Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 23:44   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 and its falling sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Before the Nano came in, the female folks who wanted to make a style statement, heavily relied upon the i10. Atleast 2 out of 5 i10's I saw on the road were driven by the women folk.

With the launch of Nano, this trend has seen a change. This would be just a contributory factor if not a primary reason.
Nano & ladies? Am not sure. But Eon & ladies, yeah - this combination has grown in numbers for sure. I have seen ladies who want an entry level car preferring Eon over Alto stating "stunning interiors".
Old 23rd January 2013, 10:48   #32
BHPian

given the wide range of I10 variants, it competes at 2 levels.

At one level, (say, upto 4.5 lakhs price range) it is pitted against the Wagon R (which sells much higher than I10). In this case, not having a diesel mill is not a valid argument as Wagon R too does not have a diesel option. In this segment, I think the I10 loses out on account of less space, mileage. One has to remember that this segment has perhaps the most budget conscious family car buyer segment, and they give more premium to factors like space, ease etc. The marketing strategy of Maruti consciously harps on this "family car' factor for Wagon R ans scores over the I10. I10 has beaten the Spark or Indica or other such cars in this segment and hence discussing them is irrelevant.

The higher end models (around 5 lakhs and above) of I10 has some serious competition, with Brio, Swift Ritz (all petrol models) along with Beat Diesel and the likes with diesel mills. This segment has some of the fiercest competition in the hatchkback segment (and indeed in the overall car industry this is the most competitive segment) and to win this battle, I10 needs something extra ordinary to stand out.
The Swift and the Brio are much more exciting cars to drive, the Beat Diesel or even the base Liva's are more VFM propositions. The I10 is on unsure footings in this segment, not sure of what its USP is.
hyundai has stretched the I10 over a wide price range to offer multiple options to the buyers, and that is commendable. But it fails to ensure buyers end up in a Hyundai showroom finally. As others have already said, the I20 looks like a much better proposition compared to the I10, and those who cannot stretch their budget would rather go for the other options than take the second best option from the Hyundai stable.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:11   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Can you say there is nothing wrong with the Beat, Swift, Ritz, jazz etc.
I didn't say there is nothing wrong with these cars! What I said is, IMO, there is nothing special to i10.

For Swift, there is the engine, handling and modern looks.
For i20, there is style and features.
For Punto, there is the driving dynamics.
For Ritz, there is the engine, space, and distinct rear looks (though not liked by many).
For Beat, there is the space-age (comic too?) looks that pleases all.
For Jazz, there is the engine and space.

For i10, what is there to say like this? Looks? Just plain, IMO. Engine? Not as good as K12 or Jazz's. Handling? Poor. Comfort? Bumpy. Space? Nothing like the others' mentioned here.

Quote:
IMO, as a car its stands tall, so tall that Beat, WR, Figo (all Petrol) don't even get close and the YoY sales suggest that.
In terms of sales, WR beats i10 by a good margin (except last month, which is due to the launch of new WR). Please check the sales figures. Actually, Hyundai lost the WR-Santro fight, and now, the WR-i10 fight too.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:22   #34
BHPian

To be honest, this has turned into an i10 bashing thread. Questioning the character of a B segment car is going overboard. It's a car that does it's job well, although the some competitors could be doing a better job in some aspects - jack of all, master of none.

It could use a price cut (highly unlikely that's going to happen) and their service stations must stop being ruthless sponges.
Recompose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:34   #35
BHPian

My in-laws own an i10. I have driven it extensively and find the pick and performance adequate for a car in that segment. The FE is average, nothing to write home about. Though we had some issues with the power steering motor, it was changed under warranty and since then there have been no issues.
But if you start comparing to other cars in the same segment, things change. i10 is more pricey, has lesser resale value and FE.
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
To be honest, this has turned into an i10 bashing thread. Questioning the character of a B segment car is going overboard. It's a car that does it's job well, although the some competitors could be doing a better job in some aspects - jack of all, master of none.

It could use a price cut (highly unlikely that's going to happen) and their service stations must stop being ruthless sponges.
Thats correct and the typical Indian herd mentality is at play with every other person who has probably never sat in an i10 commenting about it

from my limited experience of owning an i10 over <3 yrs and a little over 31000 kms, here is what i think this car is all about

Pluses:

1) Superb interiors in this segment - This includes FIT, FINISH, QUALITY OF MATERIALS AND THEY WAY THEY AGE. After 3 years, not a single squeak, rattle, loose panel etc

2) Butter smooth gear shift - You get this kind of a smooth shift probably only 2 segments higher - PERIOD

3) Super light steering - a boon in city traffic.

4) Decent boot space

5) Superb highway FE - I consistently get 17-19.5kmpl in highways

6) Very driveable engine within city unlike Maruti/Honda engines which are more peaky in power delivery

Minuses:

1) City FE - for the Kappa 1.2, I manage to get between 10-12kmpl with a/c usage in Chennai traffic. This I understand does not satisfy many who claim better figures with Maruti cars

2) Same pt as 6 above is also a minus because the engine is not free revving. Hence accelerating the car through the gears is not a joyful experience. But why would you want to do this when FE is on top of your mind

Apart from the above, from my personal experience, all this talk of weak suspension, poor highway dynamics , light steering with "no feel" etc are just rubbish.

Out of the 31k kms I have covered, around 20K kms were in the highways. I have done quite a few 2000+km trips with family + luggage. Never found the i10 wanting for power or lack of handling in highways. What do you guys try in the highways with a such a car - corner carving at 100kmph ? pls dont expect a small car to do that. Also when a lot of people say " no feel " in steering, I wonder whether they have always been driving Ferraris and Porsches that they suddenly feel the "lack if steering feedback" once stepping into an i10 !

While coming to the drop in sales

1) Petrol engine only cars have anyway seen a huge dip. Hence its no surprise

2) Is the i10 overpriced ? No - it already carries a huge discount. With that factored in, and the interior quality, its worth it. If you want a bare bone car with just great FE, please shop elsewhere

3) Eon coming in has resulted in a lot of downgrading by potential buyers.

Last edited by narayan : 23rd January 2013 at 11:50.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:09   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The i10's sales are under pressure only because it lacks a diesel engine. Fact is, the petrol segment has shrunk over the last 12 - 18 months. Give it a diesel and the car will fly off shelves.

Personally, I love the i10 and it remains one of my top recommendations to those looking at a city hatchback. The Kappa2 engine is a jewel, the interiors are top notch, it's got a nice gearshift and the car is overall very "finished". An excellent commuter.

Only thing I don't like about the i10 is its imperfect ride on Indian roads.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:30   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post

Cannot agree more with you. Looks like We have so many members who were waiting to vomit their anger for i10 .
BTW, Why are we comparing WagonR and i10. Tomm ppl will start comapring i10 and Alto.
The point is i10 technically a segment above, isnt it ? We are talking about a car which has turned Hyundai's fortunes in India and its their lifeline. i10 still beats BeatP, FigoP, RitzP hands down in features, engine, FTD and sales. Looks are subjective so i wont comment on that.

C'mon guys, i agree i10 has some minuses but then which car hasn't ? Lets be a bit modest and unbiased. Its still one of the best cars in the market.
We cannot undermine the fact that when it comes to Beat, Swift or Ritz, its their oil burners which are pulling the graph.
Go to Pratham Motors on ORR and ask for swift Vxi, its available in a week and in turn it takes 4-6 months for Vdi. Aren't we clear yet ? The thread is going in a wrong direction IMO.

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 23rd January 2013 at 12:32.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:44   #39
BANNED

Quote:
i10 still beats BeatP, FigoP, RitzP hands down in features, engine, FTD and sales.
i10 beats RitzP hands down in engine and FTD? Common man, please - you can say anything else, but not this. The free-revving K12 is any day better than Kappa that loses its steam very early when revved hard.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 23rd January 2013 at 13:54.
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
i10 beats RitzP hands down in engine and FTD? Common man, please - you can say anything else, but not this.
If FTD is is only fast cornering --> the Ritz would be better
If FTD is zipping easily in the city --> i10 beats Ritz

i10 would also be slightly faster off the line due to its lower kerb weight.
i10 featurewise beats everything below (wagonR), same (brio) and above (Swift). To give an example of an i10 Magna which is the base version with 1.2 engine:
- i10 has body side moulding strip. Brio lacks.
- Interior door handles covered in Chrome. Others dont have in base models.
- i10 has has all 4 PW. Brio has only 2 in E and EX models.
- i10 has turn indicators in the side mirrors which is a nice touch. Brio does not.
- i10 has internal mirror electric adjustments. Rest 3 dont in entry level models.
- i10 ARAI numbers are better than Brio and Swift.
- The ride is definitely better than Brio and WagonR . Swift is more better.
- I for one have found the i10 AC a chiller. Not sure about others.
- Interiors are way better than all 3 to look at.

i10 FE is not bad compared to the Swift and Brio. 12-13 with AC is city is respectable in Mumbai in semi-urban traffic.

i10 is a very respectable car and at the discounts currently on offer, it is very much worth it . Try comparing the prices after discounts of i10 Magna and Brio S. The S works out nearly 45k over the i10 with the inclusion of a crappy music system in Brio.

Similarly, i10 Magna is only 40k over the WagonR VXI post discounts with more features than the WagonR.

Last edited by dipen : 23rd January 2013 at 14:13.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

The all new i10 production is supposed to start by Sep - Oct 2013 (source, well, auto industry sources, as I am part of it). Let us hope Hyundai has done enough to rectify all the negative points and also plonked in a diesel engine this time!

The high service costs (if it is actually the case) is something Hyundai will have to work upon seriously. In India, once a model / make is branded as 'high maintenance', the common car buying populace wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
City FE - for the Kappa 1.2, I manage to get between 10-12kmpl with a/c usage in Chennai traffic. This I understand does not satisfy many who claim better figures with Maruti cars
More than the actual FE, it is the deviation from the claimed FE that irritates most customers, which in turn makes the customers feel they've been taken for a ride.

An out of the world Fuel Efficiency of 20.36 is actually i10's USP as per the official website of i10. Pasting the snapshot from the Hyundai i10 India homepage:

Name:  i10.png
Views: 3637
Size:  146.9 KB

I hope you too would agree how difficult it might be to get such an FE from i10 even on highway run. On the other hand, the FE numbers mentioned for the competition is actually more realistic in highway runs.

IMO, unless atleast half of the customer base gets the FE that they claim, I would think of it as misleading claim. When the company advertises a certain FE and the owners get 60-70% of the claimed FE or even lesser, that would be the first complaint when they give the car for service. Service advisors in turn would blame the driving style of the customers as they cannot do anything to have the owners get the claimed FE. When the owners meet other i10 owners, they tend to discuss this and slowly understand that their low FE is not an isolated case and has got nothing to do with their driving style. It is this dissatisfaction that gets spread by word of mouth among the owners about pathetic FE of i10.

Quote:
Is the i10 overpriced ? No - it already carries a huge discount. With that factored in, and the interior quality, its worth it.
Discount is a drastic measure from manufacturer to price a model more sensibly and get the customers interested in. When we speak of overpricing, we should look at the official price. There would be a fraction of potential customers who think it is beyond their budget and wouldn't even bother to visit the showroom and check the ongoing discounts.

Compare i10/i20 Sportz and Asta variants. That should make it clear for you that i10 is overpriced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Before the arrival of the fluidic i20, the price difference between petrol Asta variants of i10 and i20 were around 50k IIRC. Hyundai themselves made it very clear to customers how overpriced i10 is. With that additional 50k, you were getting a bigger car with ACC and alloy wheels without missing any feature available in i10.

In the current scenario, Asta variants have a bigger price difference as the feature list is much longer for i20 Asta. In fact, current i20 Sportz offers most of i10 Asta features including ABS and driver air bags. Except for the passenger airbag, rear wash/wipe and spoiler, i10 Asta doesn't have anything to boast of over the i20 Sportz. Instead, you get alloy wheels, ACC, Reverse assist with camera, DRL etc in the feature list along with a bigger and more respectable car if you go for i20. All this at just an additional 40k.
Old 23rd January 2013, 14:28   #43
BHPian

Quote:

More than the actual FE, it is the deviation from the claimed FE that irritates most customers, which in turn makes the customers feel they've been taken for a ride.

An out of the world Fuel Efficiency of 20.36 is actually i10's USP as per the official website of i10.
Exactly. There has to be a semblance of reality in their claims. I have an i10 AT which gives 10kmpl while the sales marketing pitch was " sir, 15-16 atleast". Of course I never believed him.
Two of my colleagues who have the manual i10 say it gives only 11-12kmpl even in a small town like Udupi.
I don't think even the Santro was fuel efficient. But somehow Hyundai has managed to fool the Indian public into believing they are fuel efficient. At the same time Palio which was a much better car sank on poor FE.
Old 23rd January 2013, 15:07   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Thats correct and the typical Indian herd mentality is at play with every other person who has probably never sat in an i10 commenting about it

Apart from the above, from my personal experience, all this talk of weak suspension, poor highway dynamics , light steering with "no feel" etc are just rubbish.

pls dont expect a small car to do that. Also when a lot of people say " no feel " in steering, I wonder whether they have always been driving Ferraris and Porsches that they suddenly feel the "lack if steering feedback" once stepping into an i10 !

Exactly what I wanted to convey. Also I don't understand why people say Ritz, Beat and Figo sell better than the i10. All these models have a diesel variant too which apparently accounts for 80 % of the diesel : petrol split. The i10 beats all of them comfortably with it's petrol only motor. And still it's called a car without any character!

Last edited by eyesice : 23rd January 2013 at 15:09. Reason: Two smiley's per post
Old 23rd January 2013, 16:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Discount is a drastic measure from manufacturer to price a model more sensibly and get the customers interested in. When we speak of overpricing, we should look at the official price. There would be a fraction of potential customers who think it is beyond their budget and wouldn't even bother to visit the showroom and check the ongoing discounts.
Agree with Para 1 above.

But disagree on Para 2. Discounts come in to promote sales at a point of time. When I bought the i10 in 2010 March, there was hardly any discount. From thereon, started the steady increase in petrol prices and by 2011 when my friend bought the VTVT i10, he got good discounts and after that there has been no looking back ( in terms of discounts ). Hence discount does not necessarily mean a result of overpricing but only means that at any given point of time a manufacturer wants to give a reduction in price to sustain sales ( in this case due to the onslaught of diesel small cars )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks