Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 10:51   #76
BHPian

Re: Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years aw

Honda has revealed a downsized turbocharged version of the old 2.2 unit as a 1.6 litre common rail i-DTEC engine at the Tokyo Motor Show. Honda has used lots of aluminium in the engine and the new engine is bound to be very light. The four pot motor develops 120PS of power at 4000 rpm and 299Nm of torque at 2000 rpm. The engine is said to be fairly rev happy for a diesel like Mazda’s SKYACTIV 2.2 litre diesel engine and is also said to have good low end grunt.

Here's the source: Honda's new diesel engine unveiled| Zigwheels.com
benzinblut is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:21   #77
BHPian

Re: Honda plans diesel City to beat heat from competition EDIT: It's still 2+Years aw

read this news in TOI last week as well. Can we assume 2012 end will see launch of City Diesel
Old 7th February 2012, 16:32   #78
BHPian

Just read this:
Honda confirms 1.6-litre diesel engine | Latest Autos & Car News | OnCars.in

Article from the site:
Honda has confirmed the unveiling of its much-awaited small capacity diesel engine at the upcoming 2012 Geneva Motor Show next month. The new 1.6-litre turbo-diesel engine will first be featured in the new Euro-spec Honda Civic and will find its way under the hood of the new Indian Civic by the year-end. The 1.6 is the first of the new generation engines to appear in the next few years under Honda's 'Earth Dreams' technology banner.

The new 1,596cc diesel engine will produce 120PS of max power at 4,000rpm and 300Nm of max torque at 2,000rpm. Perhaps the biggest advantage comes in the engine’s light weight, with Honda claiming that it will be the lightest engine in its class, weighing less than a 1.6-litre petrol engine. The company is yet to reveal the average fuel consumption figures, however the automaker suggests that the CO2 emissions will be below 100g/km.

Just last week, we reported about Honda's intention of introducing the diesel variant of the Brio by October/November 2012 in the Indian market, followed with diesel variants of the City sedan and Jazz hatchback. In all likelihood, for the global market the second engine in the company's "Earth's Dreams" technology banner could be the 1.2-litre diesel unit that will power the two small cars, Brio and Jazz in the India by end of 2012.

Having said that, Honda is more likely to bring the 1.2-litre diesel engine to India to compete in the hotly-contested small car segment before they decide to introduce the 1.6-litre powerplant in the country.
Old 9th March 2012, 02:19   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

120hp, 300nm, 95gm CO2/km look very promising for Honda's new 1.6 Diesel showcased at Geneva motor show. The engine with this state of tune will debut under the hood of new European Civic later this year , plans for India are still unknown.

Being above 1500cc means this engine even in lower state of tune for Jazz and Brio will not be eligible for our small car Excise concession. Knowing Honda i do not expect a modified downsized version for our country anytime soon.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 16:04   #80
BHPian

Going by what the 1.6 is offering, i expect the 1.2 to be pretty good as well. Honda has always had delightful engines and this i believe will be no different.
Old 9th March 2012, 16:21   #81
Senior - BHPian

A good business idea for Honda would be to offer existing petrol mill owners in India with a recall and diesel mill refit at owners' cost!

Any concrete details on the timelines for rollout?
Old 9th March 2012, 16:36   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
A good business idea for Honda would be to offer existing petrol mill owners in India with a recall and diesel mill refit at owners' cost!
Ain't petrol to diesel or vice versa conversions illegal as per our laws?

Anyone?

Last edited by Klub Class : 9th March 2012 at 16:40.
Old 9th March 2012, 17:43   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

Anyone?
When there is an engine swap, be it same model or a different one, you need to get it endorsed by the RTO. Am not sure what are the other limitations though. As long as it's NOT endorsed, it's considered illegal!
Old 9th March 2012, 17:53   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

Anyone?
I guess it's not illegal but you have to take approval from RTO and make necessary changes. Though I have not seen a practical example but this what I have heard from a friend.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:46   #85
BHPian

Honda Motors to develop Diesel Engines for Indian market

After all the decrease in the sales numbers and finally understanding the Indian market requirement, Honda Motors is in plans to develop a diesel engine for the Indian market. Honda R&D is working on a prototype for the diesel engine ranging between 1.4 and 1.5 liters for the compact cars. This engine will be cast in its Jazz and Brio models. Though it is not expected in 2012, the company is planning to open in the next year.

Source: Economic Times

Mod Note: Threads merged. Please search the forums before starting a new thread on a topic already being extensively discussed.

Last edited by noopster : 19th March 2012 at 11:13.
bharath.kan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 10:54   #86
BHPian

Came to know from a close contact at Honda that already a Honda City has been fitted with diesel engine meant for Indian market and that it was shifted to Japan wide Fedex. Presumably it was sent to Japan for testing. The container was held up at Fedex due to tax related issues. This happened some 4-5 months back.
KL01BE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 23:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
Came to know from a close contact at Honda that already a Honda City has been fitted with diesel engine meant for Indian market and that it was shifted to Japan wide Fedex. Presumably it was sent to Japan for testing. The container was held up at Fedex due to tax related issues. This happened some 4-5 months back.
but what purpose would it solve to test something in Japan to be introduced in Indian conditions?

I think Honda are about 3 years behind schedule with their diesel engines in India. Imagine what a diesel Jazz would have offered to customers stuck with only I20 as the SOLE premium hatch. It would be interesting to watch the trends shift if and when this launch were to happen.
Old 26th September 2012, 23:46   #88
BHPian

If Honda is getting a diesel in the market it will sure reap in the profits. But, provided they think out of the box and get a exceptional good Diesel engine which should smash the completion on its launch.The main management at Honda have been sleeping over it and are seriously loosing out on the sales.
If they are launching a diesel after two years for the city it better be good considering they have launched so late.
Either they are sleeping over it or they are working on the next best Diesel engine of the world.
If their petrol engines are good there Diesel engines must be outstanding depending on the configurations. I'm sure everyone would jump at a diesel jazz,civic,city,brio,crv,accord. Considering the wide range of cars they have here they should jump to the top of the food chain.
But then having a good engine and having a bad pricing strategy spells FAILURE.
Old 7th May 2013, 13:13   #89

I have booked a Honda City MT AVN model and expecting delivery in June. Meanwhile, I need opinion from fellow BHPians on whether it is advisable to wait some more time just in case Honda comes out with a Diesel version. I would also like to know whether the current model of City which was probably launched in 2008 is likely to continue for some more time or I am in for an outdated car as soon as I buy it. Thanks.
Old 7th May 2013, 14:29   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshblue View Post
I have booked a Honda City MT AVN model and expecting delivery in June. Meanwhile, I need opinion from fellow BHPians on whether it is advisable to wait some more time just in case Honda comes out with a Diesel version. I would also like to know whether the current model of City which was probably launched in 2008 is likely to continue for some more time or I am in for an outdated car as soon as I buy it. Thanks.
The general consensus in the market is that a new Model is going to be out pretty soon. I don't know, though, if it'll be out this year or the next.

As for the diesel, they will come out with it but no one knows when.
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks