Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 17:08   #46
BHPian

re: Fiat Linea & Punto 2012 Models - Now Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
If FIAT launches Linea 1.6MJD, then I am the one first book the car for a replacement to my Linea 1.3MJD.
I don't have any issue with my 1.3 MJD, But better power is always welcome, though i have added RaceChip in my car, I prefer stock power & Torque from 1.6 MJD.
I don't want them to change any exterior or interior except Leather Seats, Sun Roof and Touch screen System with Navigation.
I am ready to shell out 11-12 Lakhs.
+1 to that. I think it is high time Fiat get the 1.6 in.

OTOH - How's your experience with RaceChip been? Can you PM me some details.. I am looking for a tuning box for my 1.3 MJD.
Old 7th December 2011, 17:30   #47
BHPian

Most of the issues related with Linea and Punto cant be the deal breaker for them.Many others have worse A.S.S.,worse quality of plastic used/design inside,more NVH inside cabin,much worse exterior/design,lot more expensive spare parts, worse mileage and still these cars sells more than fiat cars that too using their engines.But when it comes to ride quality,safety and drivability there is hardly any competition to fiat cars in their respective segments.

So what could be the single most factor that drives people away from fiat cars? Well if you talk to semi-literate public you will get the right answer.They just dont want to buy this car coz they think its made by fiat.Thats it!! No particular reason is given,they just have made their opinion about fiat to be not such a good car manufacturer.I am in process of buying a sedan and I have talked to may of these semi-literate close ones,they just want me to avoid fiat and its exactly this thinking that fiat needs to change somehow.Otherwise they are not going to sell more than a thousand cars to few 'fiatheads'.

And coming to Fiat 2012 cars,I hope they just improve the inside little bit instead of changing almost everything that separate fiat cars from other.
rsjaurr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 09:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Most of the issues related with Linea and Punto cant be the deal breaker for them.Many others have worse A.S.S.,worse quality of plastic used/design inside,more NVH inside cabin,much worse exterior/design,lot more expensive spare parts, worse mileage and still these cars sells more than fiat cars that too using their engines.But when it comes to ride quality,safety and drivability there is hardly any competition to fiat cars in their respective segments.

So what could be the single most factor that drives people away from fiat cars? Well if you talk to semi-literate public you will get the right answer.They just dont want to buy this car coz they think its made by fiat.Thats it!! No particular reason is given,they just have made their opinion about fiat to be not such a good car manufacturer.I am in process of buying a sedan and I have talked to may of these semi-literate close ones,they just want me to avoid fiat and its exactly this thinking that fiat needs to change somehow.Otherwise they are not going to sell more than a thousand cars to few 'fiatheads'.

And coming to Fiat 2012 cars,I hope they just improve the inside little bit instead of changing almost everything that separate fiat cars from other.

Actually all the factors that you mentioned work against Fiat, space utilization is terrible for cars that are dimensionally at the top of the heap in their segments. Service may be bad for certain cars, but no other brand other than Skoda(successful premium manufacturer) gets flamed so much for it. The cars with worse mileage are the petrol options but Fiat petrols hardly sell, and their mileage is usually worse. The expensive parts are available for the other cars and the Fiat-engined cars have their strong USPs which Fiat can't match.

The semi-literates you talk about have their priorities, ride quality of Fiat is something not everyone likes, on broken tarmac it gets irritating, safety is associated with airbags among the public and lots of cars offer them, driveability of a Fiat with its long clutch travel (MJD) is not the best in B2B traffic, infact it is the deal breaker.

I wish Fiat improves, but given their track record, I doubt anything other than beige interiors will be "NEW".
Old 8th December 2011, 10:52   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The semi-literates you talk about have their priorities, ride quality of Fiat is something not everyone likes, on broken tarmac it gets irritating
Sorry bro. I beg to disagree here. I don't know which fiat you own and why you made that statement. Coz my family is having 2 palios and a Linea. I've never felt anything wrong with the ride. In fact i could just breeze over broken tarmacs unlike the Marutis where i've to stop and break.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:08   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpursuit View Post
Sorry bro. I beg to disagree here. I don't know which fiat you own and why you made that statement. Coz my family is having 2 palios and a Linea. I've never felt anything wrong with the ride. In fact i could just breeze over broken tarmacs unlike the Marutis where i've to stop and break.
I have a Punto, it rocks on the highway, but off the main road(rural Kerala most often) it gets jarring, some people who are used to a firm ride, love it, but older people generally dont find it comfortable, all cars with firm suspension setup are a hard sell to people who look for comfort. Fiat cars are fun to drive, but in the long run I see them diluting this in favour of softer suspension and EPS. There is no use sticking to some USP when it makes better sense(revenue not enthusiasts' take) to make it more mainstream, once Fiat gets their act together in the US, their new cars will be like the American Jetta.

The 2012 editions may not have many changes, but once their all new replacements arrive, I expect rebadged Chrysler sedans and all-American handling(or lack of it).
Old 8th December 2011, 11:28   #51
BHPian

Hmm.. Don't about Punto. Haven't driven one yet. But I've driven palio and linea enough through broken stretches in Kerala. And I've actually quite loved it. Swift for example has a very firm ride.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Punto, it rocks on the highway, but off the main road(rural Kerala most often) it gets jarring, some people who are used to a firm ride, love it, but older people generally dont find it comfortable, all cars with firm suspension setup are a hard sell to people who look for comfort. Fiat cars are fun to drive, but in the long run I see them diluting this in favour of softer suspension and EPS. There is no use sticking to some USP when it makes better sense(revenue not enthusiasts' take) to make it more mainstream, once Fiat gets their act together in the US, their new cars will be like the American Jetta.

The 2012 editions may not have many changes, but once their all new replacements arrive, I expect rebadged Chrysler sedans and all-American handling(or lack of it).
I would advise you to try the same patch in any car of the same band (like Swift etc.)

PS: No offense meant to anyone please, just wanted to clear the doubts.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 8th December 2011 at 11:37.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:38   #53
BHPian

Facelift along with price hike on an already overpriced punto? I don't think this is the right time to do a price hike as they are already loosing grounds in Indian market. I suppose they should spend some money on resurrecting their lost brand value by ushering in some effective marketing campaigns.

Fiat getting their own showroom is a welcome change. I've seen tata sales folks' eagerness to convert a fiat customer to a tata customer whenever an inquiry comes in.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
I would advise you to try the same patch in any car of the same band (like Swift etc.)

PS: No offense meant to anyone please, just wanted to clear the doubts.

Cheers!
Irish
The other cars, one is a Bolero, you can forget about braking,it goes as long as the track is wide enough, and, ride quality, handling and so on are not on the radar when you drive that. The Fiesta(old and to be sold) is a little better, but the lack of power becomes obvious when the road deteriorates. An i10 along that road is torture, that is the closest camparison, being a hatch.

Fiat can get a lot more customers if they improve the gearbox, the 5th gear is too short and the shift quality, compared to the old Fiesta is horrible.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:11   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Punto, it rocks on the highway, but off the main road(rural Kerala most often) it gets jarring, some people who are used to a firm ride, love it, but older people generally dont find it comfortable, all cars with firm suspension setup are a hard sell to people who look for comfort.
The recent Fiats have the best ride and handling compromise in their respective segments. Only the Polo and Vento come close. I am not sure what parameters determine "jarring" for you, but that is absolutely not what I've experienced (includes driving with old people).

Quote:
Fiat cars are fun to drive, but in the long run I see them diluting this in favour of softer suspension and EPS. There is no use sticking to some USP when it makes better sense(revenue not enthusiasts' take) to make it more mainstream, once Fiat gets their act together in the US, their new cars will be like the American Jetta.
I think you make a good point here. Especially with the Chryslers that are already being rebadged (the 300 and Dodge Journey come to mind) it makes sense. In fact, in another thread people mentioned that the Journey may come to India; am not sure but it might work.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:18   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
The recent Fiats have the best ride and handling compromise in their respective segments. Only the Polo and Vento come close. I am not sure what parameters determine "jarring" for you, but that is absolutely not what I've experienced (includes driving with old people).
The Innova/Chevy like ride is what most people like, sad but true. You can say its not a fair comparison, but unlike publications/media most people can only compare among the different cars they get to use. I really don't care about Fiat weaknesses, driving alone with 3 AC vents pointed to me, I'll tell you the AC is effective, my highway to city driving is 2:1, so the drive/ride is great.

I guess you can say what you like to certain people, how do you convince them to get a Fiat when they find the HPS too hard and tell you that the EPS on some(name other brand) is awesome?Very smooth is the description. For the driver, a wider footwell, deeper set pedals, less clutch travel, better positioned window switches(a pain, Fiat fanboys hopfully agree on this point atleast) and improved gearbox,shift quality plus additional gear/taller 5th.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Innova/Chevy like ride is what most people like, sad but true. You can say its not a fair comparison, but unlike publications/media most people can only compare among the different cars they get to use.
True, but I do think it's an unfair comparison. I have a feeling that the Fiat's ability to mask their speed really well might plays into this notion too. Faster speeds, same broken roads......

Quote:
For the driver, a wider footwell, deeper set pedals, less clutch travel, better positioned window switches(a pain, Fiat fanboys hopfully agree on this point atleast) and improved gearbox,shift quality plus additional gear/taller 5th.
Ditto on all counts. I found the pedals + footwell combination to be especially irksome. If the focus is on making cars that are great to drive, basic driver ergonomics should have been better.
Old 8th December 2011, 21:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihmisohjus View Post
Thanks! I didn't know of that. I'm not sure whether it's the same in all the dealerships, but in Prerna, Bangalore, they have a bunch of engineers and mechanics who work only of FIAT cars and one side of the workshop is only for FIAT.
In fact, the engineer who deals with my car, goes to FIAT, Pune for training every three months. He also told me that at the factory, they have a bravo and a panda which they test(I'm not sure how true that is).
Well, I can certainly confirm that there is a Bravo at the FIAT factory in Ranjangaon. I think Deepak Kapoor uses it. Not sure about the Panda, though.

Like all FIAT cars, the Bravo too is a real looker. One has to admit that the Italians certainly know how to design their cars! The Maseratis may be the super models, but the FIATs are the sexy girls next door!
Old 8th December 2011, 22:04   #59

Any new models or engines being launched as well?
Old 8th December 2011, 22:30   #60
BHPian

Fiat is happy with other manufacturers queuing up for their Diesel engine but I suppose their own engine gives less KM/litre when its on a Fiat body than on Maruti; strange isn't it?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks