Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 19:40   #31
BHPian

Re: 3 Cylinder Nano on the cards

Good to know about the 3cylinder engine progress!

It is not clear whether the engine is already tested and production is about to start or It is just ready for Nano Test Mules? Please update.

I have attached New Nano Test Mules being tested at Coimbatore Jeyam Auto. Source: Motor Vikatan

Changes i could observe:

1. New rear and front bumpers
2. Bonnet doesn't have the sharp grease at the center, It is flat like Nano Europa and looks good.
3. New LED Fog Lamps
4. New Alloy wheel
5. Roof is black

Experts please flash some light.
Attached Thumbnails
3 Cylinder Nano on the cards-new_nano.jpg  

Old 4th September 2012, 20:02   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post
Hey there,

Just want to share something with you guys. Production of 3 cylinder petrol engine is about to be started. Currently changes are being done to production lines to accommodate the extra cylinder.

The engine capacity may not increase much, since current nano is not that under-powered and fuel costs have increased, so they would try to get best efficiency, keeping power almost same.

Cheers..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naparajito View Post
Yea it is indeed very true! The Mule engine blocks are ready. They'll now test them. And yea, first lot of black color of the nano has also begun.
I find both updates contradicting each other. @indianvirus says production of the 3 cyl engine is about to be started , whereas @Naparajito says Mule engine blocks are ready.

Or should we combine both messages i.e. test mules for the first lot of engines out of the production lines are ready ??
Old 4th September 2012, 20:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any insider information from ARAI?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 5th September 2012, 00:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post
Good to know about the 3cylinder engine progress!

I have attached New Nano Test Mules being tested at Coimbatore Jeyam Auto. Source: Motor Vikatan

1. New rear and front bumpers
2. Bonnet doesn't have the sharp grease at the center, It is flat like Nano Europa and looks good.
3. New LED Fog Lamps
4. New Alloy wheel
5. Roof is black

Experts please flash some light.
I doubt this to be a 3 cylinder nano.
If it was they would have Camouflaged the bumpers.
LED, black roof in a production car - Atleast i dont think TATA will do it.

This IMO looks to be a Smartly modified Nano LX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianvirus View Post

The engine capacity may not increase much
Engine capacity surely will increase, Mr TATA himself has quoted it could be as high as 60 bhp
Old 5th September 2012, 11:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyBear View Post

I think this is more of a "one-off" build by Jayem to showcase their engineering prowess.
It can even be that they have been commissioned by TML for a special one off Nano project - very much on the lines of the Indica Silhouette Concept (remember , the rear engined, 300-odd bhp track car garbed in the clothes of the Indica V2).

If you look closely, at this particular Nano example, apart from the obvious change in aesthetics, the ride height of the car is also lower. I think this is a "one-off" assignment to see how much power the Nano chassis can withstand - and i am sure it will be a fair bit considering the robustness of the Nano chassis.
This can actually turn out to be a good "halo car" for TML. Maybe a limited run of 500 examples , each signed by Ratan Tata himself??

As for the 3-cylinder Nano, i don't think there will be substantial changes (outwardly). Maybe it will be closer to the Violet coloured nano concept that TML displayed at the Delhi Auto Expo in Jan-12. That had 165 rear tyres, 145 fronts, disc brakes in front, lidded gloveboxes on both sides of the dash and a very useful "start-stop" button on the right side of the dash.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:41   #36
Senior - BHPian

I think the reasons for the 3 cylinder has very little to do with Indian market conditions.

Tata has to get the 3 cylinder ready for export markets, and as always, this is being crowdsourced to the suckers that are the indian buying public. And since most of the nanos being bought in india are the top end model, the market segment seems to be rather price inelastic, so they might as well rationalize their product lines towards 3 cylinders for some or all variants.

Last edited by greenhorn : 5th September 2012 at 11:43.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
As for the 3-cylinder Nano, i don't think there will be substantial changes (outwardly). Maybe it will be closer to the Violet coloured nano concept that TML displayed at the Delhi Auto Expo in Jan-12. That had 165 rear tyres, 145 fronts, disc brakes in front, lidded gloveboxes on both sides of the dash and a very useful "start-stop" button on the right side of the dash.
I think these improvements, along with the three cylinder engine would do a world of good to the Nano. I am sure the Nano with a thre cylinder engine would be silent, powerful and more fun to drive. It'll be a great fun car on the a budget!
Old 5th September 2012, 18:51   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I find both updates contradicting each other. @indianvirus says production of the 3 cyl engine is about to be started , whereas @Naparajito says Mule engine blocks are ready.

Or should we combine both messages i.e. test mules for the first lot of engines out of the production lines are ready ??
See daily the production of the cars is around 250-300. And there are 16000 Nano's lying in their yard. They have just started the production of the engines of the test mules. I've personally seen the CNG vehicles inside the factory. If someone doesn't tell you, i bet no one can notice the difference.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:57   #39
BHPian

The nano, posted here, seems modified nano and not actual test car.

Regarding 3 cylinder engine, consider this, will you make changes or modification to your production line for test mule engines?

One of my close relative is working at Sanand plant, as we speak, setting up new fixture for crack shaft (which is longer now due to third cylinder) end machining and center drilling. He even said 3 cylinder nano will have new color (purple), and he also confirms CNG and automatic nano.

Cheers...
indianvirus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 16:19   #40
BHPian

New versions of Nano coming up:

Nano 2013
Nano CNG
Nano 3 Cyl (998cc)
Nano Diesel
Nano LHD (left hand drive)
Old 12th October 2012, 18:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn658276 View Post

Nano 2013
Nano CNG
Nano 3 Cyl (998cc)
Nano Diesel
Any clue on the updates to Nano 2013 as compared to 2012 ?
Old 12th October 2012, 18:32   #42
BHPian

Tata should focus on giving the current Nano 4 things listed below rather than increasing the engine size.
1. Power steering.
2. A boot that opens from the back.
3. A battery that is not inside the cabin.
4. Cabin can be insulated further for sound dampening.
Old 12th October 2012, 19:31   #43
BHPian

If you ask me, this is what they should do:
  1. Strike a deal with Chevy & put that Beat's 3 cyl Diesel engine into the Nano.
  2. Put Medium/Heavy Insulation in the Cabin.
  3. Spruce up the interiors.
  4. put a boot door.
  5. 60:40 split rear seat.
  6. Price it at around the Alto K10.
  7. See it fly off the shelves. Heck, I would buy one to use as the fuel efficient workhorse.
Old 12th October 2012, 20:06   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Based on some report I read, TATA wants to get rid of the "cheap" car image that Nano is tagged with. And this is the main reason why they have come up with the 3 cylinder motor.
So they want to deviate from the very essence of a Nano. A cheap car which the guy riding a scooter may be able to afford? I think they are bonlers if this is their aim

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Tata should focus on giving the current Nano 4 things listed below rather than increasing the engine size.
1. Power steering.
2. A boot that opens from the back.
3. A battery that is not inside the cabin.
4. Cabin can be insulated further for sound dampening.
Yes i agree absolutely. Add to the Power steering, an Automatic version which will make Nano a killer option. Imagine a car as small as a Nano, having more space than an Alto/Santro, having power steering and an automatic transmission (CVT is recommended) i think then the Nano would be unbeatable. I am waiting for the power steering and auto version if that happens. At least power steering without which i am not touching any new car.
Insulation i believe can be upped by adding NVH dampners lke a Dynamatt?

I just love the concept of driving a Nano (Pwr Steering + Auto) in the crowded rush heavy traffic streets of Mumbai and having no driver fatigue....well comparatively less driver fatigue at least.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 00:32   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn658276 View Post

Nano 2013
Nano CNG
Nano 3 Cyl (998cc)
Nano Diesel
But when is the 3 Cyl Nano expected? Is it gonna be a 998CC or 800CC? Some reports before mentioned a 800CC engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks