Maintenance concerns 159 11.96%
Other reason (please specify in your post) 39 2.93%
Not applicable. My next car WILL be an Automatic 310 23.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1329. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2014, 13:57   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: So, why don't you buy an Automatic?

I learnt driving in a MT like most in our country. But I never had a chance to drive cars until I went abroad. Automatically AT took over and I realized how convenient they were.

It allows us to focus on road without having to worry about gears falling in place. Have done some cross country and 3.5K+ miles trips using cruise control and AT convenience extensively.

The thought that the left leg has to do something is weird to me now.

As for the left foot braking guys, I hope they never get into a panic situation. I know they use that technique in F1 but they are the best in business and have adapted to it.
Old 18th December 2014, 14:02   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
However, coming back to the definition of AT, I don't agree that the definition should be limited to the feature-set of the older boxes. When we discuss AT's we should do that w.r.t the current set of capabilities they offer. In that respect, I see the manual clutch as a legacy item, fit to be made redundant for most applications, as the AT boxes rightly do.
People are generally reluctant to change. They hold on to what they own and complain that modern technologies take away the thrills in life. I have seen numerous people hold on to their relics as much as they could before eventually give in to the inevitable. Irony is that they would quickly transform into advocates. Just a matter of time.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 14:26   #408
BHPian

I would definitely consider an AT now since the AMT boxes have entered the fray.Why I did not consider an AT earlier -
1. Fuel efficiency concerns.
2. Non availability of AT cars in the budger & segment I was looking for. Also the conventional AT cars I saw did not inspire confidence with regards to maintenance and FE.

There is also an associated macho image concern too. I recently suggested AMT to my dad and a friend of mine. Both rejected this, saying they preferred MT, mainly due to image concerns!!!
Old 18th December 2014, 14:32   #409
BHPian

ATs take the fun out of driving.....
also, I feel the MT gives me more control over how the car is going to behave on road...and I like that control, whether it be planning an overtaking maneuver, or driving in stop and go traffic.
Old 18th December 2014, 14:36   #410
Senior - BHPian

Once you get accustomed to an AT, I guess there's no looking back.
And whoever said driving an AT is no fun, ought to go to the west or Dubai - and feel the fun factor of AT variants of iconic cars.
As a case in point:
On a recent trip to Dubai, I had the pleasure to test drive two very iconic brothers both manufactured in 2014.
1. A Mustang GT with a 5L V8, and a manual 6 speed transmission.
2. A Mustang GT with the same engine, but a 6 speed auto box.

And believe me, the clocked run time on a deserted strip of tarmac outside Sharjah for both the the vehicles was almost the same -for me and my friend (who incidentally owned both of these beauties.)

When the difference in performance (running time) is less than a fraction of a second, which car would I choose as my daily drive - if I had all the Dirhams in the world for it?

No prizes if you guessed - the automatic!
And if you thought the answer is "Manual stick shift" - well , dear friend - think again.
joybhowmik is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 14:54   #411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
People are generally reluctant to change.
Irony is that they would quickly transform into advocates. Just a matter of time.
And I am a case in point, myself. When this poll happened, quite some time back, my vote was on Manual Transmission!

But, in the intervening period (thirty seven months to be precise), we bought ourselves a Dual Clutch Automatic, and gradually, I started driving other AT cars more and more, with an open mind, and started to realize the many benefits over Manual Transmission.

True, I would still shudder to drive the AT (not AMT!) units from Hyundai or Maruti which are relics, but the offerings from VW+Skoda, Ford, Honda, Nissan etc. are all very nice to drive (with their own pros and cons) and have immense fun to drive as well.

So, over the last 3 years, the AT technologies, on offer, have moved forward, the market has changed, the road conditions have also changed, which all, combined together make a compelling case for an AT.

At times, I do wish that my Gurkha could have had an AT.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 16:20   #412
BHPian

Several reasons:
- Its not available or not in the trim I want. I don't want to compromise other buying factors for the sake of an automatic.
- Its typically the version that has the longest waiting period. And I simply hate waiting once I have made up my mind about a car.
- My wife's driver prefers a manual. That rules out every other upgrade.

And I have been wishing for it for past 10 years now. Somehow the stars are not aligning
goldie_malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2014, 16:26   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Very good reasons @goldie_malhotra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
- Its not available or not in the trim I want. I don't want to compromise other buying factors for the sake of an automatic.
Very frustrating that companies like Maruti and Hyundai don't offer safety features on the AT variants of their top-selling cars. It's as if they are telling customers- here: you can either the AT *or* safety.
Quote:
- Its typically the version that has the longest waiting period. And I simply hate waiting once I have made up my mind about a car.
This may not always be true. In fact ATs don't sell as much so you may have to wait less for one.
Quote:
- My wife's driver prefers a manual. That rules out every other upgrade.
Oh yeah? Well, so did mine! And then one day I insisted that she take it for a spin round the block. Now it's as if she waits for a chance to offload her MT on me so that she can take the AT herself
Old 18th December 2014, 16:44   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

I think 2014 is the year with a lot of defining moments in the AT Space
  • Honda brought in a new CVT with the City replacing their 5 speed TC gearbox.
  • AMT from Maruti and Tata which promised AT convenience and Manual FE with a small premium. That straightaway blew away the 2 biggest concerns people have about AT

• Maruti in their typical fashion advertised the hell out of the AMT. Made every one sit up and take notice. So much so that we started seeing AT only Ads from Nissan and Honda
  • Tata brought in the Diesel AMT at < 10L. Filling the void for a large section of buyers.
  • VW group followed it up with the awesome DSG + Diesel that too with 2 variants each.

What needs to happen for the AT revolution to kick into a higher gear?
  • All manufacturers (Specially Maruti and Tata) ensure supplies in good numbers
  • Maruti and Hyundai bring in a 6 speed gear box and replace the 4 speed ones they are using now
  • Maruti and Hyundai ensure they have AT variants with safety features.

For the specific question of the thread. Well, I am an AT convert and switched from manual to AT in 2013 (An option needs to be added- "I already drive an AT" )

Note: I still think that apart from the VW DSG, the ford DCT and the Honda CVT, and to an extent the TC AT on the Brio and Amaze, all the other AT's (Basically everything from Maruti, Hyundai and Nissan) are ok for in City driving, not sure whether they have enough pep and response to handle Indian Highways.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:05   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

I was eagerly waiting for the Zest to be launched with that diesel + AT combination. But Tata for some reason decided that my life wasn't important enough and provided it only in the mid variants without safety features. Wish they has provided the option with there top variants also.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:17   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Oh yeah? Well, so did mine! And then one day I insisted that she take it for a spin round the block. Now it's as if she waits for a chance to offload her MT on me so that she can take the AT herself
My wife would love an AT - but she has a driver for her 80km daily commute. I had him drive an AT once, and he was all nervous and shaky throughout. At the end, he was quite relieved that the 'test' was over. Said - saahib - automatic nahi chalega . Nice guy otherwise.
Old 18th December 2014, 17:17   #417
Senior - BHPian

I am not a big fan of Automatics for the following reasons -

1. More expensive to purchase and maintain. At least a Lakh more than the manual T and higher maintenance in terms of wear and tear parts (esp. brakes).
2. No engine braking in AT hence lesser control compared to manual T.
3. Lower FE in most AT cars leading the higher fuel expenses.

I have driven both AT and MT almost the same mileage (AT in US and MT in India) and I am more inclined towards an MT. My better half can't do without an AT. So we have an AT and an MT car with us.
Old 18th December 2014, 23:05   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Honda brought in a new CVT with the City replacing their 5 speed
Honda had the CVT in the second generation City as well. It was only for the third generation that the resorted to the TC 5 speed box once again.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2014, 01:14   #419
BHPian

I am just recollecting an an advise I gave to a friend (before seeing this thread) of course.
Why do you want to buy an AT car as your first car? Imagine your first drive was a Honda Activa or scooty, would you ever be comfortable buying a Hero Splendor or Any geared bike?

So GO for AT if you have enjoyed MT to the core and got bored of it so much that you need AT.
Old 19th December 2014, 08:52   #420
Senior - BHPian

I have an automatic and a manual car.
The automatic being an electric car E2O, it does all the city commuting and runabouts.
It is perfect for us in the city and all outstation trips are managed by the Swift or Baleno depending on the mood.

After using an automatic car, I found that they are very convenient and I am planning for an petrol automatic in the next year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks