Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 13:17   #76
BHPian

Re: December 2011 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Thank you GTO & Jalsa777 for the numbers and representation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

On the flip side, Maruti’s list of duds is fast expanding. The back benchers list includes the A-Star (a relatively modern car), Estilo, Kizashi & Grand Vitara.
I think Maruti is not able to concentrate on some of its models due to the prime focus on Swift and trying to come to terms with all the losses it incurred in the last quarter due to the labour unrest and its aftermath.

Not really sure if Maruti is
  1. "not able to" concentrate on its complete portfolio of automobiles (for the reason mentioned above) OR
  2. "does not want to" concentrate OR
  3. "is not strategically capable / technically equipped to" concentrate
I am NOT convinced that the reason is #3, but if it is, then MS will find it very very tough in the face of stiff competition that is getting stiffer every quarter.

If I were one of them (Maruti Suzuki), I would possibly look at it like this:-

The Situation:
  • Right now, my (read Maruti Suzuki) models in the B1 and the B2 segments (read WagonR and Swift are doing really well). I also have the Dzire, followed by Ritz and these don't have any immediate threat in the market.
  • My Alto is giving me numbers that other manufactures can only dream of, but I am steadily losing ground. In fact, in the last 6 months my Alto hasn't registered more than 25000 units per month (in March 2011, Alto sold a whopping 38000+ units).
Check it here:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html
  • The Estilo, I thought would recover after the earlier face lift and it did for a brief time before fading out.
  • The A-Star is helping me with my exports but it's not selling here in India.
  • And now I have competition in the form of the small wonder "Eon" and the rejuvenated "Nano”. May be the Chevy Spark 800 is not far behind.
Analysis:
  • Go speak to Alto and it might almost say "Don’t I look like from the days of yore?"
  • The Estilo would in all possibilities ask "What's my role? What do you want me to do?"
  • And the export model A-Star would say "if you wanted, I could have competed with the i10!"
So if I sit down and think hard, because if I don’t, very soon Eon and others are going to walk away with sizeable portions of my market share and I (apart from Honda) know it better than anyone else how it hurts to lose to the competition.

Possibilities:

Sometime back, I (read Maruti Suzuki) wanted to introduce the Cervo here. Now, that could have given a big helping hand. Also there was word that the ALL NEW 800 would debut this year (2012). This ALL NEW 800 possibly has to be reworked NOW to look contemporary.
  1. Alto and Alto K10
    • These are technically good cars. So then, what do these cars need?
    1. A full exterior facelift – borrow from A-Star and some bits from Estilo and make the looks, at least contemporary
    2. Beneath the hood, let them remain the same, but some tuning should do no harm
    3. For the interiors, please enlighten the car and the customers. Being and looking durable is one thing, plus looking great is really going to be great
    4. And finally don’t ask for a hefty premium for this ALL NEW ALTO
  2. Estilo
    • The Estilo can also do better. What can be done?
    1. An exterior facelift – get some lines, break the monotony
    2. For the interiors, give a rear seat split. Improvise the rear seat – almost a bench in the current model
    3. Rework on the pricing, do not compete with the WagonR
  3. A-Star
    • The A-Star is quite new. What does this car need?
    1. A facelift on the rear, the rear needs to look and be more proportionate (meaning taller)
    2. For the interiors, rework on the rear seat – give some space for legs and head. If this is a Sports model, let the interiors do the talking
I feel the key is:
  • An ALL NEW ALTO, supported by the refreshed Estilo & A-Star; and a new launch in the form of Cervo
OR
  • A face lifted ALTO, supported by the refreshed Estilo & A-Star; and a new launch in the form of ALL NEW 800
These are just possibilities; the MS strategists hopefully would do what is best for their sustenance.

Thanks,
C_
Coolman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 13:33   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Looking at the RE60, doubt it can affect Nano. The target segments are totally different -

RE60 - Auto guys who want to upgrade to "taxi". Doubt we will see any white board RE60's

Nano - Mostly selling to people who want a 2nd/3rd car as a city runabout
You are right. I stand corrected after learning more about RE60. RE60 can not be a good car, taxi or an auto in its current avatar.

It is an interesting line of thinking to develop a 4 wheeler from a 3 or 2 wheeler platform. But lot more need to be done to make it feasible either as a car or a taxi.
Old 5th January 2012, 16:01   #78
RGK
Senior - BHPian

The reporting structure is well redefined. Thanks GTO and team.
Ford entirely depends on Figo sales now unless Ecosport SUV (amazing look in the autoshow) comes good. As rightly said, Ford have to think of pricing of NF.

Sorry to see the Fiat performance (resembles Indian batting down under) and could not understand their plan of snapping ties with Tata.

2012 is going to see more competition which is good for customers.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:02   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Tata is doing decent numbers with Indica and Indigo. RE60 from Bajaj could pose maximum threat to Nano when launched. Suzuki would bounce back sooner. Already Swift and Wagon R have started clocking some impressive numbers. Is Alto under pressure (not seeing 30k numbers consistently anymore) after Eon launch? Alto might need a facelift - can A-Star be rebadged Alto K10? Suzuki is already clocking great numbers with their existing sedans. If only their sedans can be made to look presentable, their sales charts could well be on fire.
I really doubt if RE60 is going to dent Nano by much. With a 200cc (most probably autorickshaw derived) engine, it really cannot do battle with the 600cc Nano. Also, how low will Bajaj be able to price the RE60? Definitely not half the price of Nano. Somehow, I really do not see the point of RE60
Old 5th January 2012, 18:17   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
I really doubt if RE60 is going to dent Nano by much. With a 200cc (most probably autorickshaw derived) engine, it really cannot do battle with the 600cc Nano. Also, how low will Bajaj be able to price the RE60? Definitely not half the price of Nano. Somehow, I really do not see the point of RE60
Agreed and I stand corrected :-). Please check my last post a couple of posts above yours.
Old 5th January 2012, 22:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that XUV did not eat into the sales of Brother Scorpio, instead the sedans above 12 lakhs got a hit in sales number link Altis, Cruze Laura etc.
Old 6th January 2012, 09:50   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Good to see that XUV did not eat into the sales of Brother Scorpio, instead the sedans above 12 lakhs got a hit in sales number link Altis, Cruze Laura etc.
Er... I'm not really sure most of the people who'd buy an Altis would really be interested in XUV mate As for Laura, strictly speaking, the sales figures dont show much of a difference from the year's trend
Old 6th January 2012, 10:46   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Going with past history where a new product by Indian company appears , intitally there is euphoria.
Once issues like refinement , quality issues crop up , the next upgraded version it will be resolved to stabilize the product.
So XUV 500 is no different.
Intial euphoria will die down once issues corp and then XUV will stabilize once these are addressed.
NO way XUV can affect Lauras , Cruzes.
Theey are class above XUV

Last edited by YVES : 6th January 2012 at 10:51.
Old 6th January 2012, 11:26   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateurpro View Post
Agreed and I stand corrected :-). Please check my last post a couple of posts above yours.
Sorry. just saw it after I posted my reply. See that you are from Chennai too. Cheers, mate!
Old 6th January 2012, 12:38   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb View Post
Er... I'm not really sure most of the people who'd buy an Altis would really be interested in XUV mate As for Laura, strictly speaking, the sales figures dont show much of a difference from the year's trend
Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
Going with past history where a new product by Indian company appears , intitally there is euphoria.
Once issues like refinement , quality issues crop up , the next upgraded version it will be resolved to stabilize the product.
So XUV 500 is no different.
Intial euphoria will die down once issues corp and then XUV will stabilize once these are addressed.
NO way XUV can affect Lauras , Cruzes.
Theey are class above XUV
Ohh.. People are even talking that it will eat into the sales of Fortuner and so on so why not everything below that. Specially the Taxi walas and people going in for Petrol variants.

It sure gives more space, advanced features, is talk of the town and after all is a modern SUV giving 15kmpl in diesel, 17"alloys and all bells and whistles. It saves you at least 2 to 5 lakhs too.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:54   #86
BHPian

Is there a way we can get information like how many diesel cars / Petrol cars in a particular model? Just curious...
Old 7th January 2012, 01:37   #87
BHPian

Another pathetic month for fiat and it seems that end is near for them.Well its really painful that month after month one sees the sales of ones favorite car falling down to nought and that too despite its being great overall product . I dont know what is transpiring in FIat board meetings to stem the tide but they must not be sitting hands tied .lets hope and pray that such a wonderful brand is not wasted due to callous management of FIat motors
regards
Praveen singh
Old 7th January 2012, 13:34   #88
BHPian

I dont think Fiat will ever die.. Atleast for the quality products they make. Its just their sevice networks that made me change my decision.. Wishing they sort things real quick that way my next car could be a Fiat..
Old 7th January 2012, 14:29   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esranjith View Post
Is there a way we can get information like how many diesel cars / Petrol cars in a particular model? Just curious...
Hey esranjith, strictly speaking, for that sort of data, you'd have to contact someone from the manufacturers itself. Again, they might deem the data to be too confidential to share with public. But then, knowing the right people might help. :P
Carb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2012, 20:16   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb

Hey esranjith, strictly speaking, for that sort of data, you'd have to contact someone from the manufacturers itself. Again, they might deem the data to be too confidential to share with public. But then, knowing the right people might help. :P
@Carb Thanks. knowing such info might help at times. I remember spending a day in Banglore en route on a road trip to Pune trying to find a bearing and belt for Accent DLS. We went from hosur to blore thinking we can get it there.. Turns out there are very very few DLS in blore and parts not availabe.. One day lost waiting for parts.. Such info could have helped us go the right way..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks