Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 18:17   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 3 Cylinder Nano on the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
non-stream
You hit the nail right on the head, Guna! In my Tata Nano review, I listed out the reasons behind its failure. One of them was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2. It’s simply too unconventional: The Indian market, especially first-timer buyers, are a conservative lot. In that, they are extremely risk averse. The Nano is too “different” and “unconventional” for the mass market tastes. Factors like the engine placed at the back, a hatch that doesn’t open, battery under the front seat, 3-bolt wheels, differently sized front & rear tyres, lack of a glovebox et al make the Nano too different a concept for the junta. Many, including some owners, refer to the car as a toy.
On a related note, here are some other reasons. I wonder which one of them Tata is solving with a bigger 800cc petrol engine??!!

Quote:
1. Poor targeting: Let's face it, a large number of 2 wheeler owners – out of choice – don’t want to upgrade to a car. Petrol is too expensive (commuter bikes are 5 - 6 times as fuel efficient as a Nano) while a large % of motorcycle owners don’t even know how to drive. That probably explains why a majority of bookings (from the 1st round) were for the top-end LX variant.

3. The image of the “cheapest car” in the world: The media & Tata overplayed the “1 lakh car” bit. Let's reflect on when the Maruti 800 was launched; it was hardly pitched as a cheap car. Instead, Maruti chose to focus on the strengths of the product, which were only amplified by word-of-mouth recommendations based on owner experiences. Car ownership in India is greatly driven by aspirational value, and owning the “cheapest car in India / the world” is not something one aspires to. Simply put, the Nano lacks the all-too-crucial status that first time car owners are looking for.

4. The Nano isn’t really a 1 lakh car: The on-road pricing varies between 1.5 lakhs for the base version, and goes to well over 2 lakhs for the LX variant. Many two-wheeler owners weren't even eligible for car financing in the first place. For those that are, in our EMI-driven times, the 800, Alto & Spark aren't too far away.

5. Poor communications: Tata’s handling of the media around the Nano fire incidents left a lot to be desired. 5 out of 10 people who sat in my test Nano mentioned something or the other about the car catching fire.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 19:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
i bought a 2012 nano 3 months back and i am enjoying it extremely. Super quick in traffic and gives me a 20 kmpl with full time ac (who needs a diesel ?). It has the best in class fuel efficiency and has the more room than 800 / alto / spark..
Can we have a detailed review soon please?potential customers like me are waiting!!!
Old 1st March 2012, 20:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

If I had to guess, the main objective of the 3-cyl engine is to eradicate the 'beat' of a twin that makes it sound like an rickshaw (phat phat phat), rather than increase power.

At least for me this is a big turn-off. I cant imagine what a diesel twin will sound like (an Ape maybe?)

Even the Fiat Twin (multiair?) has the same issue.

Of course, like someone said you can go with a larger silencer and muffle the noise to an extent but the 3-cyl configuration completely solves this issue.

But I also agree that other changes need to be made to complete the package.

Last edited by Mpower : 4th September 2012 at 20:11.
Old 1st March 2012, 23:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On a related note, here are some other reasons. I wonder which one of them Tata is solving with a bigger 800cc petrol engine??!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If I had to guess the main objective of the 3-cyl engine is to eradicate the 'beat' of a twin-cyl that makes it sound like an autorickshaw (phat phat phat).
Based on some report I read, TATA wants to get rid of the "cheap" car image that Nano is tagged with. And this is the main reason why they have come up with the 3 cylinder motor. They also go on to say that Nano has started getting the traction they always wanted and they dont want to spoil it by bringing a diesel too soon. Hence diesel launch has been moved off by an year or so!
Old 2nd March 2012, 08:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably you have not understood my point. I was not saying that it has the tank in the front, but that is the kind of perceptions certain non-conventional design can lead to. If they make the fuel opening in the rear, it will be so much more 'socially acceptable'.
We are talking about why a product like this has not lived up to it's potential (if a Alto can sell in 25000 numbers/month, Nano has to sell at least as many if not more).
Fuel tank is located beneath the front left seat, other nano owners please correct if i am wrong.

It does not make any difference since you yourself dont have to get down to open the bonnet neither do you have to remove the keys to do it.

Also this is to save costs , whats wrong socially if you fill petrol from front?

Nano has not lived up to its potential is true , but that has nothing to do with the product itself IMO, it because of other reasons which you can find in GTO 2012 car review.

TATA launching a 800cc nano is not a bad idea at all, if they sell it alongside existing one and for a premium of 50000K, they can live up to those who feel Nano is Non-stream.They can try to get it close to main stream products by putting features like rear hatch, 4 bolt wheels, external fuel filler, rear Power windows, lockable dash etc.

Last edited by silverado : 2nd March 2012 at 08:40.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:11   #21
BHPian

IMO, 3 cylinder is welcome move. My B-I-L owns a nano CX and more than half of people, when saw the car first time, commented on exhaust note. I am sure TATA has got the message and hence 3 pot engine. It will make this car less alien to buyers.

Also 800 cc Nano will be more highway friendly.

Last edited by indianvirus : 2nd March 2012 at 12:19.
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Fuel tank is located beneath the front left seat, other nano owners please correct if i am wrong.

It does not make any difference since you yourself dont have to get down to open the bonnet neither do you have to remove the keys to do it.

Also this is to save costs , whats wrong socially if you fill petrol from front?
Rationally speaking, there is nothing wrong. But the way consumers connect with a product is not always through rational thinking. Most of the target buyers (according to the original idea/vision Mr.Ratan Tata had) may not think all that rationally like T-Bhpians (when it comes to cars). Anything that is radically different (without reasons obvious to them) will not be received well. Again, it is not just about the way petrol is filled but many such things which can be seen a quirky.
Honda City has the petrol tank under the driver's seat. Technically, it must have been easier/economical to provide a fuel lid somewhere in the front but such radical changes cannot be just engineering decisions.
IMO, Nano is a aspirational product for many who want to buy their first car. Closer it is to a regular main-stream car, it is better.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:15   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just look at the latest sales numbers of Nano 2012 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-analysis.html with Nano 2012 selling over 9000 units. That is a very respectable number by any length. However with this new plan for a bigger petrol heart, there may be a confusion in the minds of the potential buyer to make that buy decision - 'why are they upgrading the engine, is it because of lack of power' etc. IMO TATA should have both the versions selling side by side and this may be a school of thought in their mind as well to capture a larger set of buyers longing for a conventional car. All the present variants plus the Nano 800. The other features and characteristic that would make people go for the power packed variant can be closer to the normal cars -

1. The 3 pot would be more powerful and refined and would solve the rikshaw noise that is a turn off for many new buyers
2. Have a openable hatch which could be in the style of Brio with the rear glass opening up and have split and foldable seats
3. Address the brakes performance with discs and boosters to handle the extra power and power steering to take care of the extra weight
4. Have standard set of tyres both front and back albeit bigger in size to handle higher speeds
5. Brand the Nano 800 differently aka Vista / Manza to differentiate it with the other spec.

The buyer should be given a choice to buy variants of the current Nano and the new one as well. The current one will play on the price point as a cheap city runabout where as the other will provide a competent alternative to the likes of Eon / Alto / Spark which constitute a whopping market of over 45,000 units per month!
Old 2nd March 2012, 13:26   #24
BHPian

I don't think going the diesel way is the right solution. Imagine how the refinement levels would be (for a diesel vehicle that is), on a car that is built on a budget? What about containing the vibration and noise levels? use better materials? then what about the additional cost? and add the proposed tax on diesel vehicles (variable/fixed, whatever the govt is going to announce in this year's budget..), all these will only make the Nano a much slow seller than it is today.

IMO, TATA should take further steps to move the Nano away from its 'cheap' car image and strengthen marketing activities on the Nano's core abilities. Provide exclusive Nano service points and along with the proposed three pot engine, induce more affordable technology (exactly like what BAJAJ does!) into the powerplant to make it more fuel efficient and fun to drive.

Last edited by vinair : 2nd March 2012 at 13:28.
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:30   #25
BHPian

I love the Nano. Real good space. peppy to drive. I would love to own one provided they give a automatic transmission, the fuel type would not matter and mileage of about 12 would make me very happy.
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nano is a aspirational product for many who want to buy their first car. Closer it is to a regular main-stream car, it is better.

I think its in the Aspiration area where NANO failed to make its mark.
To be very frank, i never aspired to buy Nano, i bought since it was VFM.

I aspire to buy a PUNTO though
Old 5th March 2012, 15:10   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Agree 100%. They already have one customer 'me' waiting for that to happen and would be the first to book it. I am sure there are many others.

I hope to read some good news after the budget on this front.
Me too and nothing like if it can come with an AT option. A good choice for homemakers.
Old 6th March 2012, 18:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Here's some update on the Nano upgrades.

"Tata Group head Ratan Tata today said he has set higher ambitions for the Nano car which will be available in more variants, including diesel and electric versions.
Nano which has a 624 cc petrol engine will also be upgraded in power, he said."

Source - Nano to be upgraded in power, have more variants: Ratan Tata - The Economic Times
Old 4th September 2012, 18:24   #29
BHPian

Hey there,

Just want to share something with you guys. Production of 3 cylinder petrol engine is about to be started. Currently changes are being done to production lines to accommodate the extra cylinder.

The engine capacity may not increase much, since current nano is not that under-powered and fuel costs have increased, so they would try to get best efficiency, keeping power almost same.

Cheers..
indianvirus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:57   #30
BHPian

Yea it is indeed very true! The Mule engine blocks are ready. They'll now test them. And yea, first lot of black color of the nano has also begun.
Naparajito is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks