Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP members be role models for other motorists?
Yes, members can not/ should not lower the reputation of Team-BHP 23 50.00%
No, what members do with their vehicles/driving should not / cannot be the concern of Team-BHP 20 43.48%
Can't Say 3 6.52%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 00:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: TBHP: A sticker that stands for "responsible driving"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Once again, the emphasis of this thread is NOT to regulate the distribution or sale of stickers ! And yet, if there is a thread that I'm duplicating, I can pull this one off.
MempheS.D it really takes guts to start a new thread with regards to such topic and hats off to you with your opening post.

Rather than us discussing the topic among ourselves, lets have all the moderators and admin to put forward their thoughts about it and what they think is right.
Old 14th December 2011, 00:22   #17
BHPian

I have to seen a guy with a team bhp sticker in an accent driving not sooooo well about a year back . Anyway how do I get a sticker ? Please let me now .I agree the sticker stands for member of team bhp not a responsible driver . GTO a poll for this maybe ? member/responsible driver ?
Old 14th December 2011, 01:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I have to seen a guy with a team bhp sticker in an accent driving not sooooo well about a year back . Anyway how do I get a sticker ? Please let me now .I agree the sticker stands for member of team bhp not a responsible driver . GTO a poll for this maybe ? member/responsible driver ?
I have also come across rash driving incidents in the past from cars sporting Team-Bhp stickers and perhaps that's one reason I'm yet to get one for my cars fearing even I will also be perceived as a rash driver.

I think a good idea would be to start listing accounts and description of cars driven rashly with the stickers. Maybe this will dissuade members and non members from driving rashly. We can use following format to highlight incidents:

Car: Hyundai Elantra
Color: Blue
Place: Ulsoor lake road, Bangalore
Time: 8 :15 am
Reason: Unnecessary lane changing and cutting
Old 14th December 2011, 01:27   #19
BHPian

This is the reason why I don't slap Team-bhp stickers everywhere possible on my ride and flaunt being a Bhpian.

I am not complaining anything over here but I simply feel I am not matured enough to ride or drive in an exemplary way.

This also doesn't mean that I am a rash driver. I admit I am fast most of the times but I try to be as clean as possible, without disturbing fellow commuters. But then, I have been rebuked by some drivers/riders on many occasions...

A few months ago while coming back after a late-night show, I remember spotting two cars- Getz and Baleno with Got bhp? stickers pasted on their bumpers in the basement parking of the mall. Can you guess what were they doing? Yes, they were imitating Tokyo drift sequences with their glorified FWD cars. Pulling handbrake turns and creating nuisance. Now, if it were daytime and empty parking lot, I would have tried the same stunt too, but these numb-skulls were doing it at midnight, in the parking lot, blocking the exit for other cars.

Even a badly anticipated lane maneuver could give the whole community a bad name among other road users. It's not just a mere sticker but should be taken as a responsibility too.

I think Memphes.D you should go ahead and share the pics you had taken. It will definitely teach the wannabe a lesson, or he will atleast feel humiliated for a while in front of the whole community.
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 02:15   #20
BHPian

What a coincidence?! Only today I was searching for the store here at team bhp to place an order for the stickers! Well honestly, I had postponed to order till for the time being, till I figure out what I will do with the remaining 8 odd stickers that the store is giving as a bundle. No, honest, I really wondered why I am being given 10 stickers instead of maybe 2? I was already thinking of whom I would like to gift with a sticker and also spread the word about our forum....

I immediately realized one thing. All the rash drivers I had encountered in the past sporting this sticker on their cars may not necessarily have been a team bhpian after all. Relief! I always like to think of ourselves as educated responsible and sensible road users. Ok, maybe not always driving slow or exactly within speed limits etc, but as someone said above, just at least make sure whatever you are doing is not going to harm you and not ever going to cause inconvenience to fellow road users. I believe just adhering to this by one and all will bring a vast sense of civil culture on the road,making it a better place to dwell.
Old 14th December 2011, 02:32   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Good thinking. If you have a Team-Bhp sticker don't bring it to shame like the Team Dragster folks do. Every car I have with a Team Dragster sticker has driven like a lunatic !
Old 14th December 2011, 03:35   #22
BHPian

Thank you mempheS.D for starting this thread. It was on my to-do list for a long time but glad you have taken the initiative.

I also have couple of bitter experiences with cars donning the Tbhp stickers:
1) Involving a white scorpio on old airport road.
I was on the right lane about to go past a slow moving bus which was about to stop. I knew the bus would stop and hence was on the right lane driving at normal speed. This scorpio comes in from the left and tries to force in between the bus and my car by coming close to my car and honking. I did not give up, I maintained my right lane and just when it getting too tense, my wife asked me slow down. Then the guy came from left to the right lane just before the bus stopped. If the bus had stopped suddenly, he would have surely rammed into the bus.
2) Involving a red i10(old model). I was at a red signal at a JP nagar at 7.30am morning. There were ppl who were ignoring the red light and going ahead as usual but there was another car and couple of bikes who were waiting just like me. Then this i10 comes behind and starts to honk with 30 counts remaining on the traffic timer. I moved only when it was green and then gave way. The guy gave the typical stare that you get by many on roads. Sad to see educated ppl behaving like that that too who are members of tbhp.
Old 14th December 2011, 06:34   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I doubt listing the details of the cars we perceive were being driven rash is a great idea. It can certainly lead to arguements if the car belongs to a member. People might not agree with your account and have a right to question your judgement.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 06:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's not LOSE TRACK of the point here. You are absolutely RIGHT that giving away stickers cannot be controlled or checked in a country where passports can be made in duplicates without much sweat.

The point that I'm trying to make here is that, let's as a FORUM promote RESPONSIBLE DRIVING. Good driving etiquettes. And the urge to honour the gods of speed be kept off the streets.
I'm with 4x4 addict and anachronix here. These kinda threads have been around atleast the 4 years i've been there. Suggest you use the search function and mods merge the threads with the existing threads -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...e-driving.html
GTO's innovative approach via stickers: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...er-design.html (kudos to him for recognizing that the LTD far outstrips the drive safe sticker as seen practically)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ing-rains.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...you-drive.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ian-roads.html

The point is that TBHP is already far beyond a commitment to drive safe - members have long discussed the mechanics and the details on how to drive safe. Therefore, your thread, however, interesting the 1st post is, has no point.

PS: Please don't be frivolous - passports cannot be made in duplicates just like that. Either state verifiable facts or desist from alleging something about the one agency of the government that actually does its work religiously and honestly (IMHO) albeit at their own pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I doubt listing the details of the cars we perceive were being driven rash is a great idea. It can certainly lead to arguements if the car belongs to a member. People might not agree with your account and have a right to question your judgement.
Fully agreed. There are enough folks (and black/yellow airport taxis) whose idea of safe driving on the 8 lane gurgaon expressway happens to be plodding on the rightmost lane at 60-70 kph. Now if I run into any of those lane hogs (TBHP sticker notwithstanding), then I will flash lights and then honk and honk till they vacate the rightmost lane. Of course, they will completely hate me for it but IMNSHO they need to understand lane driving first. The truth is ALWAYS GRAY!

Last edited by phamilyman : 14th December 2011 at 07:03.
Old 14th December 2011, 07:25   #25
BHPian

I had Team-BHP stickers on my previous ride - my Ford Fusion that i almost exclusively drove. But now, my Manza is driven by my Driver and despite warning him multiple times, i know that he will change lanes, break signals, drive rashly when he is driving alone. Cannot control it. Hence refrained putting Team-BHP stickers on it. Sometimes it is beyond you.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:00   #26
BHPian

Yes. This is one of the reasons, I resisted the temptation to buy those nice idea of the T-Bhp stickers. The other reasons are pretty obvious. I often see vehicles with "I follow traffic rules" on the extra tire cover, but doing anything other than that. I did not want to fall into that league. Of course this is my personal reason.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Leaving aside the topic of how to drive on Indian roads, all I am saying is that it is irrational to expect Team Bhp to give stickers only to safe drivers or for all cars with Team - BHP stickers to be driven safely..

How is this physically possible?

Quote:
The point that I'm trying to make here is that, let's as a FORUM promote RESPONSIBLE DRIVING. Good driving etiquettes. And the urge to honour the gods of speed be kept off the streets.
Welcome to the real world, my friend. These kind of utopian wishes will always remain wishes..

Last edited by 4x4addict : 14th December 2011 at 08:13.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 08:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Ok, let me tell this. Instead of using this thread to "promote" safe driving, why can't use it for people to take a self-oath that HE/SHE will drive it safe!!! And follow it too!

See, it starts from US, not from THEM.

Just 2 cents.
mjothi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 11:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Be practical guys. Sorry to bust this bubble in the first page of this thread. This ain't gonna happen. Not that I don't want people driving in a sedate manner, but Team-bhp is a large community of auto enthusiasts and there is a good chunk of them who like to put pedal to metal.

How do you guys propose to keep track of who get the stickers? I can think of two easy ways. One is to make sure that the team bhp sticker is available only at the Indian Passport office after police verification. Second is to install and RFID chip in each sticker so moderators can go around with RFID readers to find out which team - bhpian has double parked his car.
How about making the stickers customisable with each BHP-ians handle printed just below the sticker itself ? This way when anyone spots inappropriate driving, parking, etc, they know exactly who it is on the forum. Plus, if you give your stickers to anyone else, it still has your handle - making you responsible for the kind of people you share them with, good drivers or bad.
SiddVish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 12:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ok, let me tell this. Instead of using this thread to "promote" safe driving, why can't use it for people to take a self-oath that HE/SHE will drive it safe!!! And follow it too!

See, it starts from US, not from THEM.
Completely agree with mjothi here. This thread started off with a different thought and is turning out to be about T-BHP stickers and who should sport them.

In my opinion, stickers or no stickers, driving style is more of habit, a value or a belief. And quite a bit of common sense too. If I know that driving rash, changing lanes and honking is going to get me to the destination just about 5 minutes early, I know that is a waste of energy, fuel amongst other things.

Hence I agree with Mjothi that we, as members, start doing what we want others to do.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks