Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Loans & Insurance
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2009, 11:47   #61
BHPian

Having been through the same *discussion* with the dealer, I can well relate to the disgruntled look.
Old 6th November 2009, 11:55   #62
BANNED

Is there a way we can legally threaten these guys when they say policy is no-insurance-outside?

For my dad's car, the dealer made some noises - ANHC. My dad cooly said give it to me in writing and see what else i get rid of from your price list. No more questions asked. He got the car at ex-showroom price. No insurance, no registration charge, no road tax or insurance - he did this on his own. Of course this was in Goa.
Old 6th November 2009, 11:58   #63
BHPian

I guess there is a nexus between the Insurance and Dealer. I am seeing this as a growing trend and the dealer's sales guy would tell their customers is that they will have a better settlement in case of claims. This is a hand-in-glove kind of deal with Insurance company, Insurance Surveyor and the Dealer.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:29   #64
Senior - BHPian

Nothing like this.....

They can not bifurcate between their insurance and other insurance client in case of repairs or any other after sale services. If they do anything like that we can complain to the car manufacture the same.
Old 6th November 2009, 12:37   #65
BHPian

You may try to take it in writing from the dealer (of course, the dealer would be reluctant). At the same time, send out an email / contact the helpline, if provided, of the manufacturer - lot of manufacturers would not like a bad relationship with customer to develop due to their dealers.
Old 18th October 2013, 11:37   #66
P76
BHPian

Re: Dealer not giving option to take Insurance outside

This happened to me yesterday, when I went to book a Nissan Terrano from Avenue Nissan in Chennai. It was the Ambattur Estate showroom, and I wanted to book the XV Diesel 110ps Nissan Terrano. I filled out the cheque for Rs25000 towards booking and handed over. I sought a clarification from the Dealer about the Insurance for the car for which they had quoted about Rs.36500. I expressed my preference to take the Insurance myself, for which the Sales executive refused. He said Nissan insisted that the dealer should provide for the first insurance, and that I could do from the second year onwards.

I wanted the salesman to have a word with his seniors, after which he said some thing more bizarre - that it was possible for customers of lower cost vehicles such as Micra to go for insurance themselves, and not for Terrano being a "high-cost" car. He repeated the same nonsense that it was Nissan's policy!. I expressed my dissatisfaction, and said I wouldn't be happy to go ahead with the booking in that case. The salesman happily returned my cheque, showing no remorse.

I had to walk out of the showroom without booking the Terrano, the car which I have been yearning to own. I would visit Jubilant Nissan, the other dealer in Chennai to book the car. Do not know their take on the Insurance.

The dealers earn anything between 25-40% from the Insurance premium we pay. That's the discount offered by the Insurance companies. There is also a nexus between the Insurance companies and the dealers, just as the finance companies. Why cant the manufacturers stop this and direct the dealers to be contended with their margin, and focus on providing a better experience to its customers?
Old 18th October 2013, 15:37   #67
Senior - BHPian

OT: Are we allowed to take "3rd Party Insurance without comprehensive cover" for a new vehicle? Forget about whether this is wise or not, will the dealer allow this?
Old 18th October 2013, 17:44   #68
Team-BHP Support

They have no right to restrict you on this. You should ask them to give you this in writing. If they do, threaten them with going to the competition commission of India.

An alternative is to pay the down payment for the car. When it arrives, pay for the car and not the registration and road tax and demand invoice bearing the VIN number and engine number, get the cover note, give it them along with the remaining payments, I do not think they can do too much!
Old 18th October 2013, 20:24   #69
P76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
OT: Are we allowed to take "3rd Party Insurance without comprehensive cover" for a new vehicle? Forget about whether this is wise or not, will the dealer allow this?
Just write to the manufacturer, the dealer has no right whatsoever, all he can say is he can deliver a vehicle only after it is Insured and Registered, and not by whom it was done. They are given a healthy margin for each car, and earn a lot from spares, and service. Why do they want a share in Insurance also?
Old 18th October 2013, 23:45   #70
Senior - BHPian

It is the buyer's money, his vehicle, his choice. A dealer is merely a via media between the manufacturer and the buyer and cannot dictate terms. You can go right ahead and do whatsoever you want yo regarding insurance cover as well as any other matter related to your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
will the dealer allow this?
Old 19th October 2013, 00:25   #71
BHPian

It's an interesting thread. I recently bought a Hyundai Vera sx for my company and the nil dep insurance was exorbitant as quoted by the dealer. He flatly refused outside insurance which spurred me to pursue the matter at the higher level. Ultimately a reasonable discount was given on the nil dep add on. But can any learned member confirm as to what the law says on this. I'm sure there must be a statute on motor vehicle insurance somewhere as to whether the customer can opt for their own insurance while purchasing a new car. I mean this will benefit fellow members like me in the future for sure.
Old 19th October 2013, 21:56   #72
P76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post
. I'm sure there must be a statute on motor vehicle insurance somewhere as to whether the customer can opt for their own insurance while purchasing a new car. I mean this will benefit fellow members like me in the future for sure.
There is no rule or statute on who is to get the Insurance done for any car- be it new or old. The dealer presses for Insurance only because of the percentage they get from each policy, and for the convenience of working in case of a claim - again a win-win situation, as it is the dealer who gets income out of service and spares in case of accident claim.

As far as I know, the MV act mandates an Insurance policy only, no matter if it is Comprehensive or Third-party liability policy. (If the car is financed, the Finance company may demand a comprehensive policy)
P76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 23:59   #73
BHPian

I bought Honda Brio from Brigade Honda, Bangalore. During discussion, I told the Sales team lead Mr. Harry that external B2B Insurance quote is almost Rs.7000 less than Honda Assurance. But he convinced me that Honda Assurance is better and I decided to go with it and I paid the full amount. But when I received the Insurance papers, it was from Oriental Insurance with the premium I told him earlier (which is Rs.7000 less than Honda Assurance), but I paid him Rs.7000 more for the Honda Assurance. When I asked him to pass the Rs.7000 benefit to me, his reply was that is his margin

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks