this delayed reply. Here in Bengaluru, after about a month of theft, when we (my BIL's vehicle was stolen) went to cops to know the status, they said there is no progress still. After returning home from police station, one of the cops called and said there is no hope of finding the vehicle as chances are very less and that such cases from more than a year back are still pending. So, his advice - instead of waiting, if we can pay something, they will close the case and issue a letter for insurance claim. From their talk, it didn't look like they were bound to issue any certificate within 90 days or even after that, as mentioned by ghodlur for Mumbai. However, decided to wait for some more time, and finally, after others too suggesting it's of no use waiting for cops to find it, paid Rs. 500 and got that certificate after about three months of the theft. The theft happened in July 2018 and got the certificate from cops in October 2018. Insurance company said it will be processed within 45 days, but payment was credited much earlier than that. Again, this is all with respect to Bengaluru cops, so logic may differ from state to state. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by shijanto4 : 2nd December 2018 at 10:00.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2018, 20:35   #4419
BHPian

Posting on behalf of one of my colleague who is having a harrowing experience dealing with a claim with DIGIT.

Team BHP,

I would like to share an incident recently happened with me. I am working as a Sr. Manager in an MNC. Responsibilities recently magnified as I was progressed to the next role. I worked stretched shift on Friday (16th Nov) overlapping with Saturday (17th Nov) to cope up with my next level duties. While coming back, via my HONDA CIVIC, to my home (Paschim Vihar) that day, I met with an accident opposite to Peera Garhi CNG station. Four to five guys in a MARUTI SWIFT car suddenly took an illegitimate U-turn, bringing their car abrubtly in front of me, in a perpendicular fashion, leaving no chance for me to react or avoid the accident, and then BANG! - this all resulted into a horrific crash. I was saved sheer because I was wearing seatbelt and the air bags also inflated to minimize the impact. This incident happened close to my home so I immediately called up my parents. As soon as my parents came, I did a call to 100 to report the incidence. Meanwhile, the culprit guys tried to escape through the car via wrong side, but couldn't, because their car rear right wheel got jammed due to the accident. They couldn't get far enough, not more than 100 meters because of their stuck rear right wheel. They were absolutely drunk so they all decided to run away leaving their car, to avoid medical examination & it's consequences. One of that guy came once in the interim, trying to compensate the situation, to which I didn't utter a word, to avoid making situation more worse. He ended up obnoxiously talking to me because of the same reason, and since I was alone, tried to overpower me, because my parents and police were not there yet. Sigh of relief that my parents appeared and then I reached out to them to have a talk with that culprit guy. He started walking away saying that I don't want to talk but suddenly the spectators or bystanders had too much to digest so they all started beating up that guy to extremes of tearing his clothes. I still had a stance to save him from extended beating. Culprit guy was constantly reciting that today is my birthday, being totally out of his senses, and was expecting a special treatment. At last he also sneaked away as his other partners. To conclude the situation, my father advised me to retract the police complaint, being AAM AADMI, to avoid any schedule fluctuations in my professional career, and most importantly with me being intact. All ended up with a hope that the loss will be settled through the insurance claim so 'relax'. However, this resulted in a nightmare because of the unprofessional and biased response from DiGiT insurance team, as explained in detail, with specifics as follows:

KEY INFO:
• CLAIM # - 201800015141
• Insurer - DIGIT
• Policy # - D001694137
• Policy issue dt - 6th October'18
• IDV - 374751 INR

• DIGIT surveyor - Mr Hemant Kumar (Hemant.Kumar@godigit.com)
• External surveyor - Mr Mukesh Mendiratta (mukeshmendiratta34@gmail.com)

• Total repair expense assessment from authorized HONDA workshop - 840717 INR
• HONDA expense sheet - enclosed

• Total repair expense assessment submitted by external surveyor - 463869 INR
• Insurer liability (after applying the depreciation) - 248921 INR
• Insurer expense sheet - enclosed

As per consideration from HONDA estimate = 8.4 lacs, even if we account for maximum depreciation of 50% to compute insurer liability, it comes out to be = 4.2 lacs, that is truely well over 75% of IDV (281,063) i.e. 4.2 lacs > 2.8 lacs, thus a sheer case of CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS(CTL).

However, forceful attempt being made by the insurer to understate the insurer liability, as per the expense report submitted by them = 2.48 lacs (after depreciation), less than 75% of IDV (281,063) i.e. 2.48 < 2.8, to avoid CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS scenario.

CONSTRUCTIVE TOTAL LOSS situation here is evident because of following reasons:
1. Estimation at authorized HONDA workshop must have done with due diligence, leveraging their expertise capabilities, to compute the repair estimate, with min/max estimate variance of 10%. However, the difference between HONDA authorized workshop assessment of 8.4 lacs, as compared with surveyor repair estimate of 4.6 lacs is more than 40%, that is questioning the integrity of the surveyor guesstimate.
2. Considering the fact, ultimately, HONDA authorised workshop is the one where the car has to be repaired, not under surveyor capabilities, so HONDA authorised workshop assessment should be deemed final.
3. Based on surveyor estimation approach, their repair guesstimate is based on actual damages, that are just visible upfront from naked eye, however the car is not in working condition, not taking ignition at all, plus the clutch is totally free, which has not taken into consideration so far. Thus, the damages are tend to increase as the car will go through the complete scanning process, that would only be possible once the car is operational. This would certainly lead to increase the repair cost.
4. In nutshell, all of the expenses have been evaluated based on the existing visual damages of the car, just reviewing the damages at the surface level. However, more deeper diagnostic would be done once the car is dismantled for repair, to reveal more intricate damages, and that's going to potentially increase the repair evaluation.

Kindly advise on how to resolve this situation, and what next steps to be considered.

Furthermore, if it’s not CTL, and we would not want to go for repairs since the repair cost is significant, so what would be the other option(s) available with us for the claim settlement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DiGiT Repair Assessment.pdf (37.0 KB, 697 views)
File Type: pdf HONDA Repair Assessment.PDF (42.4 KB, 869 views)
Maverick Avi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 17:16   #4420
BHPian

Just recently bought car insurance thru Coverfox for my yet to buy Hyundai Creta 1.6 SX(O) CRDI

HDFC Ergo - ~61 (listed in coverfox)
Future Generali - ~ 60
New India - ~ 57 (listed in coverfox) - not cashless
Cholamandalam ~ 70

All zero dep (1 yr + 3 TP).

Future Generali call center guys called and given quote of 62k. When I said HDFC is 61k they discussed with their so called higher ups and given 1000 INR discount.
The call center guys kept re-iterating that they have tie ups with Hyundai and good relationship. Since they kept on telling the same for more than 3 times I started doubting them and went ahead with buying HDFC ERGO .

HDFC has cashless facility with my dealer. Also, I could see some bad reviews about Future Generali and I was wasting much time going thru the reviews. I felt HDFC is much more reputed than Generali. So finally went ahead and bought HDFC for 61k zero dep.

Last edited by deemash : 5th December 2018 at 17:18.
Old 9th December 2018, 12:32   #4421
Senior - BHPian

I was planning to renew my Suzuki Access's insurance today, and was shocked to see that the premium is now Rs 1960 for an IDV of Rs 23450. Last year it was Rs 1140 for an IDV of Rs 24700.

Have the premiums really shot up that much? Or should I change to another provider from Bajaj Allianz?
Old 9th December 2018, 23:12   #4422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was planning to renew my Suzuki Access's insurance today, and was shocked to see that the premium is now Rs 1960 for an IDV of Rs 23450. Last year it was Rs 1140 for an IDV of Rs 24700.

Have the premiums really shot up that much? Or should I change to another provider from Bajaj Allianz?
Changing insurer may not help much. I too was shocked to see my Honda Activa renewal premium last month. It had increased by about 75% compared to last year. When inquired, they said IRDA has revised all third party insurance premiums with effect from September 1, 2018. Now worried what will happen to my car insurance premium in coming April.
shijanto4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 11:25   #4423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Posting on behalf of one of my colleague who is having a harrowing experience dealing with a claim with DIGIT.

Kindly advise on how to resolve this situation, and what next steps to be considered.
I call myself an Insurance domain expert, but when it comes to claim settlements, my knowledge comes a cropper. Sorry but this is the best I can offer - please consider taking it to an insurance ombudsman - http://ecoi.co.in/ombudsman.html

The above URL has the IRDA approved list of ombudsmen. I'd suggest speaking to a lawyer specializing in general insurance settlements for an opinion. If he feels that you have a winnable case, take it to the nearest ombudsman. If one thing works in India, it is the concept of a Banking or an insurance Ombudsman!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 22:37   #4424
BHPian

Hello guys, need your advice.
I forgot to renew my car insurance last month and need to get it done immediately.

Till date I've been asking the car dealership team to renew it. They usually renew it from public insurance companies like Nia, oic, nic, etc with whom they have cashless tie up.

Just wanted to know:

1. What is the process of renewing after a break in continuity of insurance?
2. Are there any good companies out there which offer good service? Recently I've heard of acko. Any feedbacks on this or similar company?
3. I have completed 3 years of insurance and have claimed ncb Everytime. Will it still be valid?
4. Does it make sense to continue with B2B/zero dep policy add-on after 3 years? Or should I go with comprehensive insurance only?
Old 21st December 2018, 09:47   #4425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Any update on how this progressed over the last few weeks? Did your friend get any resolution?

Most Viewed