Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 17:53   #526
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster : Official Launch Report

There are two ways to look at the Duster:

- If one looks at it from a competition to a 12L sedan from a comfort point of view, then for sure, it falls short by a mile
- If one looks at it from an SUV angle, then first of first, we need to keep the 12L sedan comparison angle separate. (I know many will NOT agree)
- Under the SUV scanner, 4WD comparison goes out of the window.
- 7 seating option also goes out of the window.
- What remains is the specific need for a comfortable ride, handling, GC reliable diesel and a go anywhere attitude.
- To summarize, the vehicle is built for particular section of the market.
- I sincerely don't know if the quoted price point is high or low, but with the above requirement, there is simply no other option at this stage.
- May be top end version could have been a bit cheaper.
- Now does having NO option warrant or force one buy this? Thats the question one needs to answer oneself.
- True every one wants his/her cake and eat it too, but here its not an option.
- So one needs ascertain his priority of needs before one can make a decision.

The other thought is the comparison with Ecosport.
- Though we should not speculate before the release, but all I can think is with sub 4m length, space in the Ecosport would be at best similar to Fusion or Jazz (3900m in Length).
- At least I cannot visualize a bigger space with that length.
- In that department I find Duster to be a far more comfortable in the back seat.

- So all in all before accepting or dismissing a vehicle, I would say one should prioritize his/her needs and then re-analyze the positives/negatives of the vehicle.
- The final balance, gives a very clear picture about vehicle in question.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 19:17   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are two ways to look at the Duster...

...- The final balance, gives a very clear picture about vehicle in question.
+1

I did the TD today and totally agree with these comments. I think it is the only option in its class and it does not have a direct competition as of now. Renault may or may not rethink the pricing/options when this product have a direct competition. Till then they will enjoy the unusual rush in their showrooms.

Anyways, we are waiting for GTO's review to make the final decision.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2012 at 23:00. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks :)
Old 15th July 2012, 19:53   #528
BHPian

From the Duster india site, I did a comparison between features of 85ps RxE, RxL and RxL Option Pack.

Is Rs. 1 lac difference justified between variants?

Please see below comparison.

Features in RxL over RxE.(85 ps only)
Functional : Front Fog Lamps , Rear Defogger, Wiper & Washer, Integrated ICE with steering mounted Controls (audio and phone).

Comfort :
Body Colored and Electrically Adjustable ORVMs.
Glove Box Lamp
Rear Seat Center Armrest with Cup holder
12V Accessory Socket (Front & Rear)
Adjustable Rear Seat Head Rest
On Board Trip Computer
Height Adjustable Front Seat Belts
Front & Rear Reading Lamps

Rest is mainly cosmetic.

Features in RxL Option Pack over RxL are ABS, air bags and alloy wheels.
Old 15th July 2012, 19:59   #529
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Point well appreciated.
But personally I would not even consider the lower variants on account of the lack of safety features.
The best buy per se as of this moment would be of course the top spec one, but only if you are ok with a 4 seater plus luggage for both city and highway usage.
The best buy for general city usage would be the 85 PS with full options because of the safety features.
I would not bother with any other trim/ spec level because they are a complete waste of time because Renault for some reason has seen fit to short change India on safety and 4WD.

The same way I would NOT (as suggested earlier) consider 17 L on road a worth while price for the 4WD with Euro spec including all safety kit. I would certainly pay unto 15 L on road for it though.

But this is only my opinion. I may well be in the minority here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
From the Duster india site, I did a comparison between features of 85ps RxE, RxL and RxL Option Pack...

...Features in RxL Option Pack over RxL are ABS, air bags and alloy wheels.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2012 at 23:00. Reason: Please avoid quoting entire posts as it may inconvenience small-screen/mobile users. Thanks :)
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 20:00   #530
BHPian

I was long hunting for a car which had a higher seat , good handling , reliable engine , large boot with an excellent FE , which seemed never possible in this price range . Duster's clearing angles and gc are best suited for a traveller who is not really a hardcore off roader . Thats for jeeps and jypsys to do ( I have a 540 4WD) . Most importantly the looks and the stance ( the height to width ratio) , which you might not be able to find in 10 lakh SUVs available now.

Go through these videos , Duster is a statement in the 4WD avatar.

rageshbhaskar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 20:25   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
The most illogical placement is for the ORVM controls, below the handbrake! Pull up the handbrake and adjust mirrors!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
May be it is designed to prevent the driver from adjusting the ORVM while driving
so that it can be operated only when the vehicle is stationary and the handbrake is up . Just a possibility but I don't think that is actually the case.
Disclaimer here - I haven't seen the car and have only seen the OVRM adjustment button in pictures and video reviews.

Having said that, I can't understand what the big deal is. Even in my Honda City if I have to adjust the OVRMs, I either do it before I start a journey or when I stop at a red light because I have to lean forward to reach the button and look out the window/s to get the desired position. I really can't do all that while driving.

Like Guna says - it's probably a good thing!
Old 15th July 2012, 20:41   #532
Distinguished - BHPian

This thing looks good ! I have seen 3-4 video clips of the Duster on highways and off-roading (incl these), and it definitely looks to be good machine.

Wonder if Renault will bring in the 4x4 too.
Old 15th July 2012, 20:52   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This vehicle is STREETS above the Scorpio in comfort, handling, ride and fit, finish, finesse and quality.

Overall I think Renault definitely deserves appreciation here!

I also believe that the 85BHP version will be more than competent in the city but it might run out of juice on the highway.
Overall at 12.4 lacs on road, the 85 BHP with all options, will be the best buy for consumers to make especially if their primary need is space, safety and in city running.

Agree with you. The duster is miles ahead of Scorp.
Also as you mentioned horn sounds crap. Even the top of the line comes with Single horn.

Overall personally i felt its a damn good car(110 version atleast).

That said some things that bother:
1.Renault brand. A big question mark. Its not been much time of Renault in India. Not sure how would it be accepted by people.This would have serious consequences on resale price.
2.Maintenance. I had a brief chat with SA on service cost.He said it is definitely going to cost more than Pulse and again as per him 10k service for pulse costs 6-7K.
3.Reliability.I am expecting Renault to be decently reliable though not in the league of Toyota,Honda. But as Renault has fewer dealers, this might be a factor to think of.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:00   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Disclaimer here - I haven't seen the car and have only seen the OVRM adjustment button in pictures and video reviews.

Having said that, I can't understand what the big deal is. Even in my Honda City if I have to adjust the OVRMs, I either do it before I start a journey or when I stop at a red light because I have to lean forward to reach the button and look out the window/s to get the desired position. I really can't do all that while driving.

Like Guna says - it's probably a good thing!
It can not be a deal braker but I do like to adjust my Punto's ORVMs while on the go especially when I want to
1. Deflect glaring headlight beams from vehicles following me during night drives
2. Adjust the ORVM in ghats (read: slopes)

If people are to adjust the ORVMs by lifting the handbrake lever, they can very well do them manually before sitting in the car. Why spend the money on such a feature then. more scope for cost cutting.

Again I would have preferred a cheap remote attached to the steering than the control strip hidden behind the steering wheel.

BTW There is a storage area just above the passenger airbag. How safe would it be in case the airbag was to deploy in an unfortunate incident?

Forgot to mention this in my earlier post.
The service schedule is 10000KM or 1 year whichever is earlier. Sales guy claimed that the charges would be approx 7k. First service/inspection is at 1500 KMs. Oil would be replaced during the 10K service.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:06   #535
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. The vehicle being test driven is RxL 110PS, instead of the RxZ other mags have written. What is interesting is the alloy wheels. I thought RxL 110PS comes with steel wheels. May be Renault had given alloys for TD.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:09   #536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Interesting. The vehicle being test driven is RxL 110PS, instead of the RxZ other mags have written. What is interesting is the alloy wheels. I thought RxL 110PS comes with steel wheels. May be Renault had given alloys for TD.
The other thing to notice, is Renuka also talks of 85bhp engine capabilities
while driving. (But she is driving the 110 version).

For a moment it felt like she was testing both.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:21   #537
BHPian

At any rate, I think it's getting a little frustrating that one hears only good things about the 85 bhp (except the lack of outright brute power, which is not something I hugely value anyway), but there's no proper review or first hand account from fellow T-BHP members. This is such an unusual way to keep the suspense up, and just doesn't feel right.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:26   #538
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Unfortunately there is no 85BHP for test. The man says only post 20th can they get one.
I am also waiting for the official review - which will bring out the best and the worst in the vehicle.
Just wonder why it is taking so long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
At any rate, I think it's getting a little frustrating that one hears only good things about the 85 bhp (except the lack of outright brute power, which is not something I hugely value anyway), but there's no proper review or first hand account from fellow T-BHP members. This is such an unusual way to keep the suspense up, and just doesn't feel right.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:56   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other thing to notice, is Renuka also talks of 85bhp engine capabilities
while driving. (But she is driving the 110 version).

For a moment it felt like she was testing both.
I believe they have driven both as they have published the performance figure for both in the print edition of ACI July issue
Old 15th July 2012, 21:57   #540
Senior - BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the official Team-BHP review. Looks like the DUSTER is mainly attracting People away from Sedans, the people who do not want to pay a higher price for petrol, need a vehicle to tackle the broken water-logged roads and want to get into the SUV Club
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks