Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:59   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: Petrol price hiked by Rs. 7.50. EDIT 1st March 2013 : Up by Rs. 1.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
Expectedly CMs of most states have demanded a rollback. Considering how 'strong willed' this govt has been on almost everything, wondering whether we will wake up to news of a rollback.
CMs of most states ( that is non - UPA ruled states) might have demanded the roll back but I bet none would follow Parrikar and reduca state VAT.

What is Didi-speak on this? I sorely miss a Trinamool man at helm at Petroleum Ministry

The hike only forces more petrol users to convert to LPG, LPG users to use domestic cylinders for their cars. Which imposes more burden on OMCs.

Worse, sparing domestic LPG from hike doesnt yield any results as quite a few number of cylinders find their way to cars and the petrol hike negates the subsidy passed by Govt to domestic cylinder to the households.

Last edited by GTO : 24th May 2012 at 13:24. Reason: Typo
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:06   #92
BHPian

Yay!!! I am feeling richer already!

I am throwing a party tomorrow. Budget is Rs. 150. Reason: I hold 20 liters in my car. With the latest price increases I am richer by Rs. 7.5 x 20 liters = Rs. 150

(To be clear: the above is my attempt at deriving humor out of the situation)

Last edited by vipul_singh : 23rd May 2012 at 21:08.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:10   #93
BHPian

Tanked up on Premium. The pump was just starting to get crowded. But few takers for premium fuel. The attender did mention a price hike for diesel too.

As usual the greedy neighbourhood pump was closed waiting to sell their stock at new rates. They have never failed to do this in at least the past 5 odd years.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:14   #94
BANNED

Petrol Price Hike - Something i cant control. I shall pay whatever cost is for petrol.

Just wish there will be lesser cars/vehicles on road and can enjoy peaceful drive.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:14   #95
BHPian

One question I have, why is it that the fall in Rupee is causing an issue so quickly? Dont the companies get into FX contracts or do they always pay on spot price !! If there are contracts dont they have the trust in their own finance minister to correct the situation?

Secondly why if the govt is really concerned on the impact they can reduce the taxes to the extent that they still get the budgeted tax amount they worked out based on the previous price, since the tax is a percentage and a large one too.

Thirdly and most controversial would be, where and how is my tax money really spent...
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:14   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Tanked up on Premium. The pump was just starting to get crowded. But few takers for premium fuel. The attender did mention a price hike for diesel too.

As usual the greedy neighbourhood pump was closed waiting to sell their stock at new rates. They have never failed to do this in at least the past 5 odd years.
To be honest a regular pump attender wont know anything about it.He was just guessing it.

When you say closed? only the petrol area was closes or the complete pump??
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:17   #97
BHPian

^^ Yep, very true about the attendant, but they have been shockingly right a few times.

The whole area, they have this big rope running across, all lights turned off! It even has an HDFC ATM !

Ofcourse, even though it would be obvious about the closure, but my guess is it makes them feel better! They have actually graduated from the no diesel only to complete shut down. It doesn't take a genius to calculate the profit.

Last edited by YaeJay : 23rd May 2012 at 21:25.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:18   #98
BHPian

serious advice needed considering rising petrol prices:

(1) Should I sell me 1 yr old Ritz Zxi and buy a new Indica ev2?
(2) Sell me 1 yr old Ritz Zxi and buy a 4 yr old swift vdi?
(3) Decrease office commute by car, take the bus twice a week so that monthly petrol expenses remain same.

there's this little shortage of vitamin M on my side, so can't think of outright purchasing a new Swift VDi
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:20   #99
BHPian

Convinced my dad to buy a car for himself with great difficulty and almost about to seal a deal on a used Hyundai i10. Now with the steep hike in fuel price he has one more (valid)reason to say NO to the car. Now i have to start all over again
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:22   #100
BHPian

I am considering selling our two petrol cars to buy a diesel one.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:22   #101
BHPian

I have seen huge lines in Hyderabad. Each of the petrol pumps I have seen here have atleast 50 cars waiting in the queue. This is causing a nightmare and there are multiple traffic jams in the city of Hyderabad.

This petrol hike will push more buyers to buy diesel vehicles now. The price of petrol touching 100 Rs a litre is in the not so distant future.

OT
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thirdly and most controversial would be, where and how is my tax money really spent...
this question is on everyone's mind. With so many scams, I am not sure if this government will survive the next elections.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:25   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_boom View Post
I'm very sure diesel is next. Enjoy while it lasts LDi/VDi owners
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I am sure other fuels too will get their share of the hike soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
Removing subsidies on diesel, kerosene and LPG will happen in 2020 or 30.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion View Post
I again reiterate that the Diesel party is going to end soon, very soon. Probably post the Presidential elections.
I strongly suspect that the price of petrol and diesel won't be equal here in India even when my 4-yr-old daughter turns a grandmother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratheekkunder View Post
The reason they are not raising price for subsidized fuel(Diesel,Cooking Gas and Kerosene) is because the GOVT dont want the inflation to shoot up drastically. Petrol is considered as a luxury item in this Country, and thats its been increased so much.
Can someone please explain to me WHY is inflation on the rise even when diesel prices are steady?

If the government considers petrol a luxury item, then may be the government should consider selling this liquid in shopping malls, jewellery stores, etc. and leave "petrol pumps" to provide only diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
Then why is aviation turbine fuel almost Rs. 15 cheaper than petrol per liter??
Do you actually mean to say that fuel-for-fuel, aviation fuel is CHEAPER than petrol? No wonder politicians have become habituated to air travel.

Heck, in the near future, it may be cheaper to run a diesel car -- or even a small plane -- than a two-wheeler.

On the one hand, the government is freely pumping thousands of crores to Air India and at the same time, is freely hiking the price of petrol. I can now safely assume that traveling by Air India is a "necessity" while traveling in my i10 is a "luxury"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
The Govt seems to put petrol (users) on par with cigarettes and booze. A subsidy yielding milch cow. I really wonder how wide would the gap be between petrol & diesel in the days to come? A fifty buck difference soon?
Now, the government should put petrol on par with gold. Both prices are rising sharply these days.

On a side note: Despite having the country's cheapest petrol rates, there is a mad rush to procure petrol here in Goa at this moment.

Last edited by misquitas : 23rd May 2012 at 21:38.
misquitas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:42   #103
BHPian

Here is what petrol car owners will do from now on while at the pump:

Pump Attendant : Kitne ka daaloon?
Customer : 5-10 Rupye ka car ke upar spray kar de bhai. Aag lagani hai. :P

Forgive me.. Had to Share this
Pri2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:44   #104
BHPian

Perfect time for buying a diesel car. No matter how much the petrol rates rise, eventually diesel shall and will be cheaper and cost of running shall be marginally less i guess
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:45   #105
BHPian

Frustrated on the current situation! I strongly feel, we should reduce our petrol car usage. Taking public transport three days a week and your car for the other days!! Seems like a better option for saving Vitamin M, than shifting to a diesel variant. Diesel prices might also fluctuate in the near future.

Concluding with a joke:
Q: What do you do with your salary? A: Roti, Kapda, Makaan, and RIP (rest in petrol).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks