Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2012, 23:46   #76
BHPian

re: Honda to Launch BRIO Automatic by Diwali EDIT - Clear Pics on Pg 7 & 10

that doesn't tell you anything because there is no standard format. Some auto cars have only an L option apart from D. Others can all ratios below top as separate detents in the shift lever's travel. Others have only the bottom 2 or 3 but no way to force a selection of the higher gears. Others still have 2 less than the total number of ratios, with the top 2 available in D depending on selection of O/D switch.

These pictures do not tell us that the Indian market Brio is definitely a 4 speed.
Old 26th September 2012, 05:26   #77
BHPian

I'm sorry to say but why is everyone so much against 4 spd AT in Brio? IMHO that would be good enough forthis hatch. My '02 Camry is 4 spd and so was my 01 Civic. I never felt the "need" for the fifth in these cars.

Just my 2 cents..
Old 26th September 2012, 05:58   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
IMHO that would be good enough forthis hatch.
Well, if Honda can sell the Brio with a five speed (actually presets) CVT in Thailand, and they give us only four speeds here in India, that means they are deliberately shortchanging the Indian market. That leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I suspect the same is true for many other BHPians.
Old 26th September 2012, 07:06   #79
Team-BHP Support

Honda to Launch BRIO Automatic by Diwali EDIT - Clear Pics on Pg 7 & 10-dsc_1049_770.jpg

It is strange that they would make some changes for India. Here's the gearbox pic form the Thai version.

Also, D3, D2, D1 does not mean 4 speed AT. It just means the gearbox allows you to preset a fixed ratio for uphill, downhill driving. You don't need manual control for every gear.
Old 26th September 2012, 08:01   #80
BHPian

4-speed A/T should be sufficient for the Brio. Given how price sensitive the Indian market is, I don't blame Honda if they come out with a four-speed A/T. It is not short-changing Indian customers. Rather, adapting to the Indian market conditions.

The way I see it, the reason A/T is not getting popular in India is due to its high prices, and A/T being available only in the highest trims. If cars in A and B segment had A/T too, it would be more popular.

I remember when Kinetic Honda was launched as automatic gears. At that time, almost all scooters in Indian market were geared ones. And kinetic Honda was launched in an affordable price bracket. The same can be repeated in cars too, if cars like Alto, Indica, Swift etc started sporting A/T across all trims. It would make good sense in our crowded roads.
Old 26th September 2012, 09:25   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It is strange that they would make some changes for India. Here's the gearbox pic form the Thai version.

Also, D3, D2, D1 does not mean 4 speed AT. It just means the gearbox allows you to preset a fixed ratio for uphill, downhill driving. You don't need manual control for every gear.
Thanks for the blown up pic of the Thai AT. It was not clear from my post.

One thing we leave out often is that these modes are very handy for getting out of mud/slush and hill driving. In hill driving you may not want freqnet shifts as the terrain changes, also coming downhill you should try and get engine braking if you do not want to cook your brakes. Could be that D3 may not support this (D prefix) but 2 and 1 should.

As for the ratios in a CVT it is a matter of programming. and no mechanical changes are required.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:16   #82
BHPian

Looks like Indian AT setup is better suited - for inferior Indian traffic conditions.

The S mode in Thai is a Sports mode, that simply shifts late - not required in inferior Indian road conditions.
Old 26th September 2012, 13:11   #83
BHPian

Right, so we established the difference between a 4 speed and 5 speed CVT is only in the software. So how do we (as in laymen) differentiate one from the other? Or do we just go by what is said in the brochure?
Old 26th September 2012, 13:25   #84
BANNED

As long as Rubber Banding does not rear its ugly head in a significant way I do not care. I have grown up with the Maruti 3-speed (in Zen), Hyundai 4 speed (actually 3+1), and the Honda Five speed with paddle shifts etc. Only not met up with a Dual Clutch animal yet.

Last edited by sgiitk : 26th September 2012 at 13:26.
Old 26th September 2012, 17:14   #85
Senior - BHPian

For CVT, does the 'number of gears' actually matter, Its almost infinite banding right?

Or are you referring to the RPM presets for the system? IIRC, that is the most significant, 'preset' one can do for CVT apart from the tricky torque convertor.
Even if it is this preset, I donot think this is anything to worry about, since the practical impact would be minimal, as they are definitely going to tune it within the engines sweet spot RPM range.

Coming to D3,D2 etc, as Vid6639 has already mentioned, those are just for the uphill/downhill tasks which again is achieved internally using change in preset selection. Ideally recommended only for specific driving scenarios like pulling up from stuck ground, start on uphill etc.

Would like to hear if its something else, that is meant by the 4-5 speed mentioned here.

Kindly excuse if this is Off Topic.
Old 26th September 2012, 18:03   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Contradictory statement! CV stands for continuously variable
Thanks for the correction. My reference was a couple of Thai websites, and posted that.

By the way, I saw this mentioned in one of the website - on Thai Brio specs.

1.2 1,198cc SOHC I-VTEC petrol manual only: 66kW (90PS) at 6,000rpm / 114 Nm (84 lb ft) torque at 4,900rpm
5-speed manual: 25 mph per 1,000rpm in 5th.
7-ratio CVT-7 automatic transmission 25 mph per 1,000rpm in 6th
1.2 petrol 5-speed manual: 0-60 11.5 seconds (est); top speed 110mph (est); combined mpg: 63; CO2 emissions: 110g/km (est)
1.2 petrol 7-speed CVT-7: 0-60 13 seconds (est); top speed 110mph; combined mpg: 55 (est); CO2 emissions: 120g/km (est)

Source
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 18:04   #87

I have three friends waiting for this. A superb engine mated to an automatic. What is the expected price(rough idea) difference variant to variant.
Old 27th September 2012, 09:44   #88
BANNED

There are some vague rumours that the markup to the manual may be as low as 70,000. Will take pants off many competitors.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 10:33   #89
BHPian

Ex-showroom prices of i10 in Pune from the Hyundai India website:

Sportz AT GLS (Metallic) 533,882
Sportz Option (Metallic) 506,756

That is a price difference of Rs. 27,126.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
There are some vague rumours that the markup to the manual may be as low as 70,000. Will take pants off many competitors.
Old 27th September 2012, 10:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Ex-showroom prices of i10 in Pune from the Hyundai India website:

Sportz AT GLS (Metallic) 533,882
Sportz Option (Metallic) 506,756

That is a price difference of Rs. 27,126.
I think we should compare the following:

Sportz GLS(Metallic) 475,486
Sportz AT GLS(Metallic) 533,530

There is difference of 58000 appx. (prices ex showroom Kolkata from Hyundai India website)

I shall be happy if they price the Brio V AT below 6 lakhs ex showroom. The i10 Asta is around 6.26 lakhs , but has a lot more gizmos onboard. Crucial ones include rear wiper and defogger.

Last edited by blackasta : 27th September 2012 at 10:50.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks