Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 00:58   #1
BHPian

Tata Nano CNG

Tata Motors have confirmed the launch of Tata Nano CNG in this fiscal year.

As quoted in IndianCarsBikes.in -
"Tata Motors, on the back of announcing its fourth quarter result for the fiscal year 2011-12, made an important announcement regarding the Nano. The automaker showcased a CNG dual fuel version of the Nano at the 2012 Indian Auto Expo. Now we have a launch time frame made official by Tata, earlier today. The 2013 Tata Nano CNG will be launched during this fiscal year, which means that it will be here latest by March 2013. Given that the model showcased at the Auto Expo looked production ready, the launch of the Nano CNG could be preponed given the current circumstances the country is going through currently.".

Official: 2013 Tata Nano CNG to be launched in this fiscal year | IndianCarsBikes.in

Good move by Tata Motors. Better late than never and hope the diesel gets launched soon too

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st May 2012 at 01:08.
freakmuzik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 18:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Nano Diesel with CRDI technology coming !!!

Umm, as per the info I've got, Nano Cng is ready to be launched and is being tested inside the Sanand Factory. Sorry I cannot promise any pictures of the vehicle, but a new color maybe introduced sooner or later. The new color will the Maroon.
Cheers!
Naparajito is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 14:45   #3
BANNED

Re: Tata Nano CNG

This is good news.

>> The Nano CNG will come with a 35 liter CNG tank and a 15 liter petrol tank.

So just 35 Liters CNg tank means max 5 KG CNG at a time :-(. This calls for repeated CNG filling activity.

Tank should be atleast 50 Liters.
idea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 15:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good that TATA is launching nano with CNG, But what about the pricing ?

Nano petrol top model cost around 2.2 lakhs on road, with CNG kit added prices will be further increased by 40,000 ( approx ) which will make it around 2.6 lakhs on road. However i agree that, it'll be the cheapest CNG car to own, but with a mere 624 cc engine, how will it perform with CNG, not to forget the AC load on engine.

Even Alto with CNG and AC feels VERY sluggish while driving, i can very well imagine the same for CNG nano.

With around 2.5 lakhs rupees, I better buy a used esteem or even a year old Alto for same price, which will perform very well compared with Nano. Anything above 2 lakhs for a Nano is a BIG no-no for me.

But these are just my views, however others may differ from it. But no offense meant to any Nano owner

My 2 cents.

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 31st May 2012 at 15:22.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:25   #5
BHPian

Except New Delhi where is this great fuel available? Govt may not bring this to all parts of India as they will loose revenue from petrol i think.
Old 31st May 2012, 15:26   #6
Team-BHP Support

I kinda feel bad for Tata; they've come up with a marvel like Nano and despite all their efforts, it is just not clicking!

I hope CNG provides some boost to it's sales.

Another thing : where would the CNG kit go? Would it further reduce whatever little luggage space that the Nano offers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
However i agree that, it'll be the cheapest CNG car to own, but with a mere 624 cc engine, how will it perform with CNG, not to forget the AC load on engine.
Precisely my line of thought; one of Nano's drawbacks is power. I hope it manages to pull through with the CNG kit.
Old 31st May 2012, 16:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Except New Delhi where is this great fuel available? Govt may not bring this to all parts of India as they will loose revenue from petrol i think.
Lots of places actually. Mumbai, Pune, major Gujarat cities, Hyderabad, Indore, Kota, Agra, Lucknow, Gurgaon etc.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 17:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lots of places actually. Mumbai, Pune, major Gujarat cities, Hyderabad, Indore, Kota, Agra, Lucknow, Gurgaon etc.
Thanks. Thats great news. But are they available easily like Delhi where every few kms you can find a pump. Hope they some time bring it to Bangalore also. Can CNG kits be installed to diesel common rail engines?
Old 31st May 2012, 18:39   #9
BHPian

Off-topic, Tata has also planned for higher displacement petrol engine for the future. The Engine blocks are ready. And they'll start testing/ started testing them already now.
Naparajito is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:05   #10
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Another thing : where would the CNG kit go? Would it further reduce whatever little luggage space that the Nano offers?
Tata showcased their CNG NANO in Auto Expo and upon inquiry about the location of the cylinder I was told that its under the front seats.

They have managed to fit the battery under the bonnet though.
kkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 19:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Once they are ready with the CNG, an LPG won't be too far. Definitely a step in the right direction for Tata. But what remains to be seen is how fast can a Nano CNG go? We don't need more vehicles that compete with an autorickshaw and create nuisance on our roads.

Another line of thought is that, if the CNG Nano is driveable with 4-5 people on board, it can open up new business avenues. A new mode of transport which combines the operating costs of an auto and comfort of a taxi. It shall be the Nano CNG/LPG!
Old 31st May 2012, 19:46   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameaa View Post
Thanks. Thats great news. But are they available easily like Delhi where every few kms you can find a pump. Hope they some time bring it to Bangalore also. Can CNG kits be installed to diesel common rail engines?
Yes, it is easily available in Ahmedabad and I think many other cities, as GTO mentioned. You can fill it up almost any part of the city.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:31   #13
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
This is good news.

>> The Nano CNG will come with a 35 liter CNG tank and a 15 liter petrol tank.

So just 35 Liters CNg tank means max 5 KG CNG at a time :-(. This calls for repeated CNG filling activity.

Tank should be atleast 50 Liters.
True. But keep in mind the other implications of space and weight. The larger the tank, the higher the weight, and the suspension would need to be bolstered plus the driving the car would be sluggish. Nano would easily give above 30km per kg, translating into a 150km range on CNG. IMHO, that should suffice for city runs with people refilling once every 3 days. Personally, I would buy such a vehicle.
Old 31st May 2012, 21:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Just now I was reading a joke on facebook 'Tata Nano is world's cheaper petrol car and India has costliest petrol' and now this thread.

Adding CNG to Nano will definitely help in reducing running expenses but I am not sure how the engine/car will act with CNG Kit? Imagine a CNG Nano with current state of engine with 4 people + A/C on.

And where they will place the cylinder? In the Bonnet? I guess they should install a toroidal shape cylinder which came with WagonR Duo.

Last edited by bluevolt : 31st May 2012 at 21:50.
Old 31st May 2012, 22:43   #15
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Just now I was reading a joke on facebook 'Tata Nano is world's cheaper petrol car and India has costliest petrol' and now this thread.

Adding CNG to Nano will definitely help in reducing running expenses but I am not sure how the engine/car will act with CNG Kit? Imagine a CNG Nano with current state of engine with 4 people + A/C on.

And where they will place the cylinder? In the Bonnet? I guess they should install a toroidal shape cylinder which came with WagonR Duo.
I'm guessing they would keep it in the bonnet or under the front seats. Performance shouldn't be an issue. The 2012 Nano is pretty peppy. A toroidal tank may not work since CNG is stored under a very high pressure, hence it requires a cylindrical tank.

Most Viewed