Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 11:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

3 Cylinder Nano on the cards

- Nano to get 3 Cylinder petrol engine
- Power to be between 60 - 80 Bhp
- Larger wheel and tyres.

Could this be the Pixel? Or the Dolphin project?

Source - Tata confirms 3-cyl Nano for India - News - Autocar India

A related report on ET says the launch date would be early next year.

Source - Tata Motors' Nano to move a step above ultra low-cost segment with 800cc engine - The Economic Times

ET report also talks about the diesel Nano and I quote,
Quote:
The diesel engine, which will be close to 1,000cc, has been tested by Jaguar Land Rover, Tata Motors' premium auto operations in the UK, said those aware of the procedure. While trial runs for the two-cylinder diesel engine have begun, the company has yet to fix a launch date.

The two people aware of the launch plans added that Tata Motors will wait to see what the Union Budget has in store for diesel-powered cars before taking any decision.

Last edited by safari_lover : 1st March 2012 at 11:16.
Old 1st March 2012, 11:29   #2
BHPian

Re: 3 Cylinder Nano on the cards

Good news. But they should think about launching diesel powerplant which seems to be a real miss for its sales.
ameaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 11:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Power to be between 60 - 80 Bhp
What? 80BHP in a Nano? Are they joking? They wanted to keep Nano on-road or trying to make it fly?
Old 1st March 2012, 11:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

They will probably do what they did with Aria. Launch a fully loaded, EuroNCAP crash-test eligible Aria in India. Let the buyers use the car for a few months/years and complain about the niggles. Get their feedback and go back to the drawing board and improve the product. Then launch it in Europe!

Tata has plans for suitable version of Nano for Euro market anyway, which can possibly compete against Up! or Citigo (considering that these also will come with 3 cylinder engines).

Last edited by rohanjf : 1st March 2012 at 11:43.
Old 1st March 2012, 12:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Oh no! I read this news for the first time when my Nano was delivered Should I cry or should I be happy? well, I choose the later, I can always pimp it up!

Last edited by amtak : 1st March 2012 at 12:39.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:58   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tata has a problem in the left hand, and is instead applying band-aid to the right.

The engine is NOT an issue at all with the current Nano; it's got sufficient pep till 100 kph which serves the need of 99% of entry-level car owners (existing & potential). In fact, every ownership review speaks highly of the power on tap for city use.

What Tata really needs is NOT a bigger petrol engine, but a highly fuel-efficient diesel. It could be a great differentiator in the entry-level segment (the 800, Alto and Santro are petrol-only cars) and also set a new record for fuel-efficiency (considering the Nano's light weight & conservative power demand).

A bigger petrol will only take the pricing closer to the "proper" cars such as the Maruti 800, Alto and Hyundai Santro. A difference of Rs. 50,000 between the Nano and a "proper" car doesn't count in today's EMI driven world. Heck, it makes no difference at all if sales numbers are anything to go by.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 15:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Other day when I had gone to fill petrol, i saw a Nano getting refueled, and for the first time I came to know that one needs to open the bonnet to fill petrol! Not only it is little weird but I was also wondering if the petrol tank is under the bonnet and how potentially dangerous it could be in a case of a collision.
Car (or any product) is partly functional product but many social aspects/perceptions influence buying decisions.
Like GTO pointed, probably it needs a diesel (+AT), but I feel the car needs to be reworked in many areas to make the buyer feel that he is not buying a compromised, non-stream and cheap product. They need to make it more inspirational. The outside styling itself is very good, but many other areas leave a lot to be desired.
Old 1st March 2012, 16:14   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Other day when I had gone to fill petrol, i saw a Nano getting refueled, and for the first time I came to know that one needs to open the bonnet to fill petrol! Not only it is little weird but I was also wondering if the petrol tank is under the bonnet and how potentially dangerous it could be in a case of a collision.
Car (or any product) is partly functional product but many social aspects/perceptions influence buying decisions.
Like GTO pointed, probably it needs a diesel (+AT), but I feel the car needs to be reworked in many areas to make the buyer feel that he is not buying a compromised, non-stream and cheap product. They need to make it more inspirational. The outside styling itself is very good, but many other areas leave a lot to be desired.
FYI Fuel tank is not positioned in the front. i bought a 2012 nano 3 months back and i am enjoying it extremely. Super quick in traffic and gives me a 20 kmpl with full time ac (who needs a diesel ?). It has the best in class fuel efficiency and has the more room than 800 / alto / spark. If you pit the NANO LX with 800 / spark /alto . It beats them hands down on many counts such as price, ground clearance, cabin space, features, fuel efficiency etc.

Don`t generalize by saying its compromised, non-stream and cheap. Manufacturers has to take the product through series of test and comply with all safety and other government norms.

Instead, i suggest you first read GTO's review of the 2012 TATA NANO before commenting anything.

Last edited by GTO : 8th March 2012 at 16:35. Reason: STRICTLY no SMS language on this forum please. Thru = Through
Abbas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 16:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
FYI Fuel tank is not positioned in the front.
Instead, i suggest you first read GTO's review of the 2012 TATA NANO before commenting anything.
Probably you have not understood my point. I was not saying that it has the tank in the front, but that is the kind of perceptions certain non-conventional design can lead to. If they make the fuel opening in the rear, it will be so much more 'socially acceptable'.
We are talking about why a product like this has not lived up to it's potential (if a Alto can sell in 25000 numbers/month, Nano has to sell at least as many if not more).
Old 1st March 2012, 16:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would rather give Nano an extra silencer to kill that Auto-Rickshaw sound.
Otherwise Nano is a very good city runabout.
download2live is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 16:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

What Tata really needs is NOT a bigger petrol engine, but a highly fuel-efficient diesel.
Agree 100%. They already have one customer 'me' waiting for that to happen and would be the first to book it. I am sure there are many others.

I hope to read some good news after the budget on this front.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:01   #12
Team-BHP Support

The purpose of Nano is to fulfil the average Indian's need for a car to transport his family of 4. Now, the present Nano does that just fine.

How does a 3-cylinder engine make Nano a better proposition for the "average India" - the intended customer?

Also, wouldn't a 3-pot engine raise the cost further? What about the price advantage Nano has against the big-selling Alto/Santro then?

A diesel? Sure! But again, price versus Alto/Santro?

Quote:
If they make the fuel opening in the rear, it will be so much more 'socially acceptable'.
Huh?! Seriously? I wonder if anyone has issues over how his image is perceived if fuel in his car is filled in the front.

Owners of the Nano are hardly perceived as those going in for something cheap. It is more of a novelty.

Quote:
We are talking about why a product like this has not lived up to it's potential (if a Alto can sell in 25000 numbers/month, Nano has to sell at least as many if not more).
That has as much to do with advertising, negative reports during the nano-catching-fire episodes, financing options earlier as the inadequecies in the overal car itself.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:02   #13
BANNED

I didn't like the NANO because of its shape. . Rest everything was very much ok for me.

Can TATA relaunch the present nano with TATA PIXEL body ? (with a 2/4 door, no scissor doors please) i ll buy it any day.

Last edited by wildon : 1st March 2012 at 17:08. Reason: word added
Old 1st March 2012, 17:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

3 cylinder engine for the Nano is nothing new since that's what the Europa model was supposed to have. The additional cylinder will make the engine a 1 litre unit. Europa has a longer wheelbase, wider track and bigger 4-nut wheels, among other improvements.
Old 1st March 2012, 17:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Its because, "First impression is the last impression" syndrome.

Firstly, the first lot of 1 lakh customers were computer selected. Hence, people found it hard to get thier hands on one.

Secondly, Their WB plant had to shifted to GUJ which resulted in a high demand and short supply situation.

Thirdly, Few nano caught fire due to god knows what . Plus media hyped it too much.

Fourthy, Since they were overbooked, they did`nt feel the need to market it.

Now, after 2 years, all the teething issues has been resolved and marketing is going full swing. Infact they are giving hugh discount to clear 2011 stock.

Its difficult to change a common man`s perception. But an informed buyer will do a proper comparo and give the vote in favour of NANO.

Check the numbers now (and its rising) , you will definitely see the change.
Abbas is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks