Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 15:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?

The Ritz is any day better VFM than the swift. Its more comfortable to drive than the swift but swift trades comfort for nimble dynamic abilities that makes it a fun to drive little car. But the price difference can't be justified in any case. And the swift really a premium hatch? Just compare the top of the line swift with that of the Honda Jazz or even the i20. What's there in the swift? ABS and airbags won't make a car premium and that's what we see in the swift. The Ritz gives a feeling of a big car than the swift from the interiors and for those who don't agree, the dash of the Ritz is one and half feet deep that means that you can't touch the bottom part of the windscreen without fully stretching your back!!
And as far as looks are considered does the Ritz look that bad? People should develop the mentality to accept something new and innovative than following roadside engineering. The rear of the Ritz is named as radical styling and got a nice boomerang shape but what we can say about the rear of the swift? The swift is selling like hot cakes for now but what happens if someone comes with a spicy hatchback?
I have seen that most of the Bhpians here are having negative views about the way the Ritz looks like. But I must say that atleast we Bhpians should have the guts to accept something that have some thought in it.

And no offense meant to swift lovers

Last edited by noopster : 5th March 2013 at 10:41. Reason: Please check your PM
Old 4th March 2013, 15:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

The Ritz as rightly pointed out by many is a very practical option of the two cars with the right ingredients of space, power and comfort.

However the main thing is really that Ritz has a very BIG back problem
Now doesn't Suzuki know from all the feedback they get and umpteen number of time this has been reinforced that many hate the 'Boomerang' rear albeit being practical.

Instead of giving out all those discounts, a minor mod job to get the rear a bit more acceptable would at least double the car's sales and bring it closer to its fair sibling.

They could even toy with the idea of offering both the body styles, one at a lower rate and the other closer to Swift and draw many more customers into their fold.
Old 4th March 2013, 16:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I think you missed the feature list aspect. Just because both variants are termed VDi doesn't mean the feature list is identical. If the feature list is different, the difference cannot be termed purely as premium for one model over the other.

Since we are comparing the V variants, there is a difference in the feature list too, when it comes to the new Swift vs Ritz. I haven't done a feature by feature comparison recently but I think the V variant of old Swift and Ritz were more or less on par. When the new Swift was launched, the V variant got some additional features like the electric ORVMs with turn indicators, MID, tilt steering and so on.

That said, I do agree that the feature list difference can in no way command a premium of 1.1L but that's how the economics is. When supply is more than demand, it is buyer's heaven. When it is the other way round, its seller's paradise. Same thing holds good for all top selling models including Duster.
Actually, there are not many additional features in Swift,only notable ones being Silver accents , RVM mounted indicator and retractable cup-holder for passenger, whereas Ritz has the highly useful 60:40 foldable rear seat, conspicuous by its absence in Swift.
Old 4th March 2013, 16:01   #19
BHPian

Problem is, even if you tend to make a rational decision, the better resale of Swift becomes a major factor then. Keeping that in mind, you need to then ask whether a 40-50K premium is justified or not.

And we also need to realise that for people graduating from entry level hatchbacks or buying a new car, the Swift is an aspirational product, unlike the Ritz (for reasons already mentioned here).
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 16:03   #20
BHPian

frankly, why would I spend extra money so that the driver of the car behind me does not face a eyesore? How many times would I be seeing the rear end of my own car?

That was the logic I gave myself when i bought a Ritz! Don't regret the decision either...driving the car is such a charm!!!! And funnily, i find reversing to be easier in the Ritz, as the flat almost straightened back line is easier to judge over the blind spot of the C pillar. I know for certain where my car exactly ends and have to adjust less for bulges.

But perceptions are perceptions, and a car is often such an emotive issue (we bhp-ians surely understand) that often logic takes a backseat.
amitayu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 17:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoNanu View Post
Hi GTO, please explain the brakes being powerful in L &V variants? Could not understand why specifically these variants and how they differ from Z? I have driven only the V and they are spot on, not driven a Z.
The L & V variants of the new gen Swift are known to have braking issues. There is a whole thread dedicated to this topic. OTOH the Ritz doesnt suffer from this discrimination.

The way I see, the market perception of Swift is that it is a car for the young at heart and for the enthusiastic. The Ritz on the other hand has a much less agressive design which would mostly be targeted by the more mature audience. Ofcourse, in todays world, irrespective of age, everyone wants sporty looks and styling and this is where the Ritz loses out, practicality thrown out of the door in most cases.

Last edited by racer_ash : 4th March 2013 at 17:39. Reason: typo
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 17:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

If you line up both the Ritz and the Swift and ask anyone which car looks better, i am sure 95% people will pick the Swift .
Once you step inside both the car,the feel that you get in a swift is surely better .Swift definitely feel upmarket, no doubts about it .
The new swift has a lot of stuff which looks and feels better than Ritz .
Yes. 1.1 lac is too much of a difference, but then i agree, swift should always cost more then a Ritz.

This what GTO had to say about the Ritz
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[u]
In a nutshell, the young unmarried dude will probably still buy a Swift. But for someone with kids / family, the Ritz makes immensely more sense.
[/i]
So i am sure a lot of people will not mind paying a lac more when they pick a car, and that is why Maruti is charging a premium on Swift .

Cheers

Last edited by Schoudhury : 4th March 2013 at 17:23.
Old 4th March 2013, 19:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

When i checked the prices were (OTR Bangalore):
Ritz VDi: ~6.9L
Swift VDi ~7.5L

The premium is around 60K. Both Ritz and Swift are overpriced for what they offer, the Ritz by around 50K and the Swift by around 80K.

: Many people I know are oblivious to the fact that Swift ZDi is costlier than the Polo Highline by a good 9-10K. In Bangalore, Swift ZDi costs ~8.5L and Polo Highline costs ~8.4L.

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 4th March 2013 at 19:56.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
When i checked the prices were (OTR Bangalore):
Ritz VDi: ~6.9L
Swift VDi ~7.5L
@Blue_pulsar, This was before the Rs 10k price hike, around Jan, after which Ritz VDi was around 7.05 L. Now, it has additional discounts of up to Rs 50K(Consumer offer - 25k, Exchange offer - 25 K), effectively making the price ~6.5 L.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

In fact the Ritz aka Splash to the world was a Wagon R replacement. At the time of its launch, it was costlier than the Swift everywhere other than in our country. And here people had a liking for the Swift.
Old 4th March 2013, 22:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

One of the major factors that help deciding a car are the look and feel. In both departments, swift is much better looking or majority will think so and the interiors in swift are definitely more up market compared to Ritz.

Personally I believe both Ritz and Swift are over priced by about ~50K. When i was in the market looking for a car. I found interiors of Ritz bit of a let down and swift overpriced for what it offered and felt Figo was kind of in the middle and offered more for the money spent. Otherwise I think all of them are good products in there own domain and would keep respective owners happy.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2013, 22:57   #27
BANNED

Been living with the Ritz for two years and I am proud customer. Since I am mostly inside the car the rear design doesn't bother me much.

To describe the two in brief:

1) Ritz: This is a more sedate looking and practical hatchback with a decent interior that liven up the travel and keep the 'family' happy. The Ritz's interior felt better and well built when compared to the older generation swift's but the current ones are leading over the Ritz.

2) Swift: A trendy, young chiseled looking car that was made by keeping performance in mind and the 'family'.

As rightly point both in the Official review of the Ritz and in this thread by GTO, Ritz is for a Family and Swift is for a bachelor.

At the end of the day the customer has to decide his priorities and what he looking at the car's usage to be!

Slightly

Whether other Ritz owners have noticed it or not but I find the rear end design practical and sensible. Why?!

I have the VDi model that does not have the rear wash/wipe feature so in rainy season the rear window gets dirty at higher speeds. Since the rear glass is angled inwards the rain never drops on the glass but on the fender. This keeps the glass dry for a longer duration as compared to the outwardly angled rear glass in the swift and the rest cars.

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 13:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
@Blue_pulsar, This was before the Rs 10k price hike, around Jan, after which Ritz VDi was around 7.05 L. Now, it has additional discounts of up to Rs 50K(Consumer offer - 25k, Exchange offer - 25 K), effectively making the price ~6.5 L.
Hi

What if I do not have a car to exchange? That does change the difference equation a bit, doesn't it?
Old 5th March 2013, 14:12   #29
Team-BHP Support

When I got my Swift VDI, I paid Rs. 6,25,000/- something all inclusive on-road Pune. The current price is nearing 7,00,000/- or so (roughly). If I were in the market today for a hatch, it is no brainer that I would have picked up the Ritz ZDI for the price of a Swift VDI as fellow mod n_aditya did.

Whether the difference is justified? No way! As many others have put up, the Swift commands a premium resale although the Ritz pips it in almost all departments except handing and looks.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 17:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ritz loses out on desirability factor bigtime compared with swift.

Interiors are let down in Ritz, while swift has the best interiors in hatchback segment IMO.

Swift being the bestseller, enjoys premium pricing as well.
If maruti is somehow able to rectify the interiors and the broken back lookalike rear, they can boost ritz sales.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks