Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Tata/Mahindra Owners: Did "Patriotism" Play A Role In Your Car Purchasing Decision?
Absolutely! I always believe(d) in buying "Desi" 34 15.89%
Maybe. At a sub-conscious level perhaps. 70 32.71%
No. I bought a Mahindra/Tata because of its qualities. 110 51.40%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2014, 06:46   #91
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata / Mahindra Car Owners: Did "Patriotism" play a role in your buying decision?

Though I selected the option - Absolutely! I always believe(d) in buying "Desi", this was my line of thought back in 2004 when I bought the Tata Indica.
However, after experiencing the Tata service and part quality, I didn't want to risk it again when I wanted to upgrade to a sedan (had actually moved from an Esteem to Indica so that was a good comparo right there!) as it would be much more expensive and I wanted a more reliable, low maintenance car and a good service network to back it up. Wasn't difficult to decide on Maruti Suzuki. Also, markets have changed, everything is global in some way so there is no real completely "desi" car now!
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 07:27   #92
BHPian

Re: Tata / Mahindra Car Owners: Did "Patriotism" play a role in your buying decision?

Amused that such a thread exists.

If this was patriotism, them all of us should first stop driving or riding. As most of our petrol/diesel comes from imported crude.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 09:36   #93
Senior - BHPian

Patriotism really did not play a part in the purchase of the Manza in 2011, it ticked all the items or wishlist that we had for the car and the availability. At the same time the Dzire was commanding a 5 months waiting period, thats kind of gross in the 21st century because if someone is looking to buy something new, it should be readily available.
Old 11th June 2014, 10:29   #94
J.Ravi

I voted for 'No. I bought a Mahindra/Tata because of its qualities' as Mahindra XUV 500 W8 only ticked all my requirements. My essential requirements were ESP, cruise control and all features of my erstwhile FIAT Linea. When I test-drove Renault Duster [110 PS top variant], it did not have ACC, ESP, cruise control, hand-rest, dead pedal, speed-sensitive automatic central locking, etc. Tata Safari Storme VX did not have multi-information display, ACC and dead-pedal. The other American, European, Korean and Japanese SUVs were all beyond my budget, and hence, not considered.

Old 24th February 2019, 15:51   #95

I thought it would be an appropriate time to revive this discussion. I know the last post in this thread was 2014 but there has been so much change in the world since.

I am not an economist and therefore cannot comment a great deal on globalisation and its benefits. It certainly has benefits, consumers in a country are able to get goods cheaper and encourages the most efficient forms of production if it was a level playing field. Many countries like China for eg quietly subsidise their products in order to capture a market and decimate the industries of a target country thus destroying jobs and economic potential. China has even rebranded fake medicines as made in India, sold in Africa to tarnish our reputation

I have seen this situation play out in Australia where I have lived for over thirty years. It was a country with a relatively robust manufacturing sector, including car manufacturing. Today it is reduced to practically no manufacturing (the last car manufacturing factory closed in 2016). Today it is a client of Chinese manufacturing practically 99% of goods sold there are made in China. Manufacturing of all iconic brands such as RM Williams (boots), Billabong etc now all manufactured in China. If we do not want to suffer the same fate here then we must make a conscious effort to buy Indian otherwise we will lose our manufacturing capability and once lost it is next to impossible to recover. This is why Trump's message resonates with the American voters. That we retain jobs here is existential for us because we have to support 1.3 billion people, unlike Australia which has a population of 25 million.
Recent events on our borders have shown that China is not our side and as a country, we should not be supporting their economic prosperity by buying chinese goods at the expense of Indian manufacturers. Good examples are the most popular phones sold in India such as Xiaomi, Oppo and the like. MG is coming in and Wall etc will follow suit to our detriment.

So patriotism should play a role because it means survival in the end
Edaks is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks