Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2013, 10:23   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Ritz would have probably sold a bit more numbers if the Swift was not present in the same showroom where the Ritz was. But then, I don't think MSIL cares about that marginal difference as long as they sell another Maruti....
In my view, its only because of MSIL, Ritz is managing decent shipping. If not it will be still bad.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:30   #47
Senior - BHPian

The product is good per se. Well put together and loads of interior space for a Maruti hatch. Easy ingress and egress. High seating position ensures a commanding view of the road.Tight chassis. The doors have a certain thickness not usually associated with Marutis. People are put off by the quirky rear looks especially when its standing right next to the handsome Swift in the showroom and Maruti has done absolutely nothing to address that. Difficult to do that on a tight budget because you need to attack the C pillar to solve that problem. Since most of the car buying decisions are made from the heart than the mind, this is where the Ritz loses out big time.

Last edited by longhorn : 7th March 2013 at 10:35.
Old 7th March 2013, 11:43   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley2 View Post
In my view, its only because of MSIL, Ritz is managing decent shipping. If not it will be still bad.
Actually , in my view, its only because of MSIL that Ritz is NOT managing decent numbers. Had it been born to any other parents, they would have addressed the rear-looks issue much more proactively; then maybe it would have emerged as a real competitor to Maruti.

But yes, imaginations aside, only Maruti can pull off the number of sales it is currently achieving with present Ritz.
Old 7th March 2013, 12:40   #49
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYB View Post
Two things which matter according to me and definitely make a big difference

1. The rear design. It still is quirky. People haven't accepted/digested this even now
2. Interiors of Swift feel and are, a class above. If Ritz had something similar or better to offer on the aesthetics part, it would be selling many many more numbers than it does now

Huge margins on Swift, yes! It is definitely overpriced for what it offers. That's nothing new isn't it?
Yep so true.

1) Ritz is perceived to be an i10 Sized Vehicle while the Swift is perceived to be an i20 Sized Vehicle. Though in my view the sizing is i10<Ritz<Swift<i20.

2) Earlier Ritz had better interiors than the Old Swift, then the new Swift came along and matched and bettered the Ritz interior (simply by using the latest suzuki standard stuff for cars of the segment then.)

3) Swift is generally felt to be a better looker than Ritz. - Tough most appreciate that Ritz actually provided more usable space on the inside.

4) Yes Maruti makes a lot lot more on the Swift, which may actually be costing them lesser than the Ritz, Yet other manufacturers in the segment would be happy with just the Ritz numbers, one prices the car as per the market and then even higher if the market takes a liking for it, and then why not with a long wait period on hand.

5) Maruti needs to relook the ritz exterior.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 12:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but the Ritz (both petrol and diesel) has a very hard clutch when compared to Swift.

I find it quite surprising considering that mechanically the cars are similar including the gearbox and engine.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Old 7th March 2013, 16:23   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I don't know if anyone else has noticed it, but the Ritz (both petrol and diesel) has a very hard clutch when compared to Swift.

I find it quite surprising considering that mechanically the cars are similar including the gearbox and engine.

Anyone else experienced the same?
Yes,the clutch is indeed very hard,especially when one shifts from driving a vehicle with lighter clutch.I have pointed this to the service center people and they've also said that its hard.Why?They have no answer.
Old 7th March 2013, 18:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
...Maruti has done absolutely nothing to address that. Difficult to do that on a tight budget because you need to attack the C pillar to solve that problem. Since most of the car buying decisions are made from the heart than the mind, this is where the Ritz loses out big time.
Maruti need not do anything to address this, as this is not a problem ast his is only a view expressed that its not looking good. With sales over 4000 units per month, its still much better than many of rivals. So Ritz will definitely continue to be in the same shape until it gets retired.
Old 7th March 2013, 18:54   #53
BANNED

I still feel the Ritz is more spacious and well organized inside with practical interiors. Have been using the Ritz for 2 years and I feel the seating is high and a commanding view like a SUV with fresh and airy interiors.

Yes the swift wins hands down on styling and handling when compared to the Ritz and more of fun to drive car. The Ritz is a little soft and bouncy in terms of handling. Handling, engine and interiors was the selling point for the swift when it was launched. Later the Ritz was launched where it was appreciated for having better interiors as compared to the old swift. If the Ritz gets a refresh again it may sport the same interiors as the New swift.

The premium that swift gets over the Ritz is a brand that swift had created for itself. People were looking for a baby swift when the Ritz but it did not click well due to the rear design which was a deal breaker for many.
Old 7th March 2013, 19:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

All said and done the swift has two things over the ritz. It looks better and has a better image in the market (sporty and premium).

The fact remains that the ritz is a better all round car but the look and image give the swift way more sales.

The price differential is not justified and if someone is not concerned about the looksor image, the ritz is the car to go for. Unfortunately most people in this country do want their car to be a statement about themselves which means the swift will get the nod.

Even if the two cars were priced the same the ritz would be my preference.
Old 7th March 2013, 20:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

May be its only me but I don't agree to the point that Ritz is better then Swift and I feel the difference is quiet justified.

IMO they are targeted to 2 different age groups, I may sound a bit harsh but that's what I feel.

Ritz - Someone who is mature or I would rather say someone in late late thirties and early forties and so on while Swift for someone young or young at heart.

I would say its the same difference between Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic. Later is equivalent of Swift.

While Ritz is a good all round car however Swift makes you feel young & refreshing apart from being technically superior then Ritz.

Look at these pics, you will understand what I'm trying to say here

Swift
Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?-suzukiswift_2005_800x600_wallpaper_2f.jpg

Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?-suzukiswift_2005_800x600_wallpaper_33.jpg

Ritz
Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?-suzukisplash_2008_800x600_wallpaper_1e.jpg

Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?-suzukisplash_2008_800x600_wallpaper_13.jpg

Rs 1.1 lakh premium for Swift D over Ritz D - Is it justified?-suzukisplash_2008_800x600_wallpaper_21.jpg

Its branding and positioning which plays major role in pricing.

Slightly
IMO the best thing which could happen to Ritz is 'Ertiga'! and the worst think which could happen to Swift is 'DZire'!

Last edited by HammerHead : 7th March 2013 at 20:24.
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 20:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

I assume you are only looking at the looks aspect. Most people here mentioned Ritz is better than Swift when it comes to rear seat comfort and I agree with them having experienced both the rear seats. In most cases, Indian car buying public usually considers the comfort aspect when their parents or grandparents get in the car as one of the factors while buying the car. It is unlikely to be a factor influencing the buying decision in the Western world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
OT but love these 5 spoke alloys on this Swift. I've been searching for this design for a long time but sadly I've never seen it in India yet.

Last edited by zenren : 7th March 2013 at 20:42.
Old 7th March 2013, 21:14   #57
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a July 2011 Ritz D.

I have driven the old swift and the Ritz on the highways and ghat sections.
If the Ritz has wider profile tyre's is not bad at all. It will satisfy most of them with its handling in indian conditions.

With the kind of roads and traffic we have in india, the Ritz D wont dis appoint with the handling if it has good tyre's.

There are too many practical advantages in the Ritz D. The Seating position, 60:40 rear seat spilt, Ingress/egress, Larger boot size, Back seat comfort, Fantastic leg space in the front seat too, Head room in the front and back, GC is very good, Airy interiors.

Paying 1 lakh premium and missing out on the these practical advantages is just not justified !!!

If your looking for a sporty car, FIAT PUNTO is the car !!! The new Swift is nothing in front of it IMHO.

Instead of paying 1 lakh extra over Ritz for the Swift and missing on practical features, it makes sense to buy the Punto.

The old generation swift was a better looking car IMHO, Suzuki should have just increased the wheelbase of that car to made more legroom on the back, instead of changing all body panels and making the Swift look more curvy from all possible angle's and blugy/bulky too.

So if you require a MSIL car only, it has to be the Ritz D which is a practical car, if you require a sporty car, youthful image etc, PUNTO is the answer.

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 7th March 2013 at 21:16.
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 00:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Yes,the clutch is indeed very hard,especially when one shifts from driving a vehicle with lighter clutch.I have pointed this to the service center people and they've also said that its hard.Why?They have no answer.

Ya, Me too have came across the above phenomena. The clutch pedal and steering feels heavy and gear knob feels hard.I have driven my friend's swift diesel and it was a damn easy thing. He just became frustrated about my car's hardness when he drove mine! I never bothered to trouble MASS on this issue and if I do, then poor guys will advice me to dismantle the transmission for scrutiny which I can't take

Last edited by junaid12345678 : 8th March 2013 at 00:39.
Old 8th March 2013, 01:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

If you love the dynamics of a car - how it corners, sweet handling and an overall feel good factor while pushing a car hard through the corners I think the premium is worth it. In the older Swift a bumpy rear seat used to be a compromise in return for better handling but that not a problem in the new Swift.

The Ritz is a practical run about while the Swift is a fun car that is practical as well - as long as you don't have too much luggage that is.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 8th March 2013, 01:15   #60
BHPian

Picture yourself having planned to purchase a B-segment hatchback. Imagine having saved up over some period of time and most likely, this is your 1st car or your 1st upgrade from a bike or some older or smaller car eg: maruti 800. You know that this is your one chance to buy something that you've been passionate about for a long time.

Some of us even face the pressure of family aspirations when it comes to deciding on a car that should please sall at home. In such a scenario, it is very difficult to sell the quirky looking Ritz even to oneself first and then maybe to the family. I mean, do you aspire to own a Ritz?

If this your 2nd car purchase or a practical switch eg: from a petrol car to a diesel car, it might make sense but otherwise, most folks would carefully select the car that is somewhat aspirational, a maruti/hyundai car for it's perceived low maintenance and something that the folks at home can live with and will even appreciate your decision.

I think that this is where the Ritz with it's quirky back end loses out to the Swift that looks more proportionate and has built up a reputation for itself over the years as a perceived good choice for a car purchase.

Last edited by sydras : 8th March 2013 at 01:23.
sydras is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks