Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:15   #46
BHPian

Re: July 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Fantastic report GTO (as usual). I wait for this report with the same anticipation as I do for my salary to come in on the 1st day of the month!

Horrible times for Honda. It seems that even with all the discounts, they are just not able to even compete with its rivals. A City-Verna comparison and a Brio-i10 comparison would say it all. I just hope that the diesel engine would do some good for Honda.

Whatever happened to the brand that once ruled the Indian roads with magnificent cars like City and Civic.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:48   #47
BHPian

@thread starter : I cant see the Ford/Honda model by model sales chart in your diagram. Can you please update the same?

Am very much interested in seeing how the Ford "best in class mileage of 32kmpl with 9 new features" Fiesta Class fared this month?? lol
shadows123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:53   #48
BHPian

Just the other day I was seeing tons of new Vista's on the road and guessing why are the sales numbers showing otherwise.

And here you go. An uptick of 3k more sales than last month. That's a good sales number by a very competent car.

One question on the Bolero sales: Does this include the passenger version only or also the van version which is used for transporting milk?
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:58   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
Thanks for the numbers and excellent analysis GTO !!!!
I feel sorry for Fiat, I dont know how can they survive if they sell <1000 cars per month!
Really! It is high-time that FIAT brings in more models to at least try and bring in more numbers. The Panda and the Bravo, if launched, would do around 1000 cars each IMO.

Looking at the numbers, it's the Linea which is doing worse than the Punto. Isn't it time for a Facelifted Linea to be launched?? All in all, I feel FIAT should bring more models (different cars rather than 1.2, 1.3, 1.3 90HP kind of stuff) into their portfolio and this would do a lot of good to their sales.
Old 2nd August 2012, 11:58   #50
Senior - BHPian

So the impact of the manesar lockout is now clearly visible in the sales figure. Maruti is in real trouble due to all that mess in its manesar plant and the loss of around 11000 units in july (as compared to june-12) will add to there troubles. Moreover I strongly believe that its time to say goodbye to SX4 as it ain't bringing any great volumes for the maruti stable.

But the increase in sale of Indica+Vista was not expected by me. Looks like Tata is capitalizing on the poor condition of MSIL nowadays. Well thats great news for Ratan Tata as TML was loosing its market share continously.

Anyways thanx for a superb market analysis GTO. These threads have become a great source to understand the market trends for all of us (and maybe for the companies as well )
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
• Meanwhile, there is a party at HM celebrating the Pajero Sport’s sales. It even overtook the Ambassador!
EPIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
With 2 Kizashis sold in July all over India, nothing much to say about a good car screwed up by MSIL..
One of them was sold in Bangalore. I saw a silver one at Kormangala RTO a week back.
Old 2nd August 2012, 12:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
An interesting month for sales, I'd say.

6. Surprisingly, WagonR sales are 50% more than the i10. A more fuel efficient engine?
I also think so.
Moreover Wagon R is more VFM than I10 and comes with factory fitted CNG .
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:44   #53
BHPian

• Drop in overall volumes.
  • Entry level cars doing poorly (Alto, Eon, Spark, Brio, Nano etc.).
  • Relatively better performance in MUV segment.
If one looks at the above three points, it is possible that the July sales was driven primarily by existing users upgrading to bigger models.

Last edited by amateurpro : 2nd August 2012 at 14:45.
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:49   #54
BHPian

Excellent report.

Any idea how well are the automatic selling ?
This could give an idea how people are responding to automatics since maruti also has joined the automatic club in small cars with the A-Star.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:04   #55
BHPian

Honda have completely lost the plot on how to handle the Indian market place in the face of worthy competition.

I think the issue is not so much as taking the competition head on or quality, rather it's Honda's cold Japanese arrogance and aloofness that stands out in stark contrast to the marketing push made by almost all the other brands in India.

Honda has a huge fan base and still commands a healthy respect for their quality and robustness, but what has often hit home harder for most buyers and long term owners, is their absurd After Sales Service rates, stuffy attitude and absolute zero marketing pitches. They desperately need a complete overhaul in their marketing and strategy departments to tap their strengths
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:25   #56
BHPian

Quote:
With 2 Kizashis sold in July all over India, nothing much to say about a good car screwed up by MSIL. And maybe there is truth in the rumours about 5L discount on the K.
Even these 2 must be corporate gifts to some minister or such high profile individuals. A friend was telling me that MSIL has made it compulsory to dealership principles to buy Vitara for own use.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd August 2012 at 15:28. Reason: Fixing quote
ramesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:27   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
@thread starter : I cant see the Ford/Honda model by model sales chart in your diagram. Can you please update the same?
I can see the numbers of Ford, Honda and all other manufacturers just fine. Please check. If you still face an issue, do email me a screengrab (email address in my signature).

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:51   #58
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Thanks GTO and parrys for all the hard work M-o-M!

Good to see the XUV5OO breaking into the top-20. Its possibly the costliest car in the top-20. For a car costing ~16L, clocking numbers which qualify in the top-20 is amazing.

The D1 and D2 segment charts make for good reading every month. These are good examples of a good product beating the hell out of everybody else in their segment.
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:03   #59
BHPian

Honda may also be suffering from over-exposure as far as City is concerned. In my apartment complex, Honda City is the most visible car among sedans; that too in silver color. If I were in the market today for a petrol Sedan, I won't be considering Honda City for this very reason alone. There was a time when it was an aspirational car but no more.
Old 2nd August 2012, 16:29   #60
BHPian

These days, I am seeing more and more Etios on the road as Taxi's. I guess the Toyota reliability factor may draw more taxi operators to buy Etios, but which may put off individual's buying it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks