Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 22:02   #61
BANNED

Re: 2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!

If you're looking for performance with a diesel go in for the 330d. Mind blowing performance with the economy of a diesel. Shove in your back? It's available on call all the time. Any issues ? Well, it's a CBU for one and secondly it's a hard top convertible.

If you can live with that, look no further for the ultimat in fun.

Unfortunately, BMW has no plans to bring the 335i to India.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 31st July 2012 at 22:08.
Old 31st July 2012, 23:29   #62
BHPian

The pricing of the "luxury plus" seems to be the real sore point where the F30 could lose out. A lot of people putting in 35-40 lacs in the luxury / sport would expect a few more whistles - the bells are there. The pricing of the A4 and C suddenly look inviting, depending on your needs, with their fully loaded versions more than a few lacs cheaper.

What its done for BMW here is, people looking to buy a BMW would gravitate toward the 520d. The on road price Thane for the 320d luxury plus is approx 41 while the 520d with some degree of negotiation yesterday worked to close to 45. The 520d really makes a case for itself here. Still have not closed the deal as the F10 vs F30 debate rages on in my head.
Old 1st August 2012, 11:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
The interiors were fabulous and the iDrive display did not seem materially smaller than the Luxury Plus demo car I had seen earlier. Honestly, I feel this is much better value for money than the Luxury Plus - don't think a sun roof, a marginally larger iDrive screen, a reversing camera and navigation are worth Rs. 5.5 lakhs more (ex showroom).

Very oddly, I received a call from one of the BMW dealers saying I need to decide quickly if I want a 328i as production of the current Sport variant is likely to be stopped - seemed rather odd just one week after launch. But would be glad if this presages a switch to the plain old Luxury.
The 6.5" screen is not a great one to look at, especially after spending big bucks. It seems that many questions at the dealership started off with the iDrive during the E90 sales and no wonder the dynamic also started coming with one. A few ignorant ones out there even think that its not a BMW if the dash doesn't have a screen. I'm exaggerating a bit but it's still a general feeling out there. Personal choice, I'd say!

And, why would the sport production stop so soon? Really weird. Maybe he's into pitching in more bookings. Just my opinion.

pEaCe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb View Post
The pricing of the "luxury plus" seems to be the real sore point where the F30 could lose out. A lot of people putting in 35-40 lacs in the luxury / sport would expect a few more whistles - the bells are there. The pricing of the A4 and C suddenly look inviting, depending on your needs, with their fully loaded versions more than a few lacs cheaper.

What its done for BMW here is, people looking to buy a BMW would gravitate toward the 520d. The on road price Thane for the 320d luxury plus is approx 41 while the 520d with some degree of negotiation yesterday worked to close to 45. The 520d really makes a case for itself here. Still have not closed the deal as the F10 vs F30 debate rages on in my head.
Hyderabad on road prices are touching the stratosphere as usual.

328i on road 46.44L,
320d luxury plus on road 45.25L.

The government should understand that we can afford such prices only when they stop deducting more and more tax. Of course, the well off ones are always there. But I sincerely feel its a rip off.

I'm actually planning for a BMW bicycle for short hops close to my house

pEaCe

Last edited by ajmat : 1st August 2012 at 11:35.
Old 1st August 2012, 12:19   #64
BHPian

Attaching a pic of the coral red leather available in the sports trim in case you are wondering how it might look.
2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!-red.jpg
Old 4th August 2012, 00:48   #65
BHPian

Went over today to Infinity BMW to test drive and then incase I approved to book the 328i in Melbourne Red and guess what I was told, the car model has been discontinued since they imported only around 50 kits and they've sold them out all-India and will only be continuing with the 320d. They said they had one in Imperial Blue which I definitely did not want in that darker blue shade which I don't find sporty and especially since the red stitching and accents inside badly clash with the exterior colour. Anyway I found it really weird that BMW goes though such massive marketing with launching a car in a variant like the 328i in red with the 18" wheels and stuff, much publicised in print and TV ads and even get Sachin Tendulkar to launch it and then when a customer goes over to buy it 5 days after the launch is told that it's no longer available!!! Infact was told the 320d Luxuryline Plus would also not be available soon. Why bother in the first place?! Simply launch the 320d in both the variants. Exercise in futility to simply get the eyeballs.

Tested the 320d and found it to be highly impressive and the engine/power to be adequate. There is noticeable engine clatter outside though not too much inside. The ride and handling was absolutely brilliant. The legroom, kneeroom and headroom is more than adequate even for a 6 footer such as myself. I wanted to get the 328i since the car is only going to be self-driven and besides the awesome engine and reduced noise levels also wanted the additional bells and whistles with the bigger 18" wheels, larger screen with navigation, reverse camera, sunroof and Sport transmission with paddle-shifters. Infact they told me they were only allotted two 328i in red and both were display cars which I may not have bought anyway.

After which I got sticker shock because even though the 320d is 31.5 ex-showroom, the on-road cost in Mumbai is 39lakhs!! The 320d Luxury Plus is 43lakhs and 328i is 46 lakhs on-road!!! All these are Individual registration, for company reg. add 8% more.

However discussing the 328i and 320d Luxuryline Plus are redundant because once they sell the initial CKDs, they will only be selling the 320d in both the versions. I wish for the future BMW has the sense to sell cars which are priced around 40 lakhs with feature one expects at that price like the ones listed above, or atleast have the sense to have a variant which has them. Their earlier approach for the E90 of the Corporate Edition, Dynamic and Highline seemed to work well. I loved the 328i and really like the 320d Sportline version and wish they had like a Sportline Plus which I could buy in the 320d because I would sacrifice the brilliant petrol engine if the car had everything else and would have written them a cheque to book the car for the next lot of CKDs which commences deliveries in a few weeks. I guess I'll wait for total clarity before taking the plunge and going for the 320d Sportline, since the car will not have a lot of the features of the 328i and will still cost 39lakhs on-road.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2012 at 14:27. Reason: Adding line spaces.
Old 6th August 2012, 11:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadwolf View Post
Went over today to Infinity BMW to test drive and then incase I approved to book the 328i in Melbourne Red and guess what I was told, the car model has been discontinued since they imported only around 50 kits and they've sold them out all-India and will only be continuing with the 320d.

... Infact was told the 320d Luxuryline Plus would also not be available soon. Why bother in the first place?! Simply launch the 320d in both the variants. Exercise in futility to simply get the eyeballs.
Has BMW lost the plot here? They have had the perfect product let down by strategy. The pricing for all variants has been good except for maybe the Luxury + 320d. Why launch a car for a week and then discontinue?

This is perhaps jumping the gun since many dealers do mis-represent information. This could very well be a gamble to shift you to a 320d instead of a 328i in the event that one was not available. Only time will tell where things are headed.
Old 6th August 2012, 11:17   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Went over today to Infinity BMW to test drive and then incase I approved to book the 328i in Melbourne Red and guess what I was told, the car model has been discontinued since they imported only around 50 kits and they've sold them out all-India and will only be continuing with the 320d....
Thats what Infinity told a friend of mine too when he wanted to book the 328i. After further clarifications though the higher ups and sending an email to BMW India he was told that the kits imported now had been sold out, and that more kits would come towards the end of the year. But it is certainly not discontinued, BMW is not stupid to do that. Do find out, and check with other dealers one of them will definitely have the red colour.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 11:47   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats what Infinity told a friend of mine too when he wanted to book the 328i. After further clarifications though the higher ups and sending an email to BMW India he was told that the kits imported now had been sold out, and that more kits would come towards the end of the year. But it is certainly not discontinued, BMW is not stupid to do that. Do find out, and check with other dealers one of them will definitely have the red colour.
Akshay what your friend was told, was exactly what I was told and they also told me that the 328i kits "may" arrive towards the end of the year. I know the Infinity owners very well and I told them I don't mind waiting till the end of the year if they were sure as to when the red 328i would be made available for me, to which they clearly told me that they would love to source the 328i in red for me though the limited number of only around 50 cars (328i) introduced on launch pan-India were sold out and there was NO clarity or commitment from BMW as to when the next lot of 328i CKDs would be made available. Infact as I wrote earlier they told me only 2 red 328i were available with them after launch, both of which were display cars, one at the launch event and the other from Atria mall. Therefore although not "discontinued", when the car model is unavailable without any time schedule as to when it would for me to purchase, makes it as good as discontinued in my book. However they did confirm that the next lot of 320d CKDs would be made available from 15th Aug, which they were clearly trying to urge me towards (as elantracrdi05 mentioned), and although I liked the car overall, I found it short on the features I was expecting in the 328i like the bigger lovely screen with navigation, HUD, sunroof, reverse camera, Sport transmission with paddle shifters, beautiful 18" wheels etc. In any case I guess I'll wait for a few months till the end of the monsoon for the initial hype and euphoria to die down and then once clarity emerges either go for the 320d Sportline albeit with the current reduced features on offer as a compromise or wait for the 328i upon their commitment of a timeframe for delivery.
Old 11th August 2012, 12:10   #69
BHPian

Hi,
Has any of our group members got the new 3 series ? And have any one posted their test drive and initial ownership report of the same ? IF so please provide the link.

Last edited by Turbo car : 11th August 2012 at 12:30.
Old 11th August 2012, 15:51   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo car View Post
Hi,
Has any of our group members got the new 3 series ? And have any one posted their test drive and initial ownership report of the same ? IF so please provide the link.
Mine coming next week.

Model - 328i sportline

Color - White

Interior - Coral Red

Cant wait
Old 11th August 2012, 15:57   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Mine coming next week.

Model - 328i sportline

Color - White

Interior - Coral Red

Cant wait
WOW..let me be the first to congratulate you karan !

You got to promise us that you will post all the pictures of the car right from the time of delivery from the showroom to the interiors.

BTW, why didn't you choose 320D sport line ?
Turbo car is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2012, 16:26   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You got to promise us that you will post all the pictures of the car right from the time of delivery from the showroom to the interiors.

Thank You so much.

Yes, hopefully by end of next week should have the pictures posted.

Why the 328i & not the 320d , simply because of the N20 engine
Old 11th August 2012, 23:11   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Drive the 328i and you will know. Infinitely superior driving experience to the 320d. Wish they would launch a ordinary Luxury version of the 328i
Old 11th August 2012, 23:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Akshay what your friend was told, was exactly what I was told and they also told me that the 328i kits "may" arrive towards the end of the year. I know the Infinity owners very well and I told them I don't mind waiting till the end of the year if they were sure as to when the red 328i would be made available for me, to which they clearly told me that they would love to source the 328i in red for me though the limited number of only around 50 cars (328i) introduced on launch pan-India were sold out and there was NO clarity or commitment from BMW as to when the next lot of 328i CKDs would be made available. Infact as I wrote earlier they told me only 2 red 328i were available with them after launch, both of which were display cars, one at the launch event and the other from Atria mall. Therefore although not "discontinued", when the car model is unavailable without any time schedule as to when it would for me to purchase, makes it as good as discontinued in my book. However they did confirm that the next lot of 320d CKDs would be made available from 15th Aug, which they were clearly trying to urge me towards (as elantracrdi05 mentioned), and although I liked the car overall, I found it short on the features I was expecting in the 328i like the bigger lovely screen with navigation, HUD, sunroof, reverse camera, Sport transmission with paddle shifters, beautiful 18" wheels etc. In any case I guess I'll wait for a few months till the end of the monsoon for the initial hype and euphoria to die down and then once clarity emerges either go for the 320d Sportline albeit with the current reduced features on offer as a compromise or wait for the 328i upon their commitment of a timeframe for delivery.
It is not 50 cars. It is 48 cars i.e. 2 packs of 12 cars each. But for sure more 328i will be in the pipeline. Doesn't make sense to homologate an engine/car just to sell 48 pieces out of which 10 would have been already used internally as demos or marketing event cars. There is more in store. A dealer is a dealer. Infinity folks are doing best what they should do... Sell the car that they have in stock.

Wish 335i was on its way as well. BMW sales folks have to take that bold step. I bet there are at least 48 takers in India that would gun for it.
Old 12th August 2012, 01:51   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy

It is not 50 cars. It is 48 cars i.e. 2 packs of 12 cars each. But for sure more 328i will be in the pipeline. Doesn't make sense to homologate an engine/car just to sell 48 pieces out of which 10 would have been already used internally as demos or marketing event cars. There is more in store. A dealer is a dealer. Infinity folks are doing best what they should do... Sell the car that they have in stock.

Wish 335i was on its way as well. BMW sales folks have to take that bold step. I bet there are at least 48 takers in India that would gun for it.
Add the 330d to that list !! BMW India, are you listening ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks