Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 20:40   #106
BHPian

Re: 2012 BMW 3-Series : Official Launch Report!

Thank you very much guys for your quick replies (that was my first post on Team-BHP and I must say that I'm totally impressed )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi_kapoor View Post
I got a quote for INR 91000 plus taxes plus labour to enable it on E90 for F30 this may be more since both trims mentioned by you have smaller screens so even that may be required to replace as well.
Seems like your right, I just spoke to the SE about it today and he told me that it is not possible to add navigation due to the smaller screen size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harusadu View Post
@275 BHP, I bought the Luxury line and i absolutely love it. I don't have any use for maps whatsover so its a useless feature to me but rather than blow a lach on gps functionality, why don't you get one of those clips which attach to the ac vent which hold ur phone in place and then just use google maps?
Congrats on your purchase first of all! Frankly, I don't like adding anything extra to the car because it just spoils the feel of the interiors imo, but guess I don't have another choice (since the luxury line plus is overpriced for what it has to offer) now. The car will be used mainly for outstation drives so I really need navigation. Also, could you please share why you opted for the luxury line trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
A very good and I might add superior navigation tool is Android/Google mobile phone. Only if the car has HUD, then OEM navigation will feel slicker. I considered getting navigation enabled but decided not to and instead purchased an android phone and I am very happy.

Some of the advantages with android phone based navigation:
1. Speed
2. Familiarity
3. Low data cost.....

Of course, the OEM nav will be well integrated, is always powered (no battery headache) and has lot of wow-factor but from a usability point of view I have come to believe that Android mobile will be far better.
Wow! That clearly answers almost all of my questions, thank you very much!
Since I can't enable navigation, the only option is to buy an external gps device and based on your reply even I'm starting to feel an Android phone will be the best solution for this.
Old 29th August 2012, 00:21   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harusadu View Post
@275 BHP, I bought the Luxury line and i absolutely love it. I don't have any use for maps whatsover so its a useless feature to me but rather than blow a lach on gps functionality, why don't you get one of those clips which attach to the ac vent which hold ur phone in place and then just use google maps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
A very good and I might add superior navigation tool is Android/Google mobile phone...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275BHP View Post
320d sportline/luxuryline trims don't have the gps/navigation facility. Any idea if this can be attached separately This is probably the only thing holding me back from booking the ultimat3.

Well the 3 is a different league altogether but I am running MapmyIndia maps in the Caska system made for the Skoda Laura and I find it very convenient. I used to use Google maps in a samsung droid and even Sygic MMI maps in iphone4 but somehow its the MMI maps from the car system which helped me find my way in deserted places without data network connectivity.
Often at times the places where I need to ask for directions, there is no network connectivity and the GPS system in my car is a life saver.
One thing to consider is that I rarely use the GPS device in cities but use it extensively in the highways. I have driven across over a dozen states in India with the in-dash navigation
Old 29th August 2012, 02:31   #108
BHPian

Guys how would u all rate the Audi A4 to this BMW 3 series? I just love the new lights of the Audi A4 and it's over all styling.
Old 29th August 2012, 19:11   #109
BHPian

The factory built Prof Nav on the iDrive is a damn good addition alongside the bigger screen. It adds a feel-good-aesthetic factor to the car every time you use it to drive/show! I mean, why not! It's just like many other features which are not used regularly but still there. How many owners drift their BMW's with DTC off like Jeremy or Jason Plato?! It kind of works the other way round in this part of the earth. Even if you don't drift, a decent spirited drive is enough to smile the entire evening and night at home. So, when you are not pushing your bimmers to their limits, you are at least enjoying your drives with everything there is to see, feel and experience in the cabin. Having more features only makes your car look more good.

Unfortunately, the trims with the smaller screen is a turn off sometimes and not such a good proposition since a lot of non BMW owners look at it from the outside when they stare Its just my opinion but the bigger screen is definitely worth it even to look at the album art whilst playing your iPod.

Again, everything with cars is personal. A few may buy it purely for the drive and the engine. A few definitely for the brand and to shout out the money spent. In all cases, i feel, it's a disadvantage when paying money and not getting the feel-good features even though they are just a few.

At the end of the day, no matter what bimmer you're holding, cornering at speeds, it all magically goes away and suddenly nothing else matters but you and the car alone.

pEaCe
Old 29th August 2012, 19:47   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod_to_odd View Post
Guys how would u all rate the Audi A4 to this BMW 3 series? I just love the new lights of the Audi A4 and it's over all styling.
I had recently TDed the 3 Series and my TD report is available on CarToq. I rate the A4 a better car than the 3 Series mainly due to its spartan interiors and lack of "pampering" features. That apart, they are quite close, as long as you don't compare the brilliant Quattro.

@Mods: Please delete this post if quoting another website is not permitted.
Old 29th August 2012, 22:06   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
My initial impressions as a non-enthusiast and a average Indian customer (imagine I have loads of money in my pocket) of it :

1. Exterior looks nothing out of ordinary.
2. Interiors looks very ordinary.
3. Diesel engine plonked in 184BHp/4000RPM and 380Nm/1750-2750RPM compared that with Cruze 166BHP/3800RPM and 380Nm/2000RPM . This comes at price tag of 28L+ and Cruze at 13L+ .

I do not understand what is which a run-of-the-mill car doesn't give that this gives. All and all a car which feeds ego of one who can afford while providing no value-for-money. It does not stand apart from the pack.

Again this is my personal opinion.
Sure, you have a point in one view. Pricing put aside, the manufacturers have always shown a cold shoulder to the Indian market with regards to the features list, trim options, etc., They could be having their own problems, factory limitations with CKDs in India, etc but that's not my god damn problem when I am writing the cheque. For e.g., around 2007 and '08, lumbar was never offered even in the 5 series & the list continues on every CKD model. It's a tad better these days but still for the money charged, a complete options list is still a thing of the future for us Indians.

Secondly, the pricing, out of sheer bad luck, is a special promotion offer for Indian nationals. We should be extremely proud of our country's policies and the policy makers alike. No one else is to blame!

Thirdly, absolutely true. None of these cars are VFM purely by definition. Hopefully, today's kids will see a better India with lesser money to waste to experience sheer driving pleasure.

pEaCe

Last edited by AirbusA340 : 29th August 2012 at 22:11.
Old 29th August 2012, 22:29   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I had recently TDed the 3 Series and my TD report is available on CarToq. I rate the A4 a better car than the 3 Series mainly due to its spartan interiors and lack of "pampering" features. That apart, they are quite close, as long as you don't compare the brilliant Quattro.

Is the A4 now coming with the same engine as of passat or its older underpowered 140 bhp one?
Old 29th August 2012, 22:39   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Is the A4 now coming with the same engine as of passat or its older underpowered 140 bhp one?
Sadly it still has the 2.0 , 140 bhp unit
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 00:57   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I read your review, and I disagree with a couple of points. Especially where you say the Audi's DSG box is better. Funny thing is the Audi 2.0tdi and 1.8tfsi have a CVT transmission. I'm sure the 8 speed ZF on the 3 is far superior to this in terms of driving pleasure.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:14   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, to add to what Akshay has said, the Quattro is available only on the DSG equipped Audis, not on the base diesel and petrol variants.

Even with the Quattro in place, several purists prefer the traditional front / mid-engined - RWD layout that the 3 is known for. Audis are generally nose-heavy and this translates to quite a lot of understeer whereas the BMW would carve corners without so much as a struggle - in the right hands of course.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2012 at 01:15.
Old 30th August 2012, 02:28   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had recently TDed the 3 Series. I rate the A4 a better car than the 3 Series mainly due to its spartan interiors and lack of "pampering" features. That apart, they are quite close, as long as you don't compare the brilliant Quattro.
The A4 is a 140bhp front wheel drive car with a hopeless CVT auto. Even the Jetta outperforms the A4.

Compared to that the BMW has 184bhp and one of the most advanced ZF-8 gearbox.

If your looking at pampering none of these cars, the A4, 3 or C class come close. The Superb and Passat are ahead when it comes to comfort.

The 3 is all about driving pleasure. In terms of features, even the C class doesn't have a lot of features but these cars are designed differently. The Audi peppers you with buttons and uses the display for everything. You can change a lot of things using the MMI.

The Merc doesn't let you change anything. It has the features but controls them on it's own. The display is used only for radio and multimedia.

The BMW is completely driver focused with all options available to driver. The BMW has a very intelligent iphone interface which lets you use the twitter, facebook apps from the idrive.

Sunroof is the only sore omission.
Old 30th August 2012, 05:21   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev

android phone based navigation:
Very interesting post and I'd really ike to try this. Am using a Samsung S3. Might sound tech unsavvy but is there a specific app you are referring to here for the navigation? Whats the navigation tool you're using?

Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 10:40   #118
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I'm sure the 8 speed ZF on the 3 is far superior to this in terms of driving pleasure.
That is precisely what I too have mentioned in the second para. As a FTD go kart, it is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Even with the Quattro in place, several purists prefer the traditional front / mid-engined - RWD layout that the 3 is known for. Audis are generally nose-heavy and this translates to quite a lot of understeer whereas the BMW would carve corners without so much as a struggle - in the right hands of course.
Well, I agree to disagree here. In fact, I m at Nairobi as we speak (photolog coming up) and drove an A4 Quattro here. It felt better than the 3. As far as corner carving goes, my review clearly says that super fast right and left handers were a pleasure. Is it significantly better than the A4? I do not think so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If your looking at pampering none of these cars, the A4, 3 or C class come close. The Superb and Passat are ahead when it comes to comfort.

The 3 is all about driving pleasure. In terms of features, even the C class doesn't have a lot of features but these cars are designed differently. The Audi peppers you with buttons and uses the display for everything. You can change a lot of things using the MMI.

Sunroof is the only sore omission.
Not just that Vidyut, the cabin quality of the 3 was a big miss. In fact, I could find quite a few components in the cabin poorly fitted and that was a big letdown. I can let go a few features but a plain jane cabin with average quality at INR 40 lac just doesn't cut it with me.

To me, the 3 is only an excellent driver's machine, much like a rally/race car with minimal creature comforts and cabin quality that would otherwise round up the package nicely. Period.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:52   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, I agree to disagree here. In fact, I m at Nairobi as we speak (photolog coming up) and drove an A4 Quattro here. It felt better than the 3. As far as corner carving goes, my review clearly says that super fast right and left handers were a pleasure. Is it significantly better than the A4? I do not think so.
The A4 Quattro is close to 50L on road if not more. India has 2 variants, 2.0TDI and 1.8TSI. Both are front wheeled drive.

Quattro is only for the 3.0TDI but as I said it's way more than even the 328i.

Try comparing the 2.0TDI with the 320d and it maybe a different story altogether.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 11:01   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For the average driver like you and I, the Quattro will give you a great sense of stability and confidence. The electronic trickery will sort everything out for us and it will make us feel like heroes. That's what the Quattro is meant to do.

There are several videos and reviews available on the interweb that illustrate that the A4 and all its variants are nose-heavy and this affects the car's turn-in speeds.

The BMW being a pure RWD car and with it's engine mounted behind the front-axle (as opposed to the Audi's traditionally mounted mill) is a more balanced car around the corners. But you need to be really good and quick with your steering and throttle / brake inputs. In the A4 (Quattro), you can just throw it into the corner and everything will be hunky dory.

If you don't believe me, take the A4 and the 328i to the Buddh and see which car's tyres squeal the most when going around a corner.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks