Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2012, 12:03   #136
BHPian

Re: March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Surprised to see this article from the Times group (of all). Not to sound pessimistic, but looks like for now VW will be following the 2-model ONLY strategy like Fiat.

Volkswagen may still struggle to compete with fierce price-warriors like Hyundai & Maruti Suzuki - The Economic Times
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Its an empty article by somebody who understands little about the auto industry!! Not surprising since its from the Times Group, they even had the audacity to claim that VWs earlier success was due to ads in the Times of India, no less!!!

The so called 'journalist' compares how Hyundai is doing better since he/she saw more people in their showroom, a place where they also sell Santros, i10, eons etc...compared to VWs most basic car being a Polo!! Of course they will have more walk ins.

There must be some regulator in India to keep a check on the absolute gob$hite the Times group makes up on a daily basis!!
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:25   #138
BHPian

I agree with shortbread. VW is a mid-level brand, unlike Maruti and Hyundai which are economy brands. You cannot compare the crowd and number of unit sales at Sultan Bazaar, Hyderabad, with the buyers and unit sales at stores in Banjara Hills to say that the stores in Sultan Bazaar do better. They might, but it doesn't make mathematical sense to simply say that it is because their unit sales are higher. It takes a journalist who is aware of finance as a discipline to be able to make statements about the companies and, no offence intended, but the journalist does not demonstrate any knowledge of finance in the article. He/she could re-write the article to sound more knowledgeable but with that specific article, he/she doesn't sound like a credible source.
Old 1st May 2012, 14:36   #139
Senior - BHPian

April-12 figures have been released by Maruti & Toyota, both registering growth over last year (3% & 49%, respectively). Here, are ET's articles on the same:

Maruti Suzuki India's sales up 3% in April - The Economic Times

Toyota Kirloskar sales up 49% - The Economic Times

Other companies' sales figures aren't available yet.
Old 1st May 2012, 15:00   #140
BHPian

Ertiga sales in Apr over 5K (Ertiga+GV+Gypsy) is 5593. A great Start for Ertiga. I guess it should stabilise around 4k-5K based on capacity every month. This is still less than what Innova sells.

SX4 sales already impacted by Ertiga I guess as sales down to 634 from 2.1k last April. Maybe Maruti is de prioritising SX4 to meet Ertiga Demand since they have limited Diesel engine capacity.

Source: Maruti Suzuki Sales in April 2012

Tata Motors sales down 7% including exports. Passenger car sales dropped 7% to 22658 down from 23387 last year.

Source: Tata Motors sales down 7% in April - The Economic Times

General Motors reports a drop of 20.3% over last April.

Source: General Motors India sales down 20.34 per cent - The Economic Times

Last edited by nurni76 : 1st May 2012 at 15:21.
Old 1st May 2012, 15:27   #141
Senior - BHPian

April-12 figures from Yamaha & M&M are as under:

India Yamaha Motor sales up 6% in April - The Times of India

M&M April sales up 27 pc | Deccan Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
Ertiga sales in Apr over 5K (Ertiga+GV+Gypsy) is 5593. A great Start for Ertiga. I guess it should stabilise around 4k-5K based on capacity every month. This is still less than what Innova sells.

SX4 sales already impacted by Ertiga I guess as sales down to 634 from 2.1k last April. Maybe Maruti is de prioritising SX4 to meet Ertiga Demand since they have limited Diesel engine capacity.
Ertiga is the first vehicle in the price range where MS has tasted blood, & I believe that these are already flying off shelves. Poor SX4 is suffering because of better sibling & probably because of new Dzire so some extent.

Mods : Please merge this post with the previous one.

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st May 2012 at 17:03. Reason: Merged on request
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks