Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 11:00   #1426
BHPian

Re: Honda slashes price on Jazz as well ? EDIT: Launch pics of new Jazz Pg.56

@shashank
makes sense. not in a hurry to get my car, anyways, let me have a word with the dealer and check if he is really reliable and decide. this plan also will exhaust my leave balance @ office..hmm
Old 16th September 2011, 12:04   #1427
BHPian

Hi All,

I booked a Jazz about a fortnight back and was very happy with my choice.

The petrol hike yesterday has forced me to reconsider this decision and i seek your inputs on the same.

I drive around 25 kms daily and that might increase to around 35 kms . on weekdays i am the only occupant of the car. I like the roominess of the jazz and wouldnt mind to pay more if there were a diesel variant of the same.

The difference in prices of petrol/diesel has got me thinking. I hear speculations about price of petrol reaching 100, while diesel might not grow as rapidly, i.e. the price difference will grow.

amongst the diesel hatchbacks, only Swift and Fiat Punto are worth considering. (wife has rejected Liva and Vista and i have rejected Figo), not sure if diesel polos are worth considering.

does any one know when Honda might launch the diesel version of their cars?

Regards,
Naveen
Old 16th September 2011, 12:22   #1428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by algos&autos View Post
Hi All,

I booked a Jazz about a fortnight back and was very happy with my choice.

The petrol hike yesterday has forced me to reconsider this decision and i seek your inputs on the same.

I drive around 25 kms daily and that might increase to around 35 kms . on weekdays i am the only occupant of the car. I like the roominess of the jazz and wouldnt mind to pay more if there were a diesel variant of the same.

The difference in prices of petrol/diesel has got me thinking. I hear speculations about price of petrol reaching 100, while diesel might not grow as rapidly, i.e. the price difference will grow.

amongst the diesel hatchbacks, only Swift and Fiat Punto are worth considering. (wife has rejected Liva and Vista and i have rejected Figo), not sure if diesel polos are worth considering.

Regards,
Naveen
I am in the same boat as yours. With the frequency of hikes, even with my limited use, i think diesel makes more sense, however no diesel car give the same 'feel good' factor as the jazz.

have posted my query on a seperate thread here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...nium-tdci.html

can you please post as to why you rejected the figo?

ps: we rather take the discussion there and not go on this thread.
Old 16th September 2011, 12:32   #1429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by algos&autos View Post
Hi All,

I drive around 25 kms daily and that might increase to around 35 kms .

Regards,
Naveen
The Honda diesel cars won't reach us before 2013 , based on what has been written on T-BHP.

Taking your monthly running to be 1050km ( 35 kmx 30days)
Assuming for Petrol (price is 80 and average of the car is 12kmpl) and Diesel ( price is 45 and car average is 16kmpl):

Monthly cost of car running : Petrol = (1050/12)*80 = Rs.7000
Diesel = (1050/16)*45 = Rs. 2953
Annual cost saved = Rs.4046*12 = 48,562/-

Based on the extra you are paying for the diesel car, you get an approximate break even period. e.g if a diesel costs 1 lakh more, break even is a shade over 2 years..

These are very basic approximations..pls factor in servicing costs etc..
Old 16th September 2011, 15:08   #1430
BHPian

Folks

This afternoon i closed all the pending payments with the dealer. Hopefully the papers must have gone for registration. I should be able to take delivery today evening.

Saw the vehicle in the stock yard behind the showroom.
Checked the odo it had about 11kms. the engine was also warm, i guess they must run it in idle.

was in a hurry couldnt do a detailed look on the body for any visible marks..hope the vehicle is in good condition.
i just started the vehicle and it did crank immediately.
i only saw 2 jazz in the stock yard. one inside the showroom with number plate fixed and ready for delivery.

NO FREEBIES or any discount on any accessories i checked with another friend who took delivery about 10 days back from Magnum honda, even he was not given any freebies.

thanks
Keyan
Old 16th September 2011, 15:51   #1431

I got call from my dealer Solitaire Andheri, i am been allocated a vehicle and in transist. White Tafeta X version.

Checked with them they dont have any vehicle for TD yet , hoping to get on this weekend. Its in registration phase at the moment. My sales rep was not sure about the TD vehicle color though.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:06   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshs2000 View Post
I got call from my dealer Solitaire Andheri, i am been allocated a vehicle and in transist. White Tafeta X version.

Checked with them they dont have any vehicle for TD yet , hoping to get on this weekend. Its in registration phase at the moment. My sales rep was not sure about the TD vehicle color though.
Congrats Nilesh! i too finalized the white select today. will get delivery by month end. Saw the white select in flesh and quiet liked the chrome bit. it definitely doesnt look overdone on the white.

sat in the x also, found the driver seat height adjust useful, but not worth spending 35k more. as it is, the view from the jazz's seat is excellent.

ALSO Test drove the new Jazz. Solitaire Borivali has the TD vehicle. Liked it as much as earlier. Quiet, free revving engine, oodles of space. beige makes it look airier on the inside.

the SA also told me that the gear ratios have been tweaked a little. Didnt find much difference as the last TD was 2 months back and a very short one.
Old 16th September 2011, 18:58   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
the SA also told me that the gear ratios have been tweaked a little. Didnt find much difference as the last TD was 2 months back and a very short one.
I was also told about the altered gear ratios, this would be done perhaps to improve the low end torque.
Old 17th September 2011, 00:07   #1434
Senior - BHPian

Guys need suggestions, this question cropped up in my mind only due to the petrol price hike.
I have booked a Jazz X and it will be the second car at home. It will do a max of 12k in a year, it's the very most it will ever do. Ideally, running for a year should be 8 to 10k. Its basically a city hatch so will be used for my commute daily(only me in car) and in the week-ends will have 4 or 5 occupants for nearby trips. May be once a year it will see the highways on a 300 or 400km trip. Basically a city hatch is what i want.

At about 60k more than the Jazz X is the Punto 90hp emotion pack, had a TD today and was mighty impressed with the driveability in city. I can live with the poor interiors and the after-sales (we have a Skoda Octavia so can't be worser than skoda i guess)

Maintenance of both may be around the same range considering 15k service interval for the Punto and 5k for the Jazz. I may break-even in the 3rd yr of ownership with my running and i intend to keep this car for 5 years atleast.

Does my case warrant a diesel ?

PS: Mods I know my post is terribly OT, but the decision may be done in 5 valuable posts by other members hence i don't see a need for a separate thread.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 17th September 2011 at 00:10.
Old 17th September 2011, 00:23   #1435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Guys need suggestions, this question cropped up in my mind only due to the petrol price hike.
I have booked a Jazz X and it will be the second car at home. It will do a max of 12k in a year, it's the very most it will ever do. Ideally, running for a year should be 8 to 10k. Its basically a city hatch so will be used for my commute daily(only me in car) and in the week-ends will have 4 or 5 occupants for nearby trips. May be once a year it will see the highways on a 300 or 400km trip. Basically a city hatch is what i want.

At about 60k more than the Jazz X is the Punto 90hp emotion pack, had a TD today and was mighty impressed with the driveability in city. I can live with the poor interiors and the after-sales (we have a Skoda Octavia so can't be worser than skoda i guess)

Maintenance of both may be around the same range considering 15k service interval for the Punto and 5k for the Jazz. I may break-even in the 3rd yr of ownership with my running and i intend to keep this car for 5 years atleast.

PS: Mods I know my post is terribly OT, but the decision may be done in 5 valuable posts by other members hence i don't see a need for a separate thread.
Lets do a quick check here.

Jazz Mileage - 13, Running Cost = 75/13=Rs 5.77
Punto Mileage - 14 Running Cost = 45/14=Rs 3.21

Cost difference = ~Rs 2.5/km

With 10k per year running its Rs 25000/yr. So you will end up paying ~1.25L over 5 years while if you take opportunity cost for 90k difference its around ~1.27L (9.75% FD interest and 30% IT cut).

So all in all, you are going to end up paying the same for both the cars over 5years. If you take resale value at about 50% after 5 years (Honda even though petrol will retain equal to a Diesel Fiat in India), you end up paying 45k extra over 5 years. Which is Rs750/month. If you can afford to buy a Jazz/Punto, probably you are not going to mind paying this amount extra every month (2 tickets in a multiplex a month ? ).

Cutting the long story short, buy whichever car you really like. In this case, diesel vs petrol doesnt make any substantial difference.

PS: The FE numbers are what i assume, you can change them if you get better numbers. Also i am assuming the gap between petrol/diesel doesnt change substantially.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 00:24   #1436
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I don't think your running justifies the need for a diesel car.

Anything more than 15k a year, and I'd be the first to jump and say "diesel it is!".

Also, the Jazz is known to give remarkable fuel-efficiency. You will get a regular 14-16 in the city, depending on driving conditions and the AC. On the highway, don't expect anything lesser than 18 km/liter. Our Jazz recorded 19.5 on the highway once and 21 km/liter on another occasion. We get 14 in the city very regularly, and it jumps even higher if the AC is switched off.

The Punto is a good car, and if you can live with the below-par after-sales-service, then you will be pretty happy with it. But unless you're doing 15k or more a year, I don't see why a diesel car is absolutely necessary.

Plus, Hondas hold their value far better than Fiats, in India. 5 years down the line, your Jazz may fetch you a 50k extra over the Punto, in all probability.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 17th September 2011 at 00:26.
Old 17th September 2011, 00:45   #1437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post

Cutting the long story short, buy whichever car you really like. In this case, diesel vs petrol doesnt make any substantial difference.

PS: The FE numbers are what i assume, you can change them if you get better numbers. Also i am assuming the gap between petrol/diesel doesnt change substantially.
The difference is about 60 k i think you calculated for 90k at 1.27l. For 60k at 9.75% and after a 30% tax-cut it should be about 85k. Plus, the other thing i'm worried about is the insane petrol pricing. I never thought 2 years down the line i'll be paying Rs.75 per litre for petrol when it was 57 in 2009(correct me if wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I don't think your running justifies the need for a diesel car.

Plus, Hondas hold their value far better than Fiats, in India. 5 years down the line, your Jazz may fetch you a 50k extra over the Punto, in all probability.
While i agree with you on diesel not being an absolute necessity in my case, i dont agree with the resale price. I know Honda's hold their value like no other brand in india and Fiat is the worst in that, but a 50k for a Jazz over a diesel Punto is a little exaggeration in my opinion. I feel the punto may fetch me a 50k more than Jazz.
Old 17th September 2011, 09:44   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
The difference is about 60 k i think you calculated for 90k at 1.27l. For 60k at 9.75% and after a 30% tax-cut it should be about 85k. Plus, the other thing i'm worried about is the insane petrol pricing. I never thought 2 years down the line i'll be paying Rs.75 per litre for petrol when it was 57 in 2009(correct me if wrong).
While i agree with you on diesel not being an absolute necessity in my case, i dont agree with the resale price. I know Honda's hold their value like no other brand in india and Fiat is the worst in that, but a 50k for a Jazz over a diesel Punto is a little exaggeration in my opinion. I feel the punto may fetch me a 50k more than Jazz.
The fuel price was around 50 in 2009. We have had a hike of Rs. 25 in 2 years time. I wont get into the debate of Jazz vs Punto but if i were to be in the market today then i would definitely take a long hard look at diesel cars even if my running is around only 800-1000 km a month. We cant make all our fuel calculations at 75 rupees a liter for no one knows how much it would cost an year or two down the lane.

Personally i prefer a petrol car any day over a diesel one. But the rising costs is not something i can ignore.
Old 17th September 2011, 10:02   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123
Cutting the long story short, buy whichever car you really like.
That probably summed it up for me. I had a similar query and infact was considering the FIgo which I was getting at the same price as the jazz select OTR.

I even run the risk of my usage increasing in case i switch jobs. However, I decided on the jazz because it makes me feel good. As a car where you are gonna spend a lot of time, you don't want to be disappointed just to be saving a little on fuel cost. Besides you have the Octavia to fall back on in case

No one know what the future beholds. Petrol has risen substantially coz at 45 it was 'subsidized' and when freed it couldn't straight go to 70 so spread out over 2 yrs. Now it's at par with international prices. So the hikes may not be that frequent. In 5 yrs time diesel also might be freed. Who knows!

Go with your heart. You will not regret it.
Old 17th September 2011, 12:38   #1440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah i misread. So that will make it about 1.5k per month extra ? Still worth it for Jazz IMHO considering it feels much better than a GP. But the end decision is yours

BTW look at Fiat diesel resale values compared to Honda ( i compared 3 year old City to a Linea Diesel) and you will find there is no difference. Indian market pays a lot of premium to H badge over the F badge.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks