Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2012, 03:49   #91
BHPian

Re: July 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Great detailed report GTO! Good to see Maruti vehicles at the top and the sad part being Ritz in the top losers. Looking at the constant growing competition in the automobile market, Maruti still holding the top position is creditable. Hats off to their hunger to be the best!
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 09:31   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
What must be the reason for below points

1. Why Mahindra not completely modernise the Bolero , kind of Full Model Change. I believe after selling more than half million or so numbers it should be possible to any manufacturer to go for Full Model Change. Should we take it that Mahindra themselves are not confident enough that they can come out with a better vehicle and sell more too ?

2. Why other domestic players do not adopt similar product offering especially TATA and Force ? , Have they completely missed to understand the USPs of Bolero ?
The kind of sales the Bolero is bringing home (for whatever reason), Mahindra would think twice before changing it.

There was some sales dip with the launch of Sonalika Rhino & Tata Sumo Gold, but 3-4 months down the line, it fizzed out and the Bolero's sale spiked again.

From what folks say who have owned both the versions of the Bolero (the older Di and the newer M2Di), the older was more reliable, fuel-efficient and they regret selling the old version. And re-sale? How does 5L sound for a 4 year old Bolero done 90,000kms?

For the record, the dealership at my place sold close to 200 Boleros on Dhanteras and on any odd day (depending upon availability) sells 5-10 each.

Try to sell that crowd the Xylo D2 or E2/E4 and they threaten to walk out of the showroom.

Both Tata & Force are capable of launching vehicles which at this point should be superior to Bolero as a product, but may be the masses don't want that.

But there comes a saturation point for each product and I think 2-3 years down the line (with roads improving) it should be just that.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 10:14   #93
BHPian

Excellent data as usual presented in a great manner. Just wondering whether Tata dumped their dealers with Manza and Vista this month anticipating shift from people who had booked dzire and swift. My friend who is waiting for the Dzire vdi checked out the Manza with a few dealers. The dealer said that there are so many vehicles available in transit and can be delivered within a week's time. In earlier cases when Manza/Vista were really doing well, a color would take at least 15-45 days in chennai for delivery/ It would be interesting to see the numbers for vista/manza next month.
Old 4th August 2012, 11:24   #94
BHPian

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (such as Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

July 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

July 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

July 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

July 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Cars steadily gaining market share (over a period of last 6 months):
Hyundai i20
Hyundai Verna
Chevrolet Cruze
VW Jetta
MS Ertiga

Cars steadily losing market share:
Honda City
Hyundai Eon
Honda Brio
jessie007 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th August 2012, 04:21   #95
BHPian

The Duster launch has kick-started the Compact SUV segment, and with the EcoSport coming, things are about to get really interesting. Of course, the sedan segment (Rapid, Vento etc.) will recover from this as it always has, the class-conscious Indian market would not ditch the 3-box formula in a hurry. But, hopefully, the foothhold that the Duster has created for the compact SUVs will continue to grow. This, along with the sustained success of products like the Ertiga in the compact MUV segment, would certainly help the Indian market towards greater maturity, encouraging manufacturers to bring in greater variety in their offerings. Finger crossed for the Duster then
Old 6th August 2012, 09:36   #96

Declinging sales of Vento+Rapid was a surprise particularly considering the recent success of Rapid. Could this be due to the manufacture of LHD Vento for export to the middle east (as well as RHD ones for South Africa)? Excluding export figures, the VW plant appears to be operating at 60-70 % capacity (of 130000). Is there any inside track into how many of these cars are being exported?
Old 6th August 2012, 10:26   #97
BHPian

i hope the Face lifted figo has rear power window and better GC too and i am sure there would be lot more buyers, just saw one more lathangi ford showroom open near JP nagar bangalore. hope they have a service centre too there.
Old 6th August 2012, 11:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Great and timely reporting. Thanks GTO.
Good to see Mitsubishi in the top two in at least one segment (though this may be for a few months only).
About Bolero, the figures will include Bolero pickup truck too.
This is probably the best people mover/ luggage mover in the market for rough use.
My BIL is looking for a new people mover and he does not have any options other than Bolero (despite having a Bolero pickup).
They don't need AC or power steering or soft-touch plastic. They need a rugged vehicle which can carry loads of construction equipment and material.
Old 6th August 2012, 15:57   #99
BHPian

Pretty intriguing to see Tatas make up for the last month's disaster. The monsoon offer working really well for them. Next month, Maruti's troubles + some kind of monsoon offer should work for them.

Rest all car makers especially the low volumes ones are in deep trouble. God only knows how will they come out of the rut. Maybe the upcoming festive season will help.

Cheers
Old 7th August 2012, 18:26   #100
BHPian

I think FIAT will end up like INTEL in the computer industry. All engines will be provided by them and cars will be built upon by others. That's the only way they can sustain profitable operations in India. I am mighty scared now as I just bought a TJET and wonder if FIAT will be around in 5 years time !
Old 8th August 2012, 06:03   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rganeshiyer View Post
I am mighty scared now as I just bought a TJET and wonder if FIAT will be around in 5 years time !
As a fellow Linea owner I share your concern, but on the lighter side Intel is still there and strong and probably dictating terms to OEMs.
Maybe in near future we might see FIAT putting a term with other manufacturers "Accept our cars in your service centers or forget MJD in your cars".

Wishful thinking ...
Old 8th August 2012, 12:16   #102
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 8th August 2012 at 14:15.
drbones is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th August 2012, 13:23   #103
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

---snip---
Great stuff as always. I have one request. In the opening post, is it possible to label each jpeg?

For eg.
Top 20 cars by sales volume
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/145887.jpg

Top 20 with YoY movement
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/145888.jpg

etc.

This will greatly help. First time one goes through all the jpegs, but later on if I want to relook one of the charts, it's difficult to remember which one it was.

Last edited by carboy : 8th August 2012 at 13:28.
Old 9th August 2012, 23:29   #104
BHPian

My apologies if this is a naive question, but is there a reason why the sale numbers of car companies such as Mercedes, Audi, BMW are not reported?
Old 10th August 2012, 10:27   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Motors, the owner of Jaguar Land Rover, reported profit that missed analysts' estimates as demand for its luxury vehicles slowed.
Net income rose 12 percent to 22.45 billion rupees ($407 million) in the three months ended June 30, the Mumbai-based company said in a statement on Thursday. That missed the 27.3 billion rupee median of 35 analyst estimates compiled by Bloomberg
http://europe.autonews.com/apps/pbcs...wing-jlr-sales
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks