Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2012, 20:54   #16
BHPian

Re: 2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!

BMW 328i makes a tough case for itself because the competition offers a similar car with similar performance but with the economy of diesel, I am talking about Audi A4 3.0 TDI. Both the cars are priced at 38lacs. 0-100 of both the cars are 6.2 sec and top speed of 250 kmph (locked). 2 big advantages of Audi over BMW here are economy of diesel and a spare tyre, which can very useful in long journey specially more than 200 kms (because that’s the distance BMW claims a run-flat tyre can run even after getting punctured). Decision between Bimmer 328i & Audi A4 3.0 could very well be a decision between Heart & Mind.
Old 27th July 2012, 21:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to drive the 328i Sport and boy did it make go . The acceleration is awesome and the shifts are super quick. The paddles add to the fun. The new 3 series has been softened as well and the ride is pretty good now.

Beautiful car.. if only I had had more time to spend with her

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 27th July 2012 at 21:37.
Old 27th July 2012, 22:00   #18
Team-BHP Support

Mercedes and Audi will not sleep well tonight. This car is one which looks flawless on paper. There is no negative looking at the pics and the specs.

In comparison Audi gives you an underpowered 140BHP engine with a slow lazy CVT box and Merc gives you the C250CDI with an old model 5 speed box, the 320d has the best power output on paper and it now has the 8 speed box! Brilliant stuff. BMW has really gone out with this 3 series.

I only wish they priced the base 320d a little lower and provided the LED light rings for the base model. That will make it complete. :-)

Another shocking omission is the sunroof even on the top end diesel!! This is just atrocious to not offer a sunroof on any diesel variant!!! Same goes for the parking sensors for the front. Why not front sensors for any of the diesels? Do diesel owners not park their cars? How much can it cost to have 4 sensors.
Old 27th July 2012, 22:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639
Another shocking omission is the sunroof even on the top end diesel!! This is just atrocious to not offer a sunroof on any diesel variant!!! .
Actually that is not correct, the luxury plus does have a sun roof.

However, prices are higher than what had been indicated. I had been told Rs. 35 lakhs for the Luxury Plus (except in Bombay where Octroi would take it to Rs. 36.5 lakhs), but it has come in at about 2 lakhs more. Certainly makes it uncompetitive given the discounts still available on the 520 D. Amazingly, rear seat knee room in my driving position is better than the 520D. A major omission in all variants in my view is auto hold - that is there in the C250 CDI and is very useful. I was also told that dealers have very limited stocks of the Sport and Luxury for delivery in August and September - so the Luxury plus pricing seems to be an attempt to cash in on demand from early adopters. I predict big discounts on the Luxury Plus fairly soon.

Wonder if BMW plans a 325 D - at least on paper, the C250 CDI seems much better, but I will wait for a test drive to decide.
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 22:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Another shocking omission is the sunroof even on the top end diesel!! This is just atrocious to not offer a sunroof on any diesel variant!!! Same goes for the parking sensors for the front. Why not front sensors for any of the diesels? Do diesel owners not park their cars? How much can it cost to have 4 sensors.
The earlier spec sheet that leaked mentioned so about the sunroof but the new spec sheet shows sunroof as standard on the 320d luxury plus and the 328i.

Of course, absence of the front PDC sensors on diesel E90's and F30's is something which BMW India only should know!

pEaCe

Last edited by AirbusA340 : 27th July 2012 at 22:42.
Old 27th July 2012, 22:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusA340 View Post
The earlier spec sheet that leaked mentioned so about the sunroof but the new spec sheet shows sunroof as standard on the 320d luxury plus and the 328i.
Am I missing something? The spec sheet on the first post shows sunroof as standard only for 328i not for any diesel variant.
Old 27th July 2012, 22:51   #22
Team-BHP Support

Excellent pictures indeed. Really loved the sportsline styling. And they chose the right color for the launch. The Red number looks both sporty and elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The looks of the F30 are growing on me.
Very true, I was initially thinking that this one is step back (in terms of looks) from the outgoing model, when it was launched here a few months back. But now I will say that Christopher Weil has done an excellent job with the design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-100 View Post
BMW 328i makes a tough case for itself because the competition offers a similar car with similar performance but with the economy of diesel, I am talking about Audi A4 3.0 TDI. Both the cars are priced at 38lacs. 0-100 of both the cars are 6.2 sec and top speed of 250 kmph (locked). 2 big advantages of Audi over BMW here are economy of diesel and a spare tyre, which can very useful in long journey specially more than 200 kms (because that’s the distance BMW claims a run-flat tyre can run even after getting punctured). Decision between Bimmer 328i & Audi A4 3.0 could very well be a decision between Heart & Mind.
Well, 328i is a petrol and A4 3.0 TDI is a diesel, and that too a CBU. On-road pricing will be quite different, and I don’t see both going head to head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Q3 could still eat up into the 3's sales ? People looking for a sedan in that budget could consider the Q3.
Personally I think that 3 and Q3 caters to very different sensibilities.

Quote:
Mercedes and Audi will not sleep well tonight. This car is one which looks flawless on paper. There is no negative looking at the pics and the specs.
In comparison Audi gives you an underpowered 140BHP engine with a slow lazy CVT box and Merc gives you the C250CDI with an old model 5 speed box, the 320d has the best power output on paper and it now has the 8 speed box! Brilliant stuff. BMW has really gone out with this 3 series.
Indeed! It could quite a free run for the 3 until the next gen A4 and C arrives. Infact as an overall package, the only car which could hold up a bit maybe the C250 CDI with AMG trim.
Old 27th July 2012, 23:11   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Am I missing something? The spec sheet on the first post shows sunroof as standard only for 328i not for any diesel variant.
True! It was shown earlier as available only on the 328i but the current spec sheet from the website shows otherwise and have included sunroof on the luxury plus variant also.

pEaCe
Old 27th July 2012, 23:35   #24
BHPian

Will anyone be kind enough to calculate the exact on road price in the NCR territory? According to me the sportline should be about 34.5 L on road in Delhi. Still feels a little over priced if you ask me. If they some how got the ex showroom price below the 30L barrier i think they would have sold many more. Some might say to most people who can afford a bmw it will not matter. I can't speak for the others but if this car was priced at 29.8 L (Sportline) ex showroom i would have booked the car tomorrow without hesitation.

PS. That itself would be stretching my initial (21L for a used Highline) but oh well.
Old 28th July 2012, 00:25   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW has launched its original accessories & a lot of 'M' Performance stuff too for the F 30 range most of which were present at the event ;
Attached Thumbnails
2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!-photo.jpg  

2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!-photo1.jpg  

karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 00:28   #26
BHPian

Great Launch (as it appears initially) by the Bavarian Stable.
The car has potential to stir the market and help retain BMW its Top of the 3 German brands. The other germans have too boring interiors to even think of competing with their existing designs.
Somebody said it right Merc and Audis will have sleepless night and in the morning they should probably be on drawing boards, sooner the better!
The little aesthetic improvements done added stylish dashing to the generation.
The information console may appear a sore pout to some, hope its height isn't hindering the view.
Rest seems fabulous! Kudos

(My query may sound naive, Why aren't paddle shifts given in luxury variant?)
Old 28th July 2012, 00:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Some more stuff from the launch:
2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!-dscf3231.jpg

2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!-dscf3232.jpg

2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!-dscf3233.jpg
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 00:58   #28
BHPian

The 520D has an ex-showroom of 39.90L in Gurgaon with discounts upto 2lacs putting the on road price with BSI (5yrs/60,000kms) somewhere around 45 lacs. I must say that makes a compelling case in the current scenario.
Old 28th July 2012, 01:08   #29
BHPian

Got back from the launch event of the new 3 Series at NCPA in Mumbai tonight. Very well organized by BMW India with their dealers Navnit and Infinity. Extremely impressive audio visual show before the unveiling which incorporated some sort of laser light show which gave the covered cars a 3 Dimensional perspective. No expense was spared for the launch of BMW's most important model in India and infact worldwide, with the best of food and drinks, also a nice marketing kit to carry back which included among the brochures and pamphlets a 1:24 miniature BMW 3 Series model. Tendulkar unveiled the 328i SportLine to much appreciation. BMW definitely has a winner on its hands. Awaiting the test drives in both the 320d and 328i next week.
Old 28th July 2012, 04:52   #30
BHPian

The new 18" Gun-metal finish alloys looks really good! The 328i has got a more aggressive stance now! Just loved it!

Thanks for sharing!

R-Six
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks