Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2015, 10:58   #2116
Senior - BHPian

re: Fiat's India strategy revealed

This news seems to have gone unnoticed:
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/03/car...a-for-testing/

From the article:
Quote:
The particular unit of the Fiat Panda imported is a 4×4 version featuring the 1.3-litre MultiJet diesel engine that produces 74 BHP of power and 190 Nm of torque.
Earlier it was 500L imported for testing, now Panda 4X4. Has Fiat India finally started thinking in the right direction?
Old 6th March 2015, 11:21   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Is FIAT seriously thinking of pricing the Panda above the Avventura? In which case, they can kiss decent sales numbers goodbye right now.

IMHO, the Panda 4X4 should replace the Avventura, and then they should ideally bring in the regular Panda half-a-segment below the Punto Evo.

But then, since when has FIAT taken sensible decisions for the Indian market? I guess that adds to the allure of the brand?
Old 6th March 2015, 12:40   #2118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post

Inspite of owning Magneti-Marelli, the company responsible for the famed AMT 'box of MSIL and Tata, HOW CAN YOU NOT EQUIP YOUR CARS WITH IT?
This is NOT unheard of, nor is a non-standard practice: not choosing to consume your own produce. Commenting on the business sense, for that matter doesn't quite sound justified.

For example, SAMSUNG, is a giant, a conglomerate. Manufacturing a wide range of products, even heavy engineering. They have a semiconductor business too, manufacturing a wide variety of chips. Their TVs, in quite a few models, do not use their own video decoder chips. There are other famous brands using these! Look at tear-down analyses on the web. SONY, YAMAHA, many other companies follow similar lines....

It's about technical suitability, EASE of availability given your production schedule, the "suppliability" by the vendor at a given cost for a given committed volume and acceptable performance. The ranking is intentional : putting performance at the end of the list, for mango class.

Who knows, there could be other "AMTs" not from Magneti, which could make the Swift better than the GT twins!

Driveability of the car, is NOT bad at all like you put it. Then if it is so, there are countless official and unofficial reviews of other cars driveability being questionable too! That is why you have TEST DRIVES! Why repent later? TEST drive it first.

Where the mass books a car without even driving it, going by "he(a)rd" reports, why complain of all things, about driveability? (OT : On similar lines, there are expert and important people, who comment on "rubbery" gear shift of this car...what is a rubbery gear shift? )

When there is nothing really tangible, except for the low numbers, these, IMHO, are used to give the car a bad name. This car has the IDENTICAL set of flaws or niggles that ANY mass produced car would have: uneven panels, rattles, leaky o rings, the odd judder. You don't want to bring statistics here....you will lose.

Ending it, if one asks "kitna deti hai", he probably doesn't deserve the car. The car. He deserves just another car.

Happy Holi.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 6th March 2015 at 13:07.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 13:35   #2119
Team-BHP Support

Fiat has imported two units of the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Overland for testing.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 14:22   #2120
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
This news seems to have gone unnoticed:
http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/03/car...a-for-testing/

From the article:

Earlier it was 500L imported for testing, now Panda 4X4. Has Fiat India finally started thinking in the right direction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
Is FIAT seriously thinking of pricing the Panda above the Avventura? In which case, they can kiss decent sales numbers goodbye right now.

IMHO, the Panda 4X4 should replace the Avventura, and then they should ideally bring in the regular Panda half-a-segment below the Punto Evo.

But then, since when has FIAT taken sensible decisions for the Indian market? I guess that adds to the allure of the brand?
Neither the Panda 4x4 nor the 500L have been imported by Fiat India, both the cars have been imported by a rival company for R&D purposes. While I cannot reveal the names, but rest assured Fiat has no plans to launch either of the cars in India.

I would love to be proved wrong, but as of now I am 100% sure that these two brilliant cars have not been imported by Fiat India.
//M is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 14:38   #2121
BHPian

Many of you may have seen it, just thought of sharing it

Source - FCA Investor Day Presentation May 2014
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat_major-new-model-launches-india.png  

Autolock123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 16:30   #2122
Team-BHP Support

Don't understand working of FIAT India , they have got these 2 pieces by Air from USA

Could have easily arranged by sea , don't know what's hurry and I am pretty sure they will still sit on this for many months / years . There is no way they can price these less than 30 Lac in case of CBU Imports and at these rates there will be hardly any buyers . Many of us who are so fond of Jeep will find so many issues - interiors , driveability , pickup due to price point . They should have done some better work by getting into CKD operations at launch and pricing at 15-20 Lac .
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-jeep.png  

Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 09:46   #2123
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat might have released plans of introducing cars in India like the Abarth and Jeep brands, but the purpose is not to draw volumes in the Indian market but also to be profitable need to depend on exports. Fiat plans to make India an export hub for small cars

But sadly nothing substantially new to excite the market will be seen until 2017.

Fiat India will be developing products that will be manufactured and exported from India - from the Ranjangaon facility.

Fiat India has been developing a new platform X3U, which will be a new modular platform that will be used to build a new hatchback, sedan and even an SUV.
The SUV will be a compact one, and it will be for the B-segment. Fiat might introduce this SUV under the Jeep brand and for India this will be a front-wheel drive.
For other export markets, this new SUV will have an all-wheel drive option too, this is one reason why Fiat is studying its own product, the Panda 4×4 to develop a more affordable technology.
Quote:
There is no clarity if the new hatchback and sedan could be the new Punto and Linea. Mostly it will be and these vehicles will be tweaked in design and styling to cater to the Indian car buyers. These will products will be ready by late 2017 or early 2018.
Apart from the above as known Fiat is in the final development stages of the 1.5-litre multijet that is a derivative of the 1.6 MJD.

http://motoroctane.com/news/12107-fi...cars-exclusive

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th April 2015 at 09:56.
Old 15th April 2015, 10:33   #2124
Senior - BHPian

Spotted an MH-12 registered Jeep Cherokee in Chennai last week. Chrysler has some engineering and global sourcing operations out of Chennai, so I'm assuming it's here for testing.
Fiat's India strategy revealed-img_20150411_183618761.jpg
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 19:38   #2125
Senior - BHPian

(Ok, Fiat has probably already missed many opportunities ) Could Fiat have missed an opportunity by not considering bringing the Fiat 500X? With an option for regular and 4x4 box.

A great looking Crossover (IMO). The 1.6 Mjd and 135hp T-Jet would have also made perfect engines, me thinks.. Could also slot in the 11L-15L price bracket, where Fiat currently has nothing.

I hope Fiat considers this vehicle to bring to India. Unless, anyone here thinks the model won't make sense.

On another note: I've grown tired waiting for a 1.6/1.5 or a more powerful MJD engine for the Linea.. Please Fiat, please.. Don't be unknowingly hard on your remaining fans/enthusiasts..

Last edited by k_ajay : 15th April 2015 at 19:53.
Old 15th April 2015, 23:05   #2126
BHPian

Any idea on how to get a Jeep dealership? I sent a mail to the fiat guys and they didn't bother replying. No clue on what they have planned for appointing dealers.
Old 20th April 2015, 12:01   #2127
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat is likely to be introducing the Punto and Avventura with 133bhp 1.4-litre T-Jet engines, but it will be with the Abarth badge.

Fiat hopes the badge change( for enthusiasts) would differentiate this from the mass market segment.

http://motoroctane.com/news/12394-ab...ext-six-months
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2015, 14:34   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
But sadly nothing substantially new to excite the market will be seen until 2017.

Fiat India will be developing products that will be manufactured and exported from India - from the Ranjangaon facility.

Fiat India has been developing a new platform X3U, which will be a new modular platform that will be used to build a new hatchback, sedan and even an SUV.
The SUV will surely come out in 2017. This part has been confirmed (cannot disclose source)

Expect no other new launches.
Old 21st April 2015, 15:13   #2129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The SUV will surely come out in 2017. This part has been confirmed (cannot disclose source)

Expect no other new launches.
Pretty sad. After owning and enjoying a Linea for 5 years, I have no way to continue using a fiat. No better Linea or Avventure with the latest engines. No bigger SUV if I choose to go that way. I have already delayed my decision by 2 years, hoping for better choice, but I guess I have to stop waiting.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:00   #2130

Got this link through facebook on launch of FIAT Viaggio.
http://autoportal.com/newcars/fiat/viaggio/

Need to see how true this is going to be considering their reputation for promising and then changing their minds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks