Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:05   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i10 and its falling sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

Never found the i10 wanting for power or lack of handling in highways. What do you guys try in the highways with a such a car - corner carving at 100kmph ? pls dont expect a small car to do that. Also when a lot of people say " no feel " in steering, I wonder whether they have always been driving Ferraris and Porsches that they suddenly feel the "lack if steering feedback" once stepping into an i10 !
While I agree with your points on the virtues of the i10, I don't agree with the above point of yours. People need not drive Ferraris to complain of lack of steering feel. Just drive a Punto or a Figo and you'll know what they mean.

All Hyundai cars I've driven so far have a lifeless steering. The cars driven were i20, old Verna and the Sonata Embera. Even the WagonR, Estillo and Swift have such traits. You can go through the thread on best steering feel and feedback on this forum.
Old 23rd January 2013, 22:37   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
New gen Wagon R is quite spacious than previous gen [we own(ed) both]. I will consider the new gen at par or better than i10. But I still don't agree to Swift being spacious (rear) than i10 (I had back to back TDs). I own a Swift, the front seats are better, but the rear leg room is worse than an i10! May be we can agree to disagree!
I have to agree. Just realised I never experienced the rear seat of both the cars ever though I am driving a swift for 4.5 years now!
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 23:41   #63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Just to clarify, Romeomidhun meant - Come on, man!
Thanks for pointing out that big big mistake. Sorry, if that hurted anyone. Mods, please correct it.
Old 24th January 2013, 09:59   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

There are six i10s owned by people close to me. If you ask them why i10, the replies I got was "The car looks cute", "It looks good" and the like. Out of it, one is the Irde, while five others are kappas, two of them automatics. While the irde owner mention he gets 14-15 average in the city, the kappa owners say nothing more than 12. I can assure you, all of them are non enthusiast drivers, who drive very sedately. One car is two years old and it doesn't even have a single nick, and that is how it is kept. Yet they don't get good FE.

Having driven the i10 in the western ghats, the kappa cannot be called as underpowered. It packs in enough punch for some good accelaration. To add to it, if we are in the right gear, the car is very zippy. The grouse is that, its handling does not do justice to the power. Once I cross 80, it starts bouncing around. And then you get shouts from the rear to slow down.

IMO, these factors are not immediately noticed by a customer(non enthusiast) but they realise it in the longrun. Now if you ask the owner, they will have such opinion, thus affecting sales in the longrun.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 10:33   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Never found the i10 wanting for power or lack of handling in highways. What do you guys try in the highways with a such a car - corner carving at 100kmph ? pls dont expect a small car to do that. Also when a lot of people say " no feel " in steering, I wonder whether they have always been driving Ferraris and Porsches that they suddenly feel the "lack if steering feedback" once stepping into an i10 !
It is you who is benchmarking Ferrari and Porsche for steering feedback, don't think anyone else has pointed that out.

While Figo & Punto are from a segment above, Brio makes for a good example. Had the steering feel of an i10 been similar, I don't think there would have been many complaints.

The pricing of i10 is threateningly close to Cars a segment above & hence the imminent comparison.

And it is not just i10, but most Cars out in India from Hyundai have lifeless steering. But then, i10 is predominately a very good urban runabout Car and I personally wouldn't look much into it.

No, I didn't feel the lack of power at any point of time whenever I have driven the i10 for a 1.2 liter petrol engine.

Have gotten above 15+ on highways with A/C on with 3 people & a bit of luggage. Was driving enthusiastically so much so that the 155 Kumhos could be heard a kilometer away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
While I agree with your points on the virtues of the i10, I don't agree with the above point of yours. People need not drive Ferraris to complain of lack of steering feel. Just drive a Punto or a Figo and you'll know what they mean.

All Hyundai cars I've driven so far have a lifeless steering. The cars driven were i20, old Verna and the Sonata Embera. Even the WagonR, Estillo and Swift have such traits. You can go through the thread on best steering feel and feedback on this forum.
I honestly feel, i10's sale have reached a bit of saturation point and someone looking to buy a product in that range, usually skips it. Goes and buys an i20, Swift etc.

Hyundai should keep the models whose pricing is bang in the middle of the Eon and i20. Rest maybe booted.

IMHO, Wagon-R is from a segment below. And Alto is the stepping stone, so no comparison with Alto. Wagon-R? Yes, but MUL has more sales & service outlets WRT to Hyundai, please factor in that as well.

The imminent hike in diesel prices should bring some spike in the sales of petrol Cars and i10 should benefit from it as well.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 11:38   #66
BHPian

This thread turned into an I10 basher, and I somehow feel guilty of being part of it, although I was not trying to demean the i10 in anyway :P

But the point is, we talk of cars in this forum at a totally different level. most common buyers (especially in the mid priced hatchback price range) do not go to such details in making their buying decisions.
i have seen people who think the rear space in the Swift (old model) is more than the Indica, simple because it 'looks' so!!! Perception, heresay forms a huge part of car buying decisions, with every potential buyer taking advice from some self imposed 'expert' who give all the weirdest logics!! (i myself have faced such wellwisher imposing their opinions on me, and am sure others too much have had such experiences).
In terms of perception, I10 does not have the kind of distinction that the others have...and I seriously feel it is because the model is spread across such a wide range that it is compared to a number of cars ranging from the Wagon R to the Swift.

I wonder how many buyers are acutely aware of the Kappa2 (leave alone Kappa) and IRDE variant simultaneously existing in the same model...most are only aware of the price range, below 4 lakhs and above 4 lakhs.

We in teambhp try to develope a more objective view about all cars, but the market runs on subjective opinions. And it is in this regard that the I10 fails to make a mark. mind you, the sales figures are not that bad for the I10, which proves that there are many who seriously like the car, or are convinced to buy it once they have tried other cars as well. But finally it comes down to perceptions.
amitayu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 14:10   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
This thread turned into an I10 basher, and I somehow feel guilty of being part of it, although I was not trying to demean the i10 in anyway :P
I'm looking at it from a slightly different angle. Everyone contributing to this thread (myself included) would fall into the 'self imposed expert' category that you mentioned- either at a smaller level like within the family or at a larger level that includes friends and colleagues. There are some facts that we know of and there are some myths that we've heard of. With discussions like this, everyone contributing to it gets their myths corrected by others who know the facts while they try to help others by correcting the myths based on the facts they know. Without these threads, everyone would live with their own perceptions and the 'subjective' opinions that you mentioned and share them with others when asked.

No manufacturer advertises the cons of their cars though they do project all the pros. In such a situation, there has to be some place that calls the spade as it is.

If we start a thread for bashing Zen or Swift, I'd be among the first to contribute as I have huge first hand experience with both.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2013, 18:48   #68
Senior - BHPian

I have driven the i10 in the city for some 20kms and on the highway for 100-odd kms. It is a nice car to drive (never felt lacking in power) and the gear-shift is oh-so-smooth. I drove it safe on the highways like I would any tall-boy and so no idea about handling. While I stuck to a max of 100-110, my co-drivers were doing 140-160 in some stretches. Steering is light, which is OK with me, given that it is EPS. Nothing much in exterior looks for it to stand out. Infact, I hate it's frontal looks though, while the rear looks decent.

Overall a nice car for that segment, with the FE being the only blocker for me, apart from it being a Hyundai (prefer Japanese cars, no offense to anyone). I guess it's pricing goes against it and also the service costs (one reason for this could be due to the more frequent service intervals).

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th January 2013 at 19:11.
Old 24th January 2013, 19:43   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
No manufacturer advertises the cons of their cars though they do project all the pros. In such a situation, there has to be some place that calls the spade as it is.
Well Said.

And I believe that we must know the drawbacks of our ride before we spend money on them. These drawback can be sourced only from such threads.
Old 25th January 2013, 01:30   #70
BHPian

I think I have nailed the issue plaguing i-10. Its SRK !!. Neither the young (innovation seeker-motoring enthsiast) nor the older audience (comfort-economy types) can any longer relate with this "man" and hence the car. Change the mascot & it would do a world of good for the image of the brand. Can't do much about the product anyways .

I think Hyundai also knows as much. Even though they must have paid big bucks for his comic grin, they have ensured till date that even his shadow never came anywhere near a Getz, Accent,Sonata,Elantra, let alone an Eon, i-20 or a fluidic verna/elantra today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
i10 beats RitzP hands down in engine and FTD? Common man, please - you can say anything else, but not this. The free-revving K12 is any day better than Kappa that loses its steam very early when revved hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
I am a common man and so are most of the members in this forum, aren't you a part of the same herd ? Moreover, I said what i felt right and sensible IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recompose View Post
Just to clarify, Romeomidhun meant - Come on, man!

This is SERIOUSLY EPIC !! Loving this thread

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th January 2013 at 08:57. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
gitartha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 06:50   #71
Senior - BHPian

So much flak for a B segment car !!
Personally, I think after the facelift, i10 is overpriced. No dought it has a lot of features, but they are 'good to have' , not 'must have' ones. I got my Asta AT for 5.65 on road in 2009, guess that's a lakh dearer now.
I completely disagree on the low FE posts, please check my i10 thread for FE values. Also, the light steering is optimally weighed down after a tire upgrade. The engine has smooth linear power delivery which is rare to find in other cars.No lack of power was felt by me ever trying to do safe speeds. Perhaps the i10 Kappa 1 engine is more suited to the AT box. As for the ride - yes it is bumpy for sure, and the lower profile tires I have makes me slow down before even the smallest bump.

As someone suggested, Hyundai might want to do some housekeeping on removing the overlapping propositions of eon, i10 and i20.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 09:50   #72
BHPian

Hi All,
I own an I10 for the last 3 years and it is a full value for money car. The below are my points that are purely my observations on the Car:

1) I used to get close to 13 in city driving in both Chennai and Bangalore (With A/C)
2) I used to get close to 19 in highways.(With A/C)
3) My service bills are close to 2600 ( i do wheel allignment and balancing at separate tyre dealer)

Reason of low sales:
1) After the launch of the new kappa 2 Engine the sales started to drip down owing to extra cost.
2) The interiors lost it glamour after the change of the dash color from beige to grey.

Regards,
Vivek S
Old 25th January 2013, 21:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

It seems even Hyundai has run out of ideas for the i10 story.

Old 25th January 2013, 23:06   #74
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, this thread is spreading out a wrong message that the i10 is falling off a cliff in terms of sales, while the situation is hardly so. Agreed, the i10 used to sell consistently above 12,000 units per month while it just manages an average of around 8000 units now.

But, won't credits be given for a car that is still selling at this level almost at the end of its lifecycle? Which other car at the time of its launch had interiors that can be comparable to cars two segments above in terms of fit and finish? Which other manufacturer took the initiative to load their model with as much features as the i10 had in its heydays? Isn't its super-light steering and butter-smooth gearshift a boon in the city that we all love so much? The i10 isn't a new car. Launched in 2007, the car is now almost 6 years old. Agreed, cars like the Indica are even older, but who else is buying them apart from cabbies? Every other car, including the Wagon-R that is being praised here by many members, have went through a major facelift. The i10 only had a minor cosmetic facelift to keep it going.

Do not forget that Hyundai is in the process of developing the next-generation i10 which is expected to hit the road later this year or early next year. I am sure that once the new model is launched, the i10 will go straight to the top of its segment.

It is actually models like A-Star and Estilo which have hardly taken off in the market that needs threads like these.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 16:46   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitayu View Post
I bought a Ritz (petrol) last march and tried out most cars within that range.
2) service period of 6 months vis-a-vis 12 months, coupled with higher servicing charges result in overall higher maintenance costs for I10. take into account the general perception about Maruti reliability, and this factor really weighs more heavily against the I10.
Isn't the service frequency for i10 now 1 year. I bought my i10 in July 2012; the user manual had a label pasted over saying 'since apr 2012, the service frequency of Hyundai cars is 1 year'. In fact, my friend who bought a wagonR at the same time continues to have 6 month service frequency. So, the claim of high maintenance/service cost of Hyundai cars doesn't hold much water.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks