Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 18:54   #31
BHPian

Re: Vahan & Sarathi - Software used by all RTO's

Hi. My 2005 Delhi registered Elantra shows on vahan.
But my now 1 year old Punjab registered vento doesn't show up. Maybe currently only data for metros is entered?
Old 29th December 2011, 19:56   #32
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandavadi View Post
My week old car lists in Vahan!!

But, I am unable to access Sarathi
Well, I guess the efficiency would differ from state to state. AP, TN and other states which have things their cars appear faster unlike other states.

Regarding Sarathi, you need to accept the security warning and go ahead and enter the site. It should open. I tried it just now on firefox 8.0 and it works perfectly.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 17:05   #33
BHPian

I tried for my car originally registered in KA and transferred to MH, Shows both the details correctly. Great initiative by government.

I wish we do not get overly worried of the car thieves/ security concerns raised by members. A thief trailing a car can anyways find the details by physically following car/ links in RTO etc.

Most importantly for vehicle owners this takes out the worry in case one sells his car, it can be verified easily from the website if the new owner has transferred the car in his/ her name or not.
Old 30th December 2011, 18:59   #34
BHPian

This is really a great site. VAHAN is very much useful while buying a used vehicle.
Hope the security of this site is further increased. Else, personal details are very easily available for miss use by any body who has the Chassis no along with Regn. No.

I feel, a PAN card details query of the Owner while searchling, along with the two parameters, might reduce the risk to some extent.

Mean while, my suggestion is to some how, hide the Chassis no. from exposure, atleast at Service centres.

Happy Revving!

Maverick79.
Old 1st January 2012, 10:13   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick79 View Post
I feel, a PAN card details query of the Owner while searchling, along with the two parameters, might reduce the risk to some extent.

Mean while, my suggestion is to some how, hide the Chassis no. from exposure, atleast at Service centres.

Happy Revving!

Maverick79.
Don't try to blank out your chassis number, it is illegal.

Btw, I have put up a grievance on pgportal regarding the websites security. Lets see how the ministry responds.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2012, 12:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Don't try to blank out your chassis number, it is illegal.

Btw, I have put up a grievance on pgportal regarding the websites security. Lets see how the ministry responds.
Oh is it? Thank you. I never new its illegal. Thanks for sharing this important piece of info.
I was in a thought of hiding it under a tape, with some kind of marking so that I can make out if some one tries to open it, when I give my ride for its next service.
Though it would be futile, it mighty make some one more curious to try to remove the tape just to find out what exactly it is!
It was just a thought.
Old 1st January 2012, 18:40   #37

This is a serious security issue. Personal information can
be obtained if u know the chassis no and reg number. Some crook can create fake documents using information and misuse it. In others words, you can be framed for some crime u never committed.
Old 1st January 2012, 22:04   #38
BHPian

My 2007 MH bike showed up in the search. 2001 KA bike not found.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:29   #39
BHPian

you do not need to know the chassis number to know the present owner of a vehicle on the kerala mvd website
https://smartweb.keralamvd.gov.in/km...trationnew.php

in the place of the chassis no just type five zeros and you are good to go; however you are not provided the address of the vehicle owner
Old 2nd January 2012, 13:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

I got the details of my Ford Fiesta but the manufacturer is shown as Fordil Ford India pvt ltd.

Also the fitness date is 17 Nov 2024, after that what??

Thanks a ton Moralfibre for the superlative effort. This is quite a handy piece of info.
Old 2nd January 2012, 15:12   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Also the fitness date is 17 Nov 2024, after that what??
After 17 Nov 2024, you will need to get a FC (Fitness Certificate) from the RTO to drive your vehicle on the roads, because it'll be over 15 years old by then!
Old 2nd January 2012, 18:42   #42
BHPian

EDIT: On the bright side, imagine you visit a used car dealer and you quietly note down the last 5 characters of the chassis number of the car along with the registration number. You could get in touch with the owner and get a fair idea on the vehicle mileage, condition and repair history, etc. I'm sure you could coax in to ask the selling price of the car to know how much the dealer is looting you. [/quote]

This is a great tip. Thank you! will pass this info to my pals. Many dealers rip u off after 'face-reading' you
Boomerang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 23:45   #43

It is nice to see such a consolidated database over internet...Tried it and works for both my car and bike.......
sureshpisharodi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 17:14   #44
BHPian

thanks for sharing this info, though Sarathi site couldnt open !

I'ld like to share how Vahan site helped me. Before Xylo, I had Indigo which I sold to a dealer after removing from bank's HP. I was following-up with the dealer since long time to give a copy of transfer papers so that I would be assured, but dealer was always giving excuses and even I went bit lazy. On searching on Vahan, found the details and now assured of the new owner's name registered therein with history. Did the same with current Xylo and took screen-shots of both vehicles, emailed the file to myself for any future reference.

Off-Topic, if permitted: I have scanned copies of imp docs (invoice, warranty, insurance, RTO smart card, driving license, passport etc) on my email, a bit of "Cloud Computing" ?!
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 11:37   #45
BHPian

One more problem in Vahan site, the search history is not cleared automatically.
The previous results are again displayed when you click on 'Vehicle search'.

The problem with these nic sites are that they never try to obtain feedback and act on them. And literally all nic sites post a security warning.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks