Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 20:51   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
The airbags indeed cost 5k approx to the manufacturers but the cost of the airbag controller is also needed to be taken into account. Another 25k approx.

The airbag cost for wagon R is approx INR 2500 a piece to suzuki. They are manufactured at a local facility setup around 3 years back.
That makes it 30k for Airbags. Add another 20k for ABS and we are speaking about 25% of the cost of top end Nano. Can the body shell of Nano protect the occupant with air bags? If the shell along with airbag would crush the driver in case of a crash, there is no point providing airbags on the car. So it is not just a matter of features. It is more about adherence to minimum safety standards that we are looking at. Of course, we are yet to define those but once we do, manufacturers would automatically start introducing airbags et al to meet those even if it is not made mandatory.

IMO, ABS needs to be mandated first as that could potentially prevent accidents and hence should not be left to the choice of the customer. But the unfortunate part is the perception about ABS among the general public. "I don't need ABS as I won't drive fast". Other side of this wrong perception is the myth that ABS is some kind of magic brakes that would bring your car to a halt from any speed that you drive. Imagine the threat of someone driving with this wrong notion combined with immature driving behavior. We need not look elsewhere for disaster. With mandatory safety kit, we'll end up seeing more daredevils on the road who would start risking half chances to overtake since their car is now safe. IMO, respect (or fear) for law and rules is the only way out of this mess. Our roads would be a lot safer once every driver starts obeying rules, even without any safety kit. If you see that happening, I guess it is time to wake up from your dream.
Old 14th January 2013, 21:12   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
The airbags indeed cost 5k approx to the manufacturers but the cost of the airbag controller is also needed to be taken into account. Another 25k approx.

The airbag cost for wagon R is approx INR 2500 a piece to suzuki. They are manufactured at a local facility setup around 3 years back.
Airbags including controller cost 5K to the manufacturer.
Infact it is estimated when side curtain airbags become compulsary in the usa, the cost to mfr will be 33$/vehicle
Old 15th January 2013, 11:04   #93
BHPian

i was not very happy when the alto 800 was launched but now makes me think again if i missed any. way to go mahindra and Renault.
i am keeping my fingers crossed for the ecosport to change the game for ford india. glad VW opened a 2 more showrooms in bangalore which they badly needed.
Old 15th January 2013, 23:16   #94
Senior - BHPian

Upgraded SX4 is round the corner, it is expected around March 2013. One of the major changes would be in the music system. It will have a complete 7 inch touch screen GPS navigation along with superior quality of machine.
Maruti seems to be quite serious about SX4 this time and will make sure that it goes to 4 digit sales figure.
Old 15th January 2013, 23:51   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Upgraded SX4 is round the corner, it is expected around March 2013. One of the major changes would be in the music system. It will have a complete 7 inch touch screen GPS navigation along with superior quality of machine.
Maruti seems to be quite serious about SX4 this time and will make sure that it goes to 4 digit sales figure.
Well that would be a very welcome move. I remember SX4 was a rage at the time of its launch with all those "men are back" adds if I am not wrong. But somewhere down the line Maruti just lost focus and ignored the sedan and concentrated more on the unprecedented success of Swift and Dzire. A cool set of features coupled with some aggressive ad campaign can see the SX4 rise up again in its segment.
Old 16th January 2013, 01:20   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
A cool set of features coupled with some aggressive ad campaign can see the SX4 rise up again in its segment.
I don't think so.
A good diesel engine is the need of the hour. The 1.3L MJD can not hold a candle to the VW's 1.6L TDi or the Verna. Then there are poor plastic quality and uninspiring looks. I honestly dont know why will people buy SX4 where there are cars like Rapid, Vento, Sunny & Verna.
Old 16th January 2013, 10:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I don't think so.
A good diesel engine is the need of the hour. The 1.3L MJD can not hold a candle to the VW's 1.6L TDi or the Verna.
I am not sure of your comment, the 90 - 93 hp FIAT MJD is one of the successful diesel motors sold in India; in terms of performance, it is at par with TDi motors of peers. Except VGT motor of Verna, I am sure MJD can hold the fort. Maruti just need to focus on SX4 and address some of the quality issues with the car, it can make it's way into the market.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 11:56   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure of your comment, the 90 - 93 hp FIAT MJD is one of the successful diesel motors sold in India; in terms of performance, it is at par with TDi motors of peers. Except VGT motor of Verna, I am sure MJD can hold the fort. Maruti just need to focus on SX4 and address some of the quality issues with the car, it can make it's way into the market.
Completely disagree with the statement above. VW Vento or Skoda Rapid's 1.6 racy diesel engine can blow away the fiat engine any day.

The SX4 interiors do not give the due feeling of a 11 L car ( in Bangalore). In current scenarios this car is not going to attract to Urban customers.
sam_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 21:52   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need to drive them to know the difference.
The 1.6L TDi of Vento/Rapid is the best in business. The engine combined with beautifully chosen gear ratios is much more responsive and entertaining than the Verna 1.6. Leave alone the SX4.

The 1.3L engine is good. No question asked. But you cant honestly expect it to compete with the 1.6L engines. It isn't fair. The 1.3L 90 BHP would be a wonderful engine had it been plonked in the Swift/Dzire.
But if you want to compete with the peers you got to upsize.

Secondly there aren't much quality issues in the car. No unexpected breakdown. Not much niggling issues. Yes, the plastic looks tacky and the interiors are from an entry level sedan. But still people would forget everything had there been a good engine say the 1.6L MJD.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 22:19   #100
BHPian

Looking at Swift and Dzire's figures, one thing puzzles me. Only because of crazy waitlist for Swift, I went for the next best, RITZ VDI in March 2012. I am getting SMS from Maruti dealer here in Trivandrum for the past 2 months that Diesel Swift and Dzire available in ready stock. How a waiting list for 6 months can suddenly evaporate?
Old 17th January 2013, 03:04   #101
MHG
BHPian

Did anyone notice that Chevrolet has finally gone and dropped the Optra, Aveo and Aveo UV-A from their Indian website ?

Aveo twins are obviously being replaced by the Sail twins, but which car can fill the void left behind by the Optra Magnum Diesel ? It was the most powerful diesel in its class and sadly its no more. If only Chevrolet did something to make it look more up-to-date.... Even now it has the option of launching a performance version of the Sail sedan with the Optra engine but I doubt it will ever happen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Airbags including controller cost 5K to the manufacturer.
Infact it is estimated when side curtain airbags become compulsary in the usa, the cost to mfr will be 33$/vehicle
While USA is talking about making side curtain airbags compulsory, we don't even get them as options - especially from the big three in reliability (reliable until you end up in a sideways accident): Toyota, Honda and Suzuki (well Suzuki with exception of Kizashi). Isn't it shocking that even D1 and D2 segment vehicles like Civic, Corolla, Accord, Camry and Fortuner come with 2 ?
Old 31st January 2013, 12:40   #102

Is there any information available on the luxury segment? The BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, Land Rover, etc models?
Old 1st February 2013, 12:05   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Car market leader Maruti Suzuki India Limited sold a total of 114,205 units in January 2013. This included 103,026 units in the domestic market, a growth of 2 per cent over January 2012. Exports during January 2013 were 11179 units.

Passenger cars : Mini
M800, Alto, A-Star, WagonR 46479

Passenger cars : Compact

Swift, Estilo, Ritz 24006

Passenger cars : Super Compact
DZire 17060

Passenger cars : Mid-Size
SX4 1012

Ertiga 6095
Omni EECO 8374

Source: MS

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st February 2013 at 12:09.
Old 1st February 2013, 12:26   #104
Senior - BHPian

Wow ... That's great numbers from Maruti. Dzire selling more than 17 k + is great news. No body expected that this compact model will do well. But you never know with Maruti.

Why Ertiga numbers are low? It was doing 7k +. Production issues?
Old 1st February 2013, 13:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Wow ... That's great numbers from Maruti. Dzire selling more than 17 k + is great news. No body expected that this compact model will do well. But you never know with Maruti.

Why Ertiga numbers are low? It was doing 7k +. Production issues?
Dzire sales are shooting up with adequate support from the old Dzire in the Tour avatar which is making a major dent into Indigo sales in the taxi segment
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks