Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2014, 05:00   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I have booked BMW 320d sportline today and expecting the delivery of the car around next week. I am a little bit confused about taking the service package. My running is around 16 K km per year and planning to keep the car for more than 5 years. Secure plus package costs Rs. 3.06 lakhs for 5 year/ 80,000 km. Shall I take this service package?

It's a personal call at the end of the day. @ 1500 km per month, I would recommend you go for the secure plus package.

For me it was a simple calculation
5 services @ 15k avg. = 75k
Set of Break pads to be changed once in 5 years with moderately enthusiastic driving - approx 1 lac

Set of break discs - another 1 lac.

Add to this changing wiper blades at least twice in 5 years

Assuming absolutely nothing else goes wrong in your car (rare for a diesel BMW) - you still come out on top.

The best way to decide would be to take delivery and drive for a few months before u take the call. BMW let's you buy the secure plans any time before first service.
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 13:06   #62
BHPian

Re: BMW Maintenance Packages - Buying New BMW Cheaper Than Buying Used?

When calculating the cost of ownership, the depreciation claimed in IT returns have also to be taken into account.

I'm sure a new car bought in the company name will bring in good tax savings compared to an old one. So the actual cost may less than quoted here for new cars.
Old 31st August 2015, 17:51   #63
BHPian

Resurrecting this old thread.

How much would be the approximate maintenance cost for a X3, 320d, and X1 in that order per year with running of approximate 5000 km /year running.

And can BSI be somehow made available on pre-owned cars (if the car itself is purchased from the current owner and not the dealer)?

Last edited by johy : 31st August 2015 at 17:54.
Old 31st August 2015, 19:28   #64
Team-BHP Support

With so low running you are basically looking at Yearly mandatory changes - normally Oil Change plus some filters , there is a BSI list available on a different thread that should give you an idea on costs that BMW has factored based on their experience . Since your usage will be low you can factor a reduction of 25-40 % of that prices .

Yes you can buy BSI pack even if you are buying from current owner only condition is that car should be in warranty . In case its out of warranty only way can be to ask dealer to first buy from owner and then sell to you if everything is good - they might do this for a reasonable sum . Also note that you will have to pay for complete package irrespective of past services done and paid so in case you are buying 1 year old 25000 Km done car BMW will not give any benefit on the services done already
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 19:52   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
With so low running you are basically looking at Yearly mandatory changes - normally Oil Change plus some filters , there is a BSI list available on a different thread that should give you an idea on costs that BMW has factored based on their experience . Since your usage will be low you can factor a reduction of 25-40 % of that prices .
Thanks for the information. What would be the problems one should expect in a 60k done x3. Are they prone to turbo, ac, or suspension problems? Or anything specific one should be looking for?
Old 31st August 2015, 20:00   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What would be the problems one should expect in a 60k done x3. Are they prone to turbo, ac, or suspension problems?
Please share more details like Model Year & variant . Your best bet will be to take this to nearest BMW workshop - pay them some money and get everything checked .
Old 31st August 2015, 20:24   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Please share more details like Model Year & variant . Your best bet will be to take this to nearest BMW workshop - pay them some money and get everything checked .
Thanks once again. The model is a 2009 X3 Xdrive20d Xline. Done 60K. Of course, I intend to get it checked it by the local BMW workshop, but having read on this very forum how one might be easily duped by the seller/broker-BMW workshop nexus (I am assuming such do exist, hopefully not everywhere though), I just want to know what exactly I should be looking at.

Although I am more inclined to the 320d, the hilly roads where I sometimes venture to in North Bengal are not going to be very kind to a low ground clearance car like the 320d, and therefore I am looking to stretch my budget.

The way the prices have depreciated in the last few years is making getting a Beemer or a Mercedes a very attractive proposal these days. This is essentially an upgrade from my T-Jet so I set out looking out for a fun-to-drive car (is the X3 fun to drive vis-a-vis the 320d?)

The other options are an X1 (somehow I don't seem to be drawn towards them) or a 320d.

But once again, I need to factor in maintenance charges. I was unable to locate the thread on the costs..could you please point me to it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by johy : 31st August 2015 at 20:26.
Old 31st August 2015, 20:31   #68
Team-BHP Support

well I am not aware of any such nexus at least in this part . 2009 vehicle won't qualify for extended warranty and I am not sure if BMW dealer will pick this on your behalf either . You need to be very sure on mileage 2009 - and done 60 K looks low unless owner has many other cars. Do ask for complete service history and get it verified from workshop , check if there is large difference in last visit to workshop and present day vs KM on ODO and last service records .

But why do you need a BMW at first place - just because you are getting something within your budget and it carries a sort of image ? will not suggest you to venture into this unless you can foot large value bills which might come without any warning . Though this will surely be dependent on condition of Car , if possible save little more and probably buy something which is in warranty

here's thread on BSI packs

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...0-000-kms.html

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st August 2015 at 20:40.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2017, 05:48   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
We have Merc, Audi and BMW within our family.

Here's the consensus on the aftersales and maintainence. For comparison purposes, lets assume BMW doesn't have a BSI and all 3 service vehicles regularly.

Mercedes : The costliest to maintain. The parts are costlier than competition. After sales is good. While we were told services will cost between 18-20k, all service bills have crossed 35k. A close friend who owned an E280 deisel (2006) spent 12 lacs last year on maintainence. Finally sold It.

Audi : Easy to maintain except one incident. While driving to delhi in the Q7, some transmission belt broke @ 40000km. We were stuck in delhi for 2 extra days while Audi repaired it. The after sales at Audi is really poor. Have had many incidents where they just don't care about customers priorities. Call it Arrogance if you will.

BMW : Lowest maintainence cost of all 3. Services and wear n tear seem to be lower than competition. The after sales is supposed to be the best of the 3 but I'm yet to experience it.
Hi Bluebeem was just wanting to revisit this view of yours and confirm if after more years of use does this still hold true?

Last edited by Jamsukh : 31st October 2017 at 05:51.
Old 31st October 2017, 09:14   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamsukh View Post
Hi Bluebeem was just wanting to revisit this view of yours and confirm if after more years of use does this still hold true?

Hi Jamsukh

Yes, this still holds true. My car has done 60,000 km in 4.5 years with no major repairs or services. I use my car as a daily driver through some pretty bad industrial roads.

I had paid 2.76 lacs for BSI ultimate for 5 years 60k KM. Haven't paid a single rupee over that. Just extended it to 1lac Km for another 1.5 lacs. It's pretty trouble free.

Mercedes still seems the most difficult to maintain. A friend's Mercedes GLE 250d Just went for first service. The bill was 55,000/-

I've stopped keeping track of Audi now, since none of my family or friends own an Audi.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd November 2017 at 08:04. Reason: Punctuation
Bluebeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2017, 23:37   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Hi Jamsukh

Yes this still holds true. My car has done 60000 km in 4.5 years with no major repairs or services. I use my car as a daily driver through some pretty bad industrial roads.

I'd paid 2.76 lacs for BSI ultimate for 5 years 60k KM. Haven't paid a single rupee over that. Just extended it to 1lac Km for another 1.5 lacs. It's pretty trouble free.

Mercedes still seems the most difficult to maintain. A Friends Mercedes GLE 250d Just went for first service. The bill was 55000/-

I've stopped keeping track of Audi now since none of my family or friends own an Audi.
Hi Bluebeem,

Many thanks for your insights. Wanted to know if any specific repairs were carried out under BSI? The reason am asking is to know whether it’s advisable to pick up a Preowned BMW outside of warranty.
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:50   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wanted to know if any specific repairs were carried out under BSI?
If you have extended warranty and repair package, apart from Insurance claims your liabilty is Zero. Everything is covered.

Quote:
The reason am asking is to know whether it’s advisable to pick up a Preowned BMW outside of warranty.
Unless its a very compelling case, like seller knows you or there is a way to be 100 % sure on the history and then again, see if BMW Dealership can buy the car and you buy from the dealer. They will charge extra to cover their overheads and some expenses but then you get an extended warranty of 12 /18 months if I recollect.

But there are enough under warranty cars available. You just need to be a little patient in your hunt. If you want a car this weekend or on a fixed date, things can become tricky. Express your interest with used car section at the local dealership and they can surely find something for you. With these cars, warranties definitely add value & peace.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2017, 12:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:

But there are enough under warranty cars available. You just need to be a little patient in your hunt. If you want a car this weekend or on a fixed date, things can become tricky. Express your interest with used car section at the local dealership and they can surely find something for you. With these cars, warranties definitely add value & peace.
Thank you Turbanator for your inputs. With a pre-owned route one cannot have impatience to purchase a car at short notice which can result in one getting shortchanged or stuck with a lemon.

My intent is to scan the market and as and when a good car comes up to consider taking that.
Old 14th November 2017, 15:26   #74
BHPian

Hi all, I bought a 320d last Jan, one year service is coming up soon. I have very low usage, done only 2400 km so far. I don't anticipate high usage for next 3 years may be few long trips a year. Does it make sense to take BSI?

BSI Service Plus Includes: All Scheduled Servicing Cost - Engine Oil Change, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Micro Filter, Spark Plug, Brake Fluid. Also includes cover for Wear & Tear Item replacements like - Brake Pads & Brake Discs in both Front & Rear, Worn Out Clutch Assembly, Wiper Blade Rubber.

Average cost of service is about 22K so for 3 years its about 66k , add some inflation say its 80K. 3 year / 40K BIS plus is like 1.22 L. wouldn't it be cheaper to just do service?

what about serious issues like electrical failure or sensor failures etc . is that all covered separately as insurance cover or should one get extended warranty also?
Old 14th November 2017, 15:43   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcustoms View Post
Hi all, I bought a 320d last Jan, one year service is coming up soon. I have very low usage, done only 2400 km so far. I don't anticipate high usage for next 3 years may be few long trips a year. Does it make sense to take BSI?
No need to get BSI, just extended warranty would do. Even for high mileage cars, I find BSI to be barely VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcustoms View Post
what about serious issues like electrical failure or sensor failures etc . is that all covered separately as insurance cover or should one get extended warranty also?
This is covered under warranty, insurance will only cover damages due to external forces and not part failure. Get insurance with hydrostatic lock cover.

Get extended warranty of 5 years at least, it is totally worth it.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks