Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:17   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mazda All Set to Enter India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
My thoughts: Couple of areas in the Indian car market which are not fully exploited are:

* 10 lakh MPV / SUV space (currently only the Innova / Scorpio operate here). Mazda can clearly make a mark here. The sliding door MPV style is unique to the Indian scene.

* The "sports-car" segment. I know we are not a market which is mature enough for this. But no harm in being the first mover. The entire price bracket of < 50 lakh is up for the grabs. The RX8 can be used as the flag-ship and the Miata the volume driver.
Just the way Toyota projected themselves as premium SUV player (Land Cruisers + Prado) before the launch of the the Fortuner. It worked well for them.

* The 12-15 lakh C+ sedan segment. The Civic is due for replacement, the Cruze still does small numbers. A quality, well styled sedan should take on the Corolla well.

Pertinent to note that these are segments which Ford is not present in India as well. So, cannibalisation too should not be a concern.
Unless Ford has plans in this segment too, Mazda-Ford in this segment is most likely. Ford will gain without Mazda cannibalising existing Ford models.

The problem is (only if it is Mazda-Ford) that this route will shut the mass segment for Mazda for good.
Old 2nd May 2011, 13:27   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Unless Ford has plans in this segment too, Mazda-Ford in this segment is most likely. Ford will gain without Mazda cannibalising existing Ford models.

The problem is (only if it is Mazda-Ford) that this route will shut the mass segment for Mazda for good.
I guess Ford would've already begun works on a mini MPV based on the Fiesta platform as part of the 8 new car launch before 2015. A nice sporty MPV in the pipeline then!
Old 2nd May 2011, 19:32   #78
Team-BHP Support

I have a feeling that Mazda will enter independently in the Indian market,
unless they have some constraints due to the recent issues in Japan. Mazda 3 can be a volume model for them (a very capable competition to the likes of Corrola and Civic), with MX-5 / RX-8 as niche offering.
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:57   #79
BHPian

From what i have observed in the Middle East, Mazda feels heavier than most Japanese cars (doors closing with a thud etc) & provide better equipment levels. Tyres are always wide enough & i felt paint quality is better with catchy shades offered. Maybe tech sharing with Ford is the reason.

They have a fulltime AWD model called CX-9 which can compete in the Captiva/Fortuner price range. Smaller CX-7 is also good looking.

They had a minivan simply called "MPV", which i think is bigger than Innova.
Attached Thumbnails
Mazda All Set to Enter India-cx9.jpg  

Mazda All Set to Enter India-cx7.jpg  

Mazda All Set to Enter India-mpv.jpg  

Old 4th May 2011, 14:03   #80
BHPian

I feel Mazda will tie with Ford if they come to India - it is way to expensive & risky to do it alone. If they go the Ford route (since they share engines/platforms already), there is some hope for immediate localization - a key to compete in the lower end hatchback segment. Bringing in Kits and assembling it here will only work for the C+ segment and I don't feel Mazda has the brand premium to compete with the Europeans. I would say, Mazda go lower end, tie with Ford for production/service and establish your brand in India.

OT: I wish Subaru would come to India...that would be real good news!
Old 15th June 2011, 20:38   #81
BHPian

Picture this:

You walk in to a Mazda showroom in your City, test drive a MX-5, and purchase it for ~20L with finance options available !!

Dreamland for us petrolheads!
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 20:58   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Picture this:

You walk in to a Mazda showroom in your City, test drive a MX-5, and purchase it for ~20L with finance options available !!

Dreamland for us petrolheads!
that's not dreamland ,it's utopia in India,atleast for some years.
Even the affordable 370Z is grossly priced at more than 3 times it's actual cost.
Let alone MX-5.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:13   #83
Team-BHP Support

The face lifted Mazda 2. This looks like an ideal candidate for India – whenever they decide on the entry. (pic. courtsey: www.oneshift.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Mazda All Set to Enter India-resized20110616155352596.jpg  

Old 18th June 2011, 13:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The face lifted Mazda 2. This looks like an ideal candidate for India – whenever they decide on the entry. (pic. courtsey: www.oneshift.com)
Thanks for the image, but, IMO this car's engine (the latest one) runs on 97 octane fuel, which is not easily available in India, despite the fact that this is one of the most fuel efficient engines available on planet. I guess they would be launching this car with the old engine.
Old 18th June 2011, 17:11   #85
Senior - BHPian

Mazda's in executive category are like what BMW's are in the luxury category only with even better reliability.
Old 22nd July 2011, 10:02   #86
BHPian

Mazda coming to India?

This, according to Zigwheels:

Mazda to arrive on Indian shores soon.| Zigwheels.com

Mazda has a good line up of driver's cars. If and when they do come here, I guess they will get the 2, 3 sedan, 6 and the CX-7 crossover.

Should be interesting. Anyone have more information on this?
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:24   #87
BANNED

I hope they still have a few Wankels in their range, and bring them here.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:34   #88
Team-BHP Support

Mazda's entry into the Indian market will ensure that the competition heats up and the customer has more of a choice and more of a dilemma to deal with. The number of hatchbacks sold in our market is large and it will only swell with Mazda's entry.

A slew of sedans will up the ante as well.

And with Peugeot looking to make a re-entry, all I can say is that there are good times to come for the Indian car buying public.

What I'm really interested in, is the RX8 and the Miata. If Mazda decide to launch these cars at attractive prices, sports cars will no longer be dedicated to the affluent. A Miata at 20 to 30 lakhs will open up a whole new segment, I reckon.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:37   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I hope they still have a few Wankels in their range, and bring them here.

Wikipedia entry on Wankels says that RX-7 and RX-8 have an improved version of the engine.

I'm not sure our authorities will be able to figure out how to count the CC on the engine though - most govt.s in the world count it between 1.5x to 2x of the actual displacement.

I would love for someone to buy one of these and go past me with the motor booming - want to hear the sound at least once.
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:28   #90
BANNED

Quote:
I'm not sure our authorities will be able to figure out how to count the CC on the engine though - most govt.s in the world count it between 1.5x to 2x of the actual displacement.
I was about to comment on this but then refrained. I guess they will like to rate it as 3x!

Quote:
I would love for someone to buy one of these and go past me with the motor booming - want to hear the sound at least once.
I am afraid you will be disappointed. You are more likely to get a whine than a roar. Maybe at best a gentle snarl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks