Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 10:08   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX production to end in 2012

Mitsubishi Pajero SFX production to end in 2012-dsc03353-custom.jpg

HM-Mitsubishi has finalised plans to end production of the Pajero SFX in the coming months.

There is currently a Rs. 2.5 lakh difference between the ol' Pajero SFX and the freshly launched Pajero Sport. Without doubt, this was creating tremendous overlap between the old & new Pajero in Mitsubishi showrooms. The Pajero SFX managed a monthly sales average of ~125 units in year 2011. However, that dropped to merely 43 units a month from the time of the 2012 Pajero Sport's launch.

We can't say that we're saddened by the news. The SFX is the 2nd generation Mitsubishi Pajero that had its global debut way back in 1991, making it a whopping 21 years old today! The dated design & lack of outright power was obvious when compared to other SUVs from the D2 segment. 20-lakh rupee customers aren't that price sensitive, understanding that an additional 2.5 lakh Rupees gets them the new Pajero Sport that is far more contemporary, powerful and safe.

@ HM : Now, it's time to lay to rest the other vintage workhorses from your stable. Ambassador? Veer? Lancer? Cedia?

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2012 at 10:14.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 10:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mitsubishi Pajero SFX production to end in 2012

actually IMHO HM has missed a trick here. The SFX even today has tremendous brand equity, and given its vintage, I'm sure that its tooling and dyes are already depreciated. what HM should have done is to get off their high horse, drop the price to about 15-17L, and offer this with a reasonable (note: i only say reasonable and not cutting edge) common rail diesel- say a 2.5L with FGT developing about 120ish horses and about 300 NM of torque. This beast would have flown off the showroom floors.

but then, its HM aint it.....so pigs may fly, but HM wont walk!
himanshugoswami is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 10:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
actually IMHO HM has missed a trick here. The SFX even today has tremendous brand equity, and given its vintage, I'm sure that its tooling and dyes are already depreciated. what HM should have done is to get off their high horse, drop the price to about 15-17L, and offer this with a reasonable (note: i only say reasonable and not cutting edge) common rail diesel- say a 2.5L with FGT developing about 120ish horses and about 300 NM of torque. This beast would have flown off the showroom floors.

Exactly what I thought. Cut the price bring it down at least by 2.5 lacs and am sure the beast will do good numbers. Even in current engine trim it will sell. I am looking at replacing my Innova which has done 1.7lac kms and SFX is one of the short listed vehicle.

Are there chances of any discounts on the way out? Stock clearance etc
Old 12th June 2012, 10:37   #4
Team-BHP Support

If there was a downgraded version of the Pajero available at the 10-12 lakhs mark, i am sure it would continue to find takers. However, the resale would certainly go for a toss!

That said, the design is timeless, and to me it signifies what a true blue SUV should be like.
benbsb29 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 10:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
drop the price to about 15-17L

its HM aint it.....so pigs may fly, but HM wont walk!
Extremely well put and an idea that should have occurred to the HM marketing before any of us.

The old Pajero IMO still looks awesome, they have lost an opportunity to cash in on Brand Pajero.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh. It getting out of production even before I could make enough money to afford one.
I really love the design of this one.
SUV be should like this. This only.

Edit: Just googled the New Pajero.
I won't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole.

Last edited by download2live : 12th June 2012 at 11:08.
download2live is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 11:18   #7
BHPian

Mitsubishi is slowly shutting shop in India. They have produced some good cars over the years. How I wish they would commit to the Indian market.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

+1 to that.

The Pajero is indeed very old. But as a car, it still performs very well and is very reliable. The only grouse is its anemic engine and expensive spares.

If Mitsubishi could answer these issues by an updated engine(perhaps a detuned Pajero Sport engine) and some more localisation to reduce price(by atleast 5L INR.) and spares, it is ready to survive another 5-7 years in our market.

I am sure there will be many takers for this old and dated, yet macho SUV.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

When they can chug along Amby and Lancer for these many years, especially the Amby, wonder why they can't continue with the Pajero. They won't find any other market that will accept a 21 year old car, it's not the car that's the problem, it's just the price. Even if they don't touch the engine, price it in Scorp/Safari territory , it will be a cash cow for them and help them to finance some of the 'future' plans.
The only reason they may not do it is to uphold the 'Pajero' brand and for any future branding exercise, but then Mitsu is not known for long term planning.
Old 12th June 2012, 11:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

I don't think the Pajero is produced here. IIRC (and I could be wrong) it is imported as a CKD and assembled. Same with the others. The Montero is brought in as a CBU, hence the astronomical taxes and pricing.

And to add- I am sad that the SFX is going out of production. It was something I was really hoping to buy soon! :(
madan80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
I am sad that the SFX is going out of production. It was something I was really hoping to buy soon! :(

That makes the two of us; that is sad—the Pajero is about the only true blue SUV around. I have one, and around this time last year, it took me to Jalori Pass. There were no roads, only six- to eight-inch rocks and boulders on a 35º inclines on hair-pin bends. I was on edge all the way, wondering if I had done the right thing by taking this route from Manali to Narkanda, since I didn't think I was going to make it alive. It was just after the monsoons and as said earlier, there were no roads. The Paj, however, made easy meat of that road (I did visit the temple at the Pass itself to count my blessings though!).

A truly magnificent vehicle. If HM cuts the price and brings it down to Rs 18-19 lacs on-road, this is one vehicle that will fly off the shelves.

Great SUV.
rajeevn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:55   #12
BHPian

right now their focus is on the Pajero Sport and to localize it after the first lot of imports, totaly agree that instead of shutting the production line for the sfx Pajero, they could have en-cashed on the Pajero brand equity, especially at a lower price. OT In the recent years, the Pajero has been one of the favorite cars with theifs who would steal them (especially in mumbai) and sell them in other states.
TRANSAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 15:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
Mitsubishi is slowly shutting shop in India
Not sure how did you get that impression. This was a old model which was earlier not discontinued after launch of a new one. Now they are setting it right by discontinuing it, aint that a good thing?

Although there has been enough talk on Mitsubishi shutting shop, i do not think they will, also its worth noting that this talk has been going on for last 1 year+ and in the meantime Mitsubishi has launched new Pajero Sport.
Old 12th June 2012, 15:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Re:

Honestly, I am kind of sad hearing this. Somehow I've never quite connected to the new gen Pajeros like the 21 year old one. It's how an SUV should be, and I'm sure there are many more who have had it in their dream garage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
@ HM : Now, it's time to lay to rest the other vintage workhorses from your stable. Ambassador? Veer? Lancer? Cedia?
Doesn't leave them with much on the table after that.. lol! They really need to hurry up and introduce some of the newer Mitsubishi cars... the new (well, not so new anymore!) Lancer, Colt, Mirage etc. Better still, time for Mitsu to dump HM like an old habit and find a new partner for the Indian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
Are there chances of any discounts on the way out? Stock clearance etc
Would be keeping an eye out for that. This will also hit resale prices for sure. Discontinued model = upper hand for the buyer
Old 12th June 2012, 15:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSAM View Post
OT In the recent years, the Pajero has been one of the favorite cars with theifs who would steal them (especially in mumbai) and sell them in other states.
And for this single reason alone(lack of immobilizer), one has to admire the guts of people who risk 20L plus bucks on this vehicle.

But yes agree with most of the comments here. A Pajero at a lower price point has the potential to even lure prospective Fortuner owners. This vehicle has tremendous presence(the reason most buy SUV's in the first place), and is quite rugged. At a 15 Lakh odd price point, it will start making immense sense for people who are not afraid to put an SUV to it's intended usage.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks