Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 11:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP Pics & Video - 2013 Force Gurkha

@D-nav, Gurkha is a 3-door SUV like the Gypsy & Thar. It is the Judo which is 5-door one.
Old 16th October 2012, 21:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Saw the Force Gurkha on test today.
Thanks for the scoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
Guys some new insider info. Engine on test is a 2.6L BSIII Traveler engine with 75-80 PS power, 220Nm torque.
So still no OM611....

Come Dec it will be exactly 5 years since I started following the Gurkha, and I've been hearing about the OM611 powered Gurkha since then - it is like Bigfoot. Every one talks about it, someone claims sighting it, but no one is sure if it is real or not

I actually tried to buy a 4x4 GAMA with PS and AC (must be a thread on it somewhere here) back in 2009. Lets just say that despite a very understanding local dealer, a helpful FM who put in a word for me with Force and talking to several higher ups at Force (including the factory floor manager for the GAMA) it was finally concluded that the configuration I wanted could not be made :sad:

I've met several Traveller and Cruiser owners during my trips to the dealer, and I must say that they all had only good things to say about their vehicles and about Force A-S-S. I hope Force gets its act together and makes a Gurkha that gives serious competition to the Thar.

Cheers

Last edited by H3LIOS : 16th October 2012 at 21:57.
Old 17th October 2012, 18:53   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3LIOS View Post
Thanks for the scoop.
This makes an interesting reading , i am very happy and excited for once again owing the Gurkha.But one thing bothers me is that if Force Motors relaunch it with a new engine after some time will not be the old one with 2650fti engine be too obsolete in front of the om611 engine. what shall be maximum horsepower of the relaunched Gurkha .

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th October 2012 at 20:14.
Old 17th October 2012, 21:48   #34
BHPian

Well, the Force Motors site already lists a 4wd Gurkha with a 2.6L BS3 engine. So is this just a cosmetic upgrade with a red paint, Force One's alloys, roof rails, and a slightly different grille? Or has Force started selling it in red colour, and somebody who just took delivery switched to One's alloys?

Last edited by Yeldo : 17th October 2012 at 21:49.
Old 17th October 2012, 21:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

how would the Gurkha perform with the Force One's engine? 2.2liter, 32kgm of torque and 140ps. Sounds lovely!!!
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:59   #36
BHPian

There is a lot of discussion on the looks of the Gurkha here. Whilst I would be happy to see better looks, I would be more interested in the functional aspects of this.

1. I don't know why the Gurkha should only have 3 doors. I am sure many people would reject this capable machine because it has only 3 doors. I'd like to see a 5 door version which is more acceptable to the market. I am sure the G-wagen doesnt sell with 3 doors.

2. I always hated the steering position of Force Trax. Looks like a 20 year old steering. Even the Ambassador came with better steering position from Nova onwards. How difficult is it to put a U-Link in the steering assembly to adjust positions. I am not sure if any of the existing owners of Gurkha/Judo has modded this to give a better steering position?

Friends , please share your thoughts.

- Cuatro
Old 23rd October 2012, 13:20   #37
BHPian

Tentative SOP (Start of production) is slated at 15 december, also loads of new parts are laser cut to improve overall quality... still not clear is engine is BSIII or BS IV.. will keep updated of future development
007 Bond is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:13   #38
BHPian

There was a 5 door version of the 2400 mm wheel base , but the second set of doors looked real weird with slide across type windows (not wind up and down) .

I really hope that with the new Gurkha , they try to arrest rattling, poor fit and finish, shoddy workmanship, low quality beadings and bushes and all that ails the Gurkha.

With regards to the body of the Gurkha (or judo or Gamma) , I have always wondered how some thing so simple can be made so badly.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro View Post
I don't know why the Gurkha should only have 3 doors. I am sure many people would reject this capable machine because it has only 3 doors. I'd like to see a 5 door version which is more acceptable to the market. I am sure the G-wagen doesnt sell with 3 doors.
A 5-door long wheel base version was available till 2007. It was called Judo. It has been replaced by the Gama, which looks almost the same but doesn't come with diff locks or snorkel or AC or PS. There a White Judo in my town, I drool whenever it passes by

Here is a pic of the Trax Judo:
SCOOP Pics & Video - 2013 Force Gurkha-trax_judo_4x4_02s.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Tentative SOP (Start of production) is slated at 15 december, also loads of new parts are laser cut to improve overall quality... still not clear is engine is BSIII or BS IV.. will keep updated of future development
Great news. What about pricing, any insider info? Also, do you by any chance know why Force is not giving the OM611 in the Gurkha? Is it because of the cost alone, or are there other concerns too?

Cheers.
Old 25th October 2012, 01:59   #40
BHPian

Hope this is not a fake news.
This is going to be my next ride in town.Hoping to get hold of one in 2013.
I will be keenly following up this thread.

thanks
MSVG
Old 21st November 2012, 10:03   #41
BHPian

Saw a red Gurkha again today. Was coming out of the factory gate when I spotted it!

Took out the phone to capture pics and then I was reminded that I have lost my phone and the one which I am using now has a 1.3 mega pixel camera!! So just kept the phone aside and enjoyed seeing the vehicle in the rear view mirror.

It has a lovely stance! The seats appeared to be well cushioned. And the red color, for a change, was looking awesome on the Gurkha. Even wife liked it!!

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 11:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, I went with my Gurkha to the Force A.S.S. in Gurgaon to get some preventive maintenance work done. The jobs I requested were:
1. Replacement of Tie Rod Ends,
2. Replacement of ends of other suspension components,
3. Replacement of Front Shock Absorbers (They were not leaking or anything, but I was feeling a loss of firmness),
4. Replacement of AC-PS belt (Slight signs of wear due to misaligned pulley, which was also corrected alongside)
5. Replacement of Engine Mounts (One of them was beginning to show signs of wear)
6. Replacement of Gear Lever Bush
7. Vehicle Diagnostic using their Laptop (The EDC Light was not showing but I usually get a periodic diagnostic done and re-adjust the throttle if it has changed)
8. Vehicle Washing and Greasing of Shaft, Cross, Suspension etc.
All the above items are within the purview of what is called "Running Repairs" by Force.

I deposited the vehicle at 10.30 a.m. and was committed delivery at 5 p.m. I received the vehicle at 5.30 p.m. with all the jobs addressed to my satisfaction. Billing took about 8-10 minutes. Point to note is that the A.S.S is Gurgaon primarily caters to Commercial vehicle customers, and I am one of their extremely rare Personal vehicle customers, if not the only one!
The A.S.S had all the necessary replacement parts with the exception of the Shock Absorbers, because they had run out of stock on that one. However, the Service Station themselves procured the Shock Absorbers from a Force Parts Dealer in Gurgaon (The original Gabriels) and fitted the same.
The AC-PS belt, I knew from beforehand that the A.S.S doesn't stock, so I always procure replacement reserves from Kashmere Gate. This is the only part I gave them when depositing the vehicle.
The total cost of above job work including parts, was Rs. 3988/-!!!
The Service Advisor even gave me a mid-day call to update the job status and ETA, since I had requested him to do so in the morning.

So, the reader by now must be thinking why I posted this experience here on this thread. The reason is that I believe that the Readership of this thread has some degree of interest in vehicles manufactured by Force Motors and may even be considering one for purchase, particularly the new Gurkha. So, I decided to share a generic/common service experience with Force, for the benefit of the readers here.
Over a period of time, I have observed and appreciated that the A.S.S may stock some parts in short supply, but they usually make a hell of an effort to procure the same from other A.S.S (Rama Road Delhi) or other Parts Dealers. I have not seen other Company A.S.Ss do the same at all. I guess, the part and labour pricing is reasonable enough as well.

In fact, many of you might think of it as a crazy idea to own not just ONE, but TWO Force Vehicles for Personal Use, considering their general reputation and perception, both on this Forum and the industry; but I am indeed eagerly awaiting the 4x4 Force One to be launched, and if it meets my requirements, I'll definitely add it to my garage! I really hope that the new Gurkha doesn't disappoint those who are awaiting it. Mine certainly is superb fun to drive and own.
Attached Thumbnails
SCOOP Pics & Video - 2013 Force Gurkha-gurkha_corbett.jpg  

Last edited by roy_libran : 21st November 2012 at 11:37. Reason: Added a current pic :)
roy_libran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 11:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is a good scoop and can be pretty much a comeback vehicle for Force in the personal vehicle segment. The Trax / Gama / Judo and all its variants have been very rugged and reliable work horses and if there is significant improvement in the powertrain and interiors then it should easily tick the right boxes among private users.

The only fly in the package is the ability of Force motors to sell their able beasts. IMO apart from the Traveller which has more of a PULL demand, their efforts to sell other vehicles is pretty lackluster.

Another point to that would be why not use those exclusive showrooms set up for the Force One and sell Gurkha and other UVs under this network. This will not only bring all their SUVs under one stable but also improve the viability of these dealerships since less said the better on the Force One sales.
Old 21st November 2012, 11:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

^ Girish - They have set up exclusive showrooms in some places at least and if you go to the Rama Road Service Dealership in Delhi, they have set up an entire section in the A.S.S to cater to Force One vehicles. They even have a dedicated team of Service Advisors, Mechanics and Billing Counter for Force One customers. The new Gurkha, I have heard, will be sold under their Personal Vehicles Division, so that should be good.

Force Motors is taking baby steps to improvement, but I guess their pace of change is too slow. I hope it is not a case of too little and too late!
Old 21st November 2012, 20:31   #45
BHPian

This one definitely a THAR beater in terms of quality, reliability and features. Spent few minutes with this vehicle which is now undergoing emission certification for BS4. Many who were looking for family off roaders, no other vehicle comes closer to this spec. A well engineered vehicle with all proven mechanicals including engine. what i heard from force guys, the pricing is from 6.5 lakh onwards ex-showroom. It looks like the side cladding is offered for higher end models. Only weird thing was the 4wd shifter. it is much taller then the main gear levers of any SUV. and it is positioned at comfortable position, where in you might reach the 4wd gear lever accidentally while you intend to shift the main gear lever. compared to THAR, less electronics, high ground clearance, nothing like hanging catcon. This is best simple and sweet spec available at this moment for any off road enthusiast looking for along with car like comfort. The dashboard was fully metal, not sure if that would be there in production vehicle. Steering position is what few may wont like.
star_aqua is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks