Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:06   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTE : Only cars that sell over 500 units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

A big shout-out to Jalsa777 for preparing the beautiful charts & graphs!
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:11   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: March 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Movers & Shakers

• If February was good, March was a blockbuster! This, dudes & gals, has been the best month in the history of the Indian automotive industry. March, being the financial year end, is usually the best month of the year, thanks to companies booking cars for full depreciation benefits. Another (strictly temporary) stimulus was the Budget '12 and the resultant hike in excise duties across the board. It appears that everyone was scampering to buy a car at the old rate. A good number of manufacturers have recorded their best month in history, starting with Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra, Toyota, Nissan, VW etc. It must be noted that Ford, Fiat & HM are the only three manufacturers to have lost out in the year-on-year tables.

• Hatchbacks, expectedly, dominate our market. There are a mere 3 sedans in the top 10. Interestingly, UVs (SUVs & MUVs combined) might soon overtake sedans in terms of market capture. The current difference in volume is a mere 3%. Expect that to change once the mini-UVs (Maruti Ertiga, shortened Mahindra Xylo, Ford Eco-Sport, Renault Duster and gang) are launched.

• That said, thanks to stellar-performers like the Dzire, Indigo, Etios & Sunny, the C1 sedan segment might soon overtake B1 hatchbacks (WagonR, Indica, Beat & Santro). That’s saying a lot! Even the C2 segment (City, Verna, Vento, Rapid etc.) is at nearly double the level of where it was in April 2011. A segment that hasn’t really kept up with the overall market spike is the D2 (Superb, Accord etc.); this category has pretty much stayed flat all through. On the other hand, the A segment is seeing a phenomenal spike over the last 2 quarters, thanks to strong innings by the Alto, Eon & Nano.

• Maruti dominates the podium again, with the Alto, Swift & Dzire filling up the Top 3 positions. Then, there’s the petrol-only WagonR delivering yet another solid run. Enhanced production capacity has definitely helped the Swift & Dzire; let’s wait & watch if the two can maintain this unbelievable momentum after the bookings backlog has cleared. Ertiga shipments have commenced. Watch out for a Team-BHP review of this unique 7-seater soon.

• With the kind of brand & distribution they enjoy, the SX4, A-Star, Estilo & Kizashi are absolute laggards. Whatever numbers they are managing is only due to Maruti’s network…if it were any other manufacturer backing them, these automobiles would have been written off.

• The Eon records another month as the best selling Hyundai in India, and at rank no.5 overall in the Indian scene. It’s a far superior car to the Alto, while the recent shuffling of variants will only see it gain further traction. The i10 fails to capitalize on overall market growth (though sales are still respectable). The Verna remains the best selling C2 segment sedan, while the premium i20 returns yet another healthy report card.

• Tata is giving a tough fight to Hyundai for position no.2. They have 3 products in the Top 10. And of that, the li’l Nano overtakes the Hyundai i10! For each of the last 6 months, the Nano has been going from strength to strength. Speaking of which, and heavy discounts notwithstanding, the Indica / Vista sisters are on a roll. They’ve managed over 10K sales for 5 of the last 6 months. The Sumo Gold was recently launched at a mouthwatering 5.4 lakh rupee price tag…there isn’t a doubt that this VFM variant has helped the UV put in its best month ever.

• What is Tata doing with the Aria? How long before it actually goes through a price cut? Why is Tata letting this competent + overpriced product languish in the premium UV space? Get REAL, Tata!

• The Bolero appears to have been inspired by Sebastian Vettel of 2011. Just when you thought you’ve seen it all, they come back with another punch. A UV crossing the hallowed 10,000 unit mark? Yep (*picks up lower jaw from the floor*). XUV500? That’s another superstar, as we’d predicted in the Team-BHP Official Review. This Mahindra remains the only premium UV to sell over 3,000 examples. And I have a feeling it’s not done yet. While Maruti, Hyundai & Tata have all failed in the 10+ lakh segment, it’s Mahindra who has shown them the way. Who would have thought our jugaad-expert would ever pull off such a feat??!!

• The Innova is at an all-time high with a 53% year on year gain; the facelift appears to have worked its magic, with the UV recording its 3rd 6,000-level month in a row. The Etios, Liva & Fortuner must also keep Toyota’s management in high spirit. On the flip side, the Corolla’s market performance is rather complacent.

• From an over-priced competent Jazz to a well-priced competent Brio, Honda’s strategy has taken a 180-degree turn. Once bitten, twice shy I guess. With parts & supplies now coming in from Thailand, the Brio emerges as Honda’s bestselling car ever, recording a whopping 6,355 shipments. The City does respectfully well at the 4k mark, though all other Hondas (Accord, CRV, Civic & Jazz) are royal D-U-D-S. Recently heard that Honda is restricting Jazz volumes because there's no money to be made at the new, slashed price.

• The Beat continues to fire away on all 3 (diesel) cylinders. I’m especially pleased to see the cheap, competent Spark climb up the ladder. Looks like Chevy has finally woken up to the Spark’s marketing needs, after dishing it months of step-motherly treatment. Decent run by the Cruze, while the Tavera crosses the 2,000 level after a long time. Reason? The new diesel engine that allows it to be sold in the BSIV emission metros.

• It’s status quo at Ford with no real news worth talking about. Quite a roller-coaster ride the last 2 years have been for this American giant. Other than the Figo's superb run, no much to write home about.

• VW will be pleased with the Polo & Vento, both, nudging the 4,000 mark. There isn’t a doubt that the Vento’s long-awaited middle trim level has helped it gain some ground in the marketplace.

• Say hello to the new Japanese rockstar, the Nissan Sunny! Power from the workhorse Renault 1.5L diesel engine has helped it sell over 4,100 copies. I bet even Nissan didn’t expect such wide acceptance of the caaaaaaaaaaaar. In a week of ownership, I can tell you that it’s one heck of an all-rounder sedan (ownership report coming up soon). Meanwhile, the Micra put in a rather shoddy performance with basically the same platform, engine, marketing, dealer network & substantially cheaper price. Well, the Micra does have more formidable competition too.

• The Rapid (especially), Superb & Laura bring home good news for Skoda, not surprising as they offer a superior value proposition to their respective VW siblings. On the flip side, the Yeti & Fabia lead to tears. Yet again.

• Bringing up the rear are Fiat, Renault, HM-Mitsubishi & Volvo. The only noteworthy point is that the Fluence gets some beef from the reshuffling of variants & heavy discounting. The good news? One lucky dude drove a Volvo S60 T6 AWD home . He might be grinning on a lone highway as I type this, petrol prices be damned.

Last edited by GTO : 9th April 2012 at 19:56. Reason: Correction
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:11   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:11   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:48   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:04   #7
BHPian

As always, a very good analysis..
1. I expected eON to cut into Alto's space much more than what it did.. Disappointing to see the Hyundai didn't quite get it.. Some of the feedback I hear from my friends also suggest that eON might just stay at these levels..
2. Despite a flat Y-O-Y growth, Maruti's sales trend seems impressive (I thought the the spike in one month was related to the strike and reopening of plant etc.. but the trend seems to continue)
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:04   #8
BHPian

Just when I was thinking of the March 2012 sales figures, I see the thread is up! Thanks GTO for the compilation and all others who have yet again put in the efforts!

Ertiga review! Sounds intresting! Waiting for it eagerly!
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Finally the figures are here. Great work jalsa and rush!

The sales are as expected, with the parent (Fiat) been sidelined just for serving Italian coffees to customers at Maruti and Tata showrooms. I still don't know whats wrong with them despite having two competent well rounded cars and increased promotion in their lineup. They are coming up with new showrooms and we do see improved customer service in the ownership reports...but a sales decrease is surprising.

Not surprised at the sunny's sales. All the comfort, features and roundedness of an upper C segment car at a lower C segment price. This car is a blockbuster in punjab, after the fluidic verna. Hoping to see some sales increase for the B299 after the price cut. Micra sales have slumped, but the less said about the pulse...the better.

Honda's strategy appears confused with the jazz. Whether they are really interested, or deliberately limiting supply due to thin margins after the price cut (this thing was reported at ACI March issue).

Last edited by sidindica : 3rd April 2012 at 20:08.
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:11   #10
Team-BHP Support

@GTO:

Awesome - the charts are great but love your few para summaries the best as always. Forgive the anxiousness but I just can't wait for two new threads: the Ertiga official review and your Sunny ownership review. Do you think you could give a bit of a teaser on when we can expect these two reviews (ballpark). Then I can stop refreshing my "New Topics" link every 45 seconds. :-)
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Great compilation GTO & Jalsa as always, kudos to both of you. The power of you two is beyond just a simple 1+1. Keep it up. This month it had been a long wait.

I am really stumped by the mind boggling figures each major car manufacturer has managed to garner this month. I was thinking that this would be a sober month, given that Feb'12 was a bumper month, but I was totally wrong. So is the Indian auto scene back to its boom times?

Last edited by AutoIndian : 3rd April 2012 at 20:33.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

It's good too see Nano chalk up impressive numbers. Always felt it was a great entry option. I get a feeling the numbers are here to stay.
Also not surprised by the strong showing by Nissan Sunny. It's a real value for money proposition.
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The paycheck has arrived ,err i meant the highly awaited and anticipated sales figure is here.Kudos to Jalsa and GTO.Great work guys.
Looking at the trends,a few things i felt was that Eon is doing good,could be due to introduction of variants with lower price tag as i have seen quite a lot of them with those puny 12inch wheels.
Alto is a superstar,no doubts about it.But Swift and Dzire have just set the sales chart on fire.WagonR is a very capable car,i wonder when can we see it in diesel avatar!And i feel happy for Ritz selling more than i20(no offence to i20 owners).i20 will hit back with the facelifted version.
Somehow the Nano 2012 looks and sounds better than the earlier one.The sales also tell the same story.But what about Aria?Can it officially be called a dud?
Bolero is butchering the competition(Sumo) and so is XUV(Fortuner,Aria and Safari and likes).I was wondering if they will launch XUV anytime in near future at other places also considering the demand it has.
Brio is another car to watchout for.Agreed that Beat is selling due to its diesel heart but how about others?
Overall a fantastic work by the team as always.

P.S. Awaiting the review of Ertiga and an ownership report of Caaaaaar!
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great analysis as always GTO and team.

Superb really seems a value proposition which seems evident in its nearly doubling its numbers (181 to 349). I will bet more than half of these were the value loaded Petrol versions. In fact it sold more than the Jetta which was surprising. Pre-budget price effect perhaps. Now only if Skoda could streamline its service woes.

The Etios/Liva twins also raked up 9K figures which are on my predicted lines. They present good value proposition for quality equipment. Six monthly high figures for Fortuner/Innova twins are no surprise either. Corolla holds its ground amongst serious competition.

Ford seems to be loosing steam and a paltry 16 figure for the Endeavour is as good as a brand killed. Only Figo raked some moolah to save the company.

Cruze surprised at 722 but the Captiva is going nowhere.

Pajero Sports seems to have eaten into the Pajero (Classic) pie. For this month at least.

The Nissan Sunny will work because it looks a car one segment above what it is priced.

But the real show stealer was Maruti. Its Alto/Swift juggernaut steam rolled all.

Last edited by dkaile : 3rd April 2012 at 20:33.
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Great analysis as expected. Thanks to price hike news i saw many people from swift queue decided to buy whoever that has a stock of diesel car

Wondering why figo is taking beating month after another. Agreed its built for a price, but it is one of the most VFM cars available.
Even till the last day dealers had ready stock
Closed Thread

Most Viewed