Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2012, 22:29   #16
BHPian

Re: Mercedes B-Class launched @ 21.49 Lakhs : Official Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash_1 View Post

Also, couldn't help notice the typo. Isn't that supposed to read 'Brake' or is this something totally new?
Not a typo. The brake lights are actually modulated based on a speed and safety scale.

Link to information page.

Sometimes these small design considerations make you smile
SASproject is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 22:59   #17
BHPian

Glad to see these cars coming to India but honestly from the front it looks like a older gen A3 that was knocked off by hyundai or some Korean company. This car has a good looking interior though, sporty and simple.
Old 18th September 2012, 23:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

Great report Parrys, thanks for sharing. The B looks nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASproject View Post
Not a typo. The brake lights are actually modulated based on a speed and safety scale.

Link to information page.

Sometimes these small design considerations make you smile
It is indeed a typo, It mentions Break instead of Brake
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 01:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

When I first heard of it, it seemed suicidal to launch a van/hatch for 25 lakhs but in crowded urban areas, this will carve out a small niche for itself with existing Merc/lux owners who want a nimble city car with snob value.

But still an X1 or a Superb at the same price will outsell it 10 to 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I think they maybe targeting wealthy lorry owners who understand exactly what a 'break light' is.

Last edited by Mpower : 19th September 2012 at 08:13.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I have a feeling that both A and B Class will be accepted well by the Indian public.

Husband: BMW 5 Series
Wife: Maruti Swift

But not any more!

Expect both A and B Class to be the second luxury car for lots of customers.
This car would definitely be an upmarket alternative to the rich folks who want a smaller car for their wife and for daily errands. After reading the speculated prices initially the actual pricing of the B-class seems competitive and will do fairly well IMO. However, I just hate those wheels. They look really odd and Mercedes should have stuck to the AMG style wheels which they had on the test/display car earlier.

What I truly hope is that Merc bring in a manual A-class with a similar feature list and price it on par with the Cruze and likes. That is going to be the replacement for my car.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:42   #21
BHPian

Can't help but it looked so much like Ertiga, slightly bulgy. This is certainly for well healed who would want to go shopping/taking kids to school but not in their "long" Audis/Beamers/Mercs. I liked the a/c vents and the 40:60 foldable seats. Though the engine seems underpowered but could be something which it has been tuned to provide a better fuel efficiency.

I second the comment made by @smartcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Husband: BMW 5 Series
Wife: Maruti Swift

But not any more!
Old 19th September 2012, 02:18   #22
BHPian

Kudos to Merc for creating a new segment, I hope it does well and by that convinces other manufacturers to bring in their True Hot hatches(A3,Golf gti,megane) atleast as a halo product. Great pricing and feature list, but 1.6/122ps engine?
Hope the A-class is priced below 15L.

Just wondering: the report says Local assembly would start later and price might not go down. Does that mean the manufacturer has priced it for CKD model and absorbing the CBU's additional excise?
Old 19th September 2012, 02:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just for a recap,what you get on the B180 Sport compared to the base version.

1.Merc logo in the centre of the grille.
2.Grille has those 2 louvers,and chrome finished.
3.Different design pattern in front air-intakes,and chrome inserts in rear.
4.Stainless steel exhaust finish tailpipes.
5.Panoramic Sun roof.
6.17 inch 7 spoke sport wheels.
7.Bi-Xenon headlamps,headlamp cleaning system,and DRLs
8.Electrically adjustable drivers seat
9.Ash wood inserts(what is matrix look?)
10.Contrast stitching,with Artico.
11.Stainless steel sport pedals.
12.Artico missing from Shift lever,Steering wheel,and door Centre Panel.
13.AC Nozzles without silver-finish.

The base version is really the Corporate B here.If they have sold 250 cars already then i must be wrong,but i just dont see any USP of this car.The design looks a bit lumpy,its not that good looking as an A-class,its underpowered and no diesel offering with probably the shortest feature-list of a Mercedes.

The corporate 3 series had an USP,it was a 3 series! The X1 because it offered good ground clearance,good space inside,mini SUV looks and a stonking diesel.Corporate A4 because it offered excellent space,did not cut down on too many features,and still looked excellent with those LEDs.

Last edited by avishar : 19th September 2012 at 02:57.
Old 19th September 2012, 07:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

1.6 L Petrol !! It will not be a success.

The X1 / Superb / Fortuner are cars that people start looking at around the 22 - 25 lac segment and this is underpowered / small.

I would go for an X1 anyday.
Old 19th September 2012, 08:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta5 View Post
Just wondering: the report says Local assembly would start later and price might not go down. Does that mean the manufacturer has priced it for CKD model and absorbing the CBU's additional excise?
That should be the case. It was mentioned in the previous report on the B-Class unveiling @ Buddh (link)
Quote:
The B-Class will be launched as a CBU, thus inviting high import taxes. Over a couple of years, production will be moved to CKD. The price will remain unchanged though; Mercedes is going to absorb costs initially, to keep the CBU model priced at Rs. 25 lakh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
The base version is really the Corporate B here.If they have sold 250 cars already then i must be wrong,but i just dont see any USP of this car.The design looks a bit lumpy,its not that good looking as an A-class,its underpowered and no diesel offering with probably the shortest feature-list of a Mercedes.
The corporate 3 series had an USP, it was a 3 series! The X1 because it offered good ground clearance,good space inside,mini SUV looks and a stonking diesel.Corporate A4 because it offered excellent space,did not cut down on too many features,and still looked excellent with those LEDs.
Feature-wise, the regular B-180 is quite loaded, compared to the standard corporate editions. I will say the trimlines are quite similar to how Audi has given with the Q3. What is entry-level here is the engine option given. But that again is not much of a problem, especially since the allotted 250 nos are already sold off. I feel the car will do well, once the full range (including diesels – 180/200 CDI) is introduced next year. This car scores high on space, quality interiors and luxury (much more than the current CE versions of X1 or 3). I will say, this is more like a Honda Jazz in the luxury space
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 08:52   #26
Team-BHP Support

The fact that Mercedes is targeting customers who probably already own a few luxury cars is proof enough that a diesel is the last thing they wanted to bring here. Why do you need a diesel car when your running is going to be limited to 300 km a month? After all, they are looking to sell these to people who want 2nd or 3rd car for their wife / family and use it for running errands. This car is certainly not for the first-time Mercedes (or for that matter any luxury offing) buyer.

From the pictures, it looks to be very spacious inside. The engine and performance should be more than adequate. And I'm sure the quality and fit / finish should out-class the X1. Plus, the versatility that it has on offer is quite brilliant.

What the B is, is a 'luxury' Ertiga without a 3rd row of seats. And that isn't particularly a bad thing for someone looking for a 2nd or 3rd car to give the 530d and the Q7 some company.
suhaas307 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2012, 09:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

Sorry about my earlier goof up.

The B seems appealing. Even a few first time Merc buyers liked it and said they would consider buying it.

Believe it or not, I know a family that are getting the B as a replacement for their Nano. They have the nano for quick drives to the market close by. And now thats being replaced by the B because it seems spacious and yet not too big to drive around. I dont really get their logic. Im sure the chauffeur wont be complaining though.
Old 19th September 2012, 09:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

The B looks extremely well built and more plush than the X1. But isnt the X1 diesel just 2 lakhs more than the B- Petrol ? in that case why would someone opt for a petrol even if its a 2nd or 3rd car?

anyway as long as Merc is not looking at volumes from this model, it doesnt matter. somehow felt, they could have priced this better + a diesel heart to tap those young buyers who would use this as their primary drive
Old 19th September 2012, 12:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

We have been seeing Mercs used mostly by diplomats/elderly businessmen driven around by uniformed driver, thourgh 80s 90s. This has created an impression of Merc as an uncle's car. Also, Mercs' boring boxy looks through 80s and 90s further cemented this opnion. The result being, Merc is completely overshadowed by BMW/Audi which are preferred by youngsters.

But looking at B-Class, it is apparent that MB hasn't learnt its lesson. God, how boring and plain-jane does it look from all angles! Mercedes wants to fight BMW/Audi with this? They need all the luck in the world to win.
Old 19th September 2012, 12:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Link to ACI test drive report of the B-Class:

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...est-drive.aspx
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks