Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 22:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nano CNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
A toroidal tank may not work since CNG is stored under a very high pressure, hence it requires a cylindrical tank.
How about LPG Nano? I guess toroidal type of tank will suit Nano better in terms of space saving + capacity.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Yes, it is easily available in Ahmedabad and I think many other cities, as GTO mentioned. You can fill it up almost any part of the city.
Thanks, thats good. Hope Tata will see some better sale numbers with CNG option going into market. But as discussed in this thread, performance and design of the CNG kit is still a question.

Off topic but why is Tata now concentrating on CNG? Is it going to be available all over India soon?
Old 1st June 2012, 20:04   #18
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How about LPG Nano? I guess toroidal type of tank will suit Nano better in terms of space saving + capacity.
Yes that tank is easily suited to the Nano. LPG is a very good option in cities where CNG is not available. It burns cleaner and is pretty light on the pocket. However it is more expensive than diesel by a far margin. So a diesel Nano would make sense rather than an LPG variant.

If I was in command of Tata motors and I wanted to increase sales of the nano, I would focus on the CNG nano for metros having CNG, and diesel in all other locations. With just these 2 variants, Tata can easily sell over 20000 nanos per month.
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post
If I was in command of Tata motors and I wanted to increase sales of the nano, I would focus on the CNG nano for metros having CNG, and diesel in all other locations. With just these 2 variants, Tata can easily sell over 20000 nanos per month.
I agree. With petrol only model, they are now now regularly doing 8,000 plus. I expect this figure to come down to 5,000 due to the fuel hike. CNG + Diesel option may not take them to 20,000 but it may even surpass the 20,000 mark!
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:22   #20
BHPian

I think the upcoming Diesel model would work better for sales. Cities where CNG filling stations are limited, this product would not sell that much.

A question: Is the CNG model a "duo" model i.e. like in maruti where it has both a petrol / CNG option?
Old 3rd June 2012, 13:44   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
I think the upcoming Diesel model would work better for sales. Cities where CNG filling stations are limited, this product would not sell that much.

A question: Is the CNG model a "duo" model i.e. like in maruti where it has both a petrol / CNG option?
As far as I know and have read about it, yes, it is going to be a 'Duo' thing. Petrol + CNG.

Even the Diesel + CNG option sounds to be a good deal!

I just hope, they plonk in a AT gearbox. Would make it one of a kind and we would get a hassel free city car. Especially for the female drivers. However I dont think with CNG an Auto would able able to pull it across. Just my thought and would love to be proved wrong!
Old 4th June 2012, 19:58   #22
BHPian

Tata Motors and hassle free are two equally opposing forces. That being said, a Diesel CVT would be ideal but expensive. A manual CNG would do for me if they get the implementation flawless and the taxi market says so.
Old 4th June 2012, 21:11   #23
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
As far as I know and have read about it, yes, it is going to be a 'Duo' thing. Petrol + CNG.

Even the Diesel + CNG option sounds to be a good deal!

I just hope, they plonk in a AT gearbox. Would make it one of a kind and we would get a hassel free city car. Especially for the female drivers. However I dont think with CNG an Auto would able able to pull it across. Just my thought and would love to be proved wrong!
Diesel to CNG conversion is very expensive. Doesn't make sense. Also you cannot have a vehicle which runs on diesel + CNG (bi-fuel).

The petrol to CNG conversion is in a different league altogether. The engine is smaller and lighter, conversion is cheaper since fuel is already ignited by a spark plug, and since the engine is smaller, the car's weight is also lower than a diesel converted one.
SAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Spotted the Tata Nano CNG variant yesterday doing the rounds in South Mumbai.
It has a CNG tank located below the driver/passenger seat.
CNG can be filled from the bonnet, similar to the petrol filling option.

Tata Nano CNG-20120903_142754.jpg

Tata Nano CNG-20120903_142811.jpg

Tata Nano CNG-20120903_142846.jpg

Tata Nano CNG-20120903_142927.jpg
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the pics @parrys. Did you notice any other changes on it, like a openable hatch?
Old 4th September 2012, 17:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Spotted the Tata Nano CNG variant yesterday doing the rounds in South Mumbai.
It has a CNG tank located below the driver/passenger seat.
CNG can be filled from the bonnet, similar to the petrol filling option.
In the pics posted there seemed to be no difference from a standard Lx. Were there any visual cues or you did stop and chatted with the driver later to find out that it was CNG if I didn't get it at the first time.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:02   #27
BANNED

Here is one from my side! I cant tell the source of the pic, but it is the CNG!

OT- The file size was exceeding, so renamed it as .zip, please do rename it to .JPG

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: zip IMG029.zip (1.06 MB, 520 views)
Old 4th September 2012, 19:55   #28
SAS
BHPian

If the above scoop is true then Tata have placed the cylinder under the front passenger seats, just as I had suspected earlier. I feel this is the best placement of the cylinder. Kudos to Tata. Now they should focus on getting the CNG variant out as soon as possible. A Nano on CNG is the perfect city runabout and should do easily around 180kms between CNG refills.
Old 5th September 2012, 11:13   #29
BHPian

Whatever happened to the diesel Nano rumours! CNG option is welcome but I wonder how a 624 cc engine would perform with CNG. The mass market will not bother as Nano was never a performance oriented car.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 5th September 2012 at 11:21.
Old 5th September 2012, 12:40   #30
BHPian

With cylinder placed under the seats won't it be more security hazard. E.g. leakage, people smoking in the car etc.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks