Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2013, 18:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Laura TSI DSG on Skoda India's website!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
http://www.carwale.com/used/cardetails.aspx?car=D414867
Does this look like a this a genuine TSI AT

Since GTO mentioned about limited numbers, maybe Skoda would have tried earlier too.
Very interesting car. It is indeed a TSI as per the badging on the rear and pics of the engine bay. The presence of the DSG gear lever of course means its a DSG AT.

Here's why this is a very intersting car...
1) The colour has not been on offer on the Laura facelift since launch
2) The interior colour scheme is black which is similar to the European versions which was only recently offered only in the vRS trim.
3) The TSI AT was launched very very recently as the thread suggests. So how come this is a 2009 car?

Seems to me to be some test car imported from Europe and used by Skoda themselves as the reg no. seems to be of Aurangabad (Correct me if I am wrong here).
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 18:45   #17

I have confirmed news that this particular car was there at the Autobahn sewri workshop in Mumbai nearly an year back, it was there for a gearbox issue ( no surprise it being the 7 speed one) the service manager at that time told me that this was a r&d vehicle brought down by skoda itself.

So this is no indication of the DSG TSi launching.

Also, spoke to autobahn and JMD, both claimed that they have no idea about this.
Old 2nd February 2013, 18:53   #18
BHPian

Quote:
http://www.carwale.com/used/cardetails.aspx?car=D414867
Does this look like a this a genuine TSI AT

Since GTO mentioned about limited numbers, maybe Skoda would have tried earlier too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Very interesting car. It is indeed a TSI as per the badging on the rear and pics of the engine bay. The presence of the DSG gear lever of course means its a DSG AT.

2) The interior colour scheme is black which is similar to the European versions which was only recently offered only in the vRS trim.
3) The TSI AT was launched very very recently as the thread suggests. So how come this is a 2009 car?

Seems to me to be some test car imported from Europe and used by Skoda themselves as the reg no. seems to be of Aurangabad (Correct me if I am wrong here).
This does seem to be a test car imported by Skoda and yes you our correct on the registration no. being of Aurangabad. I guess more information about the car can be found through the dealer selling the car and through the registration no.
Old 2nd February 2013, 19:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Before someone asks a question, let me answer it

250nm = Max Torque DQ200 DSG7 can handle
250nm = Max Torque 1.8 TSI makes

Related thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...not-india.html
True, but if the DQ200 was a nightmare on the Superb, which uses the TSI motor in the same state of tune as the Laura, Skoda is taking a huge risk on whatever brand image it has left in the market.

Quote:

Interesting indeed. Though what if this is a private import? Will Skoda dealerships service it here?
Old 2nd February 2013, 19:12   #20
BANNED

Quote:

Agree with you , would also like to add that the alloys on the car were only available in India on the pre-facelift Laura.
Old 2nd February 2013, 20:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav667 View Post

True, but if the DQ200 was a nightmare on the Superb, which uses the TSI motor in the same state of tune as the Laura, Skoda is taking a huge risk on whatever brand image it has left in the market.
Have to disagree. The DQ 200 is a core gearbox for VW group. Yes, it has had problems worldwide (and I am not sure they have been ironed out) but it is too important to be eliminated. Wonder if the launch of the Laura AT has anything to do with the rumoured launch of the Polo 1.2 TSI AT, which comes worldwide equipped with the DQ200 DSG box? And will that lead to a change in the specs of the Vento AT too?
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 22:03   #22
BHPian

With all due respect to their market research, I fail to get the logic. So they bring a AT variant to a low selling variant in their product family. Who are they trying to attract? The only folks who dropped TSI since it did not have AT?
Diesel VRS would have sold better. (I know… this is like my dream) On other thread I see the kit level going up on Ambition and other trims. Now that's a right move Skoda. Since the day1 Ambition should have been like Elegance and the Elegance like L&K.
samyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Have to disagree. The DQ 200 is a core gearbox for VW group. Yes, it has had problems worldwide (and I am not sure they have been ironed out) but it is too important to be eliminated. Wonder if the launch of the Laura AT has anything to do with the rumoured launch of the Polo 1.2 TSI AT, which comes worldwide equipped with the DQ200 DSG box? And will that lead to a change in the specs of the Vento AT too?
According to Volkswagen, the problems on the DQ200 occur only under specific driving conditions. Since these driving conditions exist in India, I still have my doubts on how the gearbox will perform on the Laura, considering all the similarities it has with the Superb.

IMO DCT's are still not ready for the prime time mass market appeal in India. For owners who understand its character, chances are they will appreciate the tech, but for the normal Joe, dual clutch has a long way to go yet.

Then again, I hold my hands up if I am wrong.

Quote:
The 7-speed dual clutch gearbox can, for example, become too hot when the vehicle pulls off regularly, long periods of "crawling speed" or stop and go traffic. The overheating of the gearbox is indicated by the warning lamp and possibly also by a text in a combi-instrument display. An acoustic warning tone may also be heard. Stop the vehicle and allow the gearbox to cool down.

- If you stop the vehicle on a gradient, do not attempt to stop it from rolling back by depressing the accelerator when a gear has been selected. The automatic gearbox could overheat and be damaged.

- Never allow the vehicle to roll in position N, particularly if the ignition is switched off. The automatic gearbox will not be lubricated and could be damaged.
On something smaller such as the Polo 1.2 TSI, the DSG shouldn't be as vulnerable as it is on the Superb, considering the lower torque output. I personally am really looking forward to the Polo 1.2 TSI AT as it fits my requirements perfectly. The demand for Petrol AT's in the C-segment is still fairly limited, so unless they come up with a Vento Diesel DSG, it wouldn't be very feasible for them to upgrade it.
Old 2nd February 2013, 23:59   #24
BHPian

I also saw the skoda website yesterday and saw TSI AT, was surprised. Went to JMD workshop for getting oil topped up in my Laura, they did not have any idea about the same. Surprised as the new Laura is round the corner, may be Skoda is testing waters before they launch the new generation Laura. Though, am doubtful about the reliability of the 7 speed DSG + the 1.8 TSI as we have seen some failures in the Superb.
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Skoda would just launch limited numbers to test waters since the new Octy is around the corner. It will not advertise it heavily. They should have launched it as a limited edition model which would be much better than the stickering companies.
Old 4th February 2013, 10:13   #26
BHPian

If the pricing on the first page is correct, Skoda will find it very difficult to get any traction for TSI A/T sales. A 50k price diff between it and their dieself a/t with a more reliable gearbox is going to be a very hard sell for Indian consumers. That said, I hope this is the first step towards a trend of the VW group offering automatic transmissions with their TSI engines across the board. A more interesting option would be the dsg a/t on the 1.4TSI in the Jetta at a reasonably lower price than this.
apurva512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 11:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
A more interesting option would be the dsg a/t on the 1.4TSI in the Jetta at a reasonably lower price than this.
Nope, the 1.4 should be moved down the line to the Vento and Rapid and then numbers will speak. It will kill the highest selling petrol in the segment(City) by a hugh margin. Heck many diesel buyers may also be temped.

A Jetta petrol cannot be slower than a Honda City. The 1.4 in the Jetta is uninspiring. Its not as refined as the 1.8 and neither as silent as the Japs.
The Jetta petrol mid variant (highline not offered) is already 16 OTR Mumbai with discounts. With an AT, the price would tilt in favor of the Laura diesel AT big time.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, the 1.4 should be moved down the line to the Vento and Rapid and then numbers will speak. It will kill the highest selling petrol in the segment(City) by a hugh margin. Heck many diesel buyers may also be temped.
+1 to that. On a different note, does anyone have any idea on the launch of Vento TSI or Polo TSI? What would be the latest information on that?

Last I remember there were some discussions of Vento/Polo 1.2 TSI with 120 bhp. Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me.
Old 4th February 2013, 17:36   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I doubt if the Vento or the Rapid will get the 1.4TSI (unless its touted as a performance variant). The global replacement for the current 1.6MPFI is the 105bhp 1.2 TSI. And I don’t think the 1.4 TSI in the Jetta is really underpowered (0-100 in 10.5 seconds is quite good IMO). Just that it sounds uninspiring when compared to the 1.8TSI
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 19:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
And I don’t think the 1.4 TSI in the Jetta is really underpowered (0-100 in 10.5 seconds is quite good IMO). Just that it sounds uninspiring when compared to the 1.8TSI
But when we compare Civic's 8.xx to the ton, Corolla is nearly the same, City's near 10 to the ton and then I know that I paid 16 big ones for the Jetta and the cheaper one smoked me even when I am not getting a big advantage in FE; it would hurt. The VFM proposition is lacking with the Jetta 1.4 TSI. And the 1.4 TSI just does not sound as refined as the others. No doubt, the 6MT gearbox is a marvel to use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks