Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2012, 19:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Online Driving Test (in English & Marathi). Try it, and educate yourself on the r

I got passed and secured 80% in first attempt itself Online Driving Test (in English & Marathi). Try it, and educate yourself on the rules-driving-test.png

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2012, 21:15   #17
BHPian

Re: Online Driving Test (in English & Marathi). Try it, and educate yourself on the r

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety4all View Post
Hand signal should invariably be given by Right Hand only.
(how would one give a hand signal if driving a car and desires to turn left?)
True, but the question was specific to motorcycles and I have seen riders signalling with the left hand while throttling. If u ask me, I'd take signaling from any hand considering that a majority of motorcycle riders never signal.
Old 15th April 2012, 01:04   #18
BHPian

Got 9 out of 10 questions correct. Got stumped by the question "Which section of the MV act mandates carrying a DL during driving" - Who cares which section it is - All I know is that I have to carry my DL when I drive. Dumb question in my opinion.
Old 15th April 2012, 14:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

Passed on 1st attempt with 100% score. Nice test indeed.

Will pass this on to my daughter who is going for her DL soon.

http://vzturl.com/ez32
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 14:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

I got 100% most of the times. But I got the correct answer about MV act only by trial and error. Why would I bother about it anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety4all View Post
(how would one give a hand signal if driving a car and desires to turn left?)
Simple. Stretch your right hand, extend your index finger and point it down, fold the other fingers and then keep turning the wrist anticlockwise 3 times at least.

And now a days, pray that there is no biker on your left blind side, trying to go straight from your left.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 15:45   #21
Zed
BHPian

These are the kind of steps that we need from the authorities to improve the traffic situation. A round of applause to the folks behind this initiative, to BHP-ians for taking the test and recommending it to their loved ones and for Jalsa for starting this thread.

The impact could be maximized if...

1. This is a national initiative coordinated across states rather than regional RTOs acting independently.

2. This test is preceded by a compulsory training program - and this is where the question of professional trainers, discussed repeatedly in this forum, comes into play - which is standardized to the extent possible (content, costs) and customized to the extent necessary (regional translation, subsidised costs for the less privileged).

3. There is a comprehensive version of the test prior to the issue of the final DL, the scores of which along with the practical test, will be the sole consideration for a driving license being granted.

4. There is a parallel process for Commercial vehicle drivers

The test results and the discussions in this thread (mistakes in the answer code apart) are clear indicators of the fact that most 'good' drivers on this forum have different interpretations of what the correct course of action ought to be in traffic situations that are encountered on a daily basis. This points in the direction of the need for a standardized training process. There is probably a 'rule book' already in existence but unless these rules are taught with their intent and significance to next generation of road users most would soon forgot these as soon as they get their license.
Zed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2012, 16:01   #22
BHPian

I scored decent 90% in first attempt but must say quite a good initiative
Attached Thumbnails
Online Driving Test (in English & Marathi). Try it, and educate yourself on the rules-online-score.jpg  

Old 15th April 2012, 18:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

A good initiative. I also wish they make these things a part of our school curriculum, so that our children learn these things at an early age. That would also help them to admonish or correct their parents when they make mistakes and also help them to be knowledgeable and polite drivers once they start driving.

And in my opinion the questions should be divided into two categories. One category for the rules that one should compulsorily know and the other category for the rules/signs that warn people, the knowledge of which would be good but not essential. I think people should score 100% in the first category and every one should be asked all the questions that are under that category.

I believe Kerala already has computerized learner's license test. But I do not think they are available online for people to test themselves.
pjbiju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 10:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
A good initiative. I also wish they make these things a part of our school curriculum, so that our children learn these things at an early age. That would also help them to admonish or correct their parents when they make mistakes and also help them to be knowledgeable and polite drivers once they start driving.
Adding to that point. I believe that even pedestrians should be taught about the rules relevant to them and and the dangers of not following them. The best avenue for doing this is in the schools. Where small kids are accompanied by their parent and then live training is given. More than the kids, this will help their parents IMO, which is important.

Not relevant but still saying here:
Why do elders always hold their kid's left hand and walk on the road ???
So that the kid gets hurt before they do ???
jalsa777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 10:52   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post

Not relevant but still saying here:
This definitely tops my list of pet peeves.

The most logical explanation for this is - most kids are used to carrying candies / chocolates / toys / ipads (the next gen kids, hehe!) in their right hand. So the parent holds his left hand and the kid ends up in the "danger zone" while walking on the road.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
True, but the question was specific to motorcycles and I have seen riders signalling with the left hand while throttling. If u ask me, I'd take signaling from any hand considering that a majority of motorcycle riders never signal.
That is how it is practiced, but it is not correct by the rule. I am surprised, this was not checked at the time of your two-wheeler license test. As per rule, you have to use right hand irrespective of vehicle you are using.

At the time of my two-wheeler license, we were doing these right hand anti-clockwise movement to indicate left turn as Rohan has explained above. There was bit of confusion for some people as this sign is very similar to slowing down indication.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:57   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
...Not relevant but still saying here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
This definitely tops my list of pet peeves.

The most logical explanation for this is - most kids are used to carrying candies / chocolates / toys / ipads (the next gen kids, hehe!) in their right hand. So the parent holds his left hand and the kid ends up in the "danger zone" while walking on the road.
It is indeed correct to hold the left hand of the child while walking on the road/sidewalk/kerb. What is incorrect is that people are NOT supposed to WALK ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ROAD while doing so. It is outright dangerous, as they cannot see vehicles coming up from behind them, and may get hurt, especially in places where sidewalks are absent.

It is the duty of the pedestrian to always walk AGAINST the flow of traffic, which means that pedestrians should always walk on the right hand side of the road. This way, they can see oncoming vehicles and take evasive action if necessary, especially in places where there are no sidewalks. Holding the left hand of the child while walking on the right side of the road ensures that the child remains further away from the oncoming vehicles.

I believe there is a section in the CMVR which states that this is a rule, but I am not very sure. Rule or no rule, this is India, so even walking bang in the middle of the road (and endangering motorists) is "not a crime". The logic is

Pedestrian => no vehicle => poor person => not at fault => motorist at fault => beat up the motorist!!

@ jalsa777: Thanks for the eye-opening website man. We are in desperate need of stuff like this. People need to realize that a driver's license is a privilege, not a right. Tests like this one are a small step towards increasing awareness.

@safety4all: Keep up the good work! I hope you are able to take this forward and make a test like this one mandatory for all applicants. All the best to you.

Last edited by Bullitt : 16th April 2012 at 13:02.
Bullitt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 13:02   #28
BHPian

Maybe we can add some Bangalore specific questions?

1. Which side should you overtake when you drive on NICE road?
a. Right lane
b. Left lane
c. Follow vehicle in front and continue honking until they run into the shoulder
d. On the shoulder at twice the speed limit (correct answer)

2. How should you park your car when you are in a narrow street?
a. Park a little further to not obstruct traffic
b. Park in a side street and walk to where you are going
c. Park with your boot exactly sticking out and encroaching the lane traffic by about 3 feet (best answer)
d. Park in a no-parking zone and walk away and then fight with cop when he tickets you (most probable answer)

3. When you see a Easycab / Meru in your rear-view mirror, arrange the following in ascending order of steps to take
a. Start saying your final prayers and wish your family goodbye
b. Yell for your kids and everyone else to assume "crash" position
c. Start shouting in Kannada / Tamil to other motorists to save themselves
d. Stomp on the gas pedal to outrace the taxi and get out of his way
(figure out your answer any which way!)

I can add more but the mods may not take kindly to this.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 14:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

Damn, Cant open the link due to the corporate firewalls. Will try it later at home. Request those who have taken the test to not reveal the answers with screen shots. Let everyone try and find out the answers themselves.

Just one doubt, how updated is the website with the rules. Judging by the the BHP response, seems to be outdated and incorrect. Is this the official website affiliated to the RTO?
Old 16th April 2012, 14:41   #30

Thanks everybody for taking the test and finding it useful.
@ghodlur, At present, anyone desirous of gaining access to a learners licence has to appear for a computerised learners licence test. The question bank of the said test is almost exactly the same as you are appearing. The content being outdated or otherwise, I am not in a position to comment, but it is as per The Central Motor Vehicle Rules.

@jalsa777: all credit goes to you for acknowledging and playing a proactive role in propagating my noble idea of educating public in a playful manner.
(t
Forums like Thinkdigit and Theautomotive forum regarded LLRtest | Facebook as spam !
Thanks again jalsa777.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks