Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2015, 18:32   #2191
BHPian

re: Fiat's India strategy revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Some details about the Abarth Punto Evo:
1) Shod with 16 inch Scorpion Claw alloys and 195/55/R16 Apollo Alnac tyres.
2) Abarth stripes on side and badge on the bootlid.
3) Gearbox is a 5-speed unit. Hoping it is better than the one on the Linea T-Jet.

Car is being tested in various parts of India and was recently spotted in Himachal Pradesh. I hope Fiat launches this car soon and doesn't make us wait forever!

P.S.: Can't post the pics and link to my article due to the forum's rules.
Do you have any pics with the Abarth badges? Please upload them. Posting the pics you snapped would not be a violation of forum rules AFAIK
Old 19th June 2015, 18:35   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Do you have any pics with the Abarth badges? Please upload them. Posting the pics you snapped would not be a violation of forum rules AFAIK
Have pics where the Abarth badges have been hidden. But, the pics have the website's watermark. Not too sure if i can post those as have received a warning earlier about a link.
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:04   #2193
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat patents the Jeep Renegade in India , Launch Likely In 2017? -

Could be too late as it will compete with Renault's/Nissan's Duster/Terrano, Maruti's S Cross and Hyundai's Creta!

Fiat's India strategy revealed-jeeprenegadepatentindia.jpg

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/06/car...h-likely-2017/

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd June 2015 at 14:06.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 14:38   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Could be too late as it will compete with Renault's/Nissan's Duster/Terrano, Maruti's S Cross and Hyundai's Creta!
Couldn't agree more with you volkman10. I mean, if Fiat could spend half the effort in marketing and working on its current lineup !!

I have a feeling its only time before big players like Maruti & Tata stop borrowing engines from Fiat completely. Boy, that will surely eliminate one probable competition from Indian Automobile Industry.
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:10   #2195
BHPian

From what I can make out, FCA in India will be more export-centric with the new small Jeep(s) that are localized in India. Which is the right lesson to have learnt from the Ford and Renault-Nissan experience, in terms of profitability and ROI, in India. To add to their notable and rare profits from the Tata JV +engine+amt supplies etc. Their pessimism about being able to sell hugely in Inida is entirely justified, imo, so.

Their 5-year plan refers to a crossover named 'New Avventura', which will presumably be a twin of the Renegade in some way, for end 2016? They might focus on India-sales more with that model. Although, again presumably, that model too will be targetted at exports.

As for 'too late': it never is, since the fact of Japanese+Korean+Mahindra domination in CUV-s, as elsewhere, is i feel inevitable, a structural feature of the market and of the brands-in-the-market. Fiat and Jeep cannot hope to sell in big numbers here, for many years. Hence the export-centric nature of their future all-new-locally-made-car launches? Let's see. The market's more like a never-ending, multi-innings Test Match, than a limited-overs game, no?

Also, @Vik0728 , Tata will be using the 1.5 (?) and certainly the 2litre mjd on their 2016-2017 SUV-s, as well. In fact, the Tata suv-s may well be built on the very same line as the Jeep renegade or C-suv in Ranjangaon (late 2016/2017), at their JV plant, currently being expanded and prepped.

As for Maruti: their new models are already selling in Europe on the back of the mjd-s, and presumably will through their lifecycle. The S Cross is the first such CUV model for India, several more coming as we know. So, safe to say in India too, MS is set fair to deploy the excellent and yet inexpensive mjd-s (1.3, 1.6) through the lifecycle of the SCross, XAlpha, YRA etc. i.e., 5 years at a minimum?

btw, rumours in the international and Japanese business press about a bigger, 'strategic' tie-up between FCA and Suzuki globally abound. And ET as well as the BusinessStandard have sourced and quoted reports of a similar? 'strategic' tie-up discussion has begun between FCA and Tata Motors (including JLR?) as well. That's for another thread i guess. Let's just wait and see?

Meanwhile the FiatAbarth Punto+Avventura+500 are appetizing indeed, whatever their actual sales (small numbers, as usual)! And one hopes the Jeep brand-and-dealers-launch will happen latest by the AutoExpo in feb 2016?
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:39   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

I don't think Renegade will be priced so cheaply - it could be comparable to the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
As for 'too late': it never is
@desdemona - with you not being active in this thread for quite some time, Fiat would have felt quite demotivated

Let's just hope that the road-map you have prepared closely matches what Fiat people are thinking! But my question again is, where is the money going to come from!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 20:39   #2197
BHPian

Hi @mallumowgli

Am just going by (a) their announced, two year old plan, for whatever it is worth, one they've followed pretty exactly and on-time, except for the Jeep brand-launch porponement (due to the rupee exchahge rate crisis last year, they say)

(b) numerous confirmed-by-Tata-and-Fiat guys reports to Autocar, BStandard and ETimes.

Where will the money come from? You mean investment funds or profits? The former will be shared, even for the localized Jeeps, by Tata motors (their JV plant is being expanded and invested in, currently). Jeep is in the midst of a major 'globalization' project, hitherto very very succesful (1 million annual sales, huge non-USA growth, esp China): a brand-new Brazilian plant, a new JV China plant cming on-stream by the year end apparently, and a second one due before 2018.....and India is an integral part of this investment-outside-the-US plan that is already well-underway.

If you mean profits: obviously, much more via tata JV and maruti than own-brand-sales, as is already the case, with the new profits coming (?) via the exports of the India-localized new Jeeps, especially, but also exports of the all-new Fiat brand vehicles, all of these for both brands due starting 2016 through 2018, as per their plan, which as I said they're sticking to pretty exactly so far, except perhaps exact timing.

FCA-in-India (investments and profits) is very different to the Fiat-brand-sales-in-India, and set to become even more different once Jeep is launched. The former are good and/or growing, the latter are fated to spend a few more years bottom-hugging as the brand itself (rather than just the car sales) turns around in trust etc, IF it does at all.

The marketplace is not a race, or a game/spectator sport: it's about "the money, honey." :-) They're in-the-black over the last 2 years or more(?), so....let's see.

The new models, i mean, starting with the FiatAbarths. I'm guessing and hoping they'll have a big showing, esp for Jeep, at the AutoExpo in feb next year?

On a more personal note, wish they'd also bring the Renegade's twin the Fiat 500X! Will wait very patiently for 2017/18 to get one. Unlikely, though, since as you point out these vehicles will probably (?) be more-expensive than a Duster/Terrano et al. Besides, unlike the Jeep "c suv" the 500X is not, sadly, in the stated and reaffirmed plan till 2018.
Old 25th June 2015, 22:46   #2198
BHPian

I don't know if what I am going to say is a bit OT but nevertheless, it is about FIAT!

Why don't FIAT have upgrade/exchange offers for their existing customers? I mean, having some sort of buy back protection and an offer to upgrade/exchange from the manufacturer can definitely improve the confidence among customers.

I have a Linea MJD and I would definitely love if I can exchange it with an Abarth Punto or the New Linea T-Jet. I am just currently worried about the resale to sell it in the open market
Old 27th June 2015, 09:39   #2199
Distinguished - BHPian

Close on the heels of patenting the Jeep Renegade in India comes this set of exclusive spy photos indicating a Jeep Renegade prototype being tested for the very first time near Fiat's Michigan plant in the USA.

Fiat's India strategy revealed-20110796401747477290.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-529225000165304416.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-67274315430272767.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-149067619849983338.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-20618312312107061791.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-307624732528171521.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-1209855796929421486.jpg

Fiat might be introducing the Jeep Renegade in India sometime in 2017, through the joint assembly line they share with Tata in their Ranjangaon plant.

WorldCarFans

Last edited by RavenAvi : 27th June 2015 at 09:40.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2015, 11:46   #2200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Close on the heels of patenting the Jeep Renegade in India comes this set of exclusive spy photos indicating a Jeep Renegade prototype being tested for the very first time near Fiat's Michigan plant in the USA.
Fiat might be introducing the Jeep Renegade in India sometime in 2017, through the joint assembly line they share with Tata in their Ranjangaon plant.
How is this related to India? I thought it's already on sale in Europe, and this prototype testing would be for the US launch probably.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th June 2015 at 08:15. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 27th June 2015, 12:24   #2201
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
How is this related to India? I thought its already on sale in Europe, and this prototype testing would be for the US launch probably.
For one, this Renegade prototype being tested was estimated to have a shorter wheelbase. Quoting from the same source:

Quote:
However, it is interesting to note this particular prototype doesn't have an extended wheelbase like previous mules.
Also, Fiat patented the Renegade brand only a few days back, and this (shortened) Renegade prototype popping up now, for the very first time, indicates a launch in a year/year-and-half time period.

Since Fiat has already said that the Renegade will be here by 2017, it's logical to assume that this might be the model headed our way.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 12:00   #2202
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jeep Grand Cherokee would soon be made in India.

The Maharashtra government is close to finalising a deal with Chrysler to set up a new factory at Ranjangaon for the same, for which the US auto major will invest Rs.1,750 crores in setting up the new plant in the first phase and Rs.3,500 crores in the next six years.

Quote:
The Maharashtra government is close to finalising a deal with the auto major to set up a factory at Ranjangaon in Aurangabad district, state government officials said on Tuesday. Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, who is on a seven-day visit to the US, was scheduled to meet top Chrysler executives during the day, they said.

Fiat, which owns Chrysler, already has a plant at Ranjangaon, but Maharashtra government officials said the US company would set up a new facility.

Manufacturing the Grand Cherokee and other models locally would reduce their price here, as imported vehicles attract much higher tax rates.
ET
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 12:08   #2203
BANNED

What's all this stuff above about patenting the Jeep Renegade? You can't patent an name -- are you talking about a trademark registration? Or is there some new technology in the vehicle that is being patented?
Old 1st July 2015, 14:53   #2204
BHPian

5 units of 595 Competizione have been brought in finally indicating closer launch.

Zauba
Senna4Ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2015, 15:01   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Maharashtra government is close to finalising a deal with Chrysler to set up a new factory at Ranjangaon for the same, for which the US auto major will invest Rs.1,750 crores in setting up the new plant in the first phase and Rs.3,500 crores in the next six years.
Why would Chrysler set up a new plant when Fiat's plant is largely un-utilised? From what we know, Chrysler will be launching only Jeep products - Grand Cherokee, possibly Wrangler & Renegade. Of these, Grand Cherokee volumes will be limited due to the price and competition from stronger German brands, Wrangler will an extremely limited appeal product leaving the Renegade to lead Chrysler's foray in India. Seems like Chrysler is taking a HUGE risk by setting up a plant here based on just 1 model.

The above of course would be their short term strategy and a new plant could mean Chrysler is open to launching more of their cars here. The Dart would be a good option along with the 300. But I guess all that would still be at least 5 years away.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks