Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2011, 09:24   #1
Team-BHP Support

Vahan & Sarathi - Software used by all RTO's

There are about 975 RTO's across India. There was a need to centralize the databases of all these RTO's in an attempt to make data available real time to all offices. The ministry of Road Transport and highways entrusted this job to the National Informatics centre as it does for other government portals. Thus was born Vahan and Sarathi, two portals that hold current data for all RTO's and growing.

Vahan:

Vahan serves all activities related to vehicle registration, tax, permits etc. Following is a list of these services to be delivered through vahan:
  • Vehicle Registration
    New Vehicle Registration
    Renewal of Registration
    Transfer of Ownership
    Change of Address etc.
  • Permit
    Issue of National & Interstate Permit
    Renewal of Permit
  • Taxes
    State-wise tax calculation & Payment
  • Fitness
    Issue of Fitness Certificate
    Renewal of Fitness Certificate
  • Enforcement
    Issue of Challan
    Settlement of Penalty Amount
Vahan offers a search feature where you could access your vehicle registration information by putting in your registration number and last 5 digits of your chassis number. Try it here.

Tried and tested for my 2011 Swift and it got me all the information.

Website for Vahan: https://vahan.nic.in/nrservices/faces/welcome.jsp

Sarathi

Services to be offered through Sarathi include:
  • Driving license
  • Conductor's license
  • Driving school license
  • Fees
Similar to Vahan, Sarathi offers a license search feature as well. Try it here.

Tried to search for my license issued in 2003 and it doesn't show up.

Website for Sarathi: https://sarathi.nic.in:8443/nrportal...i/HomePage.jsp

The website interfaces for both Vahan and Sarathi appear to be amateurish. I sincerely wish they complete the portals and throw them open to public for online appointments, et al. The website for Sarathi is still running on the default tomcat port and is one of the worst hosting practice.

The websites ssl certificates have expired and it is NOT recommended to try any secure transactions via these websites.

More details on the initiative can be found here.

Last edited by moralfibre : 27th December 2011 at 09:28.
moralfibre is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 09:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Vahan & Sarathi - Software used by all RTO's

This is great. I always wished that government offices offer information and collect information online.

I agree that the websites look amateurish, but i will give that a pass for now. Its important they offer all planned functionality and then the looks can be taken care of.

I tried Sarathi with my 2007 issued electronic driving license and it did not have it in its database
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 14:33   #3
BHPian

The try it here link does not seem to be working, at least on Chrome.
Also, it says that the website is not a trusted source of information
My Himachal Pradesh issued licence is also not showing in the search. Maybe they are still updating the database!
Old 27th December 2011, 18:53   #4
BHPian

Tried for my car which I sold recently and it showed all the details including the details of transfer of ownership! Excellent initiative by the govt.
LastActionHero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2011, 19:00   #5
BHPian

Doesn't show my 2 month old car in search :(
Old 27th December 2011, 20:37   #6
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Welcome to the Indian bureaucracy. It should eventually show up, give it a couple months or so.

I'll check my 7 year old car shortly and post results. Thanks @moralfibre for the good thread
Old 27th December 2011, 20:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Opening the website shows SSl Certificate error. Eventually on continuing the website Vahan does open up.
It showed details of both my Kinetic Honda Jan'96 and Vento TDi Apr'11. Very useful website but the website hasn't been coded properly. There are some loopholes.
NiC needs to provide proper security to the database otherwise if it falls in wrong hands read thief's, it could easily disclose owners address and other confidential data.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 13:57   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
My Himachal Pradesh issued licence is also not showing in the search. Maybe they are still updating the database!
I guess their licensing database is not yet updated. The try it link works, just accept the security error and add an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Tried for my car which I sold recently and it showed all the details including the details of transfer of ownership! Excellent initiative by the govt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
I'll check my 7 year old car shortly and post results. Thanks @moralfibre for the good thread
I did manage to get details of my Swift that I bought a few months ago as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
adg_andy, try el lobo's suggestion as below. Do ensure you put in the last 5 characters of your chassis number as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Opening the website shows SSl Certificate error. Eventually on continuing the website Vahan does open up.
It showed details of both my Kinetic Honda Jan'96 and Vento TDi Apr'11. Very useful website but the website hasn't been coded properly. There are some loopholes.
NiC needs to provide proper security to the database otherwise if it falls in wrong hands read thief's, it could easily disclose owners address and other confidential data.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Don't select any particular state from the drop down box for the license details. Let the option stay in the "select state" view.

I used the Tamilnadu state option but I got a "no data exists" message. De-selected the state & got all details!

Mubeen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 14:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

My 2002 Driving License doesnt show up here. But the details of my car sure do. Impressive. Hope it helps police track down offenders more quickly.

EDIT : Moralfibre , I am tempted to post this link on Pune Traffic Police's Facebook page, every time they cite reasons like "Out of Pune Registration, cant do anything" when it comes to prosecuting non MH12/MH14 vehicles.

Last edited by sajo : 28th December 2011 at 14:15.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 14:12   #11
BHPian

Thanks for this information ...it showed me all details of my cars
supratim07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 14:25   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubeen View Post
Don't select any particular state from the drop down box for the license details. Let the option stay in the "select state" view.
I used the Tamilnadu state option but I got a "no data exists" message. De-selected the state & got all details!
but it still doesn't show up MH driving licenses. Thanks for the tip for fellow TN members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
My 2002 Driving License doesnt show up here. But the details of my car sure do. Impressive. Hope it helps police track down offenders more quickly.

EDIT : Moralfibre , I am tempted to post this link on Pune Traffic Police's Facebook page, every time they cite reasons like "Out of Pune Registration, cant do anything" when it comes to prosecuting non MH12/MH14 vehicles.
The problem I see sajo is that they won't have the last 5 characters of the chassis number. Not that they wouldn't be able to get past that requirement if they have access to the database. But, you know how our babus are.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:32   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

The problem I see sajo is that they won't have the last 5 characters of the chassis number. Not that they wouldn't be able to get past that requirement if they have access to the database. But, you know how our babus are.
There is an option of logging in too, so I guess there will be a option of bypassing chassis number trick.

I am worried about two wheelers though. Bikes have their chassis number etched on the frame, and if i was a thief, I could get all info from there.

Last edited by sajo : 28th December 2011 at 14:38. Reason: Added Chassis Number!
Old 28th December 2011, 14:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
There is an option of logging in too, so I guess there will be a option of bypassing chassis number trick.

I am worried about two wheelers though. Bikes have theirs etched on the frame, and if i was a thief, I could get all info from there.
Yes, there should be a login for the traffic cells across the country to nail offenders. A lot can be done when you have an automated system, the question is, will they?

It is an unsecured database from what I see. You have as much access to two wheeler information as me.

EDIT: On the bright side, imagine you visit a used car dealer and you quietly note down the last 5 characters of the chassis number of the car along with the registration number. You could get in touch with the owner and get a fair idea on the vehicle mileage, condition and repair history, etc. I'm sure you could coax in to ask the selling price of the car to know how much the dealer is looting you.

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th December 2011 at 14:40.
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 14:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Edited my Earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It is an unsecured database from what I see. You have as much access to two wheeler information as me.
No no, I mean, even if I am a regular joe thief, I can saunter across a public parking lot, check out the chassis number of a few bikes and note their registration numbers, go home, get their home info and proceed to misuse it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks