Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2015, 12:09   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Does Sumo Gold Make Sense for Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
My budget is a max. of 8L and none of the usual favorites in terms of SUVs fit in the price range.
Does the base variant Aria come at this price point? Maybe you can consider some used one istead. Will be much better than the Sumo.
Old 8th September 2015, 12:18   #437
BHPian

Personally I have driven old model Sumos and I would not recommend Sumo simply due to its in capability to handle higher double digit speeds gracefully and it being heavily prone to accidents. The so called "old world solidarity" if I understand you right, I find them with TATA and M&M vehicles. I own a Xylo and quite happy with the space and its sturdiness and presence on the road. When I bought the cheapest Xylo ex show room price was 6.9 Lakhs and OTR would have been slightly above 8 Lakhs. Now it has increased multifold and therefore it is out of question. I would have recommended the Quanto despite its hatred in team bhp forum but then you would already get a TUV 300 sooner and that perhaps could fit within your budget and your needs. Also the bolero is still an excellent choice but its interiors would make you look for other cars. TUV 300 may the natural next gen bolero and that would be a better choice. But since it is not out in the market, its build quality is yet to be seen.
On the other hand TATA Movus as suggested by fellow member would be a good option and I would have taken that if it was still sold as Sumo Grande Mk II. Movus is too plain and heavily downgraded for being sold as a taxi that it may not suit personal use. But yes, it is an option.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 12:37   #438
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Hi everyone, long time no see!

The truck has completed 8200 Kms in slightly over 4 months. Mileage is still piss poor at 10-12 kmpl but other than that I have faced no problems. engine is buttery smooth and is only appearing to get roused as I drive more.

Had a quick query. The owner manual states that the frequency of oil change should be every 15k Kms unless it is driven in adverse conditions, one of which is driving more than 50% of the time in traffic which is surely my case as well. I don't know if Pune traffic should be considered "adverse" as such but if it were, the recommended interval then changes to 7500 Kms.

Do you think I would benefit from changing the oil and filter at this stage or wait for it to be 15k Kms? An oil change plus filter would roughly cost around 3000 rs. at 330 per litre x 5.5 litres plus labour charges.

I have read that changing the oil will improve mileage as well as improve driving experience substantially.

Also, is wheel alignment and balancing required separately or can this be taken up at the scheduled service itself? Currently I can't really see much difference in steering performance at low or high speeds. There is an evident screech of the tyres every time I hit a speed breaker though.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Does the base variant Aria come at this price point? Maybe you can consider some used one istead. Will be much better than the Sumo.
Aria is so beautiful and plaint but he most basic variant of 2014 is selling at 9 lacs plus on road. Hope to buy a top end Aria as my next car someday . Meaning 2019 at least !

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2015 at 10:42. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 8th September 2015, 13:34   #439
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Steer, I had done the sound damping on my Sumo, and used about 6 large sheets of American Damping. These were the 1m x 1.3 m size - If I remember correctly. I had applied the sheet in pieces - not a complete lining, but very well covered. The pieces were applied to the inner surface of the outer metal sheet of the 4 doors & the metal section below the last windows. Had also pulled out all the seats, and applied it below the carpets. For the firewall area, I had got the dashboard dismantled, and applied the sheet to where ever I could reach.
Parvath
I got 48 sq ft of Dynamite Superlite dirt cheap, taking it home for the Sumo. Do you think this will suffice? If not, can always substitute with the locally available stuff to cover the balance.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:33   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post
Had a quick query. The owner manual states that the frequency of oil change should be every 15k Kms unless it is driven in adverse conditions, one of which is driving more than 50% of the time in traffic which is surely my case as well.
Since we do a mix of city & Highway, I dont think a change at 7500 km is required. There are many who go upto 15k before a cahnge. There are others who do it at 7500km. Sorry, cant answer your question precisely. Take your pick !

10-12 km is fine. We do pretty much that with our Safar/Storme's. The Sumo Gold weighs a little less than the Storme, hence this figure of 10-12 km is consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I got 48 sq ft of Dynamite Superlite dirt cheap, taking it home for the Sumo. Do you think this will suffice?
Steer, 48 sq ft should be enough. Since it is dynamat, you wont need to line the entire area with the sheets. If you still need some, then dampmat or locally available unbranded sheets (butyly rubber with aluminum sheet backing) are available.
Old 8th September 2015, 14:34   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Thats a strange requirement. Why SUV, you can still opt for a sedan unless the roads to your office require off roading capabilities.

Sumo does not make sense absolutely considering that the genes are still the same as in the earlier models, plagued by niggles (read rattles), retain the taxi image and at the fag end of their life cycle.

For your price limitation and need of a solid built vehicle are you open to other options?
+1. I'd look seriously at the Ford Figo Aspire /Hatch Diesel. Awesome engine. Driving 50 kms alone on roads demands a modern vehicle. Maybe its just me but a hatch makes much more sense than a SUV as a commuter vehicle. You can scratch the itch of driving a SUV by taking a Zoomcar rental once a while

For solidity I'd look at the punto/linea in your budget.
Old 8th September 2015, 15:20   #442
BHPian

I've been a huge fan of Nana Patekar for the better part of 20 years. Even at his most dramatic, he's still comic and ferocious.

He drove a red SUMO in Ab Tak Chappan while playing a fierce , ruthless and honest cop hell bent on achieving aNy purpose he set his mind out to. His methods might have been contestable but his passion for righteousness unnerving to those who held other views.

Ever since I was a kid and I spot sumos on the road, my eyes always catch the countless white cop cars in Maharashtra with their blue beacons. I love it when I cross a cop sumo driving past me in the opposite direction while I drive a sumo myself. You may choose to look at them as taxis , for some people the Sumo is an iconic and macho beast that I would have always admired regardless of being a proud owner myself. Sumos have been shown to be driven by corrupt criminals and goons kidnapping little babies while also having been the vehicle of choice for honest white collar workers. The image of a Sumo goes both ways as do most things in life.

I couldn't ever imagine the brand persona of a Nana Patekar shooting down criminals driving an Ertiga or standing up to corrupt ministers at the backdrop of a fiat punto. Again, that's just me. Obviously we have many advanced and more fuel efficient cars that exist at the same price range that offer many things. An iconic long standing standard of industralized India they might not be but they will protect your lives with abs and truth be told that's very important in itself.

I am not asking you to base your once in a lifetime product choice on the whims of a Bollywood movie . I merely intend to convey what driving a sumo to some people means. Once you have a view of how large the world appears from those giant windscreens and side windows, very few other cabins feel as inviting at the price point.

Couple of pics I snatched out from the net and no hard feelings to anyone driving any other car I may have mentioned, I am just a little possessive about the sumo brand.

BTW , Nana Patekar also used a white Sumo to kidnap his ex wife manis ha koirala in Agni Sakshi who refused to be identified as his wife as he played a masochistic , wife beating lunatic who ultimately died outside court in the arms of the very man whom his wife left to be with. I loved both nana patekars. I'd like to hear a story with any other car used in a movie in context of this discussion unless the moderators ban me first which is quite likely

Last edited by bblost : 8th September 2015 at 16:04. Reason: Removed an out of context image.
4Runner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 15:17   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

+1. I'd look seriously at the Ford Figo Aspire /Hatch Diesel. Awesome engine. Driving 50 kms alone on roads demands a modern vehicle. Maybe its just me but a hatch makes much more sense than a SUV as a commuter vehicle. You can scratch the itch of driving a SUV by taking a Zoomcar rental once a while

For solidity I'd look at the punto/linea in your budget.
I'm adding the TUV 300 as a very worthy candidate. Check it out.

It will appeal to the SUMO, BOLERO, admirer on so many levels. The wheelbase is as long as the new Scorpio. Spacious and fuel efficient too.

Last edited by drsingh : 11th September 2015 at 15:19.
Old 11th September 2015, 17:12   #444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm adding the TUV 300 as a very worthy candidate. Check it out.

It will appeal to the SUMO, BOLERO, admirer on so many levels. The wheelbase is as long as the new Scorpio. Spacious and fuel efficient too.
I love boxy old school SUVs starting from Defender, G-Wagon, Landcruiser 80 to our Sumo and Bolero and I own a Bolero as well. But somehow I did not like the looks of the TUV :-(
Old 11th September 2015, 19:15   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
I love boxy old school SUVs starting from Defender, G-Wagon, Landcruiser 80 to our Sumo and Bolero and I own a Bolero as well. But somehow I did not like the looks of the TUV :-(
Its not perfect.Go see it in the flesh.Mahindra worked with a set of limitations to bring out this product the way they did.

This is probably a new platform that will spawn the next generation of bolero variants too.

The limitations:

1.1.5 ltr diesel
2.under 4 metres length
3.Fuel efficiency
4.Acceptable to urban audiences

The good points:

1.The high torque at low rpm engine with controlled NVH.
2.Modern Chassis based on new generation Scorpio.
3.Long wheelbase.2680.Longer than Tata Sumo,Bolero,Xenon,As much as Scorpio.
4.Spacious Interiors
5.Good Interiors(By Budget SUV/MUV standards.
6.Better suspension for private owners.
7. Tough Build compared to comparatively priced Hatches.
8.Good ergonomics.
9.Ground clearance,Engine guard
10.Rear wheel Drive.
11.Safety options in every variant with merely 5% premium

For someone like me (Tall,Addicted to torquey sedate driving,occasionally mild offroading,CUrsing potholed roads for damaging my Linea's underbelly)
who has flirted with the Tata Sumo gold,Movus,Quanto,Xylo,Bolero for the ergonomics of sliding into the drivers seat instead of crawling into sedans,This comes across as a good practical choice.

An apt description would be the Wagon R of SUV/MUV,s.Not the prettiest ,but extremely practical for the targeted buyer.

We will get better looking Implementations of this platform with bigger dimensions and engines down the line ,I'm sure.

For someone looking for an alternative to Diesel Hatches or Even a cheaper alternative to the scorpio,It makes a lot of sense.
drsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 19:58   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasant.guru@gma View Post

Couple of pics I snatched out from the net and no hard feelings to anyone driving any other car I may have mentioned, I am just a little possessive about the sumo brand.

Please visit the Mahindra showroom for a detailed TUV300 test drive if you find the time.

It'd be great to have a point of view from a SUMO gold driver.

And provide some valuable customer feedback to Mr.Dhabhar
Old 11th September 2015, 20:21   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Please visit the Mahindra showroom for a detailed TUV300 test drive if you find the time.

It'd be great to have a point of view from a SUMO gold driver.

And provide some valuable customer feedback to Mr.Dhabhar
Sure Dr.Singh, Mahindra showroom is right next door. The best feature I find about the TUV 300 is the availability of ABS and airbags across segments as optional. Its great value for money but I wish they'd boosted the power to somewhere around at least the 100 BHP mark which I originally thought it had.

Apart from the ABS, 1500 cc of diesel engine producing 81 BHP at 3750 RPM for an alleged SUV is a slight downer for me but surely worth a test ride
4Runner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 13:31   #448
BHPian

Hey all, really wanted to multi quote or edit an existing post but didn't know which one to since this is about new seat covers I had done recently from Car Cupid in Pune.

I got basic matt black seats in fake leather since that was under budget. I got promised the sky but got like 60-70% of what was promised.

He also had to figure everything out from scratch since the sumo isn't really a template they could readily have unlike a swift or a Verna , Honda city etc.

I also got the steering and hand brake wrapped in the same material and a VW Polo horn for free. All inclusive for 12500. He'd agreed to do the side panels as well which are so yucky but somehow backed out saying its more work than originally imagined. I'll try and get the sides , the roof and probably the dash done sometime in the future from elsewhere.

The team bhp stickers also arrived and I excitedly stuck the priceless live to drive sticker slightly crookedly. All good considering am also a little crooked I guess

Cheers and look forward to your opinion
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_125815.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_130101.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_130023.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_130004.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_125858.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_125942.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_130948.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_130904.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_125828.jpg  

Tata Sumo Gold - Refreshed Sumo!-img_20150919_125841.jpg  

Last edited by 4Runner : 19th September 2015 at 13:36.
4Runner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 19:25   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Vasantguru -

Your tires are CEAT. As you have run them quite a bit, you will not get good exchange price. Now let them run for 20000 kms, then we will see. When do we meet? I am in Pune this week (hopefully for now)! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hello DB sir, I've been wanting to contact you myself. I had a chat with the Tass guys about the safari steel rims and 16 inch Bridgestone duellers. They mentioned people facing problems with the wider tyres fouling against the wheel arches while turning or when the front wheels hit a pothole. Is this a potential difficulty to consider? I will probably change my wheels around March of next year so wanted to figure out the costs and logistics for the same.

I also want to remove the side steppers and get some contrast going around the body which will happen soon. The high beam lamps are alright but I could do with slightly brighter lights too.

Thanks
Vasant
Old 22nd September 2015, 12:58   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubhavk1980 View Post
Keeping this in mind, does buying the top-end of Sumo Gold for nearly 8L make sense?
Yes. You aren't going to be worried about high speed stability for about 22 days a month. Go for it.

Add to it the perception that other people have about a Sumo - driven by maniac cabbies, can afford to get dinged, etc.? Go for it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks