Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 00:49   #166
BHPian

Re: Karfule turns 80! Bombay's stunning art deco petrol pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramb View Post
Wanted to get feedback on what people, bhpians expect , facilities when they fill up in fuel stations on highways.
In addition to what others have already mentioned:

1. Well trained staff. By that I don't mean courteousness and stuff like that. That should be given. What I mean is well trained in safety procedures like being familiar with fire extinguishers, where they are located and when and where to use them. Being bold enough to use the extinguishers at the right time. Be courteous, and at the same time, be stern with customers who do not follow safety procedures like no mobile phones, not switching off engines, smoking, etc.

2. Metal cans which may be borrowed against a deposit to buy a minimum quantity of fuel in case someone runs out of fuel in the vicinity.

3. Ready availability of numbers or information about reliable work shops/puncture repair shops in the vicinity. Especially those that might be willing to extend help at odd hours. Information about reliable hotels and medical facilities/shops, would be a nice touch too.

4. Toilets SHOULD BE handicap/wheel chair friendly.

5. Windscreen washers/cleaners are a nice addition especially at night when the glass is splattered with insect remains. Not many people like it, but for those who want it, a sign may be placed saying the service is available. Provide a good scratch proof kit for this.

6. Dust bins with easy access/noticeability.

Last edited by SCORPION : 26th October 2018 at 00:51.
SCORPION is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:07   #167
BHPian

Re: Karfule turns 80! Bombay's stunning art deco petrol pump

Quote:
Sorry if this the right forum to post my queries: Since this topic is about petrol pumps, I am in the process of opening new petroleum retail outlet on National Highways.

Wanted to get feedback on what people, bhpians expect , facilities when they fill up in fuel stations on highways.
Hi, Its a good ask and I appreciate you are open to our suggestions.

1. I have seen a few petrol stations [like BP near A2B in Shoolagiri b/w Hosur & Krishnagiri] offering FREE Nitrogen. I don't know what it takes to offer N2 for free. Can you think about it?

2. I am a frequent highway rider b/w Bangalore & Chennai and Bangalore & Trichy. I would love to have Coffee/Tea/Milk and some quick snack break while filling petrol. This would avoid another stop for eatery break
By "Snack break", I mean a traditional Coffee and snack shop, but not the fancy Cafe shop!

BTW, which highway locations are you considering?

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:19   #168
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Petrol Pump Story - How Petrol Pumps Operate

Not sure how feasible it is, an air conditioned room/lounge with a few chairs, TV, magazines, news papers will add a lot of value.

People traveling long distance will appreciate a place to relax for 15-20mins.
A nominal fee coule be charged for using the facilities.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:24   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
+1 to @blackwasp!

In addition, if there could be a live tea counter with kadak chai 24/7 on a highway at a safe place like petrol pump, it would be dream come true for many odd hour wanderers!
Such a facility will be illegal in places like Chennai( the Chennai Police Act of 1800's) where there is a dumb, Victorian era , 2 centuries old law that prevents eateries of any sort to function beyond 11 PM.

Most eateries function by bribing the cops or sometimes I have seen cops who are understanding of the need of livelihood and food of both the seller and buyer.

1. Good quality and quantity fuel. Off late, I have been staying away from govt OMCs outside of my locality because of this reason.

2. Good long ramps from the highway. Preferably 50 metres before the entry of the pump. Prevents the need to make abrupt turns.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 20:32   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Thank you for asking!

I think petrol and the pumps will be pretty standard. What I've seen varying across fuel stations is the air filling. The worst pumps will have non-functioning air pumps or air pumps with no one around to fill air. The best have well-calibrated machines and a dedicated attendant to fill air.

Most of the Shell outlets In Bangalore are good examples of well-run fuel stations. Since you're planning to open on the highway, clean bathrooms would be great!
Thanks for the feedback
I have made a deal with the supplier of air filling machines to calibrate the machine on a monthly basis.
I am giving much importance to cleanliness and a dedicated staff for cleaning will be hired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
If the Mods allow, you could let us know the location, so that we will be sure that we can get quality service at your outlet, since you are one of us.
Sure. I am planning to open in December. Surely I will let you know the location with pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Apart from the usual clean toilets, etiquette of staff etc., here are some that I think as a traveller would make me visit your place.
1. Well lit place, and I mean proper lighting not just for pump areas, but also the entrance and exit
2. 4-5 bays parking for cars right infront of the office so that a sleepy traveller can park car there and take a quick nap in a safe area
3. Functional card machine / alternate payment like Paytm etc. It's not always possible to carry cash, especially if it's an emergency.
4. Hire some female staff, it would make female solo travellers more comfortable
5. Simple counter that sells biscuits, chips and bottled water.
Thanks blcakwasp for you suggestion.
We are building the outlet on 22000 sq feet area with ample parking lit well for as many cars as possible
Now its mandatory to accept atleast two digital payment methods apart from card machines in govt oil companies.
Planning to have a filter coffee counter with basic amenities.

Quote:
+1 to @blackwasp!

In addition, if there could be a live tea counter with kadak chai 24/7 on a highway at a safe place like petrol pump, it would be dream come true for many odd hour wanderers!
Thanks for the suggestion. I am planning to have a filter coffee counter initially

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
In addition to what others have already mentioned:

1. Well trained staff. By that I don't mean courteousness and stuff like that. That should be given. What I mean is well trained in safety procedures like being familiar with fire extinguishers, where they are located and when and where to use them. Being bold enough to use the extinguishers at the right time. Be courteous, and at the same time, be stern with customers who do not follow safety procedures like no mobile phones, not switching off engines, smoking, etc.

2. Metal cans which may be borrowed against a deposit to buy a minimum quantity of fuel in case someone runs out of fuel in the vicinity.

3. Ready availability of numbers or information about reliable work shops/puncture repair shops in the vicinity. Especially those that might be willing to extend help at odd hours. Information about reliable hotels and medical facilities/shops, would be a nice touch too.

4. Toilets SHOULD BE handicap/wheel chair friendly.

5. Windscreen washers/cleaners are a nice addition especially at night when the glass is splattered with insect remains. Not many people like it, but for those who want it, a sign may be placed saying the service is available. Provide a good scratch proof kit for this.

6. Dust bins with easy access/noticeability.
Thanks Scorpion for the valuable advice
All your points are very useful
We are building handicapped toilets.
Will take up all the important phone numbers in the vicinity and will display it to customers.
Also there will be a staff for windshield cleaning and basic car vaccum service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Hi, Its a good ask and I appreciate you are open to our suggestions.

1. I have seen a few petrol stations [like BP near A2B in Shoolagiri b/w Hosur & Krishnagiri] offering FREE Nitrogen. I don't know what it takes to offer N2 for free. Can you think about it?

2. I am a frequent highway rider b/w Bangalore & Chennai and Bangalore & Trichy. I would love to have Coffee/Tea/Milk and some quick snack break while filling petrol. This would avoid another stop for eatery break
By "Snack break", I mean a traditional Coffee and snack shop, but not the fancy Cafe shop!

BTW, which highway locations are you considering?

Prem.
Thanks Kaviprem. I do want to provide a quality experience to customers.
I am installing free N2. Now a days almost all pumps come with free N2.
Since most of the people here in forum mentioned about tea/coffee:
I am planning to have a small filter coffee stall. Since we already own cows, planning to try out filter coffee first at highest quality at nominal price and then venture to other areas as you have mentioned.
This pump is coming up at NH 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Not sure how feasible it is, an air conditioned room/lounge with a few chairs, TV, magazines, news papers will add a lot of value.

People traveling long distance will appreciate a place to relax for 15-20mins.
A nominal fee coule be charged for using the facilities.
Thanks speedmiester. Since we are building in a huge area , maybe I will include it in the future since space is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Such a facility will be illegal in places like Chennai( the Chennai Police Act of 1800's) where there is a dumb, Victorian era , 2 centuries old law that prevents eateries of any sort to function beyond 11 PM.

Most eateries function by bribing the cops or sometimes I have seen cops who are understanding of the need of livelihood and food of both the seller and buyer.

1. Good quality and quantity fuel. Off late, I have been staying away from govt OMCs outside of my locality because of this reason.

2. Good long ramps from the highway. Preferably 50 metres before the entry of the pump. Prevents the need to make abrupt turns.
Thanks Ragavsr.
Maybe we can have coffee served 24 hours will not be a problem.
Govt OMC are very strict in terms of quality and quantity. Not sure if oyu faced any problem.

On National Highways according to new rules, there will be a 70 mts approach raod to the pump[deceleration] and 100 mts exit road[acceleration] from the outlet. These norms have to be met. So we are constructing the thar approach road 70 mts and exit road 100 mts with a landscape in between according to national highway standards.
These are must for new pumps. Not sure for already existing pumps.

Last edited by ramb : 28th October 2018 at 20:36. Reason: Spell correction
ramb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 22:16   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Thanks .
Good to haves
- Diaper changing table
- access to vaccum cleaner in case one likes to clean interior while on a long drive
- chairs for attendant to seat/rest

You may also want to extend some goodwill by offering complementary coupons to avail free emission test to those big ticket /regular customers, offer chilled buttermilk during summer to those clocking bill beyond some limit, small biscuit pack to truckers may be ?

A unique sticker indicating fuel type can help you grab attention, seen someone I know trying this successfully
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 22:48   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback
I have made a deal with...
must for new pumps. Not sure for already existing pumps.
Great to see such a positive attitude towards feedback and your efforts to turn them into reality. Hope your new venture brings you success, and more importantly, happy customers!

When I travel, especially at night with family, I find it really hard to decide which fuel station I should stop at. Probably a couple of sign boards before the station highlighting the positives (Family Section, 24/7 Refreshments, Kids Friendly, or something more catchy??) to make people aware would help!

Basically, top notch product quality and good customer service is all people need!!
quickfox11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 08:25   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Good to haves
- Diaper changing table
- access to vaccum cleaner in case one likes to clean interior while on a long drive
- chairs for attendant to seat/rest

You may also want to extend some goodwill by offering complementary coupons to avail free emission test to those big ticket /regular customers, offer chilled buttermilk during summer to those clocking bill beyond some limit, small biscuit pack to truckers may be ?

A unique sticker indicating fuel type can help you grab attention, seen someone I know trying this successfully
Thank Thilak for these suggestions. I will include it.
I am planning on giving gifts to customers based on the quantity of fuel they will be filling. The idea of buttermilk during summer is a good one to include. I will keep this in mind. Thanks

Quote:
Great to see such a positive attitude towards feedback and your efforts to turn them into reality. Hope your new venture brings you success, and more importantly, happy customers!

When I travel, especially at night with family, I find it really hard to decide which fuel station I should stop at. Probably a couple of sign boards before the station highlighting the positives (Family Section, 24/7 Refreshments, Kids Friendly, or something more catchy??) to make people aware would help!

Basically, top notch product quality and good customer service is all people need!!
Thanks a lot quickfox for the motivation.
I am planning to keep an ad board before 1 km of the outlet mentioning the above facilities. I will be very much concentrating on providing excellent customer service which should be a trend setter for fuel stations.
ramb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 10:43   #174
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning on giving gifts to customers based on the quantity of fuel they will be filling. The idea of buttermilk during summer is a good one to include. I will keep this in mind. Thanks

I am planning to keep an ad board before 1 km of the outlet mentioning the above facilities. I will be very much concentrating on providing excellent customer service which should be a trend setter for fuel stations.
My suggestion would be to include an exclusive loyalty offer to Bhpians which would encourage mutual admiration. You could also offer a car wash
to customers while they spend time at your outlet for tea/snacks.
sumzup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 11:02   #175
BHPian

Quote:

It is very nice to see that you are collecting so much information, suggestions, and feedback. Wishing you the very best setting it up.
Providing excellent facilities would not only be setting a trend but will be a competition killer.
On the lighter side, your point on Gifts based on the quantity of fuel filled, all the truckers would be taking away the gifts leaving nothing for the car guys .
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 07:58   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
My suggestion would be to include an exclusive loyalty offer to Bhpians which would encourage mutual admiration. You could also offer a car wash
to customers while they spend time at your outlet for tea/snacks.
Sure, I will give in discounts for Bhpians . As of now I am planning windscreen wash and vaccuming the car. Slowly I will increase the facility to include car wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadguy25 View Post
It is very nice to see that you are collecting so much information, suggestions, and feedback. Wishing you the very best setting it up.
Providing excellent facilities would not only be setting a trend but will be a competition killer.
On the lighter side, your point on Gifts based on the quantity of fuel filled, all the truckers would be taking away the gifts leaving nothing for the car guys .
Thanks a lot for the kind words. Since I was more exposed in customer centric field prior to this , I want to make sure customer has the highest satisfaction when he visits the outlet.
Sure, I will make sure there is offers for car guys, specially Bhpians.
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:04   #177
Team-BHP Support

While on the highway, the only things that matter to me from a fueling perspective:

1) Quality of fuel
2) Safe, well-lit and spacious. This gives tremendous confidence when traveling at night.
3) Clean restrooms for men and women
4) I know this would depend on the network viability but a couple of card machines/Paytm/BHIM

If you can, have dedicated lanes for trucks/buses/other CVs so that cars with relatively small tanks and hence, quicker turnaround don't get stuck behind them.

A bonus is if the petrol pump can stock some packaged food/water so that can eliminate an additional stop for a quick bite.

* Maybe a facility for people to heat their food/milk (esp. if traveling with toddlers).

Quote:
As of now I am planning windscreen wash and vaccuming the car.
Bear in mind that being on the highway, the needs of the majority of your customers will be a quick fuel top-up. Everyone's generally in a hurry to get where they're going. Think about how many would want to break their journey to have their car vacuum cleaned or washed. Just a suggestion so you don't end up making a significant financial investment that sours your willingness to spend elsewhere.

Good luck!
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:25   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

Few from my side:

1) Well trained staffs - In many pumps here, these guys just leave the fuel lid hanging without slotting it in place and lean on to the car while the car is being filled. Many owners won't like that. I haven't seen this outside KL but worth a mention.
2) ATM counter.
3) Easy entry/exit which is well lit.
4) During my drive to Bangalore many years back, a newly opened pump was distributing 1L water bottles to customers. Maybe something like that would be nice.
5) Basic toolkit/puncture kit - I was in need of a spanner once while coming from Bangalore. I had to borrow one from a taxi driver during my breakfast stop.

Agree to Libran - A typical Indian family would want to reach back home fast rather than taking a break. So investing in AC waiting rooms etc wouldn't make sense. A clean toilet with diaper changing room would be good. Also, if you have a big property, a restaurant next to it would attract a lot of crowd (like Shoolagiri HP COCO).

All the best for this new venture and keep us updated on the location. I take this route atleast twice a year. Will definitely drop by.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 14:00   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
While on the highway, the only things that matter to me from a fueling perspective:

1) Quality of fuel
2) Safe, well-lit and spacious. This gives tremendous confidence when traveling at night.
3) Clean restrooms for men and women
4) I know this would depend on the network viability but a couple of card machines/Paytm/BHIM

If you can, have dedicated lanes for trucks/buses/other CVs so that cars with relatively small tanks and hence, quicker turnaround don't get stuck behind them.

A bonus is if the petrol pump can stock some packaged food/water so that can eliminate an additional stop for a quick bite.

* Maybe a facility for people to heat their food/milk (esp. if traveling with toddlers).

Bear in mind that being on the highway, the needs of the majority of your customers will be a quick fuel top-up. Everyone's generally in a hurry to get where they're going. Think about how many would want to break their journey to have their car vacuum cleaned or washed. Just a suggestion so you don't end up making a significant financial investment that sours your willingness to spend elsewhere.

Good luck!
Thanks for the wonderful tips. I am giving more importance for clean toilets and cleanliness around the outlet with nice landscaping. We will be accepting all cards with Paytm included.
There will be an approach road of 70 mts from the highway towards the outlet and 100 mts towards the exit so that vehicles entering and exiting the pumps have safety maintained.
Surely I will install an electric oven or a micro wave
There would be clean RO water available at all times

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Few from my side:

1) Well trained staffs - In many pumps here, these guys just leave the fuel lid hanging without slotting it in place and lean on to the car while the car is being filled. Many owners won't like that. I haven't seen this outside KL but worth a mention.
2) ATM counter.
3) Easy entry/exit which is well lit.
4) During my drive to Bangalore many years back, a newly opened pump was distributing 1L water bottles to customers. Maybe something like that would be nice.
5) Basic toolkit/puncture kit - I was in need of a spanner once while coming from Bangalore. I had to borrow one from a taxi driver during my breakfast stop.

Agree to Libran - A typical Indian family would want to reach back home fast rather than taking a break. So investing in AC waiting rooms etc wouldn't make sense. A clean toilet with diaper changing room would be good. Also, if you have a big property, a restaurant next to it would attract a lot of crowd (like Shoolagiri HP COCO).

All the best for this new venture and keep us updated on the location. I take this route atleast twice a year. Will definitely drop by.
Thanks Naveen for the tips
Noted down all the points and made a check list from all the tips collected from Team bhp members which is really helpful.
I will surely include a basic puncture kit and tool kit along with a trained staff to help out during punctures.
Thanks for the wishes. Once opened, I will post the photos and the location.Thanks a lot
ramb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th March 2019, 12:18   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Received this as a WhatsApp post. Good message so sharing here.
Short and literal translation - Do not fill your tank to the full, as it is not safe. Also, open the fuel cap once a day.

As the son of a former oil sector employee, I can safely and confidently say this - the aforementioned message is not true at all.

Even if you fill up your vehicle till full tank, there is always enough space left in the tank for air to run. It is how the tanks are defined.

Also, the temperature and pressure at which petrol/diesel evaporates, and converts into gaseous form, is much much higher than what we will ever face in summer.

For the more adventurous, let me also clarify this - liquid petrol/diesel does not burn directly if exposed to a direct naked flame. It is the gas which gets released upon evaporation which burns.
LegalEagle is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks