Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP members be role models for other motorists?
Yes, members can not/ should not lower the reputation of Team-BHP 23 50.00%
No, what members do with their vehicles/driving should not / cannot be the concern of Team-BHP 20 43.48%
Can't Say 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 12:26   #31
BHPian

Re: TBHP: A sticker that stands for "responsible driving"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
I had Team-BHP stickers on my previous ride - my Ford Fusion that i almost exclusively drove. But now, my Manza is driven by my Driver and despite warning him multiple times, i know that he will change lanes, break signals, drive rashly when he is driving alone. Cannot control it. Hence refrained putting Team-BHP stickers on it. Sometimes it is beyond you.
Please don't feel bad, but would you take that extra pain of sacking the driver and finding a responsible driver? I understand that we cannot control how the drivers of each and every vehicle we travel in, but the Manza is your own and any inconvinences / accidents caused by it is entirely your responsibility...
Old 14th December 2011, 12:32   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Please don't feel bad, but would you take that extra pain of sacking the driver and finding a responsible driver? I understand that we cannot control how the drivers of each and every vehicle we travel in, but the Manza is your own and any inconvinences / accidents caused by it is entirely your responsibility...
I wish i could, but finding a driver who comes regularly to work is so god damn difficult. With a high-demand for drivers (everyone from my security watchman, to the guy who irons clothes has jumped to driving due to the huge demand), i really have no choice.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:55   #33
Senior - BHPian

Today morning on Bannerghatta road i saw a red swift (old model) TN 07 BZ XXXX with LCLC sticker on the boot. The driver was very patient and very sedate and stuck to one lane. I was happy to see that and hope he does not think less of me since i was not as patient as him and did change lanes occasionally.

We were together till BG Road - ORR junction i think.

Thats when i barely spotted a black Scorpio (mHawk i think) that had two stickers on its booth: I Drive Safe and Live to Drive. The way it was being driven, the first one should have been I Drive Stupidly and Drive to Kill.

After some time close to Sagar hospital, I came across a silver Indigo CLS plastered with all the TBHP stickers. He was also sticking to the rightmost lane and sort of minding his own business. At the Sagar Hospital traffic light, i pulled up next to him and rolled down my window, only to see him texting/dialling on his cellphone. That explained why he was sticking to one lane. I just shook my head and moved on.

So, one out of three is still pretty good. Means there is some hope!
Old 14th December 2011, 13:07   #34
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^ Yep just the way I see it as well.

Not all drive safe irrespective of the stickers on the bumper. I too worry at times what others think of my driving - which is fast but yet considered safe by my acquaintences and those who dare to sit next to me.

See that people driving with TBHP stickers drive in all possible manners and each individual is different. Passion for Cars and knowledge about them does not necessarily seem to make all safe drivers.

It finally can take just 1 mistake however to undo all past efforts at driving well.
Old 14th December 2011, 13:41   #35
BHPian

May be a little off topic here, but aren't these stickers freely available to anybody who wants to buy them. The store clearly says that you do not need to be a registered member But just drive responsibly.

Not that this can be policed, but the point being for some it is a style statement and these people are not necessarily members of this forum.
Old 14th December 2011, 14:01   #36
AVR
BHPian

I really think for such a well moderated forum which doesn't allow membership so easily to ensure forum quality and reputation online, we should refrain from selling branded merchandise to people who can possibly damage the forum's reputation in the real world. Of course, the assumption that all tbhpians drive responsibly would have to hold.

Cheers,
Aditya
Old 14th December 2011, 14:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

can tbhp avoid any smalltime stickershop owner making copies of the TBHP stickers? NO!

That is reality. The sooner we stop chasing utopian ideals (without committing to concrete action ourselves & demonstrating followthrough), the better!
Old 14th December 2011, 14:37   #38
mxx
BHPian

It is very common to see rash driven cars with team-bhp stickers atleast here in Bangalore.

What you must know is that a person wont be a safe driver just because he is a member of any forum. And there is no way a forum can be responsible or regulate how the members drive.

Instead we can have a hall of shame thread. When one encounters any such vehicle with team-bhp sticker, post the details of the vehicle with time and place and nature of violation in the thread. I suggest the thread be made sticky.
Atleast the member who is listed in the thread, if they have some shame, will not repeat it.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:02   #39
BHPian

I have a brain that works.
I am a responsible driver.
I drive defensive and sedate (sadly, this is the best way to drive in our country without putting yourself and others in danger and in vulnerable situations).
I do understand that the roads are for everyone to use.

Hence I've "got bhp".

Memphes, good that you started this thread, however, responsibility on the roads must come from within every person, I mean, there should first be a "want and resolve" to be responsible on the roads so this is not something that can be taught, explained or enforced.
ssh1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 15:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Everyday morning when we start to get to our daughters school i am scared as there are two places on the way wherein it can get heavily jammed. One near ICICI Bank in Bellandur to take U turn, and another on Harlur road after crossing SJR apartments there is a narrow village lane. Both of these places have the potential to delay us to a point where in she gets late to school (even though we start ~20 mins before her school timings).

Its not her fault that the traffic jams occur, School has its own policy of marking kids late (So i guess its not their fault either). This year she has been very supportive and gets ready fast (in last six months she has been late to school in only 3 days).

So as a loving father, i do not want her to get late to school and have marked minute by minute landmarks that need to be crossed to get her to school on time (For example by 8:17 we should have taken right on Springfields junction into Harlur road, or By 8:23 we should have reached the starting of village road). If i get late in crossing these landmarks in the time that i have set myself i need to make it up in some other sector.

This means sometimes i need to speed up, sometimes honk, overtake when normally i would not, make lane changes. To a by stander or a driver in another car it would seem that i am driving rash and fast, but trust me i know the limits of myself and my car as in last three years there has not been even ten hair raising incidents.

I also sport I Drive Safe sticker, but to an outsider it may seem that i am not practicing what i am preaching, whereas in reality i am. All this does not mean that i am perfect, only a few days back my daughter gave me a doze of knowledge on not to talk on phone even when i am driving at speed of 20. Now i have bluetooth car phone system, so i do not need to pick up phone to talk.

There are times when we are in a hurry (for whatever reason), and it would be unfair for anyone to judge one's driving abilities/skills over a 10 sec duration.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 14th December 2011 at 15:10.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:23   #41
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^Mayankjha

Just do also see to it that your daughter is in the rear seat while you do all the speeding up that you need to get her to school. Touch wood.

I used to be in a similar dilema when our office for 1 year had gone mad on office timing and reduced grace to 5 mins (twice a month) and with a 1 hr road journey to get to office it meant leaving 1.5 hrs early to get there on time 100% of the time. This was due to the erratic traffice situation on ghodbunder road that would be terrible on some days and smooth on other days. I used to speed up at times to manage this in the last 15 mins drive and then in my mind curse the office admin guys for this absurd rule that resulted even in VP's getting reported for coming late. Finally spoke to the Chairman on day and made him realize the absurdity of the rule in a city like Mumbai and atleast for myself and my department got an exemption from it.

Speeding up is not a long term solution for sure. But we all do it from time to time.

But then there is a highway signboard that says "Better Late then Never"
Old 14th December 2011, 15:26   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
There are times when we are in a hurry (for whatever reason), and it would be unfair for anyone to judge one's driving abilities/skills over a 10 sec duration.
. To add to your point, though we are in a hurry, being BHPians, we would still adhere to certain basic standards of driving and not indulge in maneuvers which endanger other road users. It would just be that odd lane change to get ahead or overtaking a slow mover in the right lane (who is actually in the wrong) from the left side when the road is clear etc. It is all based on perception. For a slow driver who does not go above 40kmph come what may (yes there are certain such drivers whom i encounter daily on the way to work), though the speed limit is 80, if you are driving at smoothly at 60, he might feel you are fast/rash.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:02   #43
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
.For a slow driver who does not go above 40kmph come what may (yes there are certain such drivers whom i encounter daily on the way to work), though the speed limit is 80, if you are driving at smoothly at 60, he might feel you are fast/rash.
There is a lot of difference between driving fast and driving rash. You can drive fast without being rash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Every rash driver says that he is in a hurry. That is not an excuse. And every once in a while, many of them cause accidents. But, they are in a hurry right?
Old 14th December 2011, 16:11   #44
BHPian

Let's get this nailed ONE after ANOTHER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I'm with 4x4 addict and anachronix here. These kinda threads have been around atleast the 4 years i've been there. Suggest you use the search function and mods merge the threads with the existing threads -
The point is that TBHP is already far beyond a commitment to drive safe - members have long discussed the mechanics and the details on how to drive safe. Therefore, your thread, however, interesting the 1st post is, has no point.
PS: Please don't be frivolous - passports cannot be made in duplicates just like that. Either state verifiable facts or desist from alleging something about the one agency of the government that actually does its work religiously and honestly (IMHO) albeit at their own pace.
When you say, you're "HERE" with 4x4 addict and anachronix, I do not know "WHERE" because that is CERTAINLY NOT the direction I intend to take this thread. So, would appreciate it if you could take patience to make an attempt to distinguish this thread from the rest rather than branding it along the lines of one of the threads out there.

When you say, TBHP is far beyond a commitment to drive, does that mean we just leave it BEHIND, wherever that maybe even if it is TRASHED haplessly, and continue to move forward without refreshing some of the ETHOS we stand on? If there is NO POINT in reminding(let me REPEAT, REMINDING!) fellow TBHPians those very principles, in what holy way are we trying to "LIVE TO DRIVE" or "DRIVE SAFE"?

When you say, not to be frivolous about referring to the issue of FAKE passports in India, it was only a casual throw to make a fellow TBHPian realize that a TBHP sticker if NOT purchased from the TBHP store can EASILY be faked from a sticker store. Hence, there's no point in trying to regulate the sale of stickers. Now, if you, my friend, have personally taken offence owing to some association that you "may" have with that agency of the government, DO NOT. And now that you've brought it up, go to GOOGLE NEWS of any EDITION, and TYPE "fake passport". And tell us whether you see at least TWO issues of fake Indian passports in just the last 10 days. Gotcha! However, I aslo agree with you that the Passport Authority of India is definitely one respectable govt org through the enumerous reforms they have brought up over time. Having said that, I never meant that the Authority is issuing fake passports. I hope that's verfiable fact enough for now!

Lastly, let me ask you something. By totally trying to brand this thread amongst the ones that already exist on the forum without trying to get to the meat of it, are YOU not killing the HOPE that a few people on this forum, if not all, can be reminded about the importance of driving safe? And I meant, SAFE (not necessarilySLOW), meaning minimizing the risk quotient to its LEAST possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Leaving aside the topic of how to drive on Indian roads, all I am saying is that it is irrational to expect Team Bhp to give stickers only to safe drivers or for all cars with Team - BHP stickers to be driven safely..
How is this physically possible?
Welcome to the real world, my friend. These kind of utopian wishes will always remain wishes..
My friend:
1. I do not wish or care to alter the way TBHP sells their stickers, so you have my answer for that.
2. Thank you for wishes and welcomes to "YOUR" REAL WORLD but I'm sorry I'm going to have to reject that offer since it's too UTOPIAN to be on this forum. Rather, I'd brand that IGNORANCE. I live in a world where I do my part to contribute to the benefit of the cause. TBHP is a stage/platform to definitely REDLINE THE INDIAN AUTOMOTIVE SCENE not forgetting SOME VIRTUES.

Having said all, if you still feel there is a need to merge this thread with another that's already existent, I do not have a problem with that. If plainly spotting a fellow TBHPian elsewhere on the road, clicking a snap of it, and maintaining a thread wholly for it seems more important than recircling on some of the ESSENTIALS of road mannerisms that we must remind ourselves, then so be it.
Old 14th December 2011, 16:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
There is a lot of difference between driving fast and driving rash. You can drive fast without being rash.
Exactly! That's what I am trying to say. What you think is fast but not rash might be rash for some one else. Perception.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks