Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:47   #106
BHPian

re: Petrol price hiked by Rs. 7.50. EDIT 1st March 2013 : Up by Rs. 1.4

The per km cost difference between a small diesel hatch and a 100 cc scooter is so close now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
Here is what petrol car owners will do from now on while at the pump:

Pump Attendant : Kitne ka daaloon?
Customer : 5-10 Rupye ka car ke upar spray kar de bhai. Aag lagani hai. :P

Forgive me.. Had to Share this
This was tweeted by omar abdullah if I'm not wrong right? Please mention the source too!
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:51   #107

This move will make diesel cars more popular. IMHO, diesel exhaust is much more polluting and is known to be more cancerous. To the folks urging diesel prices remain the same for fear of increasing the prices of commodities, I say increase diesel prices for privately owned vehicles - bring them on par with petrol. Unfortunately, even that will be a temporary measure. Fossil fuel prices will continue to skyrocket till alternative fuels are affordable - if that ever happens.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:54   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi
The per km cost difference between a small diesel hatch and a 100 cc scooter is so close now!

This was tweeted by omar abdullah if I'm not wrong right? Please mention the source too!
Not sure who tweeted this first .. But read this on twitter trends - from some random guy. Petrol & Rs 7.50 is trending at no 1 right now.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:56   #109
Senior - BHPian

Pumps at many pumping stations in Kerala started developing troubles and ceased functioning after dusk today.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:04   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
serious advice needed considering rising petrol prices:

(1) Should I sell me 1 yr old Ritz Zxi and buy a new Indica ev2?
(2) Sell me 1 yr old Ritz Zxi and buy a 4 yr old swift vdi?
(3) Decrease office commute by car, take the bus twice a week so that monthly petrol expenses remain same.

there's this little shortage of vitamin M on my side, so can't think of outright purchasing a new Swift VDi
You are planning to incurr additional capital costs burden with a hope to cutting down on expenses outflow. Do a proper cash flow analysis of all the three options. Also see where you can posiibly increase your income. Think of car pooling. And try the bus option. It is excellent in B'lore if you are travelling in a contranian fashion.

And do not expect that diesel will remain where it is. Expect a savage hike after the presedential election and some additional burden on city dwelling dieselcar owners.
sridhar-v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:04   #111
BHPian

The price of petrol at Hyderabad would be 80.58 officially but the petrol bunk attenders would be charging 81 happily. This would be the actual price. But till now I did not understand the math. Crude oil rate is also experiencing a down trend along with dollar, but why only the later one considered?
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:12   #112
BHPian

When UPA took the office on 22nd May 2009, the petrol price in Delhi was 40.62. Tomorrow, 3 years later, on 24th May 2012, the price of petrol in Delhi will be 73.18. A hike of 80.2%.

Source of historical prices

The scary part is - they still have two years left in this term
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:19   #113
BHPian

Time to buy the 1.6 Polo, or even better scout for a good discount on the Laura RS. Yes, I am mad. But I have always placed my bet against the tide and won quite a few times.
azeemhafiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

As some one said , "It does not bother me ,since I fill only for 300 rs each time " .

The lower and middle class will be affected severely . The prices of commodities are tend to rise . Also I read that diesel and LPG will be raised next week !
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:26   #115
BHPian

Out of instincts, I left from office early and joined a large queue at a petrol pump in Noida Sec 54. Like a well mannered Indian, stood in a queue for 30 minutes and tolerated some morons that didn't know how to respect a queue. Once my turn came, I realised that they are out of stock for Normal Petrol. No clue if that is true or another scam.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:26   #116
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Do you actually mean to say that fuel-for-fuel, aviation fuel is CHEAPER than petrol? No wonder politicians have become habituated to air travel.

Heck, in the near future, it may be cheaper to run a diesel car -- or even a small plane -- than a two-wheeler.

On the one hand, the government is freely pumping thousands of crores to Air India and at the same time, is freely hiking the price of petrol. I can now safely assume that traveling by Air India is a "necessity" while traveling in my i10 is a "luxury"!
Surprising that most people don't know that... Below are the prices of petroleum products (Taken from bharat petroleum's website, all prices Mumbai)
1. Aviation turbine fuel (ATF): Rs 68 per litre
2. Diesel: Rs. 45 per litre
3. Furnace oil: 43 per kg
4. Petrol: Rs. 78 per kg (after increase)

So unit for unit, petrol is the most expensive, and at least Rs. 10 more expensive than ATF per unit. I'm really feeling sad for the the lower middle class. Heck, we can tide over this in some form of the other, but the common man is going to get squeezed to death with the current state of the corrupt government. I'm also going to rein in my bike use and instead travel more by my CNG car.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:28   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineOptimist View Post
By this logic, the hyper rich should be made more and more richer because it is because of the spending by that elite few that the rest of us exist.
he..he..that would be taking the idea too far, missing the original intent, but we all know that not how it works.

My point taken was, you can't subsidize to keep the cost low of a few items for the poor (however you define the term poor, even economists can't seem to converge ), and make life difficult for the not poor (I dare not call them rich!), when the economies of these two (not very distinct, thanks to our govt policies!) are highly interwoven! Q.E.D

What ever the discussion, my pocket it going to hurt tomorrow at the fuel station, god, help!
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Time to buy the 1.6 Polo, or even better scout for a good discount on the Laura RS. Yes, I am mad. But I have always placed my bet against the tide and won quite a few times.
So you are getting ready to get into the super luxury suit now as petrol is going to become a luxury(ironically much needed) along with VW/Skoda
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:30   #119
Senior - BHPian

At some petrol pumps near my house there are queues over 300-500 meters for getting the petrol at old price!

7.50 Rupee hike is too much! I really don't understand the economics behind the rise but this is really a suicidal step by Government.

On a lighter note it doesn't matter if petrol price rises by 1 rupee or 10 rupees, I always fill worth 1000 Rupees only.
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:34   #120
Senior - BHPian

Anybody selling a maruti dzire diesel anywhere in the country? I would personally come and buy your car and give you cash plus my petrol car for free.

Madness is the word that comes to mind. Manmohan Singh , time to wrap up and retire and please take your economic advisers with you.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks