Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2015, 05:16   #106
BHPian

In my opinion Lexus could consider the all new 4th generation RX in the 450H hybrid configuration and use the 2016 Auto Expo as a testing venue and based on response launch the model sometime in the middle of next year.

This would be a revolutionary car for someone looking to spend about 80 Lakh, that is distinctly different from the European rivals. It has an grabbing edgy design, Japanese "hi-techiness" and American comfort going for it.
Old 23rd June 2015, 09:51   #107
BHPian

Lexus Launch in India. Confirmed News

Folks, Here is the confirmed news and How I came to know.

I have appeared for the Toyota Kirloskar in the Supreme Court on a few occasions. And this is what the Kirloskars told me last week .

The Lexus Range is being launched in India in December 2015.
The first Range will be its SUVs
GX/LX.

The price of GX would be around 1.61 crores.

Then it would be The Sedans GS and ES.

I also confirmed it from my friend at ARAI Pune that the entire Range has already been homologated.

I thought that there no better Forum than this to share. You are the first one to get the confirmed news !!!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2015 at 09:58. Reason: Post edited. Please limit smileys to 2 per post.
chinmoysc is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:41   #108
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lexus Launch in India. Confirmed News

I don't think this will affect the Germans in any way, 1.6 crores for a Toyota look alike is way overboard, it has none of the prestige of a Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Jagauar not necessarily in that order. No diesel in the entire range and some of the plastics, interior layout and media interface is nearly two generations behind.Selling Lexus from existing large Toyota dealerships might work out because of the willingness to pay for reliability.

The RX hybrid is probably the only practical Lexus around, the rest are just average cars, the sedans are simply outclassed in terms of engine choice and interiors and options by the German competition. Lexus engines especially the 2.5 and 3.5 petrols have awful fuel economy and terrible performance, why would anyone choose an IS250 over a C220 cdi, a GS350/450 over a 520d/E250/A6 or an LS460 over an S500, they simply won't. Lexus was awesome because long ago Americans couldnt buy reliable luxury cars and Lexus was able to fill that niche, that isn't as strong a USP anymore as practically all manufacturers have upped their game. Lexus has about the same brand recall as Volvo.
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:56   #109
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lexus Launch in India. Confirmed News

Zauba doesn't show any Lexus' imported.

Also 1.6 for a GX? The Prado is bad enough at 80 ex showroom, if they think they are going to sell any GXs at 1.6 god help them. I shudder to think what the LX will be priced at then.

Lexus does have some brand recall in India, and their vehicles are certainly more reliable than the Germans. If only they are priced right.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 15:51   #110
BHPian

It's good news that Lexus will be here soon, but 1.6 for the GX makes no sense at all to be honest. I think 1.6 sounds just fine for the LX, the GX shouldn't be more than 1.1
Old 23rd June 2015, 17:31   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs

Coming with the GX/LX first is a stupid move IMO, considering that the Prado and LC200 is sold at extremely premium prices, especially the Prado.

They should launch the core Lexus models- the IS,GS,LS in hybrid as well as petrol forms, with emphasis on the hybrid models. If the recent success of the Camry hybrid means anything, Indian customers are opening to the idea of hybrids over diesels.

But if they are going to price it like they do in Thailand (given that they are going to import from Japan only), then the staunch Toyota/Lexus fan I am, can only see them playing as extremely niche models.
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:02   #112
Senior - BHPian

re: Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs

Considering that the Prado and Land cruiser are selling at astronomical prices, we should have expected insane pricing the Lexus range of cars. 1.6 Cr is crazy pricing and even a die hard Lexus fan will think many times before buying at these prices. I think we can buy a Mercedes GL 350CDI + BMW 530D for around 1.6-1.7 Cr isn't it?!
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:54   #113
Team-BHP Support

Few things , Lexus is sold by different Dealerships than Toyota implying large investments on Sales & Service setup . No dealer in right mind will ever Invest Crores of Rupees to sell a product which is dead before arrival unless subsidised heavily from Toyota Indian operations .

GX retails starts at around 50,000 USD for a 8 cylinder Petrol and if we deduct all overheads and dealer margins in US , basic shipping costs Ex Japan will be more like 40,000 USD which should make price like INR 70-80 lac even with 220 % Plus duties & Taxes . Now why they sell LC at over Rs 80 Lac is primarily because of absence of a trading company so they get everything invoiced from Japan at fair market value unlike Europeans where they get cars at Cost price and profits are sent by way of royalties. I think Toyota just wants to be away from all such pricing issues and wants to have a very clean approach which might change with Lexus -so If they are indeed getting Lexus here than we should expect some competitive prices surely - I hope Toyota has understood Indian market by now

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd June 2015 at 21:06.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 14:34   #114
BHPian

Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Possible launch in 2015?

Went to Grace Toyota Gurgaon to book my LC 200 today, and look what I spotted. Turns out it is Kirloskar Motor's car, and the daughter was there at the showroom for a visit.
Attached Thumbnails
Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs-img_4207.jpg  

Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs-img_4208.jpg  

Last edited by Shivjeet : 11th December 2015 at 14:41.
Shivjeet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 14:45   #115

So, just came across this on IB - a new report seems to be suggesting a 2016 launch.

Lexus RX, Lexus ES will arrive in India by H2 2016 as CKD – Report

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2015/12/i...#ixzz3uBsUQWcc
Old 13th December 2015, 18:30   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Eow...

The most popular Lexus models nevertheless but also the most unLexus ones too as they are based on the Camry platform.

The decisions most likely maybe a result of Toyotas reluctance to make the Lexus models outside of the Japan plants compromising their impeccable build quality.(please don't counter with the fact that the S class is made globally)

And interestingly other than the RX made in USA, all other Lexus are still Made in Japan only, so this would be an interesting start for Toyota. Who knows, maybe in the future, most Lexus models barring the top ones maybe assembled here

And needn't be said that Toyota will launch hybrid models or even be 'Hybrid only' in India to counter the European diesel advantage.
Old 13th December 2015, 23:03   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Eow...

The most popular Lexus models nevertheless but also the most unLexus ones too as they are based on the Camry platform.

The decisions most likely maybe a result of Toyotas reluctance to make the Lexus models outside of the Japan plants compromising their impeccable build quality.(please don't counter with the fact that the S class is made globally)

And interestingly other than the RX made in USA, all other Lexus are still Made in Japan only, so this would be an interesting start for Toyota. Who knows, maybe in the future, most Lexus models barring the top ones maybe assembled here
The current gen ES is based on Avalon platform and is much better in all aspects than previous gen.
Also the North American sold RX is produced in Canada and ES is now assembled in USA too.
v1kram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 23:31   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Went to Grace Toyota Gurgaon to book my LC 200 today,
That's cool , congrats ! how much is on-road price and when will they be delivering ..
Old 14th December 2015, 00:59   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
The current gen ES is based on Avalon platform and is much better in all aspects than previous gen.
Yep, do agree that its way improved. Heck, even the previous ES was engineered so much to give an isolated ride and didn't even once show the Camry underpinnings.
But still, its the Camry platform and the Avalon is just an extended Camry with V6 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1kram View Post
Also the North American sold RX is produced in Canada and ES is now assembled in USA too.
But it took some 26 years for the ES to be assembled in the U.S while the RX was being assembled from the second generation onwards if am right.
Old 15th December 2015, 15:34   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's cool , congrats ! how much is on-road price and when will they be delivering ..

Thank you . It'll be delivered in March, because I ordered a Silver with dark brown interior, which they don't have in stock right now. On road is around 1.45. Also they had no info on the accessories when I ordered. I want the front and rear bumper extensions that are offered in other countries, as it makes the road presence a lot better.

Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450173794.168590.jpg
Lexus - The Indian Challenge. EDIT: Launched, range starts from Rs 55.27 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450173805.271909.jpg

You can see the extensions in the pictures attached.
Shivjeet is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks