Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:32   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW Jetta launched @ Rs.14.12 lakhs.

Quote:
As for what I am shopping for, its a toss up between a Yeti and a Jett(i), both in top spec.
Personally i didnt like the Yeti. its too cramped in the rear seats and looks just like a Fabia.

Unless i need the drivability of the Yeti and i end up doing lot of trips not in so good roads, i really dont think i will ever get a Yeti.

If i am looking at Yeti, i would be looking into the X1 or the Fortuner. Personally that would be my preference.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:31   #122
BHPian

My choice was also between the earlier Jetta and Yeti. Yeti's inside looks mis-leadingly small to look at. Spend about 10-15 minutes in the cock-pit of Yeti first and then immediately in the cockpit of Laura (in the same showroom) and you will be able to better appreciate the size of Yeti. I tried this experiement with 2 of my friends and both felt the driver seats in Yeti were far more comfortable and spacious. I do not think the rear seats any smaller either.

What you do not get is the large boot of a Laura or Jetta. So, I'm planning to fix a roof bag (from 3D) with a few simple DIY fixtures.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:38   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Well finally the SA called with the news of the arrival of the car. And 30 minutes after his call and an excited visit to the VW showroom I am not very sure of my feelings. Here goes:

On entering the showroom I first crossed the Jetta mistaking it for the Vento and went towards the Passat standing in a corner. On realizing the mistake kicked myself and retraced my steps to this beauty. On a proper glance the car looks so different from the Vento. Infact its so much more proportionate that after looking at it, the real Vento started appearing a little quirky ( no offence to fellow Vento owners). The front is extremely hot, cool and elegant at the same time. The slightly smoked headlamps enhance the look so much. The side profile looks good and the rear is just WOW! Leds or no Leds, this car looks amazing.
The GC is indeed 139mm and the SA went on with the same story that its taken with the suspension at the lowest level etc. Anyways the road right next to the showroom is going to be a perfect test for the GC once the TD car comes. Its easily the worst road in all of Delhi at the moment and if Jetta makes out of it unscathed then I dont have any reasons to be apprehensive.

Now the Interiors look typically VWish. The usual 'thud' and all is there. But then you notice the climate control. OMG! Only if I could kill. Seriously what goes through a car company's mind? You are asking me 16-20L rupees which is awefully lot. And even then I dont get automatic AC? Other then that no dual zone AC. What hurts even more is that features are very much present in the old car. What stopped them from putting the same in the new one?

The trendline doesn't have Auto folding ORVMs once again putting me at a loss of words. Is this feature so expensive? You give me 6 air bags but don't give me a basic feature like auto folding mirror is just not acceptable to me. The lack of a decent music system with Aux etc just adds to your agony. I just cant see myself buying a car for 16.3L and then someone saying oh the AC is manual!

Other then that the plastic quality is really 2-3 notches below the older Jetta. Its too rough and hard in the new car. Then there is this really ugly space they have provided below the rear AC vents. Its probably to keep your phone or something but they way its finished feels like it has come from atleast 2 segments below.

The space inside is very good and with the front seat fully pushed backwards you still are left with a lot of space all around.

All in all its left me confused. The car looks just awesome but the lack of an automatic AC even in the highline is something I am unable to digest. For the ORVMs and all I can get the highline MT. But in case VW decided to add an Auto AC later in a few months I will commit suicide. And my mind tells me they will have to do it or they won't be selling the car much. Any buyer will obviously see the other cars in the segment and when a 4-5L rs car comes with an Automatic AC, there is no way you can sell a car without it and also proudly call it to be a D segment offering!

Sorry for the long rant. I had to vent out my frustration. And guys help me now. I really had my eyes set on this car. Will even try and convince my dad for the Highline. But no Automatic Ac is something thats killing me. On the other hand there is no other car I can consider. The Skoda is not an option and don't ask me why. The cruze is too short on space and hence ruled out. The Altis comes with that tiny engine.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:52   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

mohit don't go throwing yourself off a bridge just because the Jetta lacks an auto climate control! Personally I feel they could have just plonked the climatronic from the Vento in there, which is excellent and fairly good for Indian conditions. On the plus side, though, a manual AC that's better than the crap they provide on the Skodas (Laura and Superb owners are constantly complaining that their ACs suck), then you should get used to it pretty quickly. Honestly speaking I feel the manual AC on my Swift is better in outright cooling performance in 40 degree summers, than my Vento's climatronic!

The GC issue is thorny: VW is dismissive, with the standard line about no issues being detected in 6 months of rough-road testing etc. Whether you want to believe them is another story, though!

Looks wise, the Jetta is miles ahead, especially at the back. Feature for feature perhaps the TL or CL Jetta make sense (definitely not the HL, at which price you can get the entry level Superb or Laura L&K). As an overall value proposition, the Vento beats the Jetta hollow.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:54   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Well finally the SA called with the news of the arrival of the car.
I was also looking eagerly for this car as a buy. I looked at the Verna, Vento, New fiesta. I didn't go the skoda way because of the horror stories. Now after seeing this car, I was deeply disappointed. Noe the old-gen Jetta looks so much value for money. For me the main features missing are, ACC, xenon head lamps, leather interiors, a decent music system, a better GC mainly. But now multiple people complaining about the plastics and quality, I am inclined to look away from it. Suddenly, Laura ambient looks more value for money and better equipped. If news what I read are to be believed, they are planning to degrade superb and Laura interiors in the next iterations, just to make it in line with VW .
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:16   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
mohit don't go throwing yourself off a bridge just because the Jetta lacks an auto climate control! Personally I feel they could have just plonked the climatronic from the Vento in there, which is excellent and fairly good for Indian conditions.
Quote:
Honestly speaking I feel the manual AC on my Swift is better in outright cooling performance in 40 degree summers, than my Vento's climatronic!
Well trust me the purchase of this car is just because of the want and desire to experience something better then what you have till now. And effective or not effective ACC looks more in sync with the car :(.
Quote:
The GC issue is thorny:
Forget what they are saying or not saying. This road next to VW in Delhi ( incidentally Sai mag wheels is also located here) sucks. I have to literally lift my Innova in my arms and cross the obstacle. The famed DTC buses ( low floor ones) hit there bottoms at 2-3 places. So if the Jetta performs reasonably on that stretch I will be assured.
Quote:
Looks wise, the Jetta is miles ahead, especially at the back. Feature for feature perhaps the TL or CL Jetta make sense (definitely not the HL, at which price you can get the entry level Superb or Laura L&K). As an overall value proposition, the Vento beats the Jetta hollow.
On suggesting the TL variant my sister snapped back at me that I should stop sabotaging her car purchase. She said she is upgrading from her lancer and not downgrading as the Lancer was one of the first few cars in India to have the Auto folding ORVMs. So it will either be the CL or HL ( both MT).

Well anyways here is the feature list ( few important ones) and OTR prices:
Additional features in CL:
1. Front fog lamps
2. Chrome finish on radiator grille.
3. chrome interior package.
4. Decorative wood inserts.
5. MFD plus.
6. Leatherette upholstery.
7. Light and sight package with rain sensor.
8. Park distance control(front and rear) with acoustic warning.
9. steering wheel with MFD control, audio controls.
10. Electrically adjustable, foldable, heated ORVMs.
11. RCD 300 plus music system with CD player, Aux and 8 speakers.
12. Rear arm rest.
13. Auto dimming interior mirror.

Additional on HL
1. Chrome on front air dam.
2. Chrome on side windows.
3. 16' Atlanta alloys.
4. park distance control display on central information system.
5. RCD 510 touch screen music system with 6 CD changer, SD card reader, aux, 8 speakers.
6. mobile device interface media-in with ipod/iphone adapter cable in glove compartment.
7. paddle shifts ( if AT).
8. 12 way electrically adjustable driver seat.
9. electrically adjustable lumbar support for driver.
10. Cruise control.
11. 8 airbags.

Price OTR:
TL: 16,15,522
CL: 17,73,498
HL: 19,48,460
HL AT: 20,39,055

Advice guys now! Busy with work now. Next log in will be in the night !
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:46   #127
Senior - BHPian

Highline is not at all VFM considering you can get L&K for slightly more with Xenon's, ACC, Leather, Seat Memory and extra goodies. I wonder who is gonna buy HL at 20L+ without ACC.

CL vs TL is an interesting choice -

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Additional features in CL:
1. Front fog lamps Can be fitted aftermarket ??
2. Chrome finish on radiator grille. Wow !
3. chrome interior package. Wow !
4. Decorative wood inserts. Aftermarket ?
5. MFD plus. Interesting !
6. Leatherette upholstery. Would anyway upgrade to leather no ?
7. Light and sight package with rain sensor. Rain sensing wiper + auto-headlamps ?? This is worth it
8. Park distance control(front and rear) with acoustic warning. Aftermarket
9. steering wheel with MFD control, audio controls. Worth it
10. Electrically adjustable, foldable, heated ORVMs. TL comes with adjustable but not foldable
11. RCD 300 plus music system with CD player, Aux and 8 speakers. Aftermarket touchscreen ?
12. Rear arm rest. Big miss if you are chauferred, dont think easy to fit aftermarket
13. Auto dimming interior mirror. Will be missed
CL vs TL is a good fight. Fogs, MFD Plus, Steering with controls, Rear arm rest , Auto IRVM for 1.5L + gives food for thought. If you have the cash, stump for CL, otherwise TL.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:47   #128
Senior - BHPian

VW must have one of the most economical design houses. Just build one design -Polo and let all products ape this design! And if you dont have enough of the Polo, then no problem , Audi will offer its older designs such as in the Jetta where the rear resembes an audi A4 without a doubt!
Old 22nd August 2011, 17:28   #129
BHPian

Talked to the Kottayam dealer and found that they are not even aware that the display car is available at Cochin,inspite of the fact that both operations are owned by the same Co. !!! . Anyways these guys say that the car would be available for delivery only in about 2 months time . A phone to the Bangalore dealer also gets the same reply.

Could this be true or is it the dealer's Vento Mentality -' the customer shall be made to wait at least 2 months' ?

The GC issue could be serious,if it is indeed 139mm. But could VW be that dumb ??
Old 22nd August 2011, 18:44   #130
Senior - BHPian

Here is my take on the Auto AC - The Auto AC works on multiple sensors if i am right. There is a sensor near the windshield that determines the temperature near the dash. There is a sensor facing the passengers in the centre console.

There is an external sensor in front of the car very prone to rat attacks which measure the outside temperature.

And there is a set of electronics that work in harmony with these sensors to set up the right temperature inside.

Apart from maintaining the temperature these sensors also determine other functions is what i feel. Reason when my temperature sensor failed(the one in the outside) i got a catalytic converter error warning. This happes usually when an oxygen sensor fails. The sensors also control fan speed but dont control smell inside the cabin from the dirty air outside.

Which means 95% of the time you are running the car in manual mode when you press the air circulation button. 5% you use the Automatic settings.

95% if you feel is over exaggerated, lets say 80%. Still you are running manual.

So basically what i am trying to say is the elimination of most of these sensors makes it easier in the long run to worry about climate control.

I dont know how many run their car in automatic without the smell of the surrounding reaching the cabin. In US or UK the scene is different. You dont really venture into a place which smells bad and all you worry about is the car cabin temperature.

If ACC is the only reason you are upset about the car, i feel its a little over rated for Indian conditions.

Did you know the Auto fold OVRM do not auto fold when you switch your ignition and walk off. You still have to switch it off in the front drivers door panel and step out.

And as deepakchan had an issue, if somebody at the parking lot closes the mirror forcefully your heart will hit 180 pulse when the AUTO OVRM tries to open it or close it for atleast two minutes. Just giving the other side of having these options

And lets hope the cost cutting does not take this route
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...omplaints.html

Last edited by VW2010 : 22nd August 2011 at 19:09.
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:07   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
So basically what i am trying to say is the elimination of most of these sensors makes it easier in the long run to worry about climate control.

If ACC is the only reason you are upset about the car, i feel its a little over rated for Indian conditions.
Well your post has a slightly calming effect on me .
But What you are saying is that if you use the circulation mode then the AC switches to manual? I didn't exactly follow you on that. Once I set the temp to a number the AC will oblige right? Please explain a little more.

Quote:
Did you know the Auto fold OVRM do not auto fold when you switch your ignition and walk off. You still have to switch it off in the front drivers door panel and step out.
well I know that and I am used to doing the same. Why I love the auto folding option is that in Delhi the traffic is horrible. I always drive with both ORVMs open. But many a times you find yourself in jam packed streets with bikes and scooters trying to squeeze ahead and breaking your ORVM in the process. In this scenarios I generally fold back the mirrors for those 5-10mins. With manual ORVMs I cant do the same.

And anyways in reality these are features you want in an expensive car. You might not use it but it feels nice and these basic things have come in 5L rs cars. Why cant a car costing 16L have it? It reminds me of the much talked about presence of an umbrella in the superb ( rem yeti's thread ). You are never going to use it but it feels good to be pampered.

Last edited by drmohitg : 22nd August 2011 at 22:09.
Old 22nd August 2011, 23:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But What you are saying is that if you use the circulation mode then the AC switches to manual?
Auto mode is completely auto including air circulation, temperature and where there air should flow. Like if the temperature at your feet is higher than the cabin, your legs WILL get more air and vice versa.

Now the ACC has option to even set auto fan speed. Here even the fan speed is taken care by the system. You can set it to 3 and still the fan will blow at only 2 if the system reads no major change in temperature.

The following action makes the ACC manual

1) Switching on specific areas of air flow
2) Switching on the recirculation mode
3) Using the fan slider. Adjusting the fan speed rather
4) Switching on the heater during rain or the demister

The moment you feel a smell inside the cabin you will have to go to manual set up.

50% of the smell if filtered with the pollen filter. So most of the petrol/diesel smokes are usually filtered out but on stand still traffic you get a lot of smell inside.

Quote:
Why cant a car costing 16L have it? It reminds me of the much talked about presence of an umbrella in the superb ( rem yeti's thread ). You are never going to use it but it feels good to be pampered.
I totally understand. But nothing can be done about because if you look at even the BMW X1 you will not be thoroughly impressed with the interiors. In fact the interiors arent BMW class for me.

Quote:
always drive with both ORVMs open. But many a times you find yourself in jam packed streets with bikes and scooters trying to squeeze ahead and breaking your ORVM in the process
I felt my Swift OVRM's were fantastic. Because it just folds on either side and even when some jack *** tries to squeeze the space the mirrors will just fold either side.

In Jetta the OVRM which is controlled by a motor is not flexible. Its just hard. Doesnt mean one cant move it. But the latter rattling noise when it tries to sync with the motor kills your heart in an instant.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 06:44   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Auto mode is completely auto including air circulation, temperature and where there air should flow. Like if the temperature at your feet is higher than the cabin, your legs WILL get more air and vice versa.
Hmm I got your point now. But my grudge was that those knobs look kind of old fashioned and a thing of the past. The ACC set up of your jetta looks fabulous and adds to the interior.

Quote:
I felt my Swift OVRM's were fantastic. Because it just folds on either side and even when some jack *** tries to squeeze the space the mirrors will just fold either side.
Yea thats a great feature but I doubt if VW thought of giving it. Do the ORVMs in Jetta also fold in the opposite direction too?

Quote:
In Jetta the OVRM which is controlled by a motor is not flexible. Its just hard. Doesnt mean one cant move it. But the latter rattling noise when it tries to sync with the motor kills your heart in an instant.
I know the sound you are telling about. I have it in the lancer. In the beginning it was a pain trying to educate my car washing guy not to open the mirrors while cleaning. Even today many a times someone ends up jacking them on.
Old 23rd August 2011, 07:30   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Good posts VW2010. Yes, the "auto" mode at least in Vento entails having the smells of the world waft in. In relatively-cleaner Pune it's still OK, but when I am in Mumbai that is not an option at all! Besides, staying on auto-mode 100% of the time puts too much of a load on the pollen/odour filter.

I stay in auto about 40% of the time. The only time I switch to manual is slow moving traffic when the putrid odours of diesel/kerosene/whatever those riksha guys use slowly start to poison me. On the open road, auto mode it is!

Still, not having ACC in the Jetta is a crying shame.
Old 23rd August 2011, 13:46   #135
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Following are the on-road Mumbai prices told to me by my friend:

Trendline - 16.3 lakhs
Comfortline - 17.9 lakhs
Highline - 19.6 lakhs
Highline DSG - 20.5 lakhs

Btw, how can the Jetta miss out on projector headlamps? If i'm not mistaken they are very much present on all variants of Laura except the Classic.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks