Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 18:31   #451
BANNED

re: New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
HAD A TEST DRIVE!
How the car looks in real? Better / worse than in photos?
Old 16th October 2012, 18:48   #452
Senior - BHPian

re: New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
How the car looks in real? Better / worse than in photos?
The looks are subjective matter, but would be posting my view.

Looks are a bit hideous, just like Tom hiding out after putting a trap for Jerry. A bit scared baby trying to explore with caution, at the same time looking at parents for support.

Better in flesh than in pictures. Noticably better. From rear, an eye not so experience would be passing it off as an A-star. From a distance, somebody might think its a Wagon R.

The worst profile to take picture of this car is front three quarters. Rear three quarters is good. Basically, the profile does not suit the small body. Its like they have sunk the good old Ritz and A-star messed up to get this body.

Its not like, lets say, as old or as dated looking as UV-A ( a much larger hatch ) or not as impressive as dynamic Beat. Above average looking.

Feels fresh atleast.

Car is overpriced in CNG version. CNG LXI retails at Rs. 4.07 lakh OTR in Vadodara. I might buy a Waggie spending a few thousand more.

Would be uploading a few pics if my mobile phone and PC decide to help me out!

@mods: I could not edit the previous post, and hence adding a new one.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th October 2012, 22:08   #453
BHPian

How did you find the brakes when compared to old Alto?

Is the 15k extra for the Driver airbag option reasonable? This is now the cheapest car in India with an Airbag
Old 17th October 2012, 00:21   #454
BHPian

Surprised to see that the even LX model does not get power steering.
Old 17th October 2012, 02:13   #455
A M
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawald3 View Post
Surprised to see that the even LX model does not get power steering.
LX never had a power steering.

It was available only in LXI variant and this was the only difference between the two.
A M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 09:03   #456
BANNED

Saw today's newspaper ad; Maruti calls the new design as 'wavefront' design.

In the website, they say: "The new Alto 800's harmonious yet slick design packs quite a punch with the unique "Wavefront" design. The smooth long curves, the prominent wheel arch and wider lip adds to the side stance.
Unique "Wavefront" design and sloping window lines with a swaying roof.
Jewel-finish rear combination lamps and pleasant design on the back door."

Also read in news that at present, they make 15K Alto F8D and 8-9K AltoK10 per month.

I like this colour, and rear design is as attractive as the good old Zen, IMO. Wonder what stopped Maruti from giving it an attractive frontal design, just like that Zen with honeycomb grills!
Attached Thumbnails
New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched-marutialto800marutialto8002.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 17th October 2012 at 09:16.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:00   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
HAD A TEST DRIVE!

I am just back from the TD.

1) Interior NVH is a huge improvement over the earlier generations. Really felt a class higher as far as outside noise entering into cabin goes.

10) When I honk in Waggie, I feel horn in inside the cabin. In Alto, you feel its outside. Just like in Hyundai's and Polo's. I am really impressed with this single NVH factor.
Thanks for the first hand report. By your short & crisp review, i can say that this car is a winner for sure. At this price, you can't really expect more than this and with Maruti A.S.S., its simply outstanding package in my honest opinion. I am desperate to see the car in flesh now. I will try to go over this weekend for a test drive.

Looks like the best car for Female drivers. Maruti should have launched this with Automatic version as well. It should have been great fun for city use.
Old 17th October 2012, 11:09   #458
BANNED

Source: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ne...odel/1017687/1

"Shinzo Nakanishi, MD & CEO, hinted that a small diesel engine is also in the works and may be considered for similar models in the next few years."

A 1L Diesel engined Alto priced at 3.5L - 4.5L... What a super hit it would be!
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 14:00   #459
BANNED

Me 2 just had a TD..
1.True to all reviews, the car has a confused "upbringing"..It simply could not decide what to be after growing up..a Figo..an i20..i10...))However, all said and done, looks are subjective and given some time, people who dont like it might get used to it..My personal take is the Alto 800 is acceptable looking for its price and the EON is over sculpted...
2. The NVH levels are at part or slightly better than EON.
3. The interiors are fresh and first time / current Alto / M800 owners will love it.
4. The Car Handles beautifully and is adequately powered and had felt like having decent body rigidity. (For me, it was better than EON)
5. Without any doubt, Lxi is the spec to buy, the other variants are created only for price points.
6. The AC was always very effective for Alto and still is one key point in favour of the new Car.

Summarising, Alto 800 is a definite buy for first time buyers or upgraders from M800..
Rest, as far as comparison with EON goes, even the unrefurbished Alto sold 15-20ks a month and EON had 5k-7k per month..Based on currentevidence, it seems that this trend is not going to change in either direction...
Carophilic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 14:44   #460
BHPian

Surprised and not pleaseantly to notice that a thread more than 400 days old is the primary thread for one of the closely followed car launches. There are no official test drives and reviews. Team-bhp should have a good reason for this. Wondering what it might be!
Old 17th October 2012, 15:40   #461
MHG
BHPian

Is the existing Alto F8D discontinued or not ? Maruti listing has it still along with new Alto 800. If they are not discontinuing the older Alto, India would have the distinction of parallely selling 5 different Altos at the same time - the M800, Alto F8D, Alto 800, Alto k10 and the A-Star. India shall soon be the land of the moving Altos
Old 17th October 2012, 15:59   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Is the existing Alto F8D discontinued or not ?
Existing Alto F8D is indeed discontinued. You can check the website of existing alto here. It will redirect you to new Alto 800.

M800 will continue to sell in BS3 cities till new pollution norms get implemented.
Old 17th October 2012, 16:42   #463
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
Surprised and not pleaseantly to notice that a thread more than 400 days old is the primary thread for one of the closely followed car launches. There are no official test drives and reviews. Team-bhp should have a good reason for this. Wondering what it might be!
Another thing I noticed, TBHPians are more inclined towards cars that are performance / feature oriented, than basic ones. That's why this thread is a slow mover, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Is the existing Alto F8D discontinued or not ?
They have removed AltoF8D from their main site, and added Alto800 instead.
Attached Thumbnails
New Maruti Alto 800. EDIT : CLEAR scoop pictures on Page 18 & 20 - Now Launched-capture.jpg  

Last edited by benbsb29 : 18th October 2012 at 09:10. Reason: Sending you a PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:30   #464
BHPian

I personally feel they should have continued with the title '800' only.
Today you have three cars on sale with 800,alto k10 and alto 800. All three cars being quite similar and priced in same price range.
There is no point in continuing with super outdated 800 today,as nobody will buy it after the new alto 800.

800 and alto are two equally iconic brands then why mix up ?
Its like coming up with a 6 lakh rupees car and name it 'Swift Ritz'
Old 17th October 2012, 19:04   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I personally feel they should have continued with the title '800' only.
Today you have three cars on sale with 800,alto k10 and alto 800. All three cars being quite similar and priced in same price range.
There is no point in continuing with super outdated 800 today,as nobody will buy it after the new alto 800.
The only reason why it is being called Alto 800 is to differentiate it from the Alto K10. The reason why they may not want to call it 800 is probably because of a new 800 launch in the pipeline sometime soon.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks