Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 10:20   #31
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

With 'Jeep' coming to India , I expect 'Thar' to get some real competition from 'Wrangler' . Since they plan to have 'Wrangler' via CBU route I expect it to be placed on the higher band of pricing, nevertheless our Desi version of Jeep will be forced to make some overall improvements in quality,fit&finish departments.
Customer wins in such competition.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:42   #32
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

There is no competition, IMO, between Thar and wrangler, PERIOD. How can there be, a person with budget of 6-7 lacs can never buy a Rs 20 lacs+ offroader when he can get a decent one in his budget.

Mahindra can safely ignore this launch as they face no competition in sub 10 lac category for THAR.
Old 7th December 2012, 10:45   #33
BHPian

Have been waiting for 1.6MJD for long time. For sure Linea with/without facelift/may be new linea with 1.6MJD will be great to drive.

Already my car is six and half years old, and fortunately my wife has learned driving and has taken over the car since last month and I am commuting by my Electra now.

But 2014 seems to be too late. Is it worth to wait for an year+ or go ahead with existing 1.3MJD linea ? OR Can we expect some sweet announcement from fiat for 2013 release...
Old 7th December 2012, 10:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

The brand is there - with all its emotional trappings and linkages to Indian motoring history.
The engineering & design flair is there in abundance.
The vehicles models are there - one for every segment.

Is the will to set up an efficient back end spares & service chain there?
Is there enough passionate people in FIAT who will work their guts out just because they love the cars FIAT make and help propel the OEM on its way to a well deserved podium position in the Indian auto industry ?

As has been discussed umpteen number of times on various threads of T-BHP, FIAT need not advertise, they need not build their brand saying they build excellent cars - they just need to set up their own little workshops stocked with 90% fast moving spares , in every nook and corner of India and watch sales take off.

Let's see what happens this time around
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
Is it worth to wait for an year+ or go ahead with existing 1.3MJD linea ? OR Can we expect some sweet announcement from fiat for 2013 release...
I did not see any official announcement that 1.6 MJD will be launched. What I actually inferred from Mr. Manlay is as follows.

From Jeep
- Grand Cherokee (Later half of 2013 thru CBU)
- Wrangler (Later half of 2013 thru CBU)
- New B segment SUV (Will be made in Ranjangaon - 2015-2016)
- New C segment SUV (Will be made in Ranjangaon - 2015-2016)

From Fiat
- New Linea (2014)
- New Punto (2014)
- New Hatch (to take on Alto. Will be world value car)
- New SUV to take on Ecosport (2014)

"Mr Manley, who also heads Jeep worldwide, said the car-maker will bring in its Jeep brand to India in the second half of 2013 and plans to launch four Jeep brands over the next four years. Of the four models, the first two, Grand Cherokee and Wrangler, will be completely built units (CBUs), while the other two will be locally produced, he added."

“Our vision for India will revolve around a three-pronged strategy,” Mr Manley said.
“First, the introduction of new vehicles that will soon include the legendary Jeep brand.
Second, the expansion of our independent dealer network and,
finally, strong marketing initiatives that will continue to improve our awareness and brand perception in the market.”

Sources
- http://profit.ndtv.com/news/auto/art...om=home-latest
- http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17504653.cms
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:23   #36
BHPian

But I could see the same floating around in almost all auto forums.
One link is below. I guess, we don't have any other way, than wait and watch.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/325...kly_newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I did not see any official announcement that 1.6 MJD will be launched. What I actually inferred from Mr. Manlay is as follows.

From Jeep
- Grand Cherokee (Later half of 2013 thru CBU)
- Wrangler (Later half of 2013 thru CBU)
- New B segment SUV (Will be made in Ranjangaon - 2015-2016)
- New C segment SUV (Will be made in Ranjangaon - 2015-2016)

From Fiat
- New Linea (2014)
- New Punto (2014)
- New Hatch (to take on Alto. Will be world value car)
- New SUV to take on Ecosport (2014)

"Mr Manley, who also heads Jeep worldwide, said the car-maker will bring in its Jeep brand to India in the second half of 2013 and plans to launch four Jeep brands over the next four years. Of the four models, the first two, Grand Cherokee and Wrangler, will be completely built units (CBUs), while the other two will be locally produced, he added."

“Our vision for India will revolve around a three-pronged strategy,” Mr Manley said.
“First, the introduction of new vehicles that will soon include the legendary Jeep brand.
Second, the expansion of our independent dealer network and,
finally, strong marketing initiatives that will continue to improve our awareness and brand perception in the market.”

Sources
- http://profit.ndtv.com/news/auto/art...om=home-latest
- http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17504653.cms
Old 7th December 2012, 11:34   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by double View Post
But I could see the same floating around in almost all auto forums.
One link is below. I guess, we don't have any other way, than wait and watch.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/325...kly_newsletter
Yes. I am also seeing this only on some forums but I couldn't see that in the statement from Mr. Manlay and team yesterday. We may have to wait and watch.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:36   #38
BHPian

If Wrangler is launched as CBU expect it not less than 22 lakhs(price calculated while comparing CTC,duties levied and MSRP in USA & SOUTH AFRICA) and if it does come in a CKD avatar 17 lakhs in rupees. This pricing will ruin fiat as a fully costomised thar would be cheaper than a wrangler.
Where is Bravo, it was speculated to launched two years back.
Also thinking up of taking dealership of fiat,how well would that turn up.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I did not see any official announcement that 1.6 MJD will be launched.
If Fiat thinks it can make do with the puny 1.3 MJD even for the newer models, I'm sure they'll be learning one more lesson (for the nth time). They really have to put in the 1.6 at least for the sedans. Yes, the 1.3 has become a 'national engine', but it is time to move ahead. I feel 2014 is too late to bring in the new models, atleast second half of 2013 should have been the target,

The Cherokee should give the Fortuner a run for its money, but I seriously doubt if it can dent the sales of the XUV.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:48   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If Fiat thinks it can make do with the puny 1.3 MJD even for the newer models, I'm sure they'll be learning one more lesson (for the nth time). They really have to put in the 1.6 at least for the sedans. Yes, the 1.3 has become a 'national engine', but it is time to move ahead. I feel 2014 is too late to bring in the new models, atleast second half of 2013 should have been the target,
Calm down my friend. They didn't announce anything about 1.6 MJD, but that doesn't mean that they will not launch it. When Linea and Punto completely get facelifted in 2014, we may expect 1.6.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:52   #41
BHPian

Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
IAB reports..

Jeep future products for India
In the third quarter of 2013 India will see the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee
  • In 2015, the company will launch a B-Segment SUV (name, specifications not available)
  • In 2016, a C Segment SUV will be launched (no details here again)
Jeep is not ready to divulge plans on what the second and third products are at the moment.

Fiat India (By 2016)
  • Fiat will be present across the country through 112 dealers
  • Jeep will be have 82 dealers throughout the nation
Fiat India future products
Fiat will launch 4 new products in 2013-2014
  • Fiat will launch Abarth in 2013 – No other details were divulged
  • All new Punto will be launched in 2014. The new Punto will be refreshed (think MY2012 Tata Nano, MY2012 Fiat Punto) in 2015 and 2016
  • A B-Segment Fiat SUV will come in 2014
  • Fiat will reposition the Linea as the ‘Linea Classic’ in 2013
  • An all-new Linea will be launched in 2014

Its refreshing to see Fiat take on a more aggresive route approach to the Indian market. However, just like Renault-Nissant and M&M and Ford they need one very successful model if they have to establish themselves in the customer mindspace in a market that is very competitive. Looking at the models planned, one gets the feeling that these are competitive cars well thought out for their specific sub-segment, but incapable of providing that volume push that is so cruicial to establishing acceptance in the customer mindspace. [After Duster, Renault is a perfectly acceptable car brand to buy, and newer models from Renault will not have to work to get attention]

Except for the New Punto and the B segment Fiat SUV (on the Fiat Panda platform maybe?) there is not even one high volume model. Its all nice to have halo brands and vehicles, but whats the purpose of having a halo if you dont have anything to give that halo effect to! Even with the new Punto, given that is has misreably failed on the sales chart (and hence one can assume totally rejected by the customers) it would be very very difficult to revive that brand. The Jeep B class SUV is the dark horse and if priced correctly in the XUV5OO price range, can surprise naysayers (like me!!).
Old 7th December 2012, 11:55   #42
Senior - BHPian

^^ Guys, A friend was present at this press conference and they did mention that the 1.6MJD and the 1.4T would be the engines for the new Linea. The Punto would get the 1.2 petrol and 1.3MJD.

Like most of you'll have mentioned, 2014 is late. How will Fiat prop up their sales for 2013 ?

And please stop comparing the Thar & the Wrangler ! They will address totally different segments and the JEEP will be leagues ahead of the Thar in every department.
fiat_tarun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2012, 11:56   #43
BHPian

they can bring in all the cars they want. obviously what Fiat still doesn't understand is, unless they get their a.s.s together, their new releases will amount to zilch. having Fiat cafes in five metros in India is like adding a pinch of hing in 10 kilos of patta ghobi. leaves the customer bloated and distended for a long time after purchase.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:59   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
With 'Jeep' coming to India , I expect 'Thar' to get some real competition from 'Wrangler' . Since they plan to have 'Wrangler' via CBU route I expect it to be placed on the higher band of pricing, nevertheless our Desi version of Jeep will be forced to make some overall improvements in quality,fit&finish departments.
Customer wins in such competition.

Highly unlikely. At 4 times the price, it will make no difference to the thar, nor put any pressure on it to improve.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:01   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The Cherokee should give the Fortuner a run for its money, but I seriously doubt if it can dent the sales of the XUV.
Very optimistic expectation I must say. Realistically speaking, it may not do anything to the sales of the Fortuner, or XUV for that matter. Even as a CKD/local assembly, the Jeep Cherokee should cost around of 30-40 lakhs. And IIRC, it’s available only as a 5-seater.

Same for the Wrangler. It will not do any harm to the likes of the Thar.

Last edited by vb-saan : 7th December 2012 at 12:03. Reason: additional comments

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks